Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Kupka was unarmed

He was more empty-handed than unarmed if anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Disarmed also fits

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
Finished the game, loved it, felt like I was 13 years old again and playing FFVII for the first time.

Good game, and a better Final Fantasy, albeit one with clear flaws. Obvious DLC hooks, let's hope it sells enough to get them.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

theCalamity posted:

too bad Clive didn't do it himself

There's a weird disconnect about this after a while. The game does a fantastic job showing you why slavery sucks and Clive does get radicalized to fight for the cause. Cid and Clive send out Cursebreakers to target carriages transporting Bearers with the implication that they kill off the slavers and guards traveling along with the carriage. But I don't think we ever do see Clive be the one to kill a slave owner onscreen. It's always someone or something else that gets them. Yeah, you fight their soldiers all the time, but Clive never really deals with the lovely slavers personally.

It's why the sidequest with Dorys and her former slavemaster was so weird. That person was a human trafficker and raised Bearer kids to become her own personal assassins. I can understand Dorys not killing off her old master as a refutation of what she's been taught, but Clive not cutting her down on the spot in a "my sword is a tool of justice, but this isn't my sword" moment really took me out of it.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

The biggest failing of this game was having the perfect opportunity to have someone say "The planet's dyin', Clive!" and they didn't

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

amigolupus posted:

There's a weird disconnect about this after a while. The game does a fantastic job showing you why slavery sucks and Clive does get radicalized to fight for the cause. Cid and Clive send out Cursebreakers to target carriages transporting Bearers with the implication that they kill off the slavers and guards traveling along with the carriage. But I don't think we ever do see Clive be the one to kill a slave owner onscreen. It's always someone or something else that gets them. Yeah, you fight their soldiers all the time, but Clive never really deals with the lovely slavers personally.

It's why the sidequest with Dorys and her former slavemaster was so weird. That person was a human trafficker and raised Bearer kids to become her own personal assassins. I can understand Dorys not killing off her old master as a refutation of what she's been taught, but Clive not cutting her down on the spot in a "my sword is a tool of justice, but this isn't my sword" moment really took me out of it.

It would be extremely out of character for Clive to kill an unarmed woman in cold blood for any reason.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

amigolupus posted:

IIRC that quest ended with them going "we'll let the proper authorities deal with her; don't worry they hate her too" and it's like... you are Cid the Outlaw and the proper authorities are monsters. The idea that you shouldn't resort to "vigilantism" and instead turn her over to the cops (who will hang her for messing with imperial "property") is completely absurd.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
its much more humanitarian to let her be taken into the system, where she'll rot in a cell, be abused by the guards, then be hung and have her body get eaten by pigs.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

Sakurazuka posted:

It would be extremely out of character for Clive to kill an unarmed woman in cold blood for any reason.

Is it actually in cold blood, though? Wasn't she a slave owner?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

theCalamity posted:

Is it actually in cold blood, though? Wasn't she a slave owner?

Killing an unarmed and helpless prisoner is in fact cold blood.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

ITT: goons learn about warcrimes

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Clive massacres a fuckload of Black Shields, Ironborn, and Men of the Rock, all of whom rank pretty high in the monstrous slaver/genocidaire rankings. It's just unarmed opponents (except for Hugo, as mentioned) who he never draws steel on.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Was there no Biggs and Wedge? I thought the guards for Clive's first mission was them but it's not.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I definitely expected Tyler and Wade to be Biggs and Wedge. For a game with plenty of classic FF name references I was surprised not to see a Biggs and Wedge.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
where are my tonberries, yoshi-p. where are they. where are my loving tonberries you son of a bitch

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

where are my tonberries, yoshi-p. where are they. where are my loving tonberries you son of a bitch

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

ImpAtom posted:

Killing an unarmed and helpless prisoner is in fact cold blood.

When it comes to slave owners, it ain’t cold blood. gently caress em

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately
For someone as motivated by his upbringing and honor standards as Clive is - even after he's been a slave soldier he values the traditions of the Shields highly for example - I can buy his chivalric standards just don't allow him to kill people who aren't capable of battling him.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Mechafunkzilla posted:

he's Kiryu with long hair

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Oxxidation posted:

And cactuars!

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Cactuars at least get a mention. Some shop in the desert town is selling Cactuar spines. Or is claiming to.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

They should have made Dark Clive into a Tonberry instead, gradually creeping up on him with the power of grudges until he learns to accept himself.

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

I expected the Enterprise to become a *real* airship at some point near the end :/

Good game, ending was alright I guess but holy poo poo the highs of this game were incredible. Those titan and bahamut fights were incredible. Best original FF i've played since 7 I think (I missed a bunch of them since 7 except 9, 10 and 10-X2 lmao).

e: sorry 10-X2 wasn't original still lol that game

mst4k fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jul 4, 2023

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
They advertise Cactuar Needles in Dalimil on a sign. It makes it sound like Cactuar needles are used as an aphrodisiac lol

mst4k posted:

I expected the Enterprise to become a *real* airship at some point near the end :/

Sounds like Mid's still gonna be working on making it happen and guarding any secrets she invents from the world to prevent her technology from being used for war, like the Red Wings in IV turned out. At the end of the day, she's an inventor and an engineer but is in it for the discovery, but doesn't want it to be used for more war. But yeah, I bring this up because I figure this is a thread that could be added onto with a sequel or DLC.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Mid’s engines use magitek though, don’t they? So presumably they won’t still work now that Clive has removed magic from the world.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

Bugblatter posted:

Mid’s engines use magitek though, don’t they? So presumably they won’t still work now that Clive has removed magic from the world.

Magitek just uses aether, doesn't it? Removing crystal magic doesn't necessarily remove the laws of nature that it exploits? If all aether was removed from the world then the world itself would die.

That said, her engines sound like they just exploit the material properties of mythril to make a pretty mundane steam engine?

Jetrauben fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jul 5, 2023

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
yeah I think they’re just mythril burning engines with a ton of specialized ablative kit to prevent them from exploding or setting the ship on fire from the required heat output

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Yeah she discovered the secrets of mythril cooking.

Super Inactive
Dec 30, 2022
I beat the game several hours ago. My opinion is thus:

quote:

...it's been a gripping tale. Unbreakable bonds and noble sacrifice, sprinkled with moments of levity to counterbalance the pathos. It's got it all.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Super Inactive posted:

Hey now, Byron and Gav added plenty of levity!

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Super Inactive posted:

There's like three comedy relief characters and a ton of goofy side quests I would argue there's levity.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

I just finished the game. I left tons of side quests and hunts unfinished, so I’m sure I missed some good content, but that will have to wait for ng+ some time in the future. Overall I really like the game. I think some posters did a really good job of criticizing the problems with the story, particularly that Barnabas/Ultima are a lot less interesting than the conflicts that drove the story in the beginning even if they are continuations of the same theme. Final Fantasy Tactics pulled off the switch from political intrigue to kill God to save the world much better, in my opinion. I did really enjoy slow motion punching God in the face for 999,999 damage, though.

I liked the ending, though I wouldn’t have thought Clive’s death is ambiguous if I hadn’t read some people here suggesting it. I think it fits as part of the themes that you don’t get everything you want, people are imperfect, death is a part of life but there’s always hope for a brighter future if we work together and stick to our ideals. I guess one of the brothers had to survive to write the book though.

Overall my biggest complaint about the game, other than weak RPG elements, is the characters. Clive’s VA did an outstanding job, and overall Clive was a great character, but the game suffered for making him the center of everything. He needed to have more moments of weakness and opening up between Cid’s death and absorbing Shiva from Jill. Jill really, really needed more interaction with Clive and everybody else. There were a few moments where she was a good foil to Clive, but mostly the game seemed too concerned with making Clive seem cool to let Jill have any space. Clive getting punched by Joshua was a great moment, but Joshua also needed a little more incidental interaction with the world beyond just Clive to be his own, independent character. Clive does have moments when he’s not a brooding hero, but he needed more, particularly more moments where he’s awkward or makes mistakes or has doubts (and not just cliche “what if I’m a monster” doubts)and others need to step in.,

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Just a PSA that you can gently caress yourself going to NG+ on a save where you didn't do all the side stuff because you won't have the duplicate accessories you need to upgrade them

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Yeah, strongly recommended that you just quickly craft and purchase one of each sword before running into NG+. You'll probably have plenty of money to do so. If you don't, crafting the swords you're expected to have for each dungeon is likely to be a little more of a hassle. Also, crafting the ultimate sword will be impossible if you don't.

The game really isn't nice to people who just want to have the character action game experience.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Oh well that sucks. I guess I have to finish off side quests and do the end of the game again first. At least I made a save right before going to Origin and didn’t overwrite it with my postgame save.

I do at least have all the swords except gotterdammerung. I crafted them just to see what they look like.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Oh well that sucks. I guess I have to finish off side quests and do the end of the game again first. At least I made a save right before going to Origin and didn’t overwrite it with my postgame save.

I do at least have all the swords except gotterdammerung. I crafted them just to see what they look like.

Gotterdammerung has some fun fights to earn it at least. If you have the other swords that's the only thing you need to do before going into NG+.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

You missed a lot of the quiet and introspective Clive moments if you skipped a lot of sidequests.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

Ibblebibble posted:

You missed a lot of the quiet and introspective Clive moments if you skipped a lot of sidequests.

Yeah, I did a good number of side quests before the end, but I’m leaving on a month long trip tomorrow and won’t have time to play, so I rushed to finish the game. There were good moments, but it seems like lots of the good character moments are mostly in the ending side quests, like Joshua’s or Torgal’s last quest. I’m sure I missed some more, but I only started skipping quests just a little before the 6th Eikon, so even if I missed a lot of good character moments for Clive, there are large stretches of the story where his lack of interaction with Jill, particularly, but also with other characters too, doesn’t let his personality fully come across.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

The biggest crime of the ending sequence is that they force you to leave Torgal behind for the final showdown with Ultima instead of powering him up again to have Fenris save the day :mad:

but at least they didn't kill the dog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
For like 3/4 of the story I thought they were going to kill Gav because he seemed like the exact balance of endearing yet not too important. But by the end it was clear that he was too important to kill.