Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Old Doggy Bastard posted:

Aw man, wish we had a Aliens: Dark Descent thread. Not a perfect game, but one that's scratches and itch and I think could have an incredible sequel. I need to talk about which perks and upgrades are best.

:justpost:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Gin_Rummy posted:

Is it only enjoyed with friends (thus requiring a group of 16 people you know), or is it pretty good even in pickup games?

No, I don't think so. You get split into squads of 4 but there's no text chat and so people are pretty chatty on voice comms and generally have been pretty cool/funny RPing and stuff like that. There's also a ping system so you can communicate fairly well by pinging objectives and targets. I am playing with a friend, I'm sure it'd be fun to get a squad of 4 with friends but it doesn't seem like a requirement for a good time.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Question on Dave the Diver: Is there a way to find out which menu dishes sold and which were discarded?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Unlucky7 posted:

Question on Dave the Diver: Is there a way to find out which menu dishes sold and which were discarded?

I think you just have to keep an eye on the little tabs hanging over the counter, but I'd love a detailed breakdown myself.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Gin_Rummy posted:

Has anyone tried this Starship Troopers game on sale right now? It doesn’t look particularly novel, but it seems like a fun take on survival PvE with an IP I kind of like.
Something to note is they intend on increasing the price at some point where they will still add more content afterwards. You could wait several months until they announce a price hike and get it before then.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Black Griffon posted:

I think you just have to keep an eye on the little tabs hanging over the counter, but I'd love a detailed breakdown myself.

I just noticed those. Don’t know if they were there before the sushi bar is fixed.

Also I just found out that I have been wasting a whole lot of fish :doh:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Unlucky7 posted:

I just noticed those. Don’t know if they were there before the sushi bar is fixed.

oh god same :eng99:

Resonance22
Dec 17, 2006

I've just been putting up 1 or 2 stacks of a sushi and then setting it to auto-supply.

It's a bit too hectic for me to understanding what's going on, but I think this lets me save on ingredients (losing just 0-2 at the end of the day), but requires Bancho to cook more often.

Also some of the more fancy dishes have multiple charges where one will serve ~5 people.

vv Ah, true enough. The times I ended up with no waste was just because I used up all of my stock.

Resonance22 fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jul 4, 2023

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Auto supply will always make you lose one at the end of the day since it auto supplies, then nobody buys it.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I've invested in good employees to take care of a lot of the service and such, but I enjoy putting together menus every night. It's good to always check in to see what you can upgrade and such.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Unlucky7 posted:

Pretty sure I wasted a bunch of the boss dishes early on when I was just throwing things into the menu at random without really planning anything. When you kill a boss it's best to serve them with a more limited menu so customers are forced to buy it out of stock and you get the max value, the worst that can happen is you have fewer pieces of sushi than total customers and a few of them end up ordering norimaki.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Every time I try Valorant I uninstall after remembering how goddamn long matches are.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Gin_Rummy posted:

Is it only enjoyed with friends (thus requiring a group of 16 people you know), or is it pretty good even in pickup games?

I've been playing solo with no issue. Honestly, pretty happy with paying 20 bucks for what we got now knowing we're getting more content down the road.

EDIT: I didn't realize until now that the team behind Squad is developing this, so now I'm even more excited for what's to come.

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jul 5, 2023

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Disposable Scud posted:

Every time I try Valorant I uninstall after remembering how goddamn long matches are.

There are modes that are shorter e.g. 6-10 minutes.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I didn't do this on purpose but I might as well share the information.

Black Reliquary is a standalone total conversion of Darkest Dungeon 1.
It's free but it has a requirement that you must own Darkest Dungeon 1 and all of it's DLC to be able to download it.
I didn't have the DLC but I was interested in trying the mod so I bought all of it to do so, but then later remembered why I didn't like Darkest Dungeon and refunded it.

I do still have access to the Black Reliquary though, because it's a standalone mod that was already added to my library.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hmm, interesting! Out of curiosity, does it let you install and play it without the base game+DLC, though? Or does it give you an error about missing prerequisites or something?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Major Isoor posted:

Hmm, interesting! Out of curiosity, does it let you install and play it without the base game+DLC, though? Or does it give you an error about missing prerequisites or something?

Yeah, I can play it.

Harry Privates
Oct 10, 2007
Debating between the following. Will probably grab 2 of these 3, but not sure what 2. Any thoughts?

Dave the Diver
Dredge
Pizza Tower

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Harry Privates posted:

Debating between the following. Will probably grab 2 of these 3, but not sure what 2. Any thoughts?

Dave the Diver
Dredge
Pizza Tower

If you're looking for an atmospheric horror game, Dredge peters out on that front fairly quickly, in my opinion.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Harry Privates posted:

Dave the Diver
Dredge
Pizza Tower

I am only two hours in, but Dave the Diver is an absolute must. Haven’t even played the other two but I doubt my opinion would change regardless.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Harry Privates posted:

Dave the Diver
Dredge
Pizza Tower

Pizza Tower is phenomenal.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
Can anyone recommend a few horror games? I have Iron Lung in my cart but want something else. I don't really like the Resident Evils.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

err posted:

Can anyone recommend a few horror games? I have Iron Lung in my cart but want something else. I don't really like the Resident Evils.

I don't like horror games but I found Signalis to be absolutely exceptional.
Also Dark Wood is pretty good.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

err posted:

Yuppie Psycho

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Harry Privates posted:

Dave the Diver

Pizza Tower

These two

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

err posted:

Darkwood

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

err posted:

In terms of new stuff:

Amnesia: The Bunker came out in June. Amnesia devs. I love all their games, save for being kinda meh about Machine For Pigs, but this game came out without much hype. Mostly good reviews, but I saw some goon who said they returned it because it was too hard. I haven't picked it up yet. I got enough stuff to play at the moment and will grab it closer to Halloween.

World of Horror is coming out of early access this year (finally). Excellent 10/10 experience if you like Japanese horror mythologies. I'm so happy this is actually releasing so more people play it.

Sons of the Forest (early access) is extremely promising, but needs more time in the oven. They're pumping out updates every 2-3 weeks, but I'm waiting until it gets closer to release to play it some more. I put 15 hours in and really enjoyed my time exploring beautiful and moody cannibal Island with buds, but it's not a feature complete game. I loved OG The Forest, you can pick that game up for cheap if you haven't played it yet.

System Shock Remake what more can I say that hasn't been said already? Nightdive killed it with this remake. If you've played System Shock 2 or Prey then this is a must buy.

Dead Island 2 didn't play, but I watched a streamer play about 6ish hours and it looks okay? More Dead Island. I had my fill with the original Dead Island and Dying Light. I have no real interest in this game, but it looks fine.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
I will also recommend Darkwood. It's an enchanting experience that's stuck with me for half a decade now.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I’m gonna be the dissenting opinion on Darkwood.

The horror was on point, as was the atmosphere. The thing that instantly killed it for me was that you move bases part way through the game and that involves patching up a new safe house and/or moving over resources over long distances manually. It was the ultimate buzz kill mechanically speaking especially because I was already kind of lukewarm on the crafting/resource gathering system for this kind of game.

e: this is weird for me because in other games like 7 days to die, I’m completely at harmony with the crafting and crafting resource mechanics. I just can’t deal with it here in this game.

buglord fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jul 5, 2023

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

you don't need to move resources to a new hideout manually, if you give alcohol to the bike man he transfers your stash to the new hideout the next morning

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

ninjoatse.cx posted:

What's the thread's thoughts on Cruelty Squad? Must own, one off gimmick, or unplayable garbage?

It’s a really good game and it’s really hard to explain why. It’s weird and well designed around it’s jank.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Propaganda Hour posted:

World of Horror is coming out of early access this year (finally). Excellent 10/10 experience if you like Japanese horror mythologies. I'm so happy this is actually releasing so more people play it.
I've been waiting on this one to come out of Early Access for awhile now. It looks cool but I've just been burned by Early Access too many times.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I wonder if I'm the only person who hates the idea of running a sushi restaurant and noped out of Dave the Diver even before playing it. Now that I read that it has tons of button mashing minigames it was the right decision anyways.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Propaganda Hour posted:

In terms of new stuff:

Dead Island 2 didn't play, but I watched a streamer play about 6ish hours and it looks okay? More Dead Island. I had my fill with the original Dead Island and Dying Light. I have no real interest in this game, but it looks fine.

cmon man it's not a horror game, it's just a regular stat grinding shooter with zombies

my vote: No one lives under the Lighthouse

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Goa Tse-tung posted:

cmon man it's not a horror game, it's just a regular stat grinding shooter with zombies

The horror of Dead Island 2 is about how it's perfectly acceptable to release a product of such quality in today's AAA gaming market.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

FrickenMoron posted:

I wonder if I'm the only person who hates the idea of running a sushi restaurant and noped out of Dave the Diver even before playing it. Now that I read that it has tons of button mashing minigames it was the right decision anyways.

There's really only one harpoon type that you have to mash buttons for and for me at least it became a non issue because you upgrade beyond the point where you need to mash to catch most fish. Also that's the starter harpoon which you almost always replace at the start of a dive with a different harpoon type that has different mechanics for catching large fish. There's lots of other ways to catch fish that don't involve any sort of minigame like tranquilizer darts but you will need to waggle a stick or push two face buttons quickly in sequence to catch bigger fish with a harpoon sometimes so if that concept annoys you then the game's not for you because there are a lot of those sorts of minigames throughout the game.

For me, the game's been a masterclass in presenting you with new mechanics and upgrades in a way that makes it hard to put down. The sushi restaurant part is quick but prepping the day's menu is always fun and it's really satisfying to see profits go up as you dive deeper and find newer fish and easier ways to catch them. Everything you can buy with money makes your life slightly easier in some way whether it be new gear for your dives or new staff to automate the restaurant so it's really hard for me to put down.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Croccers posted:

They posted somewhere on the forums, but they're having issues with both publisher and Microsoft about getting patches out.
And stated their publisher rushed it our the door, too.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

buglord posted:

I’m gonna be the dissenting opinion on Darkwood.

The horror was on point, as was the atmosphere. The thing that instantly killed it for me was that you move bases part way through the game and that involves patching up a new safe house and/or moving over resources over long distances manually. It was the ultimate buzz kill mechanically speaking especially because I was already kind of lukewarm on the crafting/resource gathering system for this kind of game.

e: this is weird for me because in other games like 7 days to die, I’m completely at harmony with the crafting and crafting resource mechanics. I just can’t deal with it here in this game.

imo playing Darkwood sucked pretty hard. Everything is extremely tedious. I gave up when I got to the second safe house.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

How psychotic is the pvp playerbase in Sea of Thieves if I just want to solo a tiny schooner and gently caress around with PVE content? Is this a dark souls thing, where the guys who are into pvp are really into it and existing on the server is an invitation to immediately get blown out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Omi no Kami posted:

How psychotic is the pvp playerbase in Sea of Thieves if I just want to solo a tiny schooner and gently caress around with PVE content? Is this a dark souls thing, where the guys who are into pvp are really into it and existing on the server is an invitation to immediately get blown out?

I wouldn't call it psychotic, you will run into people who want to kill you but there's a lot to do in the game now besides hunting other players compared to when it first came out so it's not so common. There's a guild in game that rewards players for hunting player ships but when they enroll in it they appear on the map for everyone to see so you can usually skirt around them. Even moreso if you're a solo player in a sloop and they're in a bigger ship because you can easily outrun then. You'll definitely have a better time with even one more person on your ship but it's pretty doable solo.