Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

This ROCKS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
That triple pass reverse pass thing was crazy

chamois
Oct 24, 2010

if you had told me 2 years ago that shane van ginsbergen would beat justin haley at the chicago street course, i would've called you crazy

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
NASCAR refuses to have a fun ending this year. Goddammit.

chamois
Oct 24, 2010

bubba...

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
That's a great visual with the L going by behind them. I wish there'd been more overhead shots with the fountain in them with cars going around

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

^^ that shot is SO cool

glyph fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jul 3, 2023

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

haha YESSS!!!

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

is that the married with children fountain?

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Tuned in for a shitshow, but that might have been the best race of the season.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

CPD going to come out and tune him up for those burnouts.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

stealie72 posted:

Tuned in for a shitshow, but that might have been the best race of the season.

Same, I came for the carnage, but instead found incredible door to door action.

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

This absolutely slaps.

chamois
Oct 24, 2010

imagine doubting the street course

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Man SVG gonna put on some jandals and put a couple of beers in the chillybin and have a brew and maybe some chups eh bro?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

spaceblancmange posted:

is that the married with children fountain?

Yes

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
That dude rules and is happy but obviously won a ton of races and is slightly confused how pumped everyone is

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

I keep wanting to say this was a bad race but it might be the best race of the year. Coolest winner of the year for sure.

If the weather wasn’t poo poo and they started at a normal time, 100 laps would have been pretty cool. I’d be down with this track again next year.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

That was loving awesome and I want more.

Words I would have never thought I would say in regards to a loving street race with NASCAR.

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006
They should absolutely do this race again next year, even with the weather they had a great event

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Douchebag posted:

I keep wanting to say this was a bad race but it might be the best race of the year.

It absolutely can be both. It wouldn't be the first time a race had its flaws but wound up with a kick-rear end finish.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

what a loving race

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

huge props to justin haley by all accounts he should have been eaten alive but he held real strong for p2

CodFishBalls
Jul 1, 2023
The race owned balls despite being limited in passing, the traffic jam, and the 100 year storm drowning the weekend out.

Do it again NASCAR.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

Like a couple others have said here just a complete 180 for nascar this weekend. From a boring {in my opinion} xfinity and the weather shutting down all the hype to the greatest race of the year.

I'm sure it would be very different in the dry and the full 100 tho.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

algebra testes posted:

Man SVG gonna put on some jandals and put a couple of beers in the chillybin and have a brew and maybe some chups eh bro?

He asked "What do I do now?" on the cooldown lap. :allears:

Banzai 3
May 8, 2007
I'm only here for the weekly 24 bitchfest.
Pillbug
Hello I am the aforementioned Banzai from discord, Chicago resident, and racing shitposter.

I think NASCAR throwing the rulebook out the window for the Xfinity finish sucked. Teams pitted at the caution thinking they would have time to move because the race was not official. NASCAR absolutely did the right thing by not trying to run on Monday. Either nuke the results like it never happened or update the book for a contingency situation like this.

Similarly, NASCAR hosed some of the Cup leaders by deciding to shorten the race in the middle of the pit cycle. They absolutely shortened to the right distance, but doing it in the middle of the cycle was not at all fair. I hate how long the cautions were, but they should’ve kept the pits closed another lap, announced the revised distance, and let teams figure it out with full information.

That said, the racing was fun, the NBC camera shots were inspired, and even if the city is getting a raw deal this is worth doing again.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

I don’t see how the city is getting a raw deal? The setting was cool, the lead up anticipation was questionable, the end result was excellent to watch.

I mean this thread probably had more posts today for this race than any other race in a very long time.

Banzai 3
May 8, 2007
I'm only here for the weekly 24 bitchfest.
Pillbug
The outgoing lame duck mayor gave quite a sweetheart deal relatively speaking. Cheap permit fees, long periods of public park and street closures. This gets into Chicago politics but the number of private events tying up public space is grating on locals.

https://www.nbcchicago.com/investigations/nascar-permit-agreement-reveals-new-details-about-race-coming-to-chicago/2910896/

quote:

The NASCAR race coming to Chicago next July could tie up a portion of Grant Park for over a month, which is more than twice what was previously expected, according to the event's permit agreement obtained by NBC 5 Investigates.

That's one of several new details revealed by the permit agreement between NASCAR and the Chicago Park District, obtained via Freedom of Information Act request, that multiple Chicago aldermen said even they had not previously seen.

Mayor Lori Lightfoot announced the event last month: NASCAR's first-ever urban street race scheduled for July 1 and 2 of next year. The deal between the city is for three years, tentatively slated to take place over the Fourth of July holiday weekend in 2024 and 2025 as well.

The newly obtained 46-page permit agreement reveals an option to extend the deal for 2026 and 2027 as well. It also shows that NASCAR will be given a staging window for a portion of Grant Park west of Buckingham Fountain that will last for 21 days before the race and then 10 days after. For the rest of the event site, including portions of DuSable Lake Shore Drive, Columbus Drive, Congress Plaza Drive and more, the staging window will be nine days prior and three days after.

“What we're doing is basically renting downtown and Grant Park to this private enterprise," 2nd Ward Ald. Brian Hopkins said.

NASCAR will pay the city $2 per ticket sold, excluding corporate suites and VIP passes, as well as a percentage of net commission on food and beverage: 15% next year, 20% in 2024, then 25% in 2025, according to the permit agreement. In addition to a portion of ticket sales, the agreement says NASCAR will pay the city a permit fee of $500,000 for next year's event, $550,000 for 2024, then $605,000 in 2025. The event is expected to potentially draw 100,000 attendees.

"Compared to what we get from Lollapalooza, we get $6 million from Lollapalooza’s permit payments, we’re going to get under a million from NASCAR for tying up downtown and Grant Park during the summer," Hopkins said.

NASCAR will also get use of the Petrillo Band Shell from Wednesday through Sunday of the event week and retains the exclusive broadcast rights as well as 100% of the proceeds from sponsorship sales, according to the agreement. It also notes that the Park District has granted NASCAR "the exclusive right to conduct automobile motorsports racing events at Grant Park" during the agreement, which runs through the end of 2025.

"This is going to be a very profitable event for NASCAR with all of their marketing, with all of their branding, and all of their side deals, they’re going to do quite well on this, they’re making dollars and we’re making pennies," Hopkins said.

"This is a bad deal for the taxpayers. Even if you’re a NASCAR fan, the city left a lot of money on the table," he added.

The agreement also reveals that the city and NASCAR have agreed to "coordinate the content and timing of all public statements and press releases" and that neither "shall make any public statements, to the press or otherwise, which portray the other party in an unfavorable light."

"Judging from the details we are just learning now, it's pretty obvious why the Administration forbade NASCAR from sharing the terms of the deal with the alderpersons who represent impacted communities: the more we learn, the worse this deal gets," 42nd Ward Ald. Brendan Reilly said in a statement, adding, "I congratulate the media for obtaining the contract via FOIA, because that document still had not been shared with members of the City Council."

The permit agreement also notes that NASCAR will pay the Park District a $50,000 security deposit for each year of the event for any damages that may occur. It does not specify what repairs NASCAR is required to pay if needed, only that a third-party landscape contractor will submit a damage assessment and restoration estimate after the event for NASCAR and the Park District to review.

"I find it incredible that the City believes a $50,000 'security deposit' is sufficient to secure tens of millions of dollars worth of city infrastructure in and around Grant Park - for an auto race that sometimes involved major car crashes," Reilly said.

Both Hopkins and Reilly said they believed City Council should have had more input on this event and are pushing to amend the rules so that in the future, deals like this would require Council approval.

Neither the Chicago Park District nor Choose Chicago's Chicago Sports Commission responded to requests for comment.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

I'm still trying to wrap my head around how an event that looked like it was going to have all the grace of someone stuffing their keys down their garbage disposal swung into something entertaining in three hours flat.

Not only that, it kept getting better. At one point, SVG was told he had 9.6 seconds on the next car, only to win the thing with cars in tow.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†

I recorded the race to see the poo poo show but that rave was amazing. SVG looked head and shoulders above everyone else on the track talent wise. .

CodFishBalls
Jul 1, 2023

lamentable dustman posted:

I recorded the race to see the poo poo show but that rave was amazing. SVG looked head and shoulders above everyone else on the track talent wise. .

man was fast and knew what he was doing. I suppose being a three time champ and racing on quite a few more street circuits than the average cup driver will do that!

Now to see if the race will be back because as Banzai said, the deal is ah, quite bad for the city!

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

kidcoelacanth posted:

huge props to justin haley by all accounts he should have been eaten alive but he held real strong for p2

Haley used to race TA2, he's not just an oval guy.

I remember seeing him run near the front at the Glen back in... 2016?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Haley has always been extremely strong on road courses.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

trevorreznik posted:

That's a great visual with the L going by behind them. I wish there'd been more overhead shots with the fountain in them with cars going around

That shot owned

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

• Most-watched NASCAR Cup Series race on
NBC in six years, since Indianapolis in 2017 (5.647 million) and NBC Sports' eighth-most watched race under its current rights agreement;
• Most-watched NASCAR Cup Series race on any network since Daytona 500 (FOX; Feb. 19; 8.173 million);
• Projected to be the most-watched sporting event of the weekend;
• Up 144% vs. NBC Sports' second Cup Series race of the 2022 season (USA Network; 1.962 million; Road America)
• Up 72% vs. NBC Sports' 2022 Cup Series average on NBC (2.784 million)
• Most-streamed NASCAR Cup Series race in
NBC Sports history with 163,500 viewers across
Peacock and NBC Sports digital platforms

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Douchebag posted:

• Most-streamed NASCAR Cup Series race in
NBC Sports history with 163,500 viewers across
Peacock and NBC Sports digital platforms

That seems... Uhhh. Scary?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

It was a fun race. But future races if they happen will probably be lovely like everyone expected. Lots of stuff lined up to make it a fun race. From the wet track to the tire barriers that eat cars, it's a perfect mix for a fun race.

Also cool that a 1st timer won the race. Nascar should say gently caress the rules and give him a spot in the playoffs.

PatrickBateman
Jul 26, 2007
Well this sucks.

https://www.insider.com/nascar-contractor-electrocuted-at-chicago-street-race-autopsy-2023-7

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

It is quite shocking.