Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

Wait what do you mean the 1.0 Fire Temple music? Is there supposed to be different music in there?

This is what the music was in the first release. I’m not sure what was playing in the most recent video. It kinda sounded like the shadow temple music but chopped up and rearranged. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
The story with the Fire Temple music is that it samples Muslim prayer chanting, and apparently Nintendo didn't realize that before release. Since they don't really like tying their franchises to real-world religion or politics, it was replaced in subsequent versions.

There's one other thing that was replaced in later versions for similar reasons, but you haven't gotten to it yet.

Incoherence fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jun 8, 2023

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Incoherence posted:

There's one other thing that was replaced in later versions for similar reasons, but you haven't gotten to it yet.

Actually, they have! Sort of. The one you're thinking of is later, but the same symbol shows up elsewhere - on movable blocks, like the ones in the Forest Temple. In the original release those blocks had a crescent moon and star on them, very similar to the symbol of Islam (as seen on the national flag of Turkey, for example).

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I thought I'd gotten all pieces of heart in the game once, but now I doubt it, because I don't recall the one you get from roof guy at all.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Incoherence posted:

The story with the Fire Temple music is that it samples Muslim prayer chanting, and apparently Nintendo didn't realize that before release. Since they don't really like tying their franchises to real-world religion or politics, it was replaced in subsequent versions.
I believe the exact same sample is what got the obscure original Xbox fighter Kakuto Chojin: Back Alley Brawl pulled from distribution a few years later.

It also appears in Cruis'n World, including the N64 version which came out a few months before Ocarina.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Still loving the reactions - getting scammed out of a good sword like that ::allears:

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
There's three slightly different versions of OOT on the N64, and while the majority of fixes are bug fixes, in 1.2 the Fire Temple music was changed, among a few other cosmetic changes you'll see later. All three builds were finished before release but *generally* the gold carts are 1.0, the grey carts were usually 1.1, and "Player's Choice" cartridges are aways 1.2. I had a 1.0 grey cart because I tried some very elaborate glitches I learned on GameFAQs.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

DoubleNegative posted:

This is what the music was in the first release. I’m not sure what was playing in the most recent video. It kinda sounded like the shadow temple music but chopped up and rearranged. :psyduck:

Incoherence posted:

Ohhhhhhhhh. Nothing seemed off to me when I was playing/recording the Fire Temple. But that music sounds very familiar, and that story is ringing a lot of bells. I kinda wish I got the original music in there, but not sure how I would have done it. Oh well.

davidspackage posted:

I thought I'd gotten all pieces of heart in the game once, but now I doubt it, because I don't recall the one you get from roof guy at all.

I think it's just not a very memorable one.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

24 - The Fire Temple

Link braves the heat of the Fire Temple in order to free the captive Gorons.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
"Skull-tu-la" is now the way I hear that name in my head when I see it written somewhere. It's so charming.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I..

I've played Ocarina of time like 10+ times and I had no idea about the secret room in the Fire temple.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
A lot of scarecrow places are easy to miss!

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Those rolling boulders are kind of polite. "Sorry, did I hit you? I don't have eyes. I'll just go the other way, have a good day."

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Natural 20 posted:

I..

I've played Ocarina of time like 10+ times and I had no idea about the secret room in the Fire temple.

TwoPair posted:

A lot of scarecrow places are easy to miss!

This one is particularly notable though. Most of the time Pierre opens up a shortcut, or at most will allow you to access a Gold Skulltula. This one is a whole big room with a puzzle sequence and everything. It's kinda crazy that it's optional.

davidspackage posted:

Those rolling boulders are kind of polite. "Sorry, did I hit you? I don't have eyes. I'll just go the other way, have a good day."

Yeah they are annoyingly deliberate in their timing. They sit there for several seconds watching you suffer, and then slowly start rolling away.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Natural 20 posted:

I..

I know about it because a romhack either FPZero or Artix played had it as mandatory for progression.

EDIT: I thought people were talking about the cubby in the main lava area and not the Scarecrow's Song room. That I've known about since I was a kid, but IIRC my brother had the official strat guide for OoT.

Commander Keene fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jun 15, 2023

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

TwoPair posted:

"Skull-tu-la" is now the way I hear that name in my head when I see it written somewhere. It's so charming.

I know how to pronounce it and that's how I've always said it anyways.

fatsleepycat
Oct 2, 2021

Commander Keene posted:

I know about it because a romhack either FPZero or Artix played had it as mandatory for progression.

EDIT: I thought people were talking about the cubby in the main lava area and not the Scarecrow's Song room. That I've known about since I was a kid, but IIRC my brother had the official strat guide for OoT.

That's Nimpize Adventure, which FPZero played and made both the cubby and the Scarecrow's Song tower mandatory.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

OK so it was Nimpize, I wasn't sure. Those two have played so much Ocarina at this point.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

25 - Volvagia

Link claims a legendary weapon and lays the smack down on an evil dragon.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Since you guys were wondering: as I understand it, shooting Volvagia with arrows while it's flying doesn't do damage, but does make it stop attacking and go back underground sooner.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Huh, I never knew you could knock the fire guys out of their big flaming suits with the hammer. I suppose I always just did the thing that I already knew worked from the first time.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The Megaton Hammer is the coolest weapon that I never utilized enough. I love video game weapons that are supposed to be so powerful, they shake the screen.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
It is physically painful watching you plant magic beans and not bug the soft soil to get the skulltulas out of them.

I remember being so annoyed by medigoron over the sword that I threw all my bombs at him. It didn't do anything but I felt better afterwards. Also, the fact that you haven't obtained Bombchu's is a bloody crime. They are so useful, especially against later enemies when you suck at sword fighting.

I have to ask, does the bug that allows you to turn objects in your inventory into bottles work in this version? You start to swing a bottle at a fairy or something, then pause and switch the item in that slot to, say, your magic beans, and then it becomes a bottle containing the item you swiped. It worked on the console version I played as a kid. Great way to softlock the game, or to have extra fairies if you, like young me, really sucked at playing ganondorf tennis.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Explopyro posted:

Since you guys were wondering: as I understand it, shooting Volvagia with arrows while it's flying doesn't do damage, but does make it stop attacking and go back underground sooner.

This would make a lot of sense. I had someone in the comments say it does some damage, it just can't get the final hit. And that would also make sense.

sebzilla posted:

Huh, I never knew you could knock the fire guys out of their big flaming suits with the hammer. I suppose I always just did the thing that I already knew worked from the first time.

Yeah the hookshot works just as well, and I almost always have it assigned to a C button so it was my go-to.

TwoPair posted:

The Megaton Hammer is the coolest weapon that I never utilized enough. I love video game weapons that are supposed to be so powerful, they shake the screen.

The hammer is so cool but I don't think it does much (if any) more damage than the sword, and it comes with all the drawbacks like being slower, lower range, and not being able to block. It's too bad, but it kinda gets relegated to a utility tool for rusty switches and that's it.

Pickled Tink posted:

It is physically painful watching you plant magic beans and not bug the soft soil to get the skulltulas out of them.

I remember being so annoyed by medigoron over the sword that I threw all my bombs at him. It didn't do anything but I felt better afterwards. Also, the fact that you haven't obtained Bombchu's is a bloody crime. They are so useful, especially against later enemies when you suck at sword fighting.

I have to ask, does the bug that allows you to turn objects in your inventory into bottles work in this version? You start to swing a bottle at a fairy or something, then pause and switch the item in that slot to, say, your magic beans, and then it becomes a bottle containing the item you swiped. It worked on the console version I played as a kid. Great way to softlock the game, or to have extra fairies if you, like young me, really sucked at playing ganondorf tennis.

At this point I'm trying not to waste time with Skulltulas (mostly). And I don't know about the glitch, I was never big into glitching Ocarina of Time so that one is news to me.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

The hammer is so cool but I don't think it does much (if any) more damage than the sword, and it comes with all the drawbacks like being slower, lower range, and not being able to block. It's too bad, but it kinda gets relegated to a utility tool for rusty switches and that's it.

For what it's worth, a quick check to the wiki claims it does the same damage as the Master Sword.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Should've been as much damage as the Giant's Knife/[REDACTED] Sword, just in item form. It does take up both hands, after all.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

You know the glitch of how the crouch stab takes the damage and properties of the last attack you did before it? Works with the hammer.
Use the hammer once, then take your sword and start crouch stabbing and you can destroy boulders and stuff.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

You can use it to absolutely clown the miniboss of the next temple though. That makes it all worth it.

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013

Pickled Tink posted:

You can use it to absolutely clown the miniboss of the next temple though. That makes it all worth it.

That's how I always handled that fight. My wife, meanwhile, just button mashed her way through and steamrolled with normal attacks somehow.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

26 - Who You Gonna Call?

Link busts some ghosts before heading over to visit the Zoras.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Man the Big Poe subquest is so drat annoying. I've only finished it once and any other time that I played the game like the 3DS release, just totally skipped it. I mean, I guess it's actually appropriate for archery on horseback to be hard but still, what a hassle.

Also I totally didn't remember that the poe shop owner says that if he looked like Link he'd quit the ghost trading biz and whore himself out for cash

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jun 28, 2023

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe
It is kind of disappointing that you basically skipped the poe quest on video. So much bad joke opportunity squandered. As a freshly minted teenager, poeing in a bottle and selling it was the height of comedy.

I'm also sad because it means I'll likely never know if you can sell the big poe to the bottle lady you can sell everything else to and how much that would be worth.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
SorryNotMorrie can refresh her memory of episodes past with these handy cartoon summaries:

Something About OoT: the 3 Spiritual Stones
Something About OoT: the Forest Temple
Something About OoT: the Fire Temple
(rife with memes and loud sounds, but they still crack me up)

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Pickled Tink posted:

It is kind of disappointing that you basically skipped the poe quest on video. So much bad joke opportunity squandered. As a freshly minted teenager, poeing in a bottle and selling it was the height of comedy.

I'm also sad because it means I'll likely never know if you can sell the big poe to the bottle lady you can sell everything else to and how much that would be worth.
I imagine that they wouldn't let you lock yourself out of the final bottle by selling one of the ten Big Poes, I don't think the trader will take them.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

27 - The Ice Cavern

Link braves the cold in order to find out what happened to the Zoras.

davidspackage posted:

SorryNotMorrie can refresh her memory of episodes past with these handy cartoon summaries:

Something About OoT: the 3 Spiritual Stones
Something About OoT: the Forest Temple
Something About OoT: the Fire Temple
(rife with memes and loud sounds, but they still crack me up)

Morrie would probably like these a lot, but I am not going to show them to her until the LP is over because I don't want her quoting/referencing them lol

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.
"Oh look, the sun ... can we shoot at it?" was such a perfect moment.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
I just turned 49, so yes, I am actually "old". But I'm okay with it.

Mostly.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

EricFate posted:

"Oh look, the sun ... can we shoot at it?" was such a perfect moment.

I saw this comment before I watched the video.

It's an understatement.

What on earth happened?

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Ship of Harkinian is a strange beast at times. I’m going to blame it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Natural 20 posted:

I saw this comment before I watched the video.

It's an understatement.

What on earth happened?

This always works.

The "fill the lake" part of the hint refers to the fact that normally, you need the Water Temple's item to actually make it over to that island, so there's no point to shooting the sun yet (the internet says you can get around that by using the bean plant or the scarecrow's song).