Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

https://mastodon.gamedev.place/@noelreports@mstdn.social/110656479456523567

quote:

Because of the persistent traffic jams on the Crimean bridge due to car inspections, Putin decided to allow the flow of vacationers through the occupied regions of Zaporizhzhia, Donetsk and Kherson.

What kind of mega-moron do you have to be to not only vacation in an active war zone, but to decide that getting there by driving through an even more active war zone is a good idea?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Only 28.5% of Belrusians speak Belrusian in their house. That's pretty wild.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

The_Franz posted:

What kind of mega-moron do you have to be to not only vacation in an active war zone, but to decide that getting there by driving through an even more active war zone is a good idea?

Russia media heavily plays down everything. It probably told them that the war was no where near there and Ukraine is getting wrecked by real men.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

At this point, probably the main value of Bahkmut is that it fixes the opposition there so they can't be used elsewhere. And by extension, the men and materiel Russia must use and replenish to continue to invest the town also can't be used elsewhere. If the cost can be borne by continuously attriting the defense there, and the replacements, it serves a purpose. Ukraine may also feel the political gain makes the cost worthwhile: losing Bahkmut may have an adverse political effect for Russia and that alone may be worth the cost.

But in the end, the risk/reward equation for Bahkmut is very different for both parties. It's Ukrainian territory and they need not justify the attempt.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Tai posted:

Only 28.5% of Belrusians speak Belrusian in their house. That's pretty wild.

Right. Ukrainian and Belarusian were actually in similar positions back in 1991, but government policy and social attitudes have made all the difference since then. For example, Zelensky gives all of his domestic speeches in Ukrainian, despite being a native Russian speaker.

lushka16
Apr 8, 2003

Doctor of Love
College Slice

Phlegmish posted:

Even the Ukrainian speakers who migrated from the countryside ended up basically being forced to adopt Russian for reasons of prestige and social mobility.

Good point. My dad said that it was considered uncool (i.e. uneducated, uncultured) to be heard speaking Ukrainian.

lushka16
Apr 8, 2003

Doctor of Love
College Slice

NoiseAnnoys posted:

any chance they were from the karpat'ska rus, if you don't mind my asking? that was one of the last yiddish speaking areas in central europe that remained after the second world war.

I had to look up karpat'ska rus, but yes! That's exactly the region.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

RockWhisperer posted:

If this earlier NYT piece is any indicator, there is home-grown pressure to speak and adopt Ukrainian. I remember reading from Tim Snyder somewhere (might be from On Tyranny) that the pace at which Russian language books were being collected and destroyed early on in the war was causing alarm among scholars that it would disadvantage those struggling to adopt Ukrainian and destroy rare and valuable works. No doubt the East will remain Russian speaking, but I could foresee change in areas of more mixed language use. It seems evident that Ukrainian is becoming the lingua franca.

Something I have also wondered is whether there will be a large migration of Russian speakers westward into majority Ukrainian speaking areas due to economic hardships from the war. If so, it could dilute the Russian language in Ukraine.

Oh absolutely, people are making an effort switching to Ukrainian, or surjic (Russian-Ukrainian hybrid dialect) even in private.

Not sure about migration - our friend from Kharkiv, when city was under shelling, went westward with family to take refuge in Ivano-Frankivsk and it was tough: there are no jobs there and locals still are quitely prejudiced against people from the east. Thankfully she is back home now. Most migration already happened in 2014 when people left Donetsk, once a thriving city, either to Russia or other central/eastern Ukrainian cities, depending on what connections they had at the moment.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

The_Franz posted:

Honestly it looks like Putin knowingly baiting tourists to be killed by a stray shell so Russian would be able to martyr them. Or he (and the tourists that would dare) are lobotomized into sense of security by TV.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
Suck-Me-Own-Cock Gobbler

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Tai posted:

Russia speed dialing it's way to the top of the rankings on being the most polar opposite country in regards to communism and yet a sizeable amount of tankies are communist is still something I continually struggle to grasp.

But Russia has free healthcare!! Check mate!

Good guys/bad guys thinking. If America is an empire, and it is, then whoever opposes it must be anti-imperialist, even if they've themselves been a genocidal empire since before Columbus got off the boat. Tankies cannot deal with the fact that there are no good guys among the sovereign states, and that no state will ever bring about a society free of exploitation because states literally cannot exist without exploiting their subjects. :anarchists:

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Ukraine scored 5 air kills with a patriot battery. I don't think it was today but that is an absolute record.

I think they are talking about the instances of claimed friendly fire over beryansk that were later revealed to be patriot batteries.

Lol at the amount of data the US is getting from Ukraine using generation old anti air system s.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

GABA ghoul posted:

Does "running out" have a much narrower meaning in English than in other languages?

I’m not English native speaker, but it implies that you’re soon to reach 0 if nothing is actively done, i.e running out of air.
I think it technically can be used in the broader sense - but many if not most people will think of the narrow usage

A clearer way to say it would be “They’re running out of artillery shells faster than they can replace them”. If I were to say it I’d say “their rate of fire is unsustainable”

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I'm gonna say that Russian artillery won't actually stop until all means of producing shells and artillery literally shut down or are blown up. Instead, they'll probably just slow down the rate of artillery fire, or save up their rusted garbage until the time comes for them to make another ineffectual push.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

CommissarMega posted:

I'm gonna say that Russian artillery won't actually stop until all means of producing shells and artillery literally shut down or are blown up. Instead, they'll probably just slow down the rate of artillery fire, or save up their rusted garbage until the time comes for them to make another ineffectual push.

Supposedly they're already finding Russian positions stocked with rotting 80+ year old shells.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/GloOouD/status/1676223654932168704
That's the end of another Mig-31.

Vaginaface
Aug 26, 2013

HEY REI HEY REI,
do vaginaface!
Can we allow the Ukrainians to put Patriots in Alaska lmao

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
Prigozhin gets back ten billion rubles ($111m) cash and more seized after mutiny

quote:

According to local St. Petersburg outlet Fontanka, Yevgeny Prigozhin has had boxes of cash that were seized during his mutiny returned to him. Authorities took possession of the cash during a search related to the mutiny.

Fontanka reports that Prigozhin’s driver, who had been granted power of attorney, came to collect the money on July 2. A total of ten billion rubles ($111m) and hundreds of thousands of dollars in cash, as well as five bars of gold.

Investigators initially didn’t want to return the seized property. “But, judging by yet another reversal, a higher power intervened,” Fontanka writes.

higher power intervened :confused:

Also massive explosion reported near Donetsk in Makiivka, likely some ammo dump

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Lmao that prigozhin gets to do a coup and not only gets away with it, he gets his money back too. Lmao.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

HonorableTB posted:

Lmao that prigozhin gets to do a coup and not only gets away with it, he gets his money back too. Lmao.

A bunch of money...maybe a bottle of perfume, too!

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Coup will be successful or your money back.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Here we go...

They're gonna loving do it aren't they

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jul 4, 2023

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Draw a picture of a Ukrainian flag and your dad gets thrown in jail

Stage a military coup and you get rewarded with a paid vacation to Belarus

DiCe69
Dec 21, 2014

fatherboxx posted:

Oh absolutely, people are making an effort switching to Ukrainian, or surjic (Russian-Ukrainian hybrid dialect) even in private.
My girlfiend already does this surjic one often, she says many people from her village where she grew up do this. The children are even taught english in schools at young age now as well.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

This is so so hosed

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
https://twitter.com/WarMonitors/status/1676299884427636741

Something want bang

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

HonorableTB posted:

Putin forgot to offer him receipt so he got his order refunded.

Burns
May 10, 2008

HonorableTB posted:

Here we go...

They're gonna loving do it aren't they

Russians have consistently acted with a certain maliciousness this entire war so far. Why wouls this be any different? Right because its loving stupid but they absolutely do not care.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Anti-radiation units brought in

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Losing a war despite being a superpower? Cause a radiation disaster! Sovereign countries hate this one weird trick

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
If that dipshit irradiates Europe the mood is gonna get super ugly.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

If the contamination reaches the international waters at the Black Sea, or Poland or Romania that's the NATO's "we get directly involved"-red line, right?

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

I don't think they're going to irradiate anything. They're going to take all the fuel and blow the gently caress out of the plant so they have nothing of value when they take it back over.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Tarkus posted:

I don't think they're going to irradiate anything. They're going to take all the fuel and blow the gently caress out of the plant so they have nothing of value when they take it back over.

Pray tell, how do you take fuel from a nuclear power plant that has recently been operating?

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

spankmeister posted:

Pray tell, how do you take fuel from a nuclear power plant that has recently been operating?

very carefully :haw:

... :ohdear:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

spankmeister posted:

load it into the back of a truck and drive it out, duh

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

spankmeister posted:

"Platoon, take fuel!"

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

spankmeister posted:

I hope they don't try to top the stupidity of digging in around Chornobyl.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

spankmeister posted:

True, I guess they'd be hot for quite some time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burns
May 10, 2008

Lmao they are going straight to red alert 2 demo trucks.