Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Is anybody who already has the Blu-ray planning to….

…upgrade? :smug:

https://twitter.com/scream_factory/status/1676266153050787840?s=46&t=K6CRMiA33aFQep_ZPx64DQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Bought a new center speaker like a month ago (Polk R400) and put it to good use with today's annual double feature of Independence Day and Jaws UHDs. It's amazing.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Upgrade is rad. Not sure if it would really benefit from the 4K upgrade, but if you don't already have it you should get it. It's a gem.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I was waiting for a release that had any special features besides a trailer

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

CelticPredator posted:

I was waiting for a release that had any special features besides a trailer

https://secondsightfilms.co.uk/products/upgrade

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Umbrella just announced the Pusher trilogy for September. Hooray for Australia and New Zealand.

https://shop.umbrellaent.com.au/pro...tember_preorder

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jul 5, 2023

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

How many of you actually listen to commentary tracks on most of the movies you buy? I try to every now and then but I just don't rewatch movies often enough to make it that attractive. Also on a lot of the kung fu movies I collect the commentaries are just some breathy nerd with a podcast or something.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Mantis42 posted:

How many of you actually listen to commentary tracks on most of the movies you buy? I try to every now and then but I just don't rewatch movies often enough to make it that attractive. Also on a lot of the kung fu movies I collect the commentaries are just some breathy nerd with a podcast or something.

Virtually every one, though sometimes i take a while to get around to the second and third commentaries.

Related, my 74-year-old mum has a large movie collection and frequently refers to any special features as "commentaries".

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Something I would like to do is rip all of the commentary tracks into just audio tracks to listen to like podcasts.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
I always watch the commentary. Right now I just finished watching "Hot Under the Collar" and am watching the commentary. Sometimes I look at a release like "Full Time" for example, looks like a good movie, but it has one commentary from a *film critic* and not much else. So I figure why bother buying this might as well just rent it on streaming.

It's funny you mention the commentary for the Kung Fu movies cuz lots of the ones I own have ones from Frank Djeng and I am not a fan. It's like every person that appears on screen he has to recite their IMDB page not just the primary actors but *all* the stunt people. It gets really tiresome.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

edogawa rando posted:

Umbrella just announced the Pusher trilogy for September. Hooray for Australia and New Zealand.

Oh gently caress yeah

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.

dorium posted:

Something I would like to do is rip all of the commentary tracks into just audio tracks to listen to like podcasts.

I've always wanted to do this with John Waters's commentary tracks.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
For those that have never had the pleasure of the Predator 2 UHD because it's only ever been released in that box set, the set is currently down to $27 on Amazon which I'd say is a price you can justify even if it's just for Predator 2.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

TheMopeSquad posted:

I always watch the commentary. Right now I just finished watching "Hot Under the Collar" and am watching the commentary. Sometimes I look at a release like "Full Time" for example, looks like a good movie, but it has one commentary from a *film critic* and not much else. So I figure why bother buying this might as well just rent it on streaming.

I enjoy commentaries by *film critics*, often more than cast/crew commentaries, which are usually mostly back-patting and fluffy. Besides, a lot of times those film critic commentaries are on films from 60+ years ago, you're not gonna get Fritz Lang to record a commentary.

I re-listened to the Boogie Nights one last week and man was it excellent. It was recorded near the end of the Laserdisc heyday, before DVD brought the concept into the mainstream, and it was just this little private one-sided conversation the filmmaker was having with the geeks who cared enough to want to know this poo poo. Director commentaries of the last 20 years (when they even exist) tend to be cautious and diplomatic. PTA didn't burn any bridges but he spoke frankly and passionately and god I wish we could have more of that. You can't be new again though.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Basebf555 posted:

For those that have never had the pleasure of the Predator 2 UHD because it's only ever been released in that box set, the set is currently down to $27 on Amazon which I'd say is a price you can justify even if it's just for Predator 2.

Missed the last time this dropped so low, thanks!

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

edogawa rando posted:

Give me this but not region locked :(
Also if we're doing Danish movies, In China They Eat Dogs could also use one.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

When I was a kid I listened to the cast commentary on Holes as often as I watched the movie. I thought it was so cool that they got the kids in the booth to goof around - no doubt I won't find it funny now that I'm an adult, but I even listened to the director's commentary as well. Those and, of all things, The Brothers Chaps' commentary on the Homestar Runner DVDs are like gold standard commentary tracks to me.

I need to get back to actually watching commentary tracks now that I'm physically buying films that have them. I used to love to sit for hours in front of my DVD player and enjoy them.

Speaking of, my first shipment from the B&N sale is coming today. :getin:

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
conan has a commentary with arnold where i'm pretty sure he's watching the movie for the first time and it's fun
cannibal the musical has one with the south park guys where they get entirely too drunk while doing the commentary

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

zer0spunk posted:

conan has a commentary with arnold where i'm pretty sure he's watching the movie for the first time and it's fun
cannibal the musical has one with the south park guys where they get entirely too drunk while doing the commentary

The Orgazmo commentary is the same, they get hosed up and its a lot of fun

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Arnie's commentary is usually pretty boring.

"Ahhh yes heuh ahm pushing zees boulder, increadibly heffy boulder"

Maybe with a few drinks in him it would be better.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

FilthyImp posted:

Arnie's commentary is usually pretty boring.

"Ahhh yes heuh ahm pushing zees boulder, increadibly heffy boulder"

Maybe with a few drinks in him it would be better.

I think i'm just amused that he's seeing the film for the first time, like my dude, they didn't invite you to the premiere?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

zer0spunk posted:

I think i'm just amused that he's seeing the film for the first time, like my dude, they didn't invite you to the premiere?

He's busy.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Gripweed posted:

He's busy.

Isn't that one his breakout role that got him on the map (not counting pumping iron for being a doc)..you'd think of all the films he'd have seen that one

on topic: i finally got the last action hero uhd and sony really did this movie right from transfer on down to features

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jul 5, 2023

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Today’s VS $14 deals:

Minor Premise
Curfew
Wolfpack
The Long Walk
Project Space 13
Slashdance
Burglar from Hell
2 Undercover Angels/Kiss Me Monster double feature
Raw Nerve
Deathcember
Hot Snake/Guns and Guts double feature

I recommend Minor Premise and Curfew. Bought Raw Nerve but haven’t seen it yet. Thought about The Long Walk before, may finally get it this time

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

zer0spunk posted:

on topic: i finally got the last action hero uhd and sony really did this movie right from transfer on down to features

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the UHD format was made for 90s action movies. If you see a 90s action movie get a UHD release, chances are it's gonna look great.

The bummer of it is that one of the big exceptions is also maybe the best 90s action movie of all, Terminator 2.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I just watched Wolfpack the other day, it's really good. A high school football team on a losing streak decide to use some dirty tactics to win both their games and the hearts and minds of the school, in a pretty clever allegory about the rise of fascism in a system that's failing. Some of it's really on-the-nose, like the main antagonist being named Jack "Jack Boot" Butkowski, but overall I'd highly recommend it.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Basebf555 posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the UHD format was made for 90s action movies. If you see a 90s action movie get a UHD release, chances are it's gonna look great.

The bummer of it is that one of the big exceptions is also maybe the best 90s action movie of all, Terminator 2.

I'm still waiting on Die Hard 3, maybe I'll get lucky and they release that before two.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

zer0spunk posted:

I'm still waiting on Die Hard 3, maybe I'll get lucky and they release that before two.

I want a complete set, I think Die Hard 2, 3, and 4 would all potentially look great on UHD. Plenty of great explosions in all three of those movies.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I've seen 2 multiple times and nothing sticks, nowhere near the fondness of the first one or the third (sam jackson/jeremey irons nail it for me)

4 and 5 really bummed me out, and I'm one of those people that bought the first one on UHD when that came out, so I gotta pull for the individual options...it's weird we haven't seen any more then the first one so far though for sure

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Die Hard 4 was one of those sequels that felt like it hit at the right time. Just long enough after 3 that there was justifiable hype behind it, not long enough that Bruce felt any lesser or washed up, he still felt like he was in his prime. And the action delivered, they pretty much gave me everything I wanted in a Die Hard sequel.

We don't speak of Die Hard 5.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
The monkeypaw curls, a boxset is announced and becomes the only way to own the rest, but now we all own five :negative:

I'm looking at you Halloween 95-02 box set

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I would buy a set on the strength of 3 alone. Already have the first one on UHD but I love consolidation, so I wouldn’t have my BD collection of Die Hard 1-4 and then standalone Die Hard UHD.

Along those lines, insane that there’s no Lethal Weapon UHD set. Those first 3 are a blast! And the first 2 are outright classics!

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I think it was a Region B release for Lethal Weapon had them all collected. Good quality set too.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea very odd that we haven't at least had a Lethal Weapon 1 UHD release. They love to have seasonal releases when Christmas rolls around and I keep expecting Lethal Weapon to be one of them but so far nothing.

I think right now my most desired 90s action UHDs would be the classic Nic Cage trilogy, The Rock/Con Air/Face Off.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jul 5, 2023

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Boywhiz88 posted:

I would buy a set on the strength of 3 alone. Already have the first one on UHD but I love consolidation, so I wouldn’t have my BD collection of Die Hard 1-4 and then standalone Die Hard UHD.

Along those lines, insane that there’s no Lethal Weapon UHD set. Those first 3 are a blast! And the first 2 are outright classics!

Lethal weapon 2 is probably a top 3 action movie for me, had a broadcast recording of it as a kid and I watched it almost daily.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

I need a Face/Off UHD yesterday. Amazed it hasn't been done yet.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

I need a Face/Off UHD yesterday. Amazed it hasn't been done yet.

Kino announced this earlier this year. No date yet.

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Face-Off-4K-Blu-ray/329642/

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

The best commentary tracks are the ones with both Kurt Russell and John Carpenter in them.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
I would kill for a Demolition Man UHD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

My Barnes & Noble order arrived, except for Multiple Maniacs which is set for next week. The cardboard sleeves for the David Lynch films are undoubtedly beautiful and I wasn't expecting so many great extras - Do The Right Thing has an entire novel of stuff. But I think my favorite purchase was Crumb. Something about the Criterion release fascinated me from the moment I knew it existed and the plastic case, new reflection on the film from a reviewer, and included pieces of Crumb art are all excellent extras. I love the double-sided art on all the plastic cases, too.

And it should be out already!!!! :colbert:

Got it set to notify me when it's available. Definitely a must-buy.