Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

HonorableTB posted:

The response would be an invocation of Article 4 to discuss whether Article 5 should be invoked and if so, what the appropriate response would be. It does not have to automatically mean nuclear war; a proportional response could be something as easy as supplying the affected areas with decontamination and anti-radiological equipment and meds.

Right, which I why I said:

EasilyConfused posted:

I doubt that anything the Russians would do at ZNPP would be considered the same as launching a nuke. There's no "doctrine" about what to do about a radiological attack on a third-party that spills over into a NATO country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
The doctrine literally is the policy I linked. That's what doctrine MEANS.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Ok why not just nuke Putin pre-emptively and avoid this whole discussion???

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

Ok why not just nuke Putin pre-emptively and avoid this whole discussion???

Nukes would go off course from the poop fumes

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Putin is a real piece of poo poo.

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.
I really REALLY hope that plant stays intact.

Almost as much as I hope Putin chokes to death on his next bowl of ;) yogurt ;)

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
doctrine gets overruled by high command. if the plant actually goes down "just do doctrine" will be one possible decision given to biden, scholz, duda, sunak, macron, etc

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Poland and turkey are gonna have some interesting words to say when the stink cloud from a russian dirty bomb float across their territory, regardless.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Article 4 has been invoked 7 times, most recently when Russia launched the full scale invasion. Before that, Turkey invoked it in 2020

e: forgot Poland invoked it in 2014 in response to the Crimea annexation and Donbas War, and "reserved the right to invoke Article 4" when it looked like a Russian missile had hit Polish territory before turning out to be a Ukrainian air defense SAM that malfunctioned

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

General Bullshit > Ukraine War: Upd: uh...

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
This isn't the first time Ukraine and Russia have each accused each other of about to attack the Zaporizhzhia Power Plant, right? I remember it happening last year as well. Not saying it can't happen of course

HonorableTB posted:

You don't have to destroy the reactors to cause a meltdown which does it for you:

The external power was cut off completely seven times according to IAEA director Grossi

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
https://twitter.com/KyivPost/status/1676289666977243144?s=20

Funny how Ukraine, notably not in possession of the power plant or its nuclear waste storage facilities, just happens to have a Tochka-U (of which they had relatively few in comparison to Russia) as well as some handy nuclear waste to throw in there.

:thunk:

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Willo567 posted:

This isn't the first time Ukraine and Russia have each accused each other of about to attack the Zaporizhzhia Power Plant, right? I remember it happening last year as well. Not saying it can't happen of course

The external power was cut off completely seven times according to IAEA director Grossi

Yeah, and this is the first time that has happened without a cooling pond remaining at Khakovka Reservoir

And Ukraine has negative reasons to blow up their own power plant. One of the Russian core propaganda pieces is ALWAYS whataboutism and just simple projection. With Russia every accusation is a confession. Russia accused Ukraine of blowing up Khakovka dam as well, even after the Russians blew up the access road to it and mined the rest of the dam. They straight up don't give a poo poo and never have

Once you excuse yourself from making sense, all nonsense becomes valid and feeds into itself. "Why do they do it? Because that's what they do." it just is. There is nothing logical about Russia.

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jul 5, 2023

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Every time scientist talk about how safe are nuclear power plants I think about things like this.

Scientist know their trade, but they don't know human stupidity.

This central probably won't cause a large incident, but the Russians are reckless and stupid, and is 100% sure they will do something. But is going to be just a small scare and not serius radiactivity is going to be leaked. They will do some damage that will require many of the centrals to stop or work at very low power. Is not going to produce a explosion like chernobyl because .... scientist might be wrong about a lot of things, but I take by their word that nuclear power plants are safe by default. We are not going to see something like chernobyl ever again, It was a first generation power plant, not one of the safe ones we have now.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Tei posted:

Every time scientist talk about how safe are nuclear power plants I think about things like this.

This central probably won't cause a large incident, but the Russians are reckless and stupid, and is 100% sure they will do something. But is going to be just a small scare and not serius radiactivity is going to be leaked. They will do some damage that will require many of the centrals to stop or work at very low power. Is not going to produce a explosion like chernobyl because .... scientist might be wrong about a lot of things, but I take by their word that nuclear power plants are safe by default. We are not going to see something like chernobyl ever again, It was a first generation power plant, not one of the safe ones we have now.

This cannot be another Chernobyl for the fundamental reason that ZNPP is constructed in an entirely different manner to the Chernobyl complex. Melting down in the same way is simply not possible. The best case scenario for Ukraine in any kind of detonation inside the plant is the Russians breaching the internal containment chambers (where the radioactivity happens) which are far less shielded compared to the exterior shielding, which is what a previous poster noted is several feet thick with reinforced concrete. The interior of the plant is not shielded such. Russia can blow the interior and flood it with radiation and make the interior of the plant entirely unusable in a permanent manner without any radiation escaping to the outside, so long as the external shielding isn't breached.

The cool/terrifying thing about nuclear reactors is that they are near 100% safe in ideal conditions, and even less than ideal conditions, so long as proper maintenance and the right technicians are on hand. They are in my opinion the safest forms of power generation outside of wind and solar, and hell windmills regularly kill more people than nuclear plants do from workplace accidents. However they can create numerous types of catastrophes once you get hundreds of pounds of high explosive introduced into the scenario along with an occupying force that is stupid enough to dig trenches in the red loving forest, and the destruction of the reservoir that provided coolant to the reactors.

The saving grace here is that only 1 of the reactor cores would be in any position to cause trouble. The others have all been in cold shutdown for quite some time. Reactor 6 is also in cold shutdown but was done more recently, and nuke fuel rods need a lot of time to cool. The graphite control rods have been in place since June 10 but those fuel rods are still generating a lot of heat.

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jul 5, 2023

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
Here's some good info on why the "attacking ZPP with a missile with nuclear waste" scenario is unlikely
https://twitter.com/russianforces/status/1676343277128130560

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Yeah spent fuel rods are stored in those giant casks for ~50 or so years.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Even willo's saying to calm the gently caress down

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Tei posted:

Are you against hydro power for the same reasons, since ...

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
Clearly there are water wizards that will attack if we harness the rivers.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

:911:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Hey, the Canadians also got Timmies set up too.
:canada:

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

HonorableTB posted:

https://twitter.com/KyivPost/status/1676289666977243144?s=20

Funny how Ukraine, notably not in possession of the power plant or its nuclear waste storage facilities, just happens to have a Tochka-U (of which they had relatively few in comparison to Russia) as well as some handy nuclear waste to throw in there.

:thunk:

this is what dumbshit tankies/contrarians/conspiracy weirdos (including many on these forums) actually believe

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

HonorableTB posted:

Lmao that prigozhin gets to do a coup and not only gets away with it, he gets his money back too. Lmao.

... I'm not sure at all that he gets the cash. He hasn't been seen for a while, and it was collected from the officials by his driver, with a power of attorney.

It's entirely possible that the cash just gets split among the people who just murdered him.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

The_Franz posted:

this is what dumbshit tankies/contrarians/conspiracy weirdos (including many on these forums) actually believe

tankiebrain boils down to this ^^^^

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Tuna-Fish posted:

... I'm not sure at all that he gets the cash. He hasn't been seen for a while, and it was collected from the officials by his driver, with a power of attorney.

It's entirely possible that the cash just gets split among the people who just murdered him.

He released an audio message a day or so ago, though whether it is really him or a good AI fake, I couldn't say. I'm inclined to believe it's him after listening to far too many Prigozhin recordings (also this is why it's equally plausible to be AI lol, ain't the future fun)

No visual eyes on him though, I imagine he's smart enough to know what's going to happen to him as soon as someone visually locates him

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

HonorableTB posted:

tankiebrain boils down to this ^^^^

Lol that has to be a joke

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

HonorableTB posted:

I imagine he's smart enough to know what's going to happen to him as soon as someone visually locates him
They give him even more cash and gold bars?

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

shadow puppet of a posted:

They give him even more cash and gold bars?

Turns out you can take it with you.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Tei posted:

blowing up a coal plant would be a larger ecological disaster than an attack on the ZNPP, and the fact that it would release more radiation than the ZNPP in its current state is only one facet of that damage

people still take it seriously on a global level because there kind of is no allotment for tolerating ecological damage of this kind. you simply cannot allow it at all.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Tai posted:

Lol that has to be a joke

I doubt it since I've more than once seen earnest arguments that "authoritarian" was a meaningless term made up by Western liberals as a slur against leftist governments. From there it's just one hop to the "liberals are fascists or at least fascist allies"" stop I'd seen the same parties claim before.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
https://twitter.com/ChrisO_wiki/status/1676118906736353280?s=20

That's fuckin bleak :(

Ingushetia is the poorest Russian region. Too poor to bribe themselves out of service, too ethnically foreign for Russian nationalists cheering on the war from their couches to care about, and too remote for middle class Russians in St. Petersburg to feel the war closer as to their own homes.

That's our russia!

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jul 5, 2023

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Russia has 'lost nearly half' of its combat effectiveness since invading Ukraine, UK defense official says

https://www.businessinsider.com/ukraine-war-russia-lost-half-combat-effectiveness-tanks-counter-offensive-2023-7?utm_source=reddit.com

quote:

A top British defense official said Tuesday that Russia's combat abilities have been slashed in half since last year's full-scale invasion of Ukraine.

In comments before a parliamentary hearing, Admiral Sir Tony Radakin — the formal head of the United Kingdom's armed forces and chief military adviser to Prime Minister Rishi Sunak — claimed that Russia is now "so weak" it could no longer wage a military counter-offensive of its own.

"Russia has lost nearly half the combat effectiveness of its army," Radakin said, according to the Financial Times. "Last year it fired 10 million artillery shells but at best can produce 1 million shells a year. It has lost 2,500 tanks and at best can produce 200 [new] tanks a year."

Meanwhile, he defended Ukraine's counter-offensive, which has been criticized for not making enough progress.

Radakin said Kyiv's strategy to "starve, stretch and strike" is gradually eroding Russia's defenses, though he acknowledged that Russian mines as well as Ukraine's insufficient air defenses and lack of certain equipment it requested have weighed on operations.

"The question is, how do you take a front line that is more than a thousand kilometers long and turn it into more of a problem for Russia than for Ukraine?" he said. "That is why you are seeing multiple axes being probed and feints by Ukraine."

Radakin's claims about Russia's combat losses in Ukraine are roughly in line with previous reporting.

In February, Oryx, an open-source intelligence group, said that at least 1,000 Russian tanks had been destroyed in Ukraine — and another 500 captured. A classified US military assessment, leaked earlier this year, suggested that as many as 43,000 Russian soldiers had been killed and another 180,000 wounded since February 2022.

When Russia invaded last year, it was assessed to have over 400,000 contract soldiers, PBS reported.

Experts have said the losses have taken a huge toll, in particular, on Russia's elite infantry and armored fighting brigades.

"They've been decimated," Jeffrey Edmonds, a Russia expert at the Center for Naval Analyses and former CIA military analyst, told Insider's Jake Epstein earlier this year, describing it as a "blow to Russian's ground force's combat power."

Lost half of its combat power while Ukraine grows in strength. Russia's hosed itself something proper

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Pine Cone Jones posted:

Clearly there are water wizards that will attack if we harness the rivers.

Are the water nymphs on the wizard side? Because I'm trying to score.

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

Willo567 posted:

That's correct, warnings and accusations have flown several times. Also, while the Kakhovka reservoir is gone now, Zaporizhzhia NPP does have its own cooling pond that was full (or a reasonable level, at least) at the time of the dam blowing up. The IAEA isn't just sticking their heads in the sand - absent sabotage no release of radiation is expected, and as others have noted the design of the reactors should preclude a Chernobyl-level disaster.

Which isn't to say intentional sabotage still produces a completely benign result, but I would expect a much less destructive one than blowing the Khakhovka dam was.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Maybe nobody has any specific plans to blow anything up but they're so used to horrifying mismanagement that they assume an NPP with the russian army in charge of it is going to blow up at some point.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Wycheslaw The Ammo Hauling Engine That Endlessly Drags Loads Of 1938 Shells Across Siberia To The Front for Mister Plopam Shat.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Killer robot posted:

I doubt it since I've more than once seen earnest arguments that "authoritarian" was a meaningless term made up by Western liberals as a slur against leftist governments. From there it's just one hop to the "liberals are fascists or at least fascist allies"" stop I'd seen the same parties claim before.
Next stop: "we must temporarily? ally with the fascists against the liberals before the liberals ally with the fascists to destroy us!!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Bad news for draft dodgers in Ukraine - Three employees at the district centers of recruitment and social support of the Kramatorsk district will be tried for forging documents for conscripted citizens to allow them to leave Ukraine by claiming they are unfit for military service

https://kyivindependent.com/the-head-of-regional-recrutiment-kramatorsk-district-falsified-documents-for-the-departure-of-men-the-dbr/

Head of regional recruitment center in Kramatorsk district charged with forging documents

by Haley Zehrung
July 5, 2023 12:42 AM

Three employees at the district centers of recruitment and social support of the Kramatorsk district will be tried for forging documents for conscripted citizens to allow them to leave Ukraine by claiming they are unfit for military service, Ukraine's State Bureau of Investigation (SBI) said on July 4.

According to an investigation launched by the SBI, the head of the center and two employees issued fake temporary IDs to conscripts and certificates from the military medical commission, which stated that the person was unfit for military service.

The head of one of the regional territorial recruitment centers sought out conscripted citizens who wished to leave Ukraine, charging a price of $2,000-$3,000 for the forged documents.

Five individuals were caught using fake documents supplied by this recruitment center in Chernivtsi and Zakarpattia oblasts.

"The head of one of the regional territorial recruitment centers is charged with the formation of an organized group and the organization of illegal transportation of persons across the state border, and with the organization of official forgery," the SBI wrote in its investigation.

The other two employees are charged with aiding in the illegal transportation of persons across the border.

The three individuals responsible for the scheme could face up to nine years in prison.