Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I would absolutely watch a new set of randos make an alphabet meal every week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I hope there’s not a lot of food wasted, I’d be incredibly annoyed.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Not sure about food, but I'd watch the hell out of a construction-based one. Whenever they're asked to build something, be it tiny bridges or castles or boats, it ends up hilarious.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
Someone in a meeting said TASKMASTERCHEF and no-one realised they were joking.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Leraika posted:

hrmmmmm

on the one hand, the food and drink tasks usually are really funny, but a show of just food and drink tasks would have to work hard to make each task not monotonous (also I feel like a lot of cooking shows these days are becoming more like taskmaster lol)

I hope it's not going to be like that dumb Netflix show, where contestants have to build elaborate cakes in 5 minutes. That gimmick worked for exactly one day when people posted memes with hosed-up cakes, and I don't think that attracted a lot of viewers.

anilEhilated posted:

Not sure about food, but I'd watch the hell out of a construction-based one. Whenever they're asked to build something, be it tiny bridges or castles or boats, it ends up hilarious.

A slightly sillier Scrapheap Challenge could work.

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jul 4, 2023

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

The_Doctor posted:

I hope there’s not a lot of food wasted, I’d be incredibly annoyed.

It seems like Alex or somebody got some guff for wasting food in the early seasons, because basically whenever it comes up he's always quick to mention that everything that was used got eaten, which is a nice touch. Whenever something is just spilled or thrown away it's almost always liquor or tea or something.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Rochallor posted:

It seems like Alex or somebody got some guff for wasting food in the early seasons, because basically whenever it comes up he's always quick to mention that everything that was used got eaten, which is a nice touch. Whenever something is just spilled or thrown away it's almost always liquor or tea or something.

I think it's just a fairly common criticism of comedy food bits in general. TBH I don't know if they even need the disclaimer for Taskmaster since after 15 seasons it's become pretty clear that Alex will eat literally anything.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

anilEhilated posted:

Didn't they try this after the original Mythbusters run ended?

Rochallor posted:

In 'Guy's Grocery Games' they donate absolutely everything in that huge market to food banks and homeless shelters. Those donations must be absolutely crazy, considering that the grand prize is what, 10k USD per episode and the store arena is absolutely stocked to brim with all sorts of foodstuff, and I cannot believe that they can shoot more than 1 episode per day.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jul 4, 2023

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Paladinus posted:

I hope it's not going to be like that dumb Netflix show, where contestants have to build elaborate cakes in 5 minutes. That gimmick worked for exactly one day when people posted memes with hosed-up cakes, and I don't think that attracted a lot of viewers.

A slightly sillier Scrapheap Challenge could work.

There was some lovely food based engineering show on Netflix a few years ago where they had to make edible boats, houses, clothes etc. It was terrible.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Leraika posted:

hrmmmmm

on the one hand, the food and drink tasks usually are really funny, but a show of just food and drink tasks would have to work hard to make each task not monotonous (also I feel like a lot of cooking shows these days are becoming more like taskmaster lol)

I imagine it might be more like Cutthroat Kitchen mixed with Taskmaster.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

anilEhilated posted:

Not sure about food, but I'd watch the hell out of a construction-based one.

This is basically Kongen Befaler

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Kongen Befaler is more of a arson-based version...

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Tickets for Foodmaster went up this morning and I applied for a couple so we’ll see.

It’s described thus:

quote:

FOODIE ENTERTAINMENT SHOW

There's a new entertainment show with a foodie twist.
Produced by the makers of Taskmaster, this hysterical, boundary-pushing non-TX pilot recording will see five celebrity contestants you all know and love come together to celebrate food. Using their creativity, ingenuity and lateral thinking the celebrity contestants will compete in a delectable competition set to showcase their culinary creativity as they try to answer the question: Food is great, but how can it be improved?

It's food but not as we know it!

The show records at 4.45pm on Wednesday 19th July 2023 at is Riverside Studios, Hammersmith, London. If you would like to join us for an early evening of laughter, then apply now!

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

quote:

Food is great, but how can it be improved?
UK Foodmaster - make it rank and have Little Alex Horne eat it
NZ Foodmaster - eat while naked
Norwegian Foodmaster - set it on fire.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
ever mindful of food waste, the crew chowed down on what remained of the cake post-arse

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

I don't really get the big problem people have with food waste on TV. Fair enough if it's a massive amount of food, but nobody was going hungry if Dara O'Brien didn't get some old man to suck up the orange juice in his breakfast pan.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Phigs posted:

I don't really get the big problem people have with food waste on TV. Fair enough if it's a massive amount of food, but nobody was going hungry if Dara O'Brien didn't get some old man to suck up the orange juice in his breakfast pan.

Every successful program has 30+ copycats that go too and they’re all from the same capitalistic interest so its fine to criticize as a unified strategy. That’s not to mention viewer replication.

All that said, I agree that there are far bigger problems — but I do understand those who are more bothered, especially having faced food scarcity before, and I’d rather side with those bothered than the media.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Phigs posted:

Yeah, there’s an incredible amount of food waste on every tv show just from excess catering for the crew. The onscreen food waste probably doesn’t even compare but we actually see it happen

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Snowy posted:

excess catering for the crew

Gonna have to fight against this narrative here from any set I’ve seen or crewmember I’ve known this has always been a point skimped on

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Crew take a lot of food home with them, there’s a lot less wastage than you’d think from craft services.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

The thing that gets me is every time they release stray balloons up into the air.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Lol yeah the balloons always get me too. We had it really drilled into us at some point that you don't do that, and it's straight up illegal to release 20 or more balloons where I live. Though it doesn't make me angrily write in about it.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
The house is on a flight path, no less!

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I didn't realize it was Frank Skinner and David Baddiel behind the Three Lions song. I watched the music video again, and they were so young!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

evobatman posted:

I didn't realize it was Frank Skinner and David Baddiel behind the Three Lions song. I watched the music video again, and they were so young!

You should watch Richard Ayoade’s Travel Man episode with Frank Skinner. They go to Zurich and visit the FIFA museum there.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

The_Doctor posted:

Crew take a lot of food home with them, there’s a lot less wastage than you’d think from craft services.

I’ve been working in film and tv for 25 years, what I see is absolutely insane routine waste :shrug:

E- they often discourage bringing much food home too. If you happen to catch them right before it all goes in the trash then sure but that’s unlikely. Many caterers won’t put out the to-go containers because they don’t want people taking meals home with them

Snowy fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jul 5, 2023

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Snowy posted:

I’ve been working in film and tv for 25 years, what I see is absolutely insane routine waste :shrug:

It is quite plausible that everything within my experience has been uniquely slipshod — it’s not a component of my career and most of my associates whose careers it is are less likely to be on an active set, which I understand to have significance here as well. When they are it’s some independent short.

I did hear that bored ape thing from seth green was overcatered ig

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Nice to know a bored ape venture just had to add an additional method for wasting money.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Grassy Knowles posted:

It is quite plausible that everything within my experience has been uniquely slipshod — it’s not a component of my career and most of my associates whose careers it is are less likely to be on an active set, which I understand to have significance here as well. When they are it’s some independent short.

I did hear that bored ape thing from seth green was overcatered ig

Yeah it’s mostly just the shooting crew’s catering waste that’s so outrageous, especially on big productions. But I could also see it being very tough to improve the situation with such large volumes of food on very tight timelines and odd schedules.

I’m pretty sure I’ve seen single meals cause more food waste than the entirety of what I’ve seen on Taskmaster but I won’t ramble on about catering/craft service forever as much as I would love to :) I just do my part by putting as much of it in my belly as possible o7

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Maybe Alex goes through the catering leftovers after a day and whatever he can get becomes an identify the taste task.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

My Lovely Horse posted:

Maybe Alex goes through the catering leftovers after a day and whatever he can get becomes an identify the taste task his lunch.
Honestly, wouldn't surprise me.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I imagine different countries and different "levels" of production have different levels of catering expectations so a New Year's variety show in Japan is catered to differently than a panel show in the UK is different than big budget film in the US

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
Taskmaster AU series 2 cast was announced today.

Peter Helliar, Mel Buttle, Aaron Chen, Concetta Caristo and Rhys Nicholson.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Creature posted:

Ooh, the third name is going to be fantastic to watch

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I've been re-watching the show and it's really interesting how the lineup can really set the entire scene. Like I really enjoy the PEOPLE who are in series 6 but it feels so flat, just like in 3.
Whereas series 7 is just absolute gold

I can't even tell what it is really, the chemistry between the guests?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
The chemistry, how invested people are, the balance of people who are invested and who aren't...

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I have 2 tickets for Foodmaster next week and I’m 50/50 on going. It’s a non-transmission pilot, so I’m imagining it’s going to be super ramshackle.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Leraika posted:

The chemistry, how invested people are, the balance of people who are invested and who aren't...

I feel like everyone was invested in series 3 though

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Taear posted:

I feel like everyone was invested in series 3 though

chemistry is a strange thing I didn't mind series 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Taear posted:

I can't even tell what it is really, the chemistry between the guests?

Yes. The best series tend to be the one's where the show gets an almost 'summer camp' energy by the end of it. See Series 13 where it ends with them all doing Bridget's goofy dance in a circle together. Or TMNZ S2 where the cast did a bunch of things afterwards together.

I think it really makes the banter more engaging, and just the spirit of the show better because Greg can lean in on being the villain/school master. It's better when it's all of them against him, rather than a bunch of individuals against eachother.

Chemistry doesn't have to be friendship - S7, but the contestants all played off each other brilliantly. S14 was up there for me too for that same reason, but faltered a bit in that I didn't feel like O'Brien really had much or made much of an effort to have chemistry with the rest of the contestants.

Creature posted:

Where. Are. The. Aunty. Donna. Boys.