Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

This is the thread for Final Fantasy XVI spoiler chat only.

This means there won't be spoiler bars for FFXVI. Try to be polite and not spoil other stuff without marking it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Spoiler alert:

Torgal is a good boy

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Spoiler alert:

Torgal is a good boy

I don't have the game, but does Torgal start as a puppy?

THat adorable rear end puppy?
look at that lil monster

I bet he just howls all day when you leave him alone

blight rhino fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jun 22, 2023

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

yes in the prologue where clive is a teenager, torgal is that tiny fluff monster

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I accidentally spoiled myself on a future Eikon you get later in the game and I got legit upset. Not at being spoiled, but what the Eikon is.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Gologle posted:

I accidentally spoiled myself on a future Eikon you get later in the game and I got legit upset. Not at being spoiled, but what the Eikon is.

Not only did I do this but I spoiled myself on its lameass ability.
Don't do this it's better to see this blind!

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
On the subject of Mother Crystals, the Archive as it updates will eventually mention that of the 8 originally planted, only 5 remain by the time of the game. Assuming of course that the northern tribes crystal was Shiva's that leaves where for Ramuh and Garuda? One of them had Twinside presumably, but I think that still leaves one short.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Caidin posted:

On the subject of Mother Crystals, the Archive as it updates will eventually mention that of the 8 originally planted, only 5 remain by the time of the game. Assuming of course that the northern tribes crystal was Shiva's that leaves where for Ramuh and Garuda? One of them had Twinside presumably, but I think that still leaves one short.

I don't think the Mother Crystals are inherently tied to any of the summons. They do seem to be elemental (Drake's Spine looks a lot more Lightningy than Drake's Tail for example) but if they were Drake's Tail would be more likely to be associated with Leviathan who isn't around anymore.

But it doesn't seem like a MC's destruction goes hand-in-hand with the summon being lost. The Eikons are apparently fragments of Ultima Collective's power whereas the Mothercrystals are just big ol' Aether Sponges.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jun 27, 2023

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

What's the deal with the ultima race door that never opens in the blighted area in northern rosaria anyway. Does it do something in NG+, or another potential DLC hook?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

No Mods No Masters posted:

What's the deal with the ultima race door that never opens in the blighted area in northern rosaria anyway. Does it do something in NG+, or another potential DLC hook?

I think it's just a fallen ruin thing for flavor.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I just killed Barnabas' stupid rear end, how close am I to the end?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Pretty close, maybe another like 4 hours of main story? Though if you're doing sidequests and hunts a huge amount get dumped on you right before the point of no return

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Oh cool, that's more than I thought. Thanks!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah you have one more dungeon, then sidequest roundup and the final boss

AnEndcat
Mar 21, 2013

Caidin posted:

Southern Ash (Drake's Horn); I think it comes up in one of the level up lore rewards.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
In retrospect it's a little weird that they act like a mothercrystal going boom is totally unheard of in the first act of the game but historically two fell apart of 'natural causes'.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I guess my criticism is, why didn't joshua and his large order of spies do anything about clive having to be a child soldier slave for 13 years. And why didn't clive ever ask about that. Honestly why was joshua being a mystery box guy to clive before bahamut in general and why did he stop then, there didn't seem to be any real point to it

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Captain Oblivious posted:

In retrospect it's a little weird that they act like a mothercrystal going boom is totally unheard of in the first act of the game but historically two fell apart of 'natural causes'.

I mean the way we get upset about a building collapsing because that’s just what happens when they’re old or poorly built or an earthquake or whatever is different from the way we get upset when 9/11 happens

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

I mean the way we get upset about a building collapsing because that’s just what happens when they’re old or poorly built or an earthquake or whatever is different from the way we get upset when 9/11 happens

The problem there is you have people acting like it’s revelatory that they can cease to be at all. Why would they behave that way if this has happened twice already?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

To use a metaphor: we know volcanos erupt sometimes but when the volcano next to your town erupts it's still fairly upsetting

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I would take it more as it being revelatory that we can go make the volcano erupt whenever we want

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I also don't really understand why ultima would permanently destroy one of the eikons. I mean I guess the answer could be he's a big spiteful dumbass but it's a bit bizarre he would do that considering his plan, and it seems like that might well be the reason clive couldn't actually be ultima's vessel in the end

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I also don't really understand why ultima would permanently destroy one of the eikons. I mean I guess the answer could be he's a big spiteful dumbass but it's a bit bizarre he would do that considering his plan, and it seems like that might well be the reason clive couldn't actually be ultima's vessel in the end

I don't think he had a choice. It sounds like Leviathan got hopped up on Mothercrystal and went bye bye

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I guess my criticism is, why didn't joshua and his large order of spies do anything about clive having to be a child soldier slave for 13 years. And why didn't clive ever ask about that. Honestly why was joshua being a mystery box guy to clive before bahamut in general and why did he stop then, there didn't seem to be any real point to it

Early on he was recovering from almost dying. After that he found out about Ultima and basically was trying to avoid drawing attention to himself. (He also likely didn't know Clive was alive for a while, the Undying were surprised by it when Joshua told then)

Afterwards he had an Ultima in his chest and was busy trying to deal with that until he (mistakenly) thought his hold on Ultima had already slipped.

Joshua thought for up until five minutes before he died that Ultima was a singular being trying to escape captivity, not that it was a collective and he happened to be holding one of them.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

I don't think he had a choice. It sounds like Leviathan got hopped up on Mothercrystal and went bye bye

I don't know if you've read them but there are a few lore entries that unlock after the end of the game that are a bit interesting. One of them is for the fall of dzmekys and it doesn't sound like that's what happened to me

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I don't know if you've read them but there are a few lore entries that unlock after the end of the game that are a bit interesting. One of them is for the fall of dzmekys and it doesn't sound like that's what happened to me

I did!

... that said, looking back through, I actually noticed something interesting. They adjusted some of the Lore from the pre-release.

In particular I notice that they completely changed the wording for Egis, which stood out to me because it originally mentioned Ultima long before he appeared. (Because it mentioned that it seemed Ultima too could create Egis.) I wonder if that was just to remove the spoiler or for some other reasons, since it's odd that it is gone entirely now.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jun 27, 2023

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

(FF14 spoilers) It's funny how similar leviathan being destroyed vis a vis ultima is to the 13th being hosed up by the ascians. In both cases they potentially ruin their own plans and just kinda shrug and say well nevertheless and assume ~90% will be good enough

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The problem there is you have people acting like it’s revelatory that they can cease to be at all. Why would they behave that way if this has happened twice already?

They actually do explain this in the lore.

There were three destroyed Mothercrystals: The one that left the big hole (act of God) and the Eye and Horn. In the case of both of the Eye and Horn they didn't so much explode as as the Blight encroached they eventually lost power and then died out completely. So it's a bit different from "Someone can also just blow up a Mothercrystal."

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

They actually do explain this in the lore.

There were three destroyed Mothercrystals: The one that left the big hole (act of God) and the Eye and Horn. In the case of both of the Eye and Horn they didn't so much explode as as the Blight encroached they eventually lost power and then died out completely. So it's a bit different from "Someone can also just blow up a Mothercrystal."

Fair enough. You would think that would provoke a bit more of an existential crisis but on the other hand, climate change metaphors and sleep walking towards disaster and all that so, yeah. Fair.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fair enough. You would think that would provoke a bit more of an existential crisis but on the other hand, climate change metaphors and sleep walking towards disaster and all that so, yeah. Fair.

Yeah sadly that's pretty much just Climate Change In A Nutshell.

Speaking of which, I gotta ask now that people have finished the game:
Clive - Alive or Dead?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I lean towards alive, the heavy foreshadowing in the jill date sidequest would be a bit uncharacteristically gratuitously stabbing in the tragedy knife if he died I think. I also don't really buy that the red star fading would mean "lol I can't grant your wish, seeya" though jill does seem to react like that's a possibility.

It's probably a better story if he dies though, I think the game somewhat suffers from odin and ultima mostly not even really trying to kill him so it balances it out a bit by giving the events some stakes

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I lean towards alive, the heavy foreshadowing in the jill date sidequest would be a bit uncharacteristically gratuitously stabbing in the tragedy knife if he died I think. I also don't really buy that the red star fading would mean "lol I can't grant your wish, seeya" though jill does seem to react like that's a possibility.

It's probably a better story if he dies though, I think the game somewhat suffers from odin and ultima mostly not even really trying to kill him so it balances it out a bit by giving the events some stakes

I mostly lean towards death because 'and this is where our story ends' followed by the kid part reads to me as 'and here is Clive reborn with a chance at a happy life'

Jill's sidequest with all the dawn imagery and stuff was so blunt however I actually assumed getting the handkerchief would unlock an alt ending.

It'd be kind of lame to have him survive and not confirm it

I *do* assumr his last act healing Joshua brought him back to life so he could write the book

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I've seen people bring up Clive's opening and closing narration (the journey beginning and ending) being a sign pointing to him being the one to write the Final Fantasy book, not Joshua, just writing under Joshua's name the same way he kept operating under Cid's name. That, along with Harpocrates's note to Clive that he should write a book when this is all over.

I'm kind of torn on my own reading. On the one hand, I feel like what we're shown on-screen is a pretty clear death scene. On the other, thematically it doesn't really line up, and combined with all the foreshadowing before it, it kind of seems inappropriate for Clive to die. That, and it's just an intolerable bummer if he spends a huge portion of the game learning that his own life is worth something, only to never get to actually live it.

Really though I find the ending pretty frustrating. I think it leaves too much up in the air. I'm fine with some ambiguity, but there's so much left ambiguous here that it feels like they might as well have just done Blue's ending from SaGa Frontier, where it just freeze-frames during the final boss fight and then cuts to credits.

For the most part I really liked the game's story, but the ending was just really unsatisfying to me because it left so many of its basic events unclear.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I feel like with Vivian's whole 'the truth of history is what is believed' thing that could be the point. The truth is what the viewer decides. Not sure it fits for this story though but I guess they gotta keep up the streak of killing or seeming to kill off the protagonists at the end of a FF. Even 12 has Balthier.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Though I guess to be fair FF7 had a similarly ambiguous ending.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

True, though 12 also makes it abundantly clear that Balthier and Fran survived by the time the credits roll. Here, it's just... completely up in the air, in a way I find unsatisfying.

I think you're probably right that they're trying to go for a Matsuno-like ambiguity of history thing like Ramza's implied survival at the end of Final Fantasy Tactics, though I think it was executed better there.

It's this weird situation where what we're shown on screen seems pretty clear, but it's so dissonant with the foreshadowing and themes up to that point that it feels like he must have survived or what was all that setup for

ImpAtom posted:

Though I guess to be fair FF7 had a similarly ambiguous ending.

Lol yeah I remember being really bothered by that when I was a kid

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Dion/Bahamut: I have escaped to the only place uncorrupted by feudalism!

SPACE!

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
I'm in team Clive's alive. Ultima's spell was raise and Metia goes dark as Clive 'dies'. Him saying this is how the story ends is how you would end the mythology book.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Finished the game loved punching Ultima in the damned face

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

hatty posted:

Finished the game loved punching Ultima in the damned face

I am honestly surprised I don't hear more about the Slow Motion 999999 Damage Punch.