Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

There's cosmetics and map mods that you unlock through play.

Edit and racial mods too I think? I haven't played much since the first couple days of release

yeah some of the culture abilities, starting ruler weapon loadouts, and map options unlock in a metaprogression tree

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Ocean Book posted:

4x strategy game, but with metaprogression

That's a terrible idea because all it means really, is that you'd have to play N hours before you finally get to play the game as it's meant to be.

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi

Panzeh posted:

yeah some of the culture abilities, starting ruler weapon loadouts, and map options unlock in a metaprogression tree

that’s a start.

you should be spending your endgame score (gems) on an upgrade so all musketeers have +5 hp. there’s no cap but the gem cost increases by 13% every rank. your power scaling is immediately nullified as you start your next run in ng+++++ for a 3% modifier to gems earned. you pay me 15$ a month, plus another 45$ for the anime catboy musketeer skin

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Whenever I encounter a game with metaprogression the first thing I do is use CheatEngine to give myself a bunch of metaprogression currency and unlock everything, then I see if the game is still fun when everything is unlocked. Some games like AoW4 are still fun with everything unlocked. A lot of games aren't and you quickly realize that the dopamine drip of unlocks was the only thing keeping you playing.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

starfield is gonna be goty for several years

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Panzeh posted:

bad news, it's already happening, see age of wonders 4

Starcraft 2 started doing this with their coop mode, too, like 5 or so years ago

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

3 DONG HORSE posted:

starfield is gonna be goty for several years

it's going to be awful

itry
Aug 23, 2019

It's going to be a Bethesda game.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i watched some of the gameplay footage that has come out and there's some cool worldingbuilding and fun roleplaying stuff but it also definitely looked like enemies were shooting their guns randomly at walls and and in most of the combat footage they just kind of run around in little circles on the ground and take occasional shots at you while you jetpack all over the place. i didnt see any space combat but i would expect that to be even worse.

the ship designer looks pretty cool tho

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I'm betting Starfield is going to be a lot like Skyrim: It will be a good enough game with enough new or innovative features to make a splash, then within a few years everything unique it does will be a part of every new game, and Starfield will feel dull and boring in comparison the games being released then.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
You're going to have to explain to me which feature from Skyrim was new and innovative. It isn't significantly more robust than Morrowind, Oblivion already added map markers and a journal that doesn't suck, and if anything imo it took out everything that was game-breaking in fun ways that players could exploit creatively, like a defacto Fly spell by boosting your Athletics to 65535 with drugs. It's just a bland mess of percentage-based bonuses and on-hit effects, and well we've had those since Diablo at the very latest

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Starfield will be skyrim but with guns instead of bows and loading screens that look like space ship doors

It'll be a 9/10 game to most reviewers and it will still have zero fun gameplay and questionable animations because it's skyrim in space

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I'm looking forward to the super linear dungeons and the lack of reason to freely explore anything because a quest will direct you to all points of interest sooner or later

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

satanic splash-back posted:

Starfield will be skyrim but with guns instead of bows and loading screens that look like space ship doors

It'll be a 9/10 game to most reviewers and it will still have zero fun gameplay and questionable animations because it's skyrim in space

Fallout 4 was already Skyrim with guns

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

skyrim with guns in space still sounds better than skyrim with guns in boston

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

deep dish peat moss posted:

I'm betting Starfield is going to be a lot like Skyrim: It will be a good enough game with enough new or innovative features to make a splash, then within a few years everything unique it does will be a part of every new game, and Starfield will feel dull and boring in comparison the games being released then.

What new or innovative features did Skyrim have? It was just Oblivion with better graphics and dragon shouts.

Starfield is going to be the newest, shiniest Bethesda game and since no one else is really making those to nearly the same level that Bethesda does it will probably be very successful.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Earwicker posted:

skyrim with guns in space still sounds better than skyrim with guns in boston

Earwicker but three months from now posted:

it turns out skyrim with guns in space happens to look and feel almost exactly like skyrim with guns in boston

who knew there were so many irradiated mesquite tree trunks on alpha centauri

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
What about Star Citizen?

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Outpost22 posted:

What about Star Citizen?

not enough skyrim in its ancestral blood

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Starfield will be a massive let down for the people who give a poo poo about it. Everyone else will look at it and yawn.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
People who play Bethesda games are literally incapable of critical thought. They'll say things like "it wasn't fun but it kept me busy for 3,000 hours for only $90 so it was a good value and therefore goty".

Eventually the mod kits will come out and people will say that with mods it's the best Elder Scrolls game, the faintest of all possible praise.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 14 days!)

space is just a hard genre for me to get excited about even though i think it's cool in theory. you've really got to bring some creativity to the setting and characters to make it work as an actual story, otherwise i'd have more fun just sitting and imagining my own aliens. fictional tech is so boring to me.

and bethesda based on everything i've seen from them are not people who excel in creativity. everything about starfield to me looks like mass effect: chrome sandbox edition.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
Also their implementation of "NASApunk" misses the mark.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I thought starfield looked mildly interesting until I saw the combat and promptly fell asleep

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Fur20 posted:

You're going to have to explain to me which feature from Skyrim was new and innovative. It isn't significantly more robust than Morrowind, Oblivion already added map markers and a journal that doesn't suck, and if anything imo it took out everything that was game-breaking in fun ways that players could exploit creatively, like a defacto Fly spell by boosting your Athletics to 65535 with drugs. It's just a bland mess of percentage-based bonuses and on-hit effects, and well we've had those since Diablo at the very latest

Skyrim let you knock plates and cups off of a table by shouting at it super loud, I'm not sure why most other games have not adopted this innovative new rear end in a top hat physics feature

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

George posted:

People who play Bethesda games are literally incapable of critical thought. They'll say things like "it wasn't fun but it kept me busy for 3,000 hours for only $90 so it was a good value and therefore goty".

Eventually the mod kits will come out and people will say that with mods it's the best Elder Scrolls game, the faintest of all possible praise.

Fallout 4 is the worst game I've ever beaten and I only beat it because it was hand-occupyingly mindless enough to free me to listen to a years backlog of podcasts and then eventually a bunch of old radio scifi serials and the pre-TV version of the George Burns and Gracie Allen show.

I assume Starfield will be No Man's Sky flavoured FO4 and I will once again catch up on my radio shows.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Most of Skyrim's "innovation" isn't in the form of never-before-seen features, it's the fact that every RPG since Skyrim has taken a whole lot of inspiration from Skyrim (due to its popularity, not because it's some stellar amazing game). Tons of games have wacky physics abilities now, because everyone loved it in Skyrim (yes, other games did it first). Even Farcry's now-incredibly-generic-because-it's-everywhere open world system was influenced by Skyrim's open world (FC2 had a very different type of open world, FC3 came out a year after Skyrim).

It took a bunch of features that were present in niche RPGs (including previous games in its own series) and it shoved them into something with mass appeal, which made those niche features industry staples that you now can't escape.

Starfield's going to do the same thing. There are plenty of games right now with rad ship builders, but once Starfield comes out every game is going to have a rad ship builder for a while. Etc. But within a year everyone who plays lots of videogames is going to forget about Starfield except for when the yearly rerelease happens and we all groan about how people are still talking about Starfield.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
What games have rad ship builders because that's one of the things I'm most excited for

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

big black turnout posted:

What games have rad ship builders because that's one of the things I'm most excited for

Rad ship builders is like an entire genre. I got really into Cosmoteer for a while last year
https://store.steampowered.com/app/799600/Cosmoteer_Starship_Architect__Commander/

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256898088/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1683141963

And Stardeus is good if you want something less combat-oriented. It's like Rimworld on a spaceship (bunch of games have tried this concept but this is the only good one IMO)
https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256909656/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1665588396

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jul 4, 2023

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

roomtone posted:

space is just a hard genre for me to get excited about even though i think it's cool in theory. you've really got to bring some creativity to the setting and characters to make it work as an actual story, otherwise i'd have more fun just sitting and imagining my own aliens. fictional tech is so boring to me.

and bethesda based on everything i've seen from them are not people who excel in creativity. everything about starfield to me looks like mass effect: chrome sandbox edition.

yea the last game set in space that i really enjoyed was Prey, but thats a completely different genre

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Most of Skyrim's "innovation" isn't in the form of never-before-seen features, it's the fact that every RPG since Skyrim has taken a whole lot of inspiration from Skyrim (due to its popularity, not because it's some stellar amazing game). Tons of games have wacky physics abilities now, because everyone loved it in Skyrim (yes, other games did it first). E

Yeah think of how many games were released with spells and stat systems after Skyrim did it, really makes u think

e: oh and swords! Tons of games were released with swords after Skyrim had swords!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

big black turnout posted:

Unironically: the original Kingdom Hearts

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Really Skyrim draws an incredible parallel to Breath of the Wild. BotW took a bunch of features from other games and presented them to an audience that had never seen open-world games before (people who only have Nintendo consoles). Skyrim gave an RPG to people who otherwise wouldn't play RPGs, and is therefore part of why every game now has RPG mechanics.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

satanic splash-back posted:

Fallout 4, but in space, so emptier, but with more base building because you have to scan rocks and make fuel

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Also moddability is a huge Elder Scrolls innovation overall. Elder Scrolls, Warcraft 3, and Half Life are basically the three games that pioneered massive mod scenes. ES was doing that before Skyrim but Skyrim is when the general public got into ES and saw how cool mods can be (and also how terrible they can be)

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Really Skyrim draws an incredible parallel to Breath of the Wild. BotW took a bunch of features from other games and presented them to an audience that had never seen open-world games before (people who only have Nintendo consoles).

i kind of get what you are saying about botw but how was the skyrim audience people who had "never seen open world games before"? there were plenty of very mainstream open world games for major consoles well before skyrim.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

edit: I misread what you said oops

Skyrim was the game that introduced RPGs to players who didn't play RPGs, similar to how BotW was the game that introduced open world games to people who had never played open world games. In Skyrim's case it's because it was essentially a FPS with RPG mechanics, so it enticed FPS players with its fun wacky physics and first-person action adventuring. And nowadays every FPS has RPG mechanics.

e: Like, yeah Oblivion had some of that stuff. But Oblivion has sold under 10 million copies to date, while Skyrim has sold over 60 million.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jul 4, 2023

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Skyrim and Bethesda games in general offer a ton of content first and foremost. Ubi games are actually small games mechanically and content wise compared to any Bethesda RPG.

e: I see the BOTW comparison about introducing the type of game to new people, but BOTW is very clearly aimed at children with the gameplay keyword being "interactible"

Vic fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jul 4, 2023

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Skyrim was the game that introduced RPGs to players who didn't play RPGs, similar to how BotW was the game that introduced open world games to people who had never played open world games. In Skyrim's case it's because it was essentially a FPS with RPG mechanics, so it enticed FPS players.

how did Oblivion not already do that though?

i mean i guess since there are always new generations of people coming into gaming there's technically always someone who's never played an rpg before. but like i dont think Skyrim was the first open world rpg to hit a mainstream audience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

e: Like, yeah Oblivion had some of that stuff. But Oblivion has sold under 10 million copies to date, while Skyrim has sold over 60 million.

true, but thats partly because Bethesda has been releasing Skyrim over and over again for a decade now, and hasn't released a major new ES game since then. if they'd made new Special Editions of Oblivion with updated graphics for newer consoles, or versions for Switch or iOS or graphing calculators and so on, those numbers would be bigger too.