Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
The basic Twinblade is fun but Not Great, you're not missing much. The damage is mediocre as is the scaling, making it worse by adding bleed or poison is not a great proposition, it's one of the few duds in DS2's arsenal (see also: Reapers). The big exception, as has been mentioned, is the Red Iron Winblade, which hits like two trucks connected back-to-back, and has some super unexpected moves in its set, including a stab, elevating it beyond any other Twinblade.

Now, weapons with twinblade moves in their moveset, that's a different story. There's two spears that can do the twirl when two-handed, and they own a whole lot. So overall, it's great that Twinblades exist, just don't try to build around the basic one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The DS2 Belfry Gargoyles are probably a top 10 hardest Souls boss for me. I don't know why, something about them just breaks my brain.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Simply Simon posted:

The basic Twinblade is fun but Not Great, you're not missing much. The damage is mediocre as is the scaling, making it worse by adding bleed or poison is not a great proposition, it's one of the few duds in DS2's arsenal (see also: Reapers). The big exception, as has been mentioned, is the Red Iron Winblade, which hits like two trucks connected back-to-back, and has some super unexpected moves in its set, including a stab, elevating it beyond any other Twinblade.

Now, weapons with twinblade moves in their moveset, that's a different story. There's two spears that can do the twirl when two-handed, and they own a whole lot. So overall, it's great that Twinblades exist, just don't try to build around the basic one.

Yeah what's that one i see all the time? There's two, one with the big charge attack and one with the twin blade moves. I might be thinking of the same spear actually

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Santier's Spear after you break the rock off of it by destroying it's durability.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

The other one is Yorgh's from the DLC1 final boss

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
That's the ones!

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Pre-nerf Mundane Santier's Spear was a menace

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Powerstance is mostly a gimmick in ds2, but sometimes it has its uses. Rapier+curved sword or straight sword gives you sweeping slashes with good horizontal coverage, even if you’re still better off with single rapier (two-handed or with a shield) for bosses. It’s great with the caestus, and off-hand blue flame is another really fun option for magic builds.

Double-thrusting-sword powerstancing, especially with the leo ring, will let you do disgusting amounts of damage almost instantly.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Bring back Mundane scaling, coward From. Yes, it's too much damage, but you pay for it by having no dump stat. :colbert:

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

heard u like girls posted:

Santier's Spear after you break the rock off of it by destroying it's durability.

Oooh, I have that weapon, I was actually thinking about it when someone said to use concussive damage on the stone gargoyles and I was like "yea well I'm a dex build, so...".

I'm doing a decent enough job avoiding major spoilers, I've cheated a bit and checked the wikis once or twice about nitty gritty numbers stuff (like why does this boss-soul poison dagger do nothing? oh it has toxic). The sense of discovery in these games is cool, but there's also like, stupid amounts of content that can be missed.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

The Moon Monster posted:

The DS2 Belfry Gargoyles are probably a top 10 hardest Souls boss for me. I don't know why, something about them just breaks my brain.

Absolutely same. I still haven't beaten them, but to be honest I haven't been back to try either.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The Moon Monster posted:

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Absolutely same. I still haven't beaten them, but to be honest I haven't been back to try either.

You want to kill them one at a time and avoid doing any damage to the ones you're not killing, because the additional spawns happen based on the shared health bar (90%, 70%, and 50% to be exact).

Also they're weak to strike damage and magic damage, so a mace with magic ooze will shred them.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

NGDBSS posted:

Even slabs are in infinite supply from a wooden chest in the Dragon Shrine. Technically you have to use a Bonfire Ascetic to reset the area each time but those are in turn farmable from a chest in Aldia's Keep that gives you two each time you open it.

Slabs are in infinite supply (and not even a bad drop %) from the stone soldiers that will spawn infinitely next to "under Castle Drangleic" bonfire. No need for Champions covenant. They're easily farmable as you can pull them and run back close to the bonfire and they will slowly retreat back to position.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
Slabs are dirt common in DS2, you even get one far too early in FoFG.

It's Chunks that are trickier. You can get enough to upgrade at least 2 weapons to +9 scattered across Gutter/Iron Keep/Tseldora, which is still surprisingly easy. That's right, you can get +10s even before you hit the endgame path of Drangleic Castle > Amana > Undead Crypt > Dragon Shrine, or before you even touch the DLCs. But if you want to upgrade alot of weapons in one playthrough, you're going to have to purchase them from the stone merchant. And that means either spending your Soul Memory, or farming.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Bellbros are drowning in chunks. Not sure if it still holds in these times tho

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Chunks are also relatively easily farmed from the leeches in the Gutter, bonus bunch of Large Shards so you'll never run out of those either

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Elden Lord Godfrey posted:

And that means either spending your Soul Memory, or farming.

I always ignored soul memory, that's why DS2 is the game I've had the least co-op/pvp interactions of all souls games. I like to have a good bunch of fully upgraded weapons and armor before NG+ and the game "punishes" me for that. I know that it tried to prevent twinks but failed at that.

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

Gaius Marius posted:

Bellbros are drowning in chunks. Not sure if it still holds in these times tho

making a beeline for belfry luna worked for me like a month ago. i was able to get 4-5 weapons up to +9 or +10 in an evening of getting summoned every few minutes. it really dries up somewhere around like 300k soul memory though

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Tungsten posted:

making a beeline for belfry luna worked for me like a month ago. i was able to get 4-5 weapons up to +9 or +10 in an evening of getting summoned every few minutes. it really dries up somewhere around like 300k soul memory though

Agape ring's great for this specific purpose and it's pretty close to Luna

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Agape ring is definitely a goatse reference

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Requesting some build advice: As attached, I've finally decided on a fashion I'm happy with very later in the game. (To be decided if I can handle having 0 poise forever...), so I've been doing some wiki diving and am gonna respec, and would like some feedback.

a) I like the poison build, using Mythra's Bent blade for now with the black stinger for reach.
b) Previously huge success was the black stinger or short sword primary with a katana powerstanced for horizontal swipe. If bad comes to worse, I know I can drop back to that, and equip some heavier armour.
c) Other options include Ricardo's rapier (currently at +0) for either poison or raw dps?
d) Have been abusing the bow as much as I can, love it.

So, ideas for respeccing and going forwards: I have too much carry capacity now, and only finally got some utility spellcasting for the Iron Castle (flash sweat). Am thinking of dumping most of that capacity and surplus Int into spell slots, spamming repair or optionally an enchant weapon, and maybe any other suggested buffs to simpleton's spice down? I like the idea of the repair spell and had previously been upgrading the Old Knight set lol.

As for where I am, currently in Dranelic Castle and to my shame I had no idea how those golems kept being activated, I actually had to look it up as I was stuck and had been Forrest Gump-ing my way through all the doors previously. I also got down to the DLC(?) boss in dragon's sanctum, got splattered a few times by her Golden Knight summon and decided to park it for later.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I think you've absolutely nailed the fashion, no respec needed

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I think you've absolutely nailed the fashion, no respec needed
:hmmyes:

That Desert Sorceress hood never gets old.

Repair is ok, but eeeeh, there's Repair Powder, so... I'd slot in a magic weapon buff instead, it's always more damage.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Build looks sick, I think you absolutely "get it", doesn't seem like there's much of a need for changes if you're happy with it. You've obviously progressed a lot in Shulva already, which is "the poison DLC", if the build didn't falter there, you can carry this through everything.

I recommend progressing the "main quest" a bit more before trying to finish the DLCs, it'll give you more context for some of the things, and if you play your cards correctly, you can find out more about why you are even doing them. Ask about hints if you want, it's mostly just so the lore makes more sense, less true gameplay spoilers.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Serephina posted:

So, ideas for respeccing and going forwards: I have too much carry capacity now, and only finally got some utility spellcasting for the Iron Castle (flash sweat). Am thinking of dumping most of that capacity and surplus Int into spell slots, spamming repair or optionally an enchant weapon, and maybe any other suggested buffs to simpleton's spice down? I like the idea of the repair spell and had previously been upgrading the Old Knight set lol.

Lookin Good

Are you talking about 'too much carrying capacity' in reference to Flynn's Ring? (since you've been in Shulva)

Spoilers about that from noted dubious site fextralife :

Otherwise i think you'r stats look solid, not sure if a respec is worth it, but it wouldn't really hurt either probably. IIrc the Old Knight set is pretty heavy, so taking points out of Vit seems like a mistake if you ever want to wear that. Better off getting 10 levels worth of souls from some boss somewhere and just expand on your stats imo.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Well yea, that and when I first decided on the look I was at 17% load, which is a liiitle bit overkill. I'm not even using powerstance with that setup as the weapon ranges are so disimilar, I feel like I've "missed the point" somehow with a dual-wielding dex guy, like I should be using curved swords or something.

Also I popped back into the sleeping giant forest quickly, and accidentally got my 0-poise rear end murked by a few hollow soldiers as I forgot they treat their swords like rapid-fire spears at times. It really pointed out the scaling the game has; your hp doesn't really go up much from lvl 20->120, but your dps sure does, so early game enemies might die in a single shot but they can still hit hard. It's weird. Also I'm not sure there's much point in levelling up random stats anymore, as the wiki points out that the returns are nil, and so I'd have to branch out into new domains like more casting or Str or something. Guess I'm spending most of my souls on buying titanite now, which is fine.

Oh, and all of a sudden my bonfire warp menu blew up, there's a ton of greyed out locations in the main selection, not just the sub-location choices. Might have had something to do with poking my head into the Icy Domain (dlc?), but it's ugly and spoiler-riffick.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jul 7, 2023

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Serephina posted:

Oh, and all of a sudden my bonfire warp menu blew up, there's a ton of greyed out locations in the main selection, not just the sub-location choices. Might have had something to do with poking my head into the Icy Domain (dlc?), but it's ugly and spoiler-riffick.

It’s cause you talked to the queen

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

You still get 20 hp per level from the health stat, up to the hard[?] cap of 50. Can be worth it i think, because the extra health can mitigate the extra damage you get from not wearing much in the way of armor/poise.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

heard u like girls posted:

You still get 20 hp per level from the health stat, up to the hard[?] cap of 50. Can be worth it i think, because the extra health can mitigate the extra damage you get from not wearing much in the way of armor/poise.

It feels so nice running around with 50 Vig.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

The Moon Monster posted:

During the launch of DS2, the Belfry Gargoyles in the Covenant of Champions were one of the hardest bosses because I didn't really have an upgraded weapon, didn't have a bow or magic, and couldn't summon.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022

Serephina posted:

Well yea, that and when I first decided on the look I was at 17% load, which is a liiitle bit overkill. I'm not even using powerstance with that setup as the weapon ranges are so disimilar, I feel like I've "missed the point" somehow with a dual-wielding dex guy, like I should be using curved swords or something.

Also I popped back into the sleeping giant forest quickly, and accidentally got my 0-poise rear end murked by a few hollow soldiers as I forgot they treat their swords like rapid-fire spears at times. It really pointed out the scaling the game has; your hp doesn't really go up much from lvl 20->120, but your dps sure does, so early game enemies might die in a single shot but they can still hit hard. It's weird. Also I'm not sure there's much point in levelling up random stats anymore, as the wiki points out that the returns are nil, and so I'd have to branch out into new domains like more casting or Str or something. Guess I'm spending most of my souls on buying titanite now, which is fine.

You have too much Vitality, aka your stat that governs your equipment load max limit. If you are using a Flynn's Ring, you want to keep it to just at 60, going any higher actively costs you a damage bonus from Flynn's Ring. In your case drop it down to 14 Vitality.

Assuming you have a equipload of 11.6 units of weight, once you drop to 14 Vit you should still be under 20% equipload for stamina recovery and roll distance. But trying to keep under 20% equipload you're hitting diminishing returns on stamina recovery, so don't worry about that, I personally just like to keep under either 30, 50 or 70%.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

Serephina posted:

Requesting some build advice: As attached, I've finally decided on a fashion I'm happy with very later in the game. (To be decided if I can handle having 0 poise forever...), so I've been doing some wiki diving and am gonna respec, and would like some feedback.

a) I like the poison build, using Mythra's Bent blade for now with the black stinger for reach.
b) Previously huge success was the black stinger or short sword primary with a katana powerstanced for horizontal swipe. If bad comes to worse, I know I can drop back to that, and equip some heavier armour.
c) Other options include Ricardo's rapier (currently at +0) for either poison or raw dps?
d) Have been abusing the bow as much as I can, love it.

As for where I am, currently in Dranelic Castle and to my shame I had no idea how those golems kept being activated, I actually had to look it up as I was stuck and had been Forrest Gump-ing my way through all the doors previously. I also got down to the DLC(?) boss in dragon's sanctum, got splattered a few times by her Golden Knight summon and decided to park it for later.

That's a good look!

If you do go with primarily rapiers, you'll probably get more use out of swapping out Flynn's for the Leo ring. There's a surprisingly narrow band of Vitality/equip load at which Flynn's bonus is significant but thrust counter-damage is always good.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I just got the maneater sword, which made me cry out "where have you been my entire life" so I'm double-handing that and the stinger. Not powerstancing them, interestingly despite having the stats, as I like to swap between the movesets. I'm considering using a bonfire aesthetic for the first time to get a second mythra's dagger, as it doesn't really combo well with the bigger swords but I love what it does and think powerstancing might be good for it.

The twist with the King was a bit... uh huh, ok what? I mean, I'm gonna keep doing what the nice lady says as it's a video game and I have no free will and all, but I'm kinda lost on what is supposedly driving the player character other than boredom and a lust for violence. The PC is going to forget themselves unless... something or something.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Serephina posted:

The PC is going to forget themselves unless... something or something.

Sounds like ludonarrative consonance to me

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
“You” went to Drangleic cause there’s a rumor a cure for hollowfication is there.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

MonsieurChoc posted:

“You” went to Drangleic cause there’s a rumor a cure for hollowfication is there.
"I" went to Drangleic because a fake bonfire told me to.

We are not the same.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
"I" went to Drangleic because a forlorn hollow couldn't stop complaining about it and I just knew it had to be good

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

I forgot why I went to…Drangleic? Anyway, Majula is chill, and there was something I was looking for, ’seek, seek, lest’ or something, but that’s not inportant now since we are all dead and hollow anyway, ha ha ha.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, same, but I definitely remember this one lady, uh, Lucretia? It'll come to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

axolotl farmer posted:

I forgot why I went to…Drangleic? Anyway, Majula is chill, and there was something I was looking for, ’seek, seek, lest’ or something, but that’s not inportant now since we are all dead and hollow anyway, ha ha ha.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Yeah, same, but I definitely remember this one lady, uh, Lucretia? It'll come to me.

e: except it's a punch