Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I went through this show over the last few days and loved Homelander and the media satire (some of those parodies are so funny and so authentically shot and edited). Deep's arc is very funny. By season 2 I was sick of the Hughie/Butcher crew and was skipping their scenes. Butcher is grating and I hate that Jack Sparrow thing the actor does where he leans his head forward and says something clever out the side of his mouth.

I came away from it thinking there's one very good and one very lame show in the one show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
It's refreshing to see a show where superheroes are so utterly terrible at using their powers. Only a minority of them actually use them effectively and it's only because they take if seriously. Like Deep having a whale beach itself to block the speedboat.

Also seems like a running gag with the show runners to have Huey get blasted with human/whale/etc giblets in nearly every goddamn episode. Poor guy has gotta be so dead inside. Like he didn't even run out of the whale screaming in disgust, he was so resigned to it at that point he just needed a moment to sit down inside the whales guts.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

snoremac posted:

I went through this show over the last few days and loved Homelander and the media satire (some of those parodies are so funny and so authentically shot and edited). Deep's arc is very funny. By season 2 I was sick of the Hughie/Butcher crew and was skipping their scenes. Butcher is grating and I hate that Jack Sparrow thing the actor does where he leans his head forward and says something clever out the side of his mouth.

Yeah, I've found myself skipping a lot of the Butcher and Hughie scenes. Not sure if I dislike the actors or the characters but I just don't find their story that interesting.

Homelander has me glued to the screen though. I'd be hard-pressed to think of actors with more presence than Antony Starr.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I think Butcher is just a piece of poo poo human and his only redeeming quality is that he’s a protagonist. I wouldn’t skip his scenes on a first watch but on a rewatch if I ever do that I’d prolly skip everything he’s in just because I can’t stand him.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I'll be a voice in the wilderness and say that I like the wee Hughie - Billy Butcher scenes. I agree with Boris Galerkin that Billy Butcher is an awful abomination of a human being, and the show itself agrees with this read since Frenchie and MM both dislike him, too. What's interesting is that as the show goes on and wee Hughie develops a relationship with Starlight, who has a conflicted view of Vought and ultimately herself, she becomes a counter-balance to Billy Butcher being an awful monster all the time, but she also becomes complicit in his machinations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

snoremac posted:

I came away from it thinking there's one very good and one very lame show in the one show.

I wouldn’t skip his scenes. His toxic personality is very important to the story. Butcher is a protagonist, but he isnt a good person, and is really just one side of the same coin to Homelander. The big difference with Butcher, that makes him an equally good character alongside Homelander, is that Butcher ends up regularly bettering other characters, especially Hughie. It’s just that he typically does it through being an absolute piece of poo poo.

it looks like Butcher will be gone from the show by the end of season 4 anyways based on where his story is going.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

I said come in! posted:

it looks like Butcher will be gone from the show by the end of season 4 anyways based on where his story is going.

What makes you say that?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I can see someone thinking that based on the very end of the last season, but I don’t think so

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Open Source Idiom posted:

What makes you say that?

Butcher's brain liquifying due to Insta-V?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
nah some supe with healing powers will fix him so they can do another season

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Rewatching the last season and I feel the time skip with Hughie becoming a Wunderkind Fed under Victoria Neuman and his disillusionment would have hit a hell of a lot harder if we'd actually seen the progress they'd made during that time.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Rewatching the last season and I feel the time skip with Hughie becoming a Wunderkind Fed under Victoria Neuman and his disillusionment would have hit a hell of a lot harder if we'd actually seen the progress they'd made during that time.

He was working with a politician. He wasn't making progress.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Yeah they weren't making real, actual progress. That's kind of the point iirc.

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

Megillah Gorilla posted:

She was working with the opposition to make it seem like they were doing something while not actually accomplishing anything of note.

See also: Washington DC

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Whether or not butcher dies after killing homelander is low-key a really big deal for the themes of the show.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

show, while still good, has declined in quality, especially season three

hoping four turns that around because i can see a future in which we all watching boys season six wishing it had just ended gracefully years earlier

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Open Source Idiom posted:

What makes you say that?

Abusing compound V, doctor at the end of the season gives him like 6 months left to live. But I can also see him not dying. I hope they don't go the route of curing him at the end after building up what could be an intense season waiting for his death. That would feel cheap.

Wheeee posted:

show, while still good, has declined in quality, especially season three

hoping four turns that around because i can see a future in which we all watching boys season six wishing it had just ended gracefully years earlier

Yeah, I would be completely okay with season 4 being the last season if it ends on a really strong note.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

I said come in! posted:

Abusing compound V, doctor at the end of the season gives him like 6 months left to live. But I can also see him not dying. I hope they don't go the route of curing him at the end after building up what could be an intense season waiting for his death. That would feel cheap.

I guess I just don't see him dying before the end of the show, which is still on plan to be five seasons (I think).

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
It could just mean that seasons 4 and 5 both take place within the next six months.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

In some months, seasons happen.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

all the homelander fans need to go watch banshee btw

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress
With how much has changed I really wonder how close this will hem to the comics original ending. We've already lost a few critical pieces to the puzzle, but that doesn't mean the broad strokes can't happen.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I think it’s heading to the same place more or less tbh

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make
I can easily imagine a whole season of Homelander blacking out, then waking up to see photos of all these horrible things he supposedly did, like the baby eating and such the comics showed...

... And then since he already suffers from brief dissociative experiences, and is so awful to start with, he genuinely can't say those aren't things he wouldn't do... And, apart from Ryan, he already killed everyone keeping him remotely grounded...

Thus a long period of getting gaslit and questioning his own sanity (probably by Edgar's doing).

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

christmas boots posted:

It could just mean that seasons 4 and 5 both take place within the next six months.

I'd wager that 4 and 5 take place in approximately "real time" because we have a visibly aging kid on the cast. Which I guess means that Butcher gets better by the season 4 finale.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
That or the kid eats it next season

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Wheeee posted:

all the homelander fans need to go watch banshee btw

I watched the first episode when it came out and it was poo poo.

Re: the kid - kids grow pretty fast during puberty anyway, and they can always handwave it as Compound V accelerating the process so he gets two years of growth in six months.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Jul 7, 2023

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I want to like banshee but it's just... eh. Starr is good in it but it's pretty watery in consistency.

It's a monster of the week show. A new person rolls into town. If it's a girl Hood fucks em. If it's a guy he fights them.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Owlbear Camus posted:

I want to like banshee but it's just... eh. Starr is good in it but it's pretty watery in consistency.

It's a monster of the week show. A new person rolls into town. If it's a girl Hood fucks em. If it's a guy he fights them.

Yea. It's great.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Owlbear Camus posted:

I hope Hood gets mixed up every now and then.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Jedit posted:

Re: the kid - kids grow pretty fast during puberty anyway, and they can always handwave it as Compound V accelerating the process so he gets two years of growth in six months.

Yeah, one line from someone who hasn't seen him in a month or two covers it. "Whoa, you've gotten big. Guess those powers are really doing something for you." (Or something by someone who actually knows how to write.) And then you're good.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

thrawn527 posted:

Yeah, one line from someone who hasn't seen him in a month or two covers it. "Whoa, you've gotten big. Guess those powers are really doing something for you." (Or something by someone who actually knows how to write.) And then you're good.

How about a superhero who can age people up. You can call him.. the Adulterer!

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Ryan was training in the hyperbolic time chamber, blam done.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Pull a G O T H A M and recast him repeatedly, each time older and sexier than the last.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

oh jay posted:

Pull a G O T H A M and recast him repeatedly, each time older and sexier than the last.

Lol, I got confused and thought you meant Bruce Wayne, then remembered Ivy. Completely forgot about "We need her to be sexy but she's a child, so let's magically age her due to the magic pollution in the river. WHAT DO YOU MEAN THE NEW ACTOR CAN'T ACT WELL? gently caress it, she'll spin a cocoon and get recast AGAIN!"

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress
What in the goddamn gently caress happened in Gotham

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

HebrewMagic posted:

What in the goddamn gently caress happened in Gotham

It was a glorious mess and I loved it. They even did the new-52 Joker variant with the cut-off face well, partially because the actor nailed the character. He was having so much fun. (he was dead for a while so a cult that was worshipping him cut his face off to use as a mask) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMr0DqqS9Fc&t=27s

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

How do you all feel about the show Invincible? I am going to start watching that soon, its on my list because its been described as being similar to the Boys.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I thought it was fun. Don't know if it had any episodes after the first season but it was a strong start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I said come in! posted:

How do you all feel about the show Invincible? I am going to start watching that soon, its on my list because its been described as being similar to the Boys.

The Boys is satire.
Invincible is sincere.

Both are good.