Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Can anybody tell me what item I'm missing here? Can't figure it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

that duck
Mar 23, 2013

Since everyone is doing it, I'm going to write my own Brotato guide. I played it a lot in early access, I've beaten D5 on all characters, and I'm at the point where I can choose random character -> random weapon on D5 and win about 80% of the time.

First off, I think the easiest starting weapons to win with are slingshot, SMG, and spear, in that order.

For every normal character (the ones that don't have extreme gimmicks), the first thing you want to build is damage. Killing enemies makes you survive longer AND it gets you more resources.

The most efficient way to get damage at the start is always buying weapons. Ideally, you want six of the same weapon (at least early on) because that will make combining them easier. In the first two shops, there will always be two weapons available, so I recommend spending all of your money on rerolling and buying copies of your weapon until you have 3 or 4. If you see an item you want, you can lock it and keep rerolling. The shop will still give you two weapons.

After you get 6 weapons, the most efficient way to gain damage is with flat damage stats i.e. ranged damage or melee damage. For nearly every weapon in the game, including slow weapons, spending money or levels on flat damage will give you a better return than % damage (up to around 20 - 40 flat damage). The second most efficient damage stat is attack speed. Take more attack speed if you have a slow weapon. It's always worth rerolling your level ups one or two times to find flat damage or attack speed early on. (Unless you see harvesting as a level up in wave one or two, in which case you should take harvesting.) You can take economy items like bag, coupon, fertilizer, etc. if you happen to see them early, but I wouldn't reroll to look for them.

When you deal enough damage to comfortably kill dangerous enemies like the large chargers, then you can start building defenses. This should happen around wave 7 or 8 (maybe sooner for melee runs). I prioritize armor, then max health, then recovery stats. Build enough defense to survive 3 or 4 hits in a row before you start thinking about how to get the health back.

Armor is straight up better than dodge, both statistically and in terms of reliability. Melee characters need a lot more health recovery than ranged. Recovery items like monkey or tentacle will usually give you more health than spending the same amount on hp regen or life steal. The best defense is not getting hit, so don't tank your speed too much.

Later in the run, I prefer to build damage and defenses equally, but it's totally viable to shift gears and focus heavily on defense. As long as you can keep gaining materials and stop yourself from being swarmed, you'll be fine.

Every wave has certain types of enemies that appear. The large charging enemies first appear on wave 8. Wave 9 has large swarms of weak, fast enemies. The accelerating hood guys appear on wave 11, and the guys that split into shooters appear on wave 14. Make sure you can pass the damage check of the most dangerous enemies.

Obviously, all of this advice depends heavily on the character. I can write a guide on the more esoteric characters if anyone wants.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
You recommend getting harvesting early but my entire Brotaro experience has painted harvesting as a dump stat. It has no synergy with anything except making money but the opportunity cost for getting it is usually equal to or greater than the money/stats short of specific gimmick characters like Farmer or Entrepreneur. What am I not getting, or is it hard to notice without hitting a sweet spot early?

By contrast I'd say taking 10-20 luck in the first few waves compounds nicely in better offers for level ups, shops and extra random crate drops/free health.

I also tried a sling shot build on wildling d5 but slammed into the damage wall that made me use a sticks build to get the win. I can see it's just a better shuriken for bouncing procs, I assume the slingshot 3/4 give crazy returns on spreading fire and life steal hits.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

So I'm now on D3. The Bull is, uhhh, really strong. Never came close to dying. Just bought every Max HP, HP Regen, and turret I could find plus turning trees into turrets. Not sure if that's actually efficient, but it's working for me.

Is there a benefit to running multiple characters through the lower Danger levels?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Pope Guilty posted:

Can anybody tell me what item I'm missing here? Can't figure it out.

Somehow, the regular rear end waxen peasant lol

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
Been playing some battlegrid and I agree with the sentiment that it pauses the action too often. Early game you get levels really fast, late game there are a bunch of bosses, hopefully they can even it out a bit, levels could be fewer but more impactful maybe. Also pure gun bullet spam seems far better than the 'synchtech' magic builds. This run I absolutely melted even late game bosses. Once of them died before I even saw which one it was. Compared to my previous synchtech run where I was constantly losing people and having to revive them

Have been enjoying it though, I like the future alien setting and the little squad you build up instead of just one unit

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Azran posted:

Somehow, the regular rear end waxen peasant lol

I have no idea how that happened but a quick waxraise did it. Thanks!

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Harvesting discussion inspired me to go and try out Farmer on a casual Danger 0 unlock run...

I think I ended up with the Lord of the Harvest or something. Holy moly did this instantly delete the final boss.

Devorum posted:

So I'm now on D3. The Bull is, uhhh, really strong. Never came close to dying. Just bought every Max HP, HP Regen, and turret I could find plus turning trees into turrets. Not sure if that's actually efficient, but it's working for me.

Is there a benefit to running multiple characters through the lower Danger levels?

Just to get the initial unlock you get for winning with them. But if you could bring them through Danger 5 first time with no problems, then no.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jul 4, 2023

that duck
Mar 23, 2013

Doomykins posted:

You recommend getting harvesting early but my entire Brotaro experience has painted harvesting as a dump stat. It has no synergy with anything except making money but the opportunity cost for getting it is usually equal to or greater than the money/stats short of specific gimmick characters like Farmer or Entrepreneur. What am I not getting, or is it hard to notice without hitting a sweet spot early?

By contrast I'd say taking 10-20 luck in the first few waves compounds nicely in better offers for level ups, shops and extra random crate drops/free health.

The sweet spot to get harvesting is in the first few waves. It's worth taking as a level up in wave 1 or 2, and it's worth buying harvesting items that won't hurt your build in shops 3-6. Exactly how worthwhile depends on the item and the wave number. Part of the reason to buy harvesting is that it gives experience in addition to money, and the more levels you have, the better quality the choices will be. Mutant likes harvesting. Scar is a good item to find early, and it makes harvesting better.

Luck is good, especially early on, but it doesn't have as much effect on the shop as wave number does. The way it works is that the shop by default produces tier 1 items, and there's a chance it will instead produce a higher tier item. That % chance depends on both luck and wave number...but it reaches a maximum, even with 0 luck. The chance of finding a tier 2 item maxes out at wave 11 and tier 3 maxes out at wave 16. Basically, luck has diminishing returns. Loot crates are cool, but a lot of the time they just have tier 1 items that I don't need.

All that said, luck is also a health recovery stat, which makes it extra good for melee characters.

I have a lot of thoughts about the economy items and when to buy them, but my post was so long that I decided to leave it out and stick to the main points. There are a lot of calculations that go into when you should buy them depending on the wave number, and your current build. The main point I wanted to make up there is that you should buy weapons and damage before deciding how you're going to survive and scale into the late game, especially since killing more things means more materials.

Doomykins posted:

I also tried a sling shot build on wildling d5 but slammed into the damage wall that made me use a sticks build to get the win. I can see it's just a better shuriken for bouncing procs, I assume the slingshot 3/4 give crazy returns on spreading fire and life steal hits.

Yeah, slingshot gets much better as it upgrades. It make Soldier and Streamer into easy mode characters. If you're using slingshots you don't really need life steal, you just build enough damage to kill everything in one or two hits and then your shots will bounce around and kill everything before it can touch you.
I have won with slingshots on Wildling, but it was way harder than sticks or spears. The innate life steal + lack of upgrades make Wildling way more suited to melee.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

I need Farmer, Mutant, Pacifist, Soldier and Streamer D5s so this is great theory chat. Thanks for the advice!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

What is the strategy to make Arms Dealer not boring as poo poo?

that duck
Mar 23, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

What is the strategy to make Arms Dealer not boring as poo poo?

There are a few bits of Brotato knowledge that help the Arms Dealer. For example, the weapons that you see in the shop are more likely to be ones that share a tag with weapons you already have - if you have 6 guns, you're more likely to see guns in the shop. On top of that, you're more likely to see copies of a weapon you have. What this means is that after you buy your first weapon as Arms Dealer, every time you reroll you're likely to see similar weapons.

Here's what you can do with this: buy 5 or 6 weapons, then reroll until you see a weapon of the type that you want to use. Lock it and start the wave. Now you'll be more likely to have the same type of weapon in the next wave. Because you've made the shop more reliable, you can focus on just one damage type when you take flat damage. Note that this isn't 100% guranteed, so you're going to need a little bit of the other damage types.

Arms Dealer benefits from luck more than most characters because of his gimmick. He also benefits from items that deal damage, because they don't get destroyed between waves. Since you're already taking luck, you can take cyberball and baby elephant, which are normally pretty bad. Even alien eyes can be useful. Use your bonus to % damage modifiers to keep supplemental damage items above the threshold where they can one-shot basic enemies. Only start building like this when you have a comfortable amount of flat damage though, because your weapons will always be your primary damage.

Finally, harvesting is really important. It's not just there to make up for the fact that you spend more on weapons; it's also a hedge against bad rounds where your weapons are crap and you can't kill anything. It makes +XP gain items really good, too.

This will not necessarily make Arms Dealer more fun, but after you win you won't have to play him again.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Got a Fisherman D5 win with full slingshots and some harvest stacking, I've gotten the rhythm down of 2 baits, then 1 per round until 20. +160% damage suited the slingshots really well. Thanks Paltato!

that duck
Mar 23, 2013

Nice! Believe it or not, the slingshot used to be even stronger.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

cyborg is a huge pain in the rear end.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
When I’m playing as the vampire survivor in bone raiser, am I supposed to be getting hit to get the buffs? Or is it a touhou style graze system?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

When I’m playing as the vampire survivor in bone raiser, am I supposed to be getting hit to get the buffs? Or is it a touhou style graze system?

Yeah you want to walk into low damage meanies

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the relic that gives you 2 seconds of invulnerability after a level up is really helpful, as the health on hit effect still applies.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Here's my pro Brotato guide: Loud is strong. The strongest unit in the game. Kill poo poo spawn more poo poo kill more poo poo gain more levels buy more poo poo.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

claw cryptid is great. just fuckin shredded the bosses

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Oh no but you unlocked Jack. Anyone have a good strat for him? He seems obvious, build huge damage and obliterate everything including bosses, but his positives aren't as good as his negatives and I usually end up with meat walls of goons blocking my attacks on the boss. I guess I will reject reason and use a melee build to control what I'm hitting.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
An oddball with a Prologue and the proper EA starting in some weeks: X-Invader

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2214500/X_Invader_Prologue/

quote:

Free version of X Invader, an Action Rogue-lite game.
Combining various hacking add-ons to get rid of the boss who is interfering with hacking!

■ The Battle of individual properties through a combination of the various play styles.

► Create a new build for every sale with random choices and rewards.

■ Rogue-lite That Really Comfortable Game.

► A short 15-minute play time that allows users to play repeatedly..

■ Great Pixel Arts.

■ Fast Adaptable Game Control.

► Users can play games only with WASD, mouse, and spacebar.

■ Features supported by the prologue version.
► Two weapons.
► Four Add-ons.
► Five Avatars.
► One map.
► Session time within 10 minutes

■ Full version to be supported
► 1 more weapon
► Addition of 2 Add-ons
► 3 more bosses
► 10 more minutes of play time
► Add more than 100 hacking add-on nodes
► 8 types of monsters added
► Add on relics
► Ultimate and synergy Add-on
► And... Additional content with updates after release of the full release

■ Use free sounds

that duck
Mar 23, 2013

Doomykins posted:

Oh no but you unlocked Jack. Anyone have a good strat for him? He seems obvious, build huge damage and obliterate everything including bosses, but his positives aren't as good as his negatives and I usually end up with meat walls of goons blocking my attacks on the boss. I guess I will reject reason and use a melee build to control what I'm hitting.

Everything you said is correct. Jack wants to build pure damage and just enough defense to not die in one hit. He's one of the hardest potatoes to win with.

If you're Still having trouble, try using the laser gun or the knife. Laser gun is normally mediocre because it overkills normal enemies and has a slow rate of fire, but it's basically perfect for Jack. Knife also does a lot of damage if you build crit chance.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

ExiledTinkerer posted:

An oddball with a Prologue and the proper EA starting in some weeks: X-Invader

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2214500/X_Invader_Prologue/

3 weapons in the final version? that just sounds lazy

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Brotato: demon is a very, very silly character
pick thief knife
spend hp to buy more hp
spend all your hp for more knives
all hp. its fine
get a bunch of materials to convert to hp, watch the game skip over 'you should be dead' at round end, and do it all again

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Got my Streamer D5 with a traditional engineering build, had 22+ armor at all times in the last waves. Pocket factory but trees were scarce. Had to get +30% speed early to stop dying to enormous self snares when my little piggy hit +15 or more material a second.

At this rate I'll be down to the last 1/3 of the roster most of which feature the bad 1/4 of the roster. Doable but pain incoming.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Okay, I got Imp Contraptioneer unlocked in Boneraiser Minions and I really cannot see the point of the class- it's cool that you can get more Imps and make more traps but the whole reconfiguring the various contraptions on the field just... seems pointless? I can set all that up between games and I don't really see what's to be gained as individual contraptions don't really make enough of a difference for swapping them mid-run to be useful.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Imp Contraptioneer is for use in the default game mode killing Gigald into NG+1 and 2. You can build things past the normal limits. You can deconstruct and rebuild them to spam their activations, though it'll remember how many you've made and raise the cost. How it works is that you set your good things up that give you scaling goodies. Max HP Fruit, Bee Hives, +1 bone raise level bone pillars.

Start a game, raise your first boner at lvl 3, run over to the pillars and sell them. Put another 2 down, do it again. Repeat until the cost is prohibitive. Eat your Max HP fruit. Save up to slam two more down in dead spots(like those bone pillars you just burned.) Need a full health heal right now? Save enough scrap to set your next Max HP fruit down at any time. You have bee hives to farm max HP, right? You can set up more past the limit.

Eventually it's too expensive to cheese things out so now you can convert all your slots into useful things like books that feed you spells, damage/slowing terrain, etc. You can set up more of those past the limits too, so LOTS of slowing scarecrows, etc.

You can also use buildings that cheese bro limits. You can get 1 of a bro by default. Put a building down for +1 and get Big Boo(bro), Big Pot, Big Flame, Big Mushroom and Big Pumpkin who are all universally useful for adding to your AoE and damage output. Once you have those big guys, who count as two of them(or you needed the 0/2 cap to get the 2 to smash them together) you can deconstruct the building and it won't despawn them. This can let you get Big Brozilla without actually having the spawn limits for it and so on.

Imp is a strong and weird class and be mindful that your build doesn't go too overboard on Imp Trappers who don't have good boss DPS, especially vs Gigald. Slamming in 3 Demon Imps can go bad long-term.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jul 5, 2023

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Pope Guilty posted:

Okay, I got Imp Contraptioneer unlocked in Boneraiser Minions and I really cannot see the point of the class- it's cool that you can get more Imps and make more traps but the whole reconfiguring the various contraptions on the field just... seems pointless? I can set all that up between games and I don't really see what's to be gained as individual contraptions don't really make enough of a difference for swapping them mid-run to be useful.

Here's a guide that teaches how to "go infinite" with the Imp Contraptioneer. I never bothered, but evidently there's some benefits to its shtick.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I love that since flash died, arcade games died, and now a whole new generation is paying 3-5 bucks for flash games

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

A lot of flash games were worth money so I'm happy for the devs to get their due as long as it doesn't barrel into mobile game design hell.

Deep Sleep/Don't Escape for example. Happy to support their stuff.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

everyone post your survivorlike steam category. im curious what people have

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012

Awesome! posted:

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I've got a dynamic category that lumps all of them together with shoot-em-ups, twin stick & top-down shooters and what not (Binding of Isaac, Luftrausers, Undertale?).

I refunded it but I keep the install of Cult of Babel around as a memento. I loved the prologue, but the first EA release was terrible.

duomo
Oct 9, 2007

Soiled Meat

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/2244480/view/3641771972853853477

Remedium: Sentinels arrives at v1.0 week after next with HUD, interface, and quality of life improvements as well as worldwide leaderboards and new achievements after recently handling Steam Deck support.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

not a fan of any of these last few. I've made some good progress with spiked shield golem but can't quite close out the round. lich seems like they should be pretty easy something about it just never quite clicks. and cyborg's whole tech switching gimmick can eat every inch of my fat rear end.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
https://steamcommunity.com/games/2137760/announcements/detail/3653030971915191203

Crafty Survivors with a Forest boss and various other things in the last smaller updates including the Fisherman, a mail system, a challenge system, etc---the gains are stacking:

quote:

New Content
New Stage Type: Dungeon Stage
Dungeon stages feature their own big boss at the end of the stage that drop a special boss material. These stages will offer a different challenge, with tougher enemies and bosses, and they will be added on certain areas as the game continues development.

New Stages
Unlocked Stages in the Forest;
Added new Stages in the Beach.

Village
Added a new recipe;
Added a new statue;
Added new levels for the buildings that require a specific material.

Adjustments
Grasslands
Slightly increased the Material Rewards when clearing Stages of the Grasslands.

Bug Fixes
Agriana should not be damaged while in the middle of a Carrodrill dash anymore;
Fixed some skill tooltips and descriptions.

Next Steps:
Now we will develop the next area for the game, with its own set of enemies, hazards and secrets to find. There will be new systems added to the Village and a new character. We already decided their design and skills and we can’t wait to share them with everyone! We will reveal the new character as soon as their development is almost complete. We will show a sneak peek of them on one of the next updates! So stay tuned!

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Got Crazy and Renegade D5s today. :3: 30/45!

dis astranagant posted:

not a fan of any of these last few. I've made some good progress with spiked shield golem but can't quite close out the round. lich seems like they should be pretty easy something about it just never quite clicks. and cyborg's whole tech switching gimmick can eat every inch of my fat rear end.

Cyborg: Likely the easiest character in the game. Split your build between guns and wrenches, you start with one of the best guns in the game, grab some lifesteal and every ranged damage you see. All you do is shoot stuff until your turrets shoot stuff, the ranged damage ratio is absurd.

Golem: I think Spiked Shields are limited because armor doesn't offer much benefit past 20(same issue on Knight) and other melee weapons will scale better short of getting a bunch of T3/T4 shields(i.e. unarmed for passive dodge and attacking twice as fast, primitive for your HP bonus, fighting sticks and other weapons with two sources of scaling.) They offer knockback but I often find heavy knockback to be a trap stat: I'd prefer something blocking my kiting path be dead instead of potentially knocked into it again. Golem has extra dump stats so fitting in conventional damage stats is easier. Get dat HP so your hyper mode activates sooner.

Lich: Lich's trick is that he's actually a conventional potato despite what looks like an infinite damage aura. So many enemies spawn in the second half of the game it can't keep up even with loads of regen and lifesteal. What makes him excellent and an easy win is that he starts with a bunch of free stats for the immortality approach. Reinforce those with some damage and it should come naturally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Awesome! posted:

I actually have so few that I threw them in another category I wasn't using.

Not pictured: Rogue Genesia and Spellbook Demonslayers.