Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011
Just seeing their reaction when it's taken away is enough to want me to not show them YouTube. We watched some weird fight video when our oldest was getting his blood drawn last week, but otherwise we're very strict about it. We've moved away from TV in the mornings and it's been much more pleasant the past few weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Panfilo posted:

We went to a wedding and wisely had my mom watch our kids overnight and I was silently judging the parents at the table next to ours. They had a 2 and 3 year old and both of them would scream nonstop if the nearest relative didn't hold a phone up next to their face during the entire reception. And these kids could scream pretty goddamn loud; there was a ten piece band blasting away with horns and snare drums on stage and you could still hear these kids drowning out the music. Like I get not everyone has the the privilege of having a babysitter on hand (in this case their normal babysitter relative was likely at the same event as well) and maybe they never let their kids look at screens and this was the one exception. But still.

I'll admit to being kind of a hypocrite in that I'll let my kids watch videos as well to keep them preoccupied at times, but I'm at least self aware enough to try to encourage stuff like storybots or bluey instead of overly consumerist content. And I also try to limit it to weekends/special occasions, because as their post-school workloads gradually increase it's just going to be an uphill battle keeping them on task.

And I'm probably showing my age and this is a cyclical problem but it feels like 'kids these days" have a harder time managing boredom. My parents weren't luddites by any stretch but I remember that I read tons of books as a kid when I had nothing else to do and engaged in a lot of imagination play. It's cool and all that there's more fun things to entertain us and all, but sometimes your batteries are dead or it's simply not appropriate to be preoccupied on a tablet. I worry about the kids overly reliant on that endorphin kick of The YouTubes or DigiBloks or whatever :psyduck: fads young people are getting into these days. But I'm sure every parent thought this with new technology.

I mean a wedding does seem like the time to break the glass and do what it takes to pacify them temporarily.

But I largely share these anxieties even if our little one is still too small to demand the screens.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Sunny Side Up posted:

Does anyone use outschool and have any favorites on there? Have looked through many virtual and hybrid options and it seems like the best we’ll do for a 3 year old.
We used outschool extensively for a period with our then 2/3 year old. IMO the outschool options for 3 year olds are relatively limited. Probably the most worthwhile thing was a daily "circle time" session where the kids would sing together, take turns responding to questions, draw together and show off their work etc. There are many many circle time options for three year olds.

We tried a few other things like PreK math, arts+crafts outschool sessions and they were ok. The instruction you're providing is likely better than any outschool teacher can do esp at this age range.

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

we know someone who uses it, but there's not much to say about it in general because it's gig economy style in the sense that the teachers aren't being centrally planned or anything, so your experiences will vary depending on the specific teacher
Yes the teachers can be very hit or miss. Also didn't like the gig economy aspect, I got the sense some of the teachers did extremely well and others surely didn't make much money.

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Mayoist Third Condimentist

Nocturtle posted:

We used outschool extensively for a period with our then 2/3 year old. IMO the outschool options for 3 year olds are relatively limited. Probably the most worthwhile thing was a daily "circle time" session where the kids would sing together, take turns responding to questions, draw together and show off their work etc. There are many many circle time options for three year olds.

We tried a few other things like PreK math, arts+crafts outschool sessions and they were ok. The instruction you're providing is likely better than any outschool teacher can do esp at this age range.

Yes the teachers can be very hit or miss. Also didn't like the gig economy aspect, I got the sense some of the teachers did extremely well and others surely didn't make much money.

Thank you. The virtual school we're doing does have a good circle time already, so I'll plan to stick to that. I think there's just this frustration like "I have no idea what I'm doing, is he advancing, is he at the right skill level, etc." You don't know what you don't know. Maybe after a little time we could fall back on one of the curriculums we found (it's tough to find anything secular, and forget about remotely leftish).

Having not even signed up, yet, my assumption on the gig economy thing is that it might work like the Dumpling app---we got a personal shopper for two months instead of someone random like on Instacart, and once we had a relationship we just started paying them directly and equitably instead of just goosing up the tips.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

It took almost a year but I have finally seen poop come from the butt. Majestic.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I remember one time my son was all backed up and he had this like... dried poop cork in his butthole.

I didn't really know what to do but he was not happy with the situation so I kinda tapped it and it dislodged the entire poop train.

it was really something seeing it extrude in real time.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

it was really something seeing it extrude in real time.

Thread title

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Chad Sexington posted:

It took almost a year but I have finally seen poop come from the butt. Majestic.

Was poop not coming from the butt, prior to this event?

Was it... was it coming from somewhere else?

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Oops crossposted poop chat. Well anyways:

Infant girl did a two poo while I was changing her pee diaper. Caught it all, contained in diaper and wetwipe. As I tie up the dog bag I hear the squelch of a 3 poo.

I wiped up the cover of the cover well enough to not see a poo stain. As long as daughter doesn't tell mom, I'm not gonna tell mom. Toddler brother just pooped while waiting his turn for his pee diaper.

This shouldn't be happening, it is nap time, they should both be asleep.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Microplastics posted:

Was poop not coming from the butt, prior to this event?

Was it... was it coming from somewhere else?

I can't confirm or deny. Until today the poop was always just there in the diaper. Schrodingers poop. Only today did I see the whole process in detail.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

KirbyKhan posted:

Oops crossposted poop chat. Well anyways:

Infant girl did a two poo while I was changing her pee diaper. Caught it all, contained in diaper and wetwipe. As I tie up the dog bag I hear the squelch of a 3 poo.

I wiped up the cover of the cover well enough to not see a poo stain. As long as daughter doesn't tell mom, I'm not gonna tell mom. Toddler brother just pooped while waiting his turn for his pee diaper.

This shouldn't be happening, it is nap time, they should both be asleep.

We bought some of those diaper-like covers for furniture for incontinent old people. They work well at keeping pee and poop off surfaces, and you just throw it with the diapers, and just put a new one over the changing diapers surface with no drama.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
i wish i hadnt been circumsized so i could understand whats going on with my sons weird rear end dick

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

i wish i hadnt been circumsized so i could understand whats going on with my sons weird rear end dick

drat... it really do be like that

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

what?

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

not gonna lie that's one worry I had about having a son (but then i never had a son)

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

not gonna lie that's one worry I had about having a son (but then i never had a son)
:same:

and going on eight straight years of cleaning diapers, nearing the end, it's so close, gently caress.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

it's one of those things where, since your adult body is physically different than theirs, it's difficult to teach or show them stuff like how to keep their penis clean or how to pull the foreskin back to even start cleaning it.

the entire time you're like "this is not something I have any experience with and I have no clue if this is right"

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
My dad wasn't circumcised and managed to teach me just fine. "Pull your foreskin back when you're taking a bath or shower and it's very important you do it every time" was about all the instruction I got and my idiot five year old brain could handle it.

edit: also as someone who isn't circumcised as long as the kid's not in pain you're fine, trust me it's a uh, pretty intuitive experience. If they're not hurting themselves they're doing it right.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

yeah every kid is different. anecdotes are just that.

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011
Only use lukewarm water and fingers to clean the glans and foreskin. Don't force the foreskin back, it can cause a tear and scarring leading to phimosis. See a doctor if unable to pull the foreskin back after the age of 4 or so.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
This specific anxiety was exactly why I paid the doctor $300 non-medicade dollars. It's how they get ya, I was circumcized for free, it just kinda happened with my mom's soft consent not really understanding what the doc meant. Now, the obgyn comes up to you with a card swiper dongle attached to an iphone before they chop your baby's dick off. Shameful country and practice.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
kind of a hosed up title change imo

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Sherbert Hoover posted:

kind of a hosed up title change imo

Also out of nowhere. And also some of us are in shithole countries where we don't even have school shootings

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

What in the gently caress

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

it is beyond my comprehension that there are people who advocate for living in a world in which children can buy schoolbags with ballistic plates inside and have to practice how to hide from someone who intends to shoot them.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

wtf, I didn't realize I had the mass shootings thread bookma- oh. Hilarious. Can we change it back now

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
edit: god drat i dont know what thread is anymore. what the gently caress

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

it's one of those things where, since your adult body is physically different than theirs, it's difficult to teach or show them stuff like how to keep their penis clean or how to pull the foreskin back to even start cleaning it.

the entire time you're like "this is not something I have any experience with and I have no clue if this is right"

We had to go to the ER for kid 1 bc his foreskin got stuck rolled up for too long and I didn't know that was a thing. It was such an ordeal I got in touch with an old friend who is a crunchy mom who is very loud about the "circumcision is genital mutilation" thing to ask some questions since she has 2 boys.

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011
what the gently caress is this thread title

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

Can we just make the Glenn thread the mass shooting thread?

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Phone posting rules because the thread titles don't update in real time, sometimes it takes like a day. Seems like it is back to normal now.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Struensee posted:

what the gently caress is this thread title

lol people need to chill out jfc

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Apparently this is the landlord thread now

*thinking really hard*

Parents are just landlords for smaller people

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Microplastics posted:

drat you're right

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Microplastics posted:

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I am glad the internet will be dead by the time my daughter will be old enough to log on.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Chad Sexington posted:

I am glad the internet will be dead by the time my daughter will be old enough to log on.

Inshallah

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
The whole "kids have to wear bulletproof backpacks to school" is a scary thought, but realistically how many parents are equipping their kids with these? Who exactly is the main demographic for such items? Nervous liberal grandparents who watch CNN all day?