Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Virtual Russian posted:

The monoliths and infantry come from chaostemple.cz, which used to be Trolls Under the Bridge. The Obelisks are forumware, research tells me they specifically are "otterware", but I have no clue where to get them. I got a metric ton of forumware in a shoebox off a guy at a tournament a while back. There is so much in there, lots is garbage quality, but there are still some great pieces. There are some great looking Defilers I'm going to build soon.

Lol, otterware - not sure if that guy is still going but I bought the exact same minis from him like 15 years ago or something, plus some incredible 6mm Chaos Defilers, so if they're the same ones you're a very lucky man. He threw in a bunch of random cool poo poo for free too.

At the same time another poster had the first 40k-accurate 6mm Tyranid casts but refused to sell to most people, sadly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Cease to Hope posted:

You write your roster blind, but pick operatives from it after you know what your opponent is running. Most teams can fit every operative they actually want on a roster with ease, anyway.

Most bespoke teams are balanced around the idea that you are counterpicking your team's best operatives for the matchup. The handful of bespoke teams that can't counterpick are stronger in other ways to compensate (and often some of the best teams in the entire game).

Ohh awesome. I like that a lot more than the alternative. But because your roster is blind, you still wouldn't pick e.g. whether your Kasrkin sergeant has plasma pistol chainsword or bolt pistol power sword in response to the enemy, right?

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

You can have multiple loadouts in your 20 man roster like leaders with any option or gunners with three different gun options.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
I played Warcry against someone who isn't a member of my friends or family the other day (thankfully the person WAS a friend by the end of the game! :) ) and it was real close, neck and neck. It would have been an absolutely wash if I had drawn any twist besides the Ash Cloud from Red Harvest.

My opponent was Kharadron, and them even being playable in Warcry is frustrating because they have insanely high toughness, HP, AND guns that deal an insane amount of damage at a range of literally over 50% of the board. I lost because the objective was positioning based and I forgot to mention but many Kharadron can fly and I was piddly lil 3-inch-at-a-time undead. As I said, it was close, but it would have been hilariously one-sided if not for the ash cloud reducing all of his abilities and whatnot to 3 inches.

Anybody know any good counters? I had to rejigger my list because I was fighting with a Matched Play list when I was supposed to be playing Path to Glory, so to keep my skeleton theme I included a Hell Knight from off the shelf to rush in and make things inconvenient for him, but my only other idea is "just don't fight him", which seems kind of mean :<

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Annointed posted:

He used all Hierotek Circle Tac ops

Just so you know, with crit ops you can only select ONE faction tac op.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Legit Businessman posted:

Just so you know, with crit ops you can only select ONE faction tac op.

And you'd never take any of them other than Unearth Whateveritscalled anyway. I play a lot of Circle, and I take Retrieve Item, Unearth, and Secure Vantage on open boards 99.999% of the time because they are so easy to max out w/ that team.

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

Z the IVth posted:

I remember that at one point PP was big enough that it had it's own printed hobby magazine. Their modelling articles were very good though all that scenery was redundant seeing as the games were being played with flat terrain (or was it a Mk3 thing?).

Thirsty Dog posted:

That magazine was great. No Quarter got me into Warmahordes in the first place.

Check out who used to run No Quarter and now runs White Dwarf (Lyle Lowery)! I guess it's a very specific skillset to have with only really a few magazines in the space.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

SuperKlaus posted:

Ohh awesome. I like that a lot more than the alternative. But because your roster is blind, you still wouldn't pick e.g. whether your Kasrkin sergeant has plasma pistol chainsword or bolt pistol power sword in response to the enemy, right?

You would pick in response to knowing the enemy faction/roster of 20, but not what selections they had made from their roster. So you'd know whether you were facing chaos cultists or adeptus custodes and could choose accordingly.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Has anyone seen the price for the new Epic yet? As much as I hate to support FOMO, and I am concerned with GW abandoning the game as they got a million "big things" their unlocking in a row, I gotta make sure I get a pre-order of this.

I just want a good map based Epic Campaign.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
10mm questing knights complete

strips:

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Has anyone seen the price for the new Epic yet? As much as I hate to support FOMO, and I am concerned with GW abandoning the game as they got a million "big things" their unlocking in a row, I gotta make sure I get a pre-order of this.

I just want a good map based Epic Campaign.

We likely won't find out the price until next month, but similar starter boxes like Titanicus & Necromunda cost around £105-110 / $170 US.

Sounds like this won't be a temporary product too. Normally GW use the term 'launch box', but the Epic version has been described more like HH's starter set last year which is kept in stock.

Nebalebadingdong posted:

10mm questing knights complete

Those look great!

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Heads up for those who still play Aeronautica Imperialis - all the non-Heresy planes are on Last Chance to Buy. They're going away for the forseeable future so the rest can get folded into the new Epic.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Thirsty Dog posted:

Lol, otterware - not sure if that guy is still going but I bought the exact same minis from him like 15 years ago or something, plus some incredible 6mm Chaos Defilers, so if they're the same ones you're a very lucky man. He threw in a bunch of random cool poo poo for free too.

Otterware, in the previous incarnation, is currently defunct, mostly due to time and space constraints. Also, metal casting is kind of pricey ATM, so it's difficult to compete with someone on Etsy churning out prints from an STL they got on Telegram.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

The Deleter posted:

Heads up for those who still play Aeronautica Imperialis - all the non-Heresy planes are on Last Chance to Buy. They're going away for the forseeable future so the rest can get folded into the new Epic.

That's a shame, looks like it's getting dropped as it's own game essentially.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
It is. I think there's a degree of sense given they have already laid groundwork to pivot AI to the HH though. For now the non-HH flyers would be somewhat of an orphan line compared to the marine flyers and AT titans who crossover into HH Epic.

I think its likely we'll see them return at some point as part of an expansion to Epic, but it's best not to count on that if you want them.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jul 5, 2023

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
it did not seem like there was a lot of uptake for the non-ork xenos factions anyhow. dunno if that was just because AI was on the downslope, though.

it really doesn't help that the non-navy, non-ork designs were not particularly inspired

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

berzerkmonkey posted:

Otterware, in the previous incarnation, is currently defunct, mostly due to time and space constraints. Also, metal casting is kind of pricey ATM, so it's difficult to compete with someone on Etsy churning out prints from an STL they got on Telegram.

Metal casting 6mm has always been incredibly dicey unless you had your own spincasting business.

Really hard to compete when there are people selling entire tank companies for a tenner.

Brigade Models tank - £1.50 metal
Vanguard miniatures tank - £3 metal
Typical etsy tank - £2-3 resin.

Cease to Hope posted:

it did not seem like there was a lot of uptake for the non-ork xenos factions anyhow. dunno if that was just because AI was on the downslope, though.

it really doesn't help that the non-navy, non-ork designs were not particularly inspired

All they had to do was release a new Manta but no they had to make Necrons.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Z the IVth posted:

All they had to do was release a new Manta but no they had to make Necrons.

i don't think the lack of a third blunt triangular flying wing was what was holding tau or AI back

the generic imperium has a coherent aesthetic with usually discernibly different designs that speak to their role. orks have a coherent aesthetic, although their gribbliness makes it difficult to tell what most planes do or the difference between plane classes outside of the most extreme examples.

pretty much ever other faction has one design that is spindled, folded, and mutilated into three or four plane classes. in the case of tau, it isn't even an interesting design, just a flying wing with a bunch of poo poo on it.

there are a couple of good outliers: the star-wars-ripoff-in-a-good-way xiphon, the tau drones and their implication that maybe there's some other approach to air combat that isn't first-half-of-the-20th-century. but they came way too late to have much impact.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

berzerkmonkey posted:

Thirsty Dog posted:

At the same time another poster had the first 40k-accurate 6mm Tyranid casts but refused to sell to most people, sadly

Man, it figures that in this thread I could throw out "otterware" and multiple people instantly know what I'm talking about. Was this just one guy's garage operation? I know nothing beyond the name, and that I have some pieces. Forumware fascinates me, I love hearing about it. Epic spent nearly a decade with only decentralized community support keeping it alive, forumware seems like a huge reason it kept going.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
It was definitely home grown. Designed by one person, investment casts done by an outside party, and then molded and cast up by a casting company.

It later changed hands for reasons and became a full garage operation, but circumstances changed, and things were difficult to maintain, so it was shelved.

It's probably for the best, as GW is going to be flexing its muscle with a new version of epic, and lawsuits are expensive.

But yeah, people like Otterman definitely kept the community going in lean times. He's a good guy and deserves a lot of credit for what he did.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I know the new coolness is the Horus heresy epic, but I’m not interested in that at all. I think I might have finally convinced my brother to play - using printed proxy minis.

Does anyone have recommendations for space elf fleets and alien hives ? I am happy to pay a content creator, they don’t need to be freebies!

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Virtual Russian posted:

Man, it figures that in this thread I could throw out "otterware" and multiple people instantly know what I'm talking about. Was this just one guy's garage operation? I know nothing beyond the name, and that I have some pieces. Forumware fascinates me, I love hearing about it. Epic spent nearly a decade with only decentralized community support keeping it alive, forumware seems like a huge reason it kept going.

I've actually dealt with him before - he bought my garage cast Homeworld ships and I bought his garage cast Homeworld ships. I still have the Vaygr BCs and random Starfire stuff in a box somewhere.

Those were the days. If you wanted to get something 3D printed the only people who could do it for hobbyists was Ninja Magic. Not like today when it's millions of pirated Patreon stls and Etsy.

Didn't get around to trading Epic though as it was after my time and he'd packed up shop already.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Lumpy posted:

Are there a lot of printable proxy models for this scale?

Yes. Check out Cults3d, there are a ton. I'm not being a smartass when I tell you to try Google - something like "epic scale rhino STL" will bring up a lot of results from Yeggi.

Yeggi is kind of an STL index page that bridges the gap between popular search terms and the coded terms creators use to avoid getting cancelled by James Porkchop.

As for scaling, this maniac has been working on it like a computer detective in a 90s movie:

Based on his work (and my calipers), I upscaled some assault guys to 128% to try matching the GW scale on 25mm bases.

(Plastic AT knight for scale)

Based on that, I don't think 25mm bases really need five dudes on them, especially if they're equipped with oversized gear or armor. (Or have extremely open poses like these do.)

I need to play with the scaling more - or maybe my basing is too busy. It could be these sculpts' ridiculous jump packs, but it still doesn't look correct.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Please feel free to call me a dumbass for this train of thought, but the fact that they're explicitly calling the Epic box set "Legions Imperialis" (or "-Legions- Imperialis". How are the little arrows around Legion supposed to be read?) and that it covers all the "main" HH imperial armies means that they likely have plans for Xenos armies? I know we wouldn't see Necron or Tyranid, but Ork, Votann, Eldar and Daemons would be pretty cool down the line.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

If the game sells well, nothing is out of the question

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
the main advantage of 30K from GW's perspective is that it is space marines and friends so it can have fewer necessary SKUs to support at a time. 28mm 30K has not, to date, been successful enough to have any non-space-marine force be anything but an abbreviated resin-only line, and all of them were still reasonable additions to a space marine army. take from that what you will.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

moths posted:

Yes. Check out Cults3d, there are a ton. I'm not being a smartass when I tell you to try Google - something like "epic scale rhino STL" will bring up a lot of results from Yeggi.

Yeggi is kind of an STL index page that bridges the gap between popular search terms and the coded terms creators use to avoid getting cancelled by James Porkchop.

As for scaling, this maniac has been working on it like a computer detective in a 90s movie:

Based on his work (and my calipers), I upscaled some assault guys to 128% to try matching the GW scale on 25mm bases.

(Plastic AT knight for scale)

Based on that, I don't think 25mm bases really need five dudes on them, especially if they're equipped with oversized gear or armor. (Or have extremely open poses like these do.)

I need to play with the scaling more - or maybe my basing is too busy. It could be these sculpts' ridiculous jump packs, but it still doesn't look correct.

Am I being dumb or is that guy completely ignoring the angled perspective with his calculations

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Thirsty Dog posted:

Am I being dumb or is that guy completely ignoring the angled perspective with his calculations

That’s why he says “around 10mm” I guess?

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

I know it has been mentioned that the bases are confirmed to be 25mm, but drat…that seems too small. 28mm seems more likely from the images. It just seems off to me.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Ugh I'm starting to remember why I never finished painting my HH army... I can't decide on a legion :negative:

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/07/06/heresy-thursday-unleash-a-pack-of-dire-wolf-scout-titans-with-a-new-plastic-kit/

Unexpectedly, the Dire Wolf titans released in FW resin just 12 months ago are becoming a plastic kit. Looks like two in a box, plus more choice of weapon options.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
That's a really interesting development. The Dire Wolf seems to have been a popular kit, but I would not have expected it to be ported to plastic. Perhaps we'll see plastic Armigers, and more resin titan weapons put onto sprues. Certainly seems a lot more realistic after this news.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Thirsty Dog posted:

He sorta is, but he's also set the vertical measure stick as close to the known horizontal measurement. (Near the midpoint of the base.) At most you're gaining or losing less than a mm, I think.

I'm going to print some regular Marines later and see if they're more in-line with what GW has shown. These assault packs each eat up a marine's worth of real estate.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

That's a really interesting development. The Dire Wolf seems to have been a popular kit, but I would not have expected it to be ported to plastic. Perhaps we'll see plastic Armigers, and more resin titan weapons put onto sprues. Certainly seems a lot more realistic after this news.

I hope we get some new titan / knight content before they port anymore existing stuff into plastic. Was mostly looking forward to see the oft-mentioned Rapier scout titans done as one of the first plastic kits in this new wave. That seemed like a great fit for the new Epic as an infantry- and vehicle-harassing titan which could also slot into AT games too.

Plastic Armigers would be great to have eventually though. £35 for three gretchin-sized models is pretty nuts.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

xtothez posted:

Plastic Armigers would be great to have eventually though. £35 for three gretchin-sized models is pretty nuts.

You say that as though GW wouldn't just keep charging Forge World prices for releasing then in plastic.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Roller Coast Guard posted:

You say that as though GW wouldn't just keep charging Forge World prices for releasing then in plastic.

Did they do that with any of the other kits they switched from resin to plastic? Honest question, I don't know all the kits that went from resin to plastic and how their pricing went.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Randalor posted:

Did they do that with any of the other kits they switched from resin to plastic? Honest question, I don't know all the kits that went from resin to plastic and how their pricing went.

The 28mm heresy stuff got a lot cheaper. Standard marine resin infantry were something like £30-45 for five models, and are now sold in plastic at £50 for twenty. Tanks like land raiders went to around half price when they moved to plastic.

Not sure Epic would get the same level of savings though, as their pricing is definitely based on projected future sales.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Honestly, I think that worst case you'd get 9 instead of 3 in a box at the current resin price, more likely they would be 9 with the price reduced by a third which would bring them roughly in line with Questoris.
Greedy as GW naturally are, they do want product to shift, and the biggest reason for moving a kit from resin to plastic is volume of sales.

For example, I expect those Dire Wolves to be priced the same as Warhounds, so instead of £37 for one in resin it'd be £45 for two.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jul 6, 2023

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I'm kinda expecting a Dire Wolf upgrade sprue like the ones that makes your Marines into Iron Hands or Black Templars.

Am I misremembering or was there an emphasis on combined arms in the presentation? A rock-scissor-paper type balance might mitigate the foreseeable problem of facing nothing but titan legions and knight houses for the first few months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial

xtothez posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/07/06/heresy-thursday-unleash-a-pack-of-dire-wolf-scout-titans-with-a-new-plastic-kit/

Unexpectedly, the Dire Wolf titans released in FW resin just 12 months ago are becoming a plastic kit. Looks like two in a box, plus more choice of weapon options.

Dang, I just got the AT starter box after epic 30k was announced hoping that it would be compatible (and I'm pumped that it is) but I also got 2 extra warhounds and I wish I waited to get these instead

Edit: No mention for how to get the AT command terminal for it

Ristolaz fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jul 6, 2023