Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Am I reading that right? The Pentium 3 went up to 1.4ghz?

My first one was like 450mhz, kinda shocked they went that fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Humphreys posted:

If anyone has any Intel PIII-S 1400Mhz 1.4Ghz 512K SL5XL CPUs for cheap I need a few! Totally not for my time machine.

Does the train at the end of BttF 3 make the DeLorean obsolete?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
went on a walk and found this burnpile on an oilfield road full of old nokia faceplates, floppy discs, vhs tapes, and cassette tapes...all ruined but still interesting.

I think it was from an old gas station

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Guy Axlerod posted:

My brother had some Richard Scarry's Busy town "game" that also had CD audio. It started playing "welcome to busytown" over the Quake demo.

this needs to be on youtube

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Late to the show, but did someone say big box computer games and applications?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I see the Duke Nukem Forever collector’s edition, even turned facing in. You can’t hide your shame from me!

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Arivia posted:

I see the Duke Nukem Forever collector’s edition, even turned facing in. You can’t hide your shame from me!

I bought a copy of duke nukem forever off of gamefly way back when because it was like $2.50 to own a historical trainwreck and they shipped me multiple copies lol

Guess they really need to get rid of them

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

You Am I posted:

Late to the show, but did someone say big box computer games and applications?

Oh man, Atari Power Pack! I remember finding it, Atari ST + monitor, and Police Quest II complete in box for $20 at a white elephant sale at my high school about 15 years ago.

Some quality games in that collection iirc.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Oh boy, a big box copy of The Dig? Other good adventure games in the adventure game portion, too, but the Dig is just the bee's knees.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
My favorite big box was Full Throttle. What an awesome game!

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Nocheez posted:

My favorite big box was Full Throttle. What an awesome game!

I missed both The Dig and Full Throttle when they came out because they were CD titles and I didn't have a CD drive.

I played them many years later and enjoyed both. I'm generally a big LucasArts fan and play through the classics every couple of years.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I guess I'll jump in with my whole collection. It's normally organized but I went through a bad breakup and it's been a mess since.

A lot of the boxes are kinda lovely but I replace them with better ones as I get them. Unfortunately in trying to collect old big box PC games, a lot of them come from "this box of poo poo I found in my dad's attic" and mold and such wrecks a lot of them.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Weird Pumpkin posted:

I bought a copy of duke nukem forever off of gamefly way back when because it was like $2.50 to own a historical trainwreck and they shipped me multiple copies lol

Guess they really need to get rid of them

My similar but less depressing story was when I bought Dragon Quest VIII from the EB Games bargain bin. I saw them slap in two discs and thought it was cool that I was actually getting the FF12 demo as well. Got back to my place and I had two copies of DQ8 in my hands. There were two cases of DQ8 in the bargain bin, so I called the store to make sure I wasn't screwing anybody over by having their copy of DQ8. Turns out the store still had two discs to go with the one case they had, so I and another lucky soul both ended up with bonus copies to share around.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I understand keeping game boxes (at least if they have games in them) on shelves because where else would you store them - I keep books and movies on shelves too. But "displaying" a boxed computer (or a computer box) just strikes me as being exactly the same as using the box my coffee maker came in as some sort of decoration.

(Then again I have plenty of space to keep the boxes in cabinets so :shrug:)

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I understand keeping game boxes (at least if they have games in them) on shelves because where else would you store them - I keep books and movies on shelves too. But "displaying" a boxed computer (or a computer box) just strikes me as being exactly the same as using the box my coffee maker came in as some sort of decoration.

Do you also throw your DVDs into binders and trash the cases?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

wa27 posted:

Do you also throw your DVDs into binders and trash the cases?

Do you also not understand English?

e: Wait, that's a stupid question as obviously you don't. My bad.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

They are kind of a decoration. But every person that sees it for the first time is intrigued by it. The boxes aren't only decorative; most of them contain all the stuff that it came with originally. Those old maps, instruction booklets, little trinkets that come with it, it's all super neat. And these are hard to find, now; I don't collect DVD boxes or modern boxes because they're all uniform and plain. There weren't standard sizes for these boxes, so they came in all kinds of awful, bulky, unwieldy shapes that were a hassle to put on store shelves.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
This is my wall of shame of the games I worked on, I never bothered saving any other boxes

That is the PC version of Falcon 4.0's binder stacked on top in the last two images.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Nice collection! I dusted off my MDD G4 and got OS9 running and wanted to get some big box Mac games but they’re not too common barring some of the very popular ones. It’s not even easy to find loose copies of any of the Marathon games anymore. I figured it was due to the weird boxes (I think at least Durandal had a weird triangular box?) but the stupidly shaped boxes for Tomb Raider and FFVII still seem to be out there.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
I see Alpha Centauri there, which by itself, if you worked on it in any capacity, will suffice to absolve you of your sins. Goddamn that game ruled.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Nocheez posted:

Am I reading that right? The Pentium 3 went up to 1.4ghz?

My first one was like 450mhz, kinda shocked they went that fast.

AFAIK, the P-III’s above 1.0ghz(excepting the infamous recalled 1.13 version) were Tualatins, which weren’t a drop-in on most mobos, including the then-ubiquitous 440BX chipsets. I think they take a lower core voltage than everything else.

There were slotkets and Socket 370 adaptors available at the time to backfit them into existing motherboards, with varying results re stability. I have a 1200 and a 1400 in a couple of fairly primitive motherboards that are stable and I can downclock them for retro gaming with 98SE and run them at full speed for slightly-less-retro use on Win2K.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
I wish I still had all my big boxes. They got lost in a move about 15 years ago

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

You big box collectors need to get youtubers to put out videos on how cool and rare your stuff is, to drive up demand.

I had a small collection of big box PC games in nice condition I had to get rid of for the space, like 2 or 3 years ago. Got basically 20 cents a box for them. The demand is so low for some reason, even though they look great on shelves, have a ton of fun feelies inside them, and often times if you have a CD drive (or USB floppy drive) you can get them to work with some effort on modern machines. Mine were mostly pre-CD key, and the ones with keys didn't internet verify.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

This is my wall of shame of the games I worked on, I never bothered saving any other boxes

That is the PC version of Falcon 4.0's binder stacked on top in the last two images.

On the one hand, you have some excellent games and entertainingly dumb games there. On the other hand, YOU FUCKER! YOU SON OF A BITCH! YOU KILLED BLOOD! ITS DEATH IS BY YOUR HANDS!

What work did you do on the games, in general, by the way?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Groke posted:

I see Alpha Centauri there, which by itself, if you worked on it in any capacity, will suffice to absolve you of your sins. Goddamn that game ruled.

I did. many years ago, I worked in Hunt Valley, Maryland, and then in St.Paul, Minnesota, as first a Team Leader for outsourced QA and then a Project Manager/Director of Operations. During that time, I got to work on and see a poo poo-ton of cool and absolute trash games.

Randalor posted:

On the one hand, you have some excellent games and entertainingly dumb games there. On the other hand, YOU FUCKER! YOU SON OF A BITCH! YOU KILLED BLOOD! ITS DEATH IS BY YOUR HANDS!

What work did you do on the games, in general, by the way?

Started out as outsourced QA and Tech Support for Hasbro Interactive, then moved to handling all the QA (effectively) for MacSoft and WizWorks along with QA Team Lead on a ton of stuff for Firaxis, Activision, GT Interactive, and way too many other companies before I started doing Project Management for them.A good story is working on both Heavy Gear II and Mechwarrior 3 at the same time with the same test team while being under NDAs to both companies who didn't know we were working on the other project. Compare and Contrast indeed!

Humbug Scoolbus has a new favorite as of 21:23 on Jul 4, 2023

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Shoutout to barbie jewelry designer

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
You don't get a choice on what you work on...

gently caress Glover and H.E.D.Z until the end of time!

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

You don't get a choice on what you work on...

gently caress Glover and H.E.D.Z until the end of time!

Fair point, it explains why there aren't more barbie games and a glover sequel

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Fair point, it explains why there aren't more barbie games and a glover sequel

Fun Fact!
When we were testing our in-house bug-tracking software, the Test Project was named Glover vs. Predator. Somewhere in Baltimore Maryland is the game box we presented to our lead coder when it was completed.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Fun Fact!
When we were testing our in-house bug-tracking software, the Test Project was named Glover vs. Predator. Somewhere in Baltimore Maryland is the game box we presented to our lead coder when it was completed.

You know, you see people say fun fact, but it's rare that it's actually fun. That's awesome :allears:

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

JnnyThndrs posted:

AFAIK, the P-III’s above 1.0ghz(excepting the infamous recalled 1.13 version) were Tualatins, which weren’t a drop-in on most mobos, including the then-ubiquitous 440BX chipsets. I think they take a lower core voltage than everything else.

There were slotkets and Socket 370 adaptors available at the time to backfit them into existing motherboards, with varying results re stability. I have a 1200 and a 1400 in a couple of fairly primitive motherboards that are stable and I can downclock them for retro gaming with 98SE and run them at full speed for slightly-less-retro use on Win2K.

Sounds about right, cool stuff. Thanks for sharing!

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

:hai:

I count Alpha Centauri among the best science fiction I have ever encountered, despite its open-ended storyline and lack of conclusion due to being, you know, a game instead of a literary work.

Still, the setting and concept and gameplay, and especially the characterization of the faction leaders, are just that good. There's a reason you still sometimes see Morgan or Yang or Zakharov (or any of the others) being quoted in response to real-life stuff.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

How hilarious is Who Wants to Beat Up a Millionaire?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
My copy of Alpha Centauri isn't in great condition but it is still shrink wrapped.

The General posted:

How hilarious is Who Wants to Beat Up a Millionaire?

I'll have to check out some undoubtedly hilarious streams of it. I did kinda chuckle that the host is named Egregious Philbin.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Dungeon Siege rules

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Powered Descent posted:

I count Alpha Centauri among the best science fiction I have ever encountered, despite its open-ended storyline and lack of conclusion due to being, you know, a game instead of a literary work.

It angers me that they haven't just remade that and Master of Magic. Update the graphics and interface and give them a decent AI, and change nothing else.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Civilization: Beyond Earth goes in one of those "This isn't what we wanted" categories like Duke Nukem Forever or Fallout 76.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Powered Descent posted:

:hai:

All good sci-fi is more about philosophy than technobabble, and Alpha Centauri is exceptionally good with painting the philosophical differences between the faction leaders and making them actually mechanically relevant to gameplay in ways that hasn't been done since. It's just such good writing and design!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Sometimes I go back and play beyond earth, but no it's not the same. One thing that was cool about SMAC was the elevation.

Probably you could pull off some insane bullshit with BE but idk if it let you do poo poo like gently caress over everyone else by raising sea level