Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

mobby_6kl posted:

He's also very cheap so probably doesn't want to pay the arbitrator anything and hopes that the problem will just go away like it always does

I recall that Twitter tried to make it a class action rather than individual arbitration but got denied because they moved to block the class action before that, maybe this is a ridiculous scheme to try to get a class action again? idk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I hope former employees start coming into Twitter HQ with sheriff's and start repossessing computers and poo poo

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Catastrophe posted:

all e-lawn had to do with Twitter to not be in this hilariously stupid position was "nothing"

all he had to do was nothing that he has done

reminds me of BSG when everyone was hyped to find out what the plan was :psylon:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
they didn't have one, they were just creepy sex pests

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Catastrophe posted:

all e-lawn had to do with Twitter to not be in this hilariously stupid position was "nothing"

Problem is, he couldn't "do nothing" because he added a ton of extra debt to a company that already didn't make money.

That said, every decision he has made has been hilariously wrong.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah Musk had to do stuff, but he really shouldn’t have gotten involved himself

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

mobby_6kl posted:

He's also very cheap so probably doesn't want to pay the arbitrator anything and hopes that the problem will just go away like it always does

Remember that episode of Aqua Teen Hunger Force where instead of paying the bills Master Shake flushes them down the toilet? For some reason I've been thinking about that recently.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah Musk had to do stuff, but he really shouldn’t have gotten involved himself

Everything else he’s been involved with has had a bunch of somewhat competent people between him and the actual cogs and gears. He could spout dumb ideas but there were enough people between the idea and it’s actual implementation for anything that might break the business to mostly get dropped or changed into something less damaging.

Twitter is probably the first (or at least the most high profile) example of where he’s been in direct control of the day to day operations of a business and it turns out he sucks at it.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

I guess to inject my own experiences to this. I scrape certain items on Amazon for pricing and other info that I can only gain by going through the entire shopping to checkout flow. I probably at most look at 30 items every 12 hours. In the last few months they’ve done a bunch of anti scraping mitigation to the point where I’m starting to look at a module library that just looks at heap memory of the browser session.

But man. Elon just blocking complete access to his site so both his users and the bot scrapers are punished? What a brilliant move. The scrapers could not have seen this bold move coming. Elon is truly one of a kind.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Also people were way more lenient with deadlines being missed and obvious mistakes being made if they believed in the mission, believed nobody else could do it better, or were first time EV buyers with no point of comparison to a properly designed car.

That doesn't work when you overpay for an arguably functional and thriving web site and then piss off basically every single person who uses it and alternatives are theoretically right around the corner.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

he's dumb

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

This is so weird as Musk at the very least has run a business before.

How is he so bad at this

There have been articles from folks at Tesla and Space X that they effectively designate someone to jingle keys in front of Elmo so he doesn’t gently caress everything up. There’s no such person at Twitter.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

E the Shaggy posted:

There have been articles from folks at Tesla and Space X that they effectively designate someone to jingle keys in front of Elmo so he doesn’t gently caress everything up. There’s no such person at Twitter.

His distractions:
- Tesla: Cybertruck
- SpaceX: Starship

while the majority of the actual money making side of things are relatively unscathed.

Although that whole "no RHD Model S in the UK" reeks of Muskian penny pinching and assuming his idiotic fanbase/customers will lap it up

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

E the Shaggy posted:

https://www.tumblr.com/numberonecatwinner/701567544684855296/elon-wyd posted:

I was an intern at SpaceX years ago, back it when it was a much smaller company — after Elon got hair plugs, but before his cult of personality was in full swing. I have some insight to offer here.

Back when I was at SpaceX, Elon was basically a child king. He was an important figurehead who provided the company with the money, power, and PR, but he didn’t have the knowledge or (frankly) maturity to handle day-to-day decision making and everyone knew that. He was surrounded by people whose job was, essentially, to manipulate him into making good decisions.

Managing Elon was a huge part of the company culture. Even I, as a lowly intern, would hear people talking about it openly in meetings. People knew how to present ideas in a way that would resonate with him, they knew how to creatively reinterpret (or ignore) his many insane demands, and they even knew how to “stage manage” parts of the physical office space so that it would appeal to Elon.

The funniest example of “stage management” I can remember is this dude on the IT security team. He had a script running in a terminal on one of his monitors that would output random garbage, Matrix-style, so that it always looked like he was doing Important Computer Things to anyone who walked by his desk. Second funniest was all the people I saw playing WoW at their desks after ~5pm, who did it in the office just to give the appearance that they were working late.

People were willing to do that at SpaceX because Elon was giving them the money (and hype) to get into outer space, a mission people cared deeply about. The company also grew with and around Elon. There were layers of management between individual employees and Elon, and those managers were experienced managers of Elon. Again, I cannot stress enough how much of the company culture was oriented around managing this one guy.

Twitter has neither of those things going for it. There is no company culture or internal structure around the problem of managing Elon Musk, and I think for the first time we’re seeing what happens when people actually take that man seriously and at face value. Worse, they’re doing this little experiment after this man has had decades of success at companies that dedicate significant resources to protecting themselves from him, and he’s too narcissistic to realize it.

This post is long so I’ll leave you with my favorite Elon story. One day at work, I got an all hands email telling me that it was Elon’s birthday and there was going to be a mandatory surprise party for him in the cafeteria. Presumably Elon also got this email, but whatever. We all marched down into the cafeteria, dimmed the lights, and waited. Elon was led out by his secretary (who he hadn’t fired yet) and made a big show of being fake surprised and touched that we were there. Then they wheeled out the cake.

OK, so, I want you to imagine the biggest penis cake you’ve ever seen. Like the king of novelty sex cakes. Only it’s frosted white, and the balls have been frosted to look like fire and smoke. This was Elon’s birthday “rocket” cake.

For as long as I live, I will never forget the look on everyone’s face — in that dark room of mostly-male engineers — when he made a wish and cut into the tip.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

I'll go back to du jour being a saltbag RE: the current conditions of poo poo after this post, but: Elon, if you're reading this, I still can't believe you just faceroll the amount of nerd-beating that you endure.

It's hilariously from a huge pyramid of other nerds, too. Get better soon, get the gently caress out of the goddamn talking-head poo poo people have racked you into, and go back to just being a whimsical Shadowrun/VTM player. It was fun watching you, several years ago, use the money to just be like, "no, gently caress you, space."

Waffle House fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jul 5, 2023

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Waffle House posted:

I'll go back to du jour being a saltbag RE: the current conditions of poo poo after this post, but: Elon, if you're reading this, I still can't believe you just faceroll the amount of nerd-beating that you endure.

It's hilariously from a huge pyramid of other nerds, too. Get better soon, get the gently caress out of the goddamn talking-head poo poo people have racked you into, and go back to just being a whimsical Shadowrun player. It was fun watching you, several years ago, use the money to just be like, "no, gently caress you, space."

No Elon don't listen to this guy. You're doing great. Also killing yourself is not taking the coward's way out - it's actually incredibly brave and badass.

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

Waffle House posted:

It's hilariously from a huge pyramid of other nerds, too. Get better soon, get the gently caress out of the goddamn talking-head poo poo people have racked you into, and go back to just being a whimsical Shadowrun/VTM player. It was fun watching you, several years ago, use the money to just be like, "no, gently caress you, space."

What?

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer

Waffle House posted:

"no, gently caress you, space."

please Musk, go to the phantom zone

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

It was really bizarre watching the Elon transition from, "weird unknown tf2 nerd" to "bourgeoisie," and he was not kind to it. Because he is clearly a goon, I have some confidence that he has no need of bourgeoising, and somewhere, deep down, is that confident simple-enough to just post about Diablo IV and abandon the auspices and seduction of wealth.

I am wrong, of course, because money does terrible things to people, but I just want to lodge the complaint here, in protest of all space and time, that being a loving nerd even can outweight the stupidity that comes with vast quantities of money.

God help us all. This track ends here with this post, for there but for the grace of god with our moneying aspirations go we.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Waffle House

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

ben shapino posted:

Waffle House

ben shapeeno

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

silly sevens

Waffle House posted:

It was really bizarre watching the Elon transition from, "weird unknown tf2 nerd" to "bourgeoisie," and he was not kind to it. Because he is clearly a goon, I have some confidence that he has no need of bourgeoising, and somewhere, deep down, is that confident simple-enough to just post about Diablo IV and abandon the auspices and seduction of wealth.

I am wrong, of course, because money does terrible things to people, but I just want to lodge the complaint here, in protest of all space and time, that being a loving nerd even can outweight the stupidity that comes with vast quantities of money.

God help us all. This track ends here with this post, for there but for the grace of god with our moneying aspirations go we.

What?

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

It's too late. He's in the phantom zone. We can do nothing for the obvious goon.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Underwhelmed posted:

Twitter could survive if Mosk shut the gently caress up and let people who have a clue take a crack at the controls instead of just letting him randomly push buttons and turn knobs.

They have enough of a user base that inertia alone could get them through this if those users were even a little convinced that there is an adult in the room turning this poo poo around, but alas, "shut the gently caress up" is not a feature found on this model of Musk.

Survival isn't his goal, he wants his 44 bil back. Probably also wants to prove he's the smartest man in the room when his changes make it more profitable than ever . . . unfortunately he is not the smartest man in the room.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
the greatest evidence he was never a goon is he never posts about it.

the only SA in his mind is the apartheid one.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

I said come in! posted:

Always make conservatives feel unwelcome and isolated.

:hmmyes:

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Marissa Mayer took Yahoo from a valuation of $40b+ down to $4.5b, and depending on how you measure it that was only because of shares of Alibaba with the core business being worth negative billions of dollars by the time she left.

She got a $180m+ severance package, sits on multiple boards of directors, and recently raised millions of dollars for a new startup.
Note that Marissa Mayer did exactly what the insane board wanted her to do, which was bet the whole company on some sort of radical revamp like Yahoo could somehow be the next big thing.

You see this a lot in dying companies or industries, where the sensible business decision is to slowly wind down, sell off production, keep whatever remains of the reduced market and return the money to shareholders so they can go invest in something else.

:iiaca: Yahoo was once a great prestigious producer of buggy whips, but car companies killed that market and Yahoo's board insisted they try to either make buggy whips cool again or somehow make cars with no experience. Because the board and leadership is full of glory seekers rather than people actually trying to preserve shareholder money.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Catastrophe posted:

No you don't understand the town square must be rebalanced from the woke mob mind virus. It all had to be done you see

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

ShadowHawk posted:

Note that Marissa Mayer did exactly what the insane board wanted her to do, which was bet the whole company on some sort of radical revamp like Yahoo could somehow be the next big thing.

You see this a lot in dying companies or industries, where the sensible business decision is to slowly wind down, sell off production, keep whatever remains of the reduced market and return the money to shareholders so they can go invest in something else.

:iiaca: Yahoo was once a great prestigious producer of buggy whips, but car companies killed that market and Yahoo's board insisted they try to either make buggy whips cool again or somehow make cars with no experience. Because the board and leadership is full of glory seekers rather than people actually trying to preserve shareholder money.

I'm sure there were Yahoo diehards who would have kept using it for decades if they could. Not growing much, but it probably could have kept chugging along making profit and employing people for the foreseeable future. Nope, disaster capitalism says everything has to grow or die.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Waffle House posted:

It's too late. He's in the phantom zone. We can do nothing for the obvious goon.

What?

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

I'm too cool to be extinct.

ShadowHawk posted:

At least we got another season of Community out of it.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Looks like quote tweets are appearing now, as opposed to them not doing that before, so that's one thing I guess

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

The Awesomesaurus posted:

great season, too. keith david needs to be a mainstay in more shows

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

The Awesomesaurus posted:

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Smartest man, much wow.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
I haven't been keeping up, is the Lizard King going to beat Elon to death or not

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

silly sevens

The Last Call posted:

Smartest man, much wow.

Lol boy he really doesn’t want people to actually be able to use his site doesn’t he. Starting to think he just wants a clubhouse for himself and no gurlz aloud

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Steadiman posted:

Lol boy he really doesn’t want people to actually be able to use his site doesn’t he. Starting to think he just wants a clubhouse for himself and no gurlz aloud

It's even dumber. He's trying to extort AI devs to buy his API package

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Steadiman posted:

Elonz clubHowZ
wHat is a GuRL?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
I hope DuckduckGo and Startpage and all the other SEs follow googles move and make birdsite a darknet.

lol at musk gonna reinvent the SE but worse.