Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

tarlibone posted:

Today, in my day off, I shall see just how many trees are down along the bike trail. We had some bad storms over the weekend.
Sounds like the perfect day for some bunny hop practice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

Crumps Brother posted:

Sounds like the perfect day for some bunny hop practice.

You're not wrong. Thankfully, it was just little bits of debris to avoid and hop over. Small stuff, but man was there a lot of it, especially where they'd drug trees away. The transit authority (who maintains the trails) will be out later to sweep them off, I'm sure.

It was a great ride. Not super-hot, but incredibly muggy, so I went through a lot of water. About a mile or two off the end of the main trail, there's a place called Bike Surgeon, and they have a little cafe. I'd been meaning to try it, but it's the southernmost point on the trail system, so it's not "on the way" to anything. I'll definitely be going back.

After 43-44 miles, I felt like a million bucks. I'm ready for Sunday's 51-mile ride. I hope. They're predicting thunderstorms, but there's plenty of time for that forecast to change.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe
Oh crap--I almost forgot. A quick Bikes Are Neat story.

When I got home, I got busy taking my bike off the rack, and the garbage man ran up to me to tell me something. His main message was that the telecom and power lines near my house were hanging very low, and his truck's garbage grabber arm thing got caught up in the lower line (which is telecom) for several minutes. He didn't know who the authority in the area was for that, so he was just reporting it to me. (They're hanging low due to damage to a couple of poles caused by my neighbor's tree partially coming down on top of the lines during the recent storms. The poles are bent, but they didn't break or drop the lines, amazingly.)

Then he asked how far I rode today, and where I went. It took me a second to register that, because I wasn't expecting it. I answered him, and he said that's longer than he rides--his longest ride was from Chain of Rocks to the Gateway Arch, with a detour to get around a homeless encampment that had taken up residence on one stretch of the trail. We talked about cycling for a few minutes, and then he took off to get the rest of the trash on the street.

Honestly, I talked to quite a few people today, especially on the trailhead and for the first mile or so of the ride. I haven't felt this accepted by any community since I started playing bass back in the late 80s/early 90s.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

i am now a big dummy

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Welcome to cargo bike land! :cheers:

Protip: get some cheap lashing straps at your hardware store. Anything over 150 pound working limit is overkill. Also those black totes with the yellow lids have holes to make tying them down a breeze.

mexecan
Jul 10, 2006
Anyone with good intel on riding around Boise, Idaho? I’m there for a week later in July and am considering bringing my gravel bike. It’s a work trip but would be good to find some good riding.

Strava has some suggested loops but I’m reluctant to rely upon it given how little I know about the area. Or if the riding is terrible and I shouldn’t bother I’d wanna know that too.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
Race report
Sunday was my second race ever, a 105km loop in the pyrenees that involved climbing the Tourmalet.
We were 1000 registered and 500 at the start for my distance, the 500 other started 1 hour earlier and were going for 170 to 200km.
The begining was odd, there was a big peloton that kept dividing into smaller groups and since I started at the back there was a lot of bullwhip effect, lot of power surges were needed to keep up and I didn't like that at all.
I tried to get past people to catch the fast half and not get dropped with the slow half of the peloton but it wasn't easy and was very tiring. After a while I gave up and kept sucking wheels to reover.
This went on for about 40 kilometers of flat-ish terrain.

Then the big climb started: 18km of non stop climbing at 7.2% average gradient average, 1400m of elevation.
To my surprise I discovered I was a pretty decent climber, I kept to 200 watts for the whole thing and I was consistently overtaking people untill the top. This took a bit more than an hour and a half and thankfully there were food and drink available at the top.
It is a mountain in the middle of nowhere so I didn't expect the place to be so crowded. There were RV parked everythere, a lot of them overtook us while we were climbing and it is not a fun experience to get squeezed on the side of a mountain road by such monsters that then gas you with diesel fumes. We figured they were pensioners taking their spots to watch the tour de france passing trough there next thursday. Parking must be at a premium for them to come 5 days before the race.

Anyway after eating a couple sandwich, filling the bottle and recovering a bit it was time to descent on the other side of the mountain, again 18kilometers and 1400m of elevation, the view was less nice from this side but it was a lot less tiring. I don't like mountain descents and it shows since my top speed was less than what I reach on my locals hills.
Then after a bit of flat terrain came the big decision point : turn left and go for another climb of the Tourmalet or keep straight to the finish line. It was a race that let riders decide what distance they wanted to go for untill the last moment, pretty cool since you can judge based on your fatigue level.
So I turned left and went on to climb those 18km again, this time from the less than nice side.
It turns out this was not such an enjoyable experience on the second go. Fatigue was here, left knee and foot were aching, I ran out of food and there were still those bloody RV everywhere. Luckily I met some nice people and chatted a bit on the way up, this helped a lot as we motivated eachothers.
There was a family from Canada that was riding the Pyrenees coast to coast over two weeks, 3 generations of cyclist including the 77 years old grandad who was riding with them. I hope I can stay as fit at this age.
I struggled to the top and I felt I had reached my limit. Had a well deserved break, ate a lot of bananas and sandwich then went back down again and back to the start of the race.
After the long descent I was alone for a while which was a bit demotivating and I waited for people to catch me so we could ride back together. I ended up being overtaken by a fast group from a longer race and suffered to keep up with them and barely managed to do so untill the end. At least they did keep a consistent effort through the rolling terrain so it was less tiring than the surges from the start of the race.

All in all 135km and 3300m of climbing. 1000 meters more climbing than the most I had ever done and a well deserved eleven hour sleep afterward. A pretty good experience but don't go on a tour de france route the week before the race.
Also need to get better at the start of race because this was the less fun part, feels like wasting time being slowed down but also being tiring because of power surges.

Also got a free jersey, pretty good deal to get race support and a jersey for 50€.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

tarlibone posted:

Honestly, I talked to quite a few people today, especially on the trailhead and for the first mile or so of the ride. I haven't felt this accepted by any community since I started playing bass back in the late 80s/early 90s.

One of the things I like the most about cycling is how friendly everyone is and how you see the same people over and over while you're out riding.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Gonna celebrate this stupid holiday by riding my bike

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe
The rear fender on my wife's Mendocino was rattly, off-center, and overall just annoying. I noticed the other day that one of the two screws holding the fender support to the back of the fender (there's a little bracket thing there) was missing, so I figured, that must be it. So, yesterday, I rode 21 miles to a bike shop so I could get a screw and a few valve stem covers for my Presta valves, since a couple of them broke. This evening, I figured, that's got to be easy to fix--just put in the screw.

That's when I noticed the screw that holds the middle of the fender to the frame. It was about to fall out, and it can't be easily accessed without removing the wheel. But, I was able to get at it with a long Phillips head screwdriver after totally deflating the tire. I got it as tight as I dared, lest I strip out the head. It's pretty tight. I got the one at the other end, down by the crank, for good measure.

Oh... that bike store I went to has a cafe, which is cool. Also, the mechanic there told me he'd just give me as many valve caps as I wanted, because they don't run them. He said they're only used to keep the valve from poking the tube when it's rolled up. Now... I personally like them because a capped valve, I don't know, looks right. Do people not ride with these caps? Even screwed down, the ends of Presta valves just seem so delicate and easy to mess up.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I have recently converted to capless life, imo it looks better if you have threaded metal valves but worse if you have black plastic ones

Related: I recently picked up 8 of the vaunted ridenow TPU tubes and one of them has a factory fitted leak, the area where the valve stem base meets the rest of the tube isn't quite fully bonded together and separates under pressure. Also for some reason the bigger gravel size ones have valves the color of a semen sample instead of black, it looks terrible but I've got them now so I'll run them I guess.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jul 5, 2023

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

today "uh you gotta be making GBS threads me": a sidewall puncture right by the bead.

At least I have a spare tube and tire laying around, but uuuuugh

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Celebrated July 4th with a ride up Loveland Pass. Last time until the triple bypass in two weeks.

:toot:

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

Platystemon posted:

I have come to possess a mountain bike with perhaps the worst hydraulically actuated brakes known to mankind, Hayes So1e.

What should I replace them with?

Rotors are 180 mm/160 mm front/rear and condition is fine. Upsizing the rear rotor might be problematic with frame clearance.

Post mount in front. IS in back.

Shimano MT200

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Too late.

I already ordered MT520 front/MT500 rear, MT501 levers on both.

:homebrew:

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Jul 5, 2023

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Residency Evil posted:

Celebrated July 4th with a ride up Loveland Pass. Last time until the triple bypass in two weeks.

:toot:

I was about to wish you best of luck on your surgery

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

actionjackson posted:

I was about to wish you best of luck on your surgery

My first thought was "how does he know about that?"

And then I realized you were talking about me, getting surgery, a triple bypass.

God I hope not.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
My career: triple bypass
My hobby: Triple Bypass

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Put gp5k trs on my road bike and these things are quick! Thought I got a KOM because my Garmin said I did but I guess I need to do it 2 seconds faster to take it

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

kimbo305 posted:

My career: triple bypass
My hobby: Triple Bypass

Residency Evil posted:

God I hope not.

Llyr
Mar 24, 2010

Music is the best
What's with the range of tire sizes you can get for your rims? Is it personal preference?
According to most charts: with my 18mm rims I can go between 25 - 50mm. The tires that came with my bike are 37-622. I want to get new tires but my local stores mostly only carry up to 700-32c.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

Put gp5k trs on my road bike and these things are quick! Thought I got a KOM because my Garmin said I did but I guess I need to do it 2 seconds faster to take it

The curse of live segments and rounding

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Llyr posted:

What's with the range of tire sizes you can get for your rims? Is it personal preference?
According to most charts: with my 18mm rims I can go between 25 - 50mm. The tires that came with my bike are 37-622. I want to get new tires but my local stores mostly only carry up to 700-32c.

Personal preference and frame clearance. Local shops should definitely be carrying stuff in the 35-40mm range, something like a Panaracer Gravelking is super common.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

The curse of live segments and rounding
Sometimes it rounds in your favor as well. Get a few computers to record a ride concurrently and you can pick and choose your favorite version!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

numberoneposter posted:

i am now a big dummy

Yessss. Time to haul all the loving things/humans.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe
I deflated my front tire today to measure the inner rim width, the one thing I can't find online that I need to properly use the tire pressure calculator everyone links to.

And... it's 21.95 mm! Or thereabouts. I took several measurements with my caliper's inside jaws, and I never got a reading below 21.93 or so.

That's bigger than I was expecting. I used an old Reddit post to do some 17.X or whatever inner diameter. Now, the calculator is saying I should be using about 60 PSI, which, well, isn't far off. Maybe I'll try dropping it a little.

Also, that's the first time I've taken a tire off the rim (well, not all the way off) since I was a kid. Holy crap, do those things bond. I was starting to wonder if my LBS had set me up for tubeless, since the wheels are tubeless-ready.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I originally wanted my Peugeot to be a gravel bike, but kind of did not work out. Now it is a touring bike instead.

Well, I realized I still have my 10 year old Cube MTB. It is heavy as gently caress, but who's preventing me from installing some >gravel tyres on it and trying it out?

It was on winter setup. Tyres: hosed:

Found a shortened rear fender from my stash, hadn't installed it back in the day. Dunno why I had shortened it, well maybe it didn't fit due to short chainstay? Well whatever, better than nothing!

The Jones H-bar. They claim it' suitable for gravel too, so who knows! I guess I need to get rid of that steerer tube extension and look for a different stem, and lower my bars a bit.

This saddle is temporary. It came with my Peugeot, and it busted my rear end during a 20+20km ride yesterday and today. My butt has never hurt so much after bicycling, incredible painmaker:

I ordered a suntour ncx-sp12 spring seatpost, 40-622 conti terra speeds, brooks c19 saddle. We'll see what happens.

It would be possible to get a ~500mm Axle to crown fork and save some weight, especially if I forked out for a carbon fork... :shepspends:

The frame has mounts for a rarck in rear triangle, and a solid fork would allow for a front rack like tubus tara.. so I could turn this to a heavy bikepacking bike too!

The possibilities are endless, the weight is limitless.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Crumps Brother posted:

Sometimes it rounds in your favor as well. Get a few computers to record a ride concurrently and you can pick and choose your favorite version!

Probably ideal to use Strava for iOS if you're gonna game it

Vinz Clortho
Jul 19, 2004

Residency Evil posted:

My first thought was "how does he know about that?"

And then I realized you were talking about me, getting surgery, a triple bypass.

God I hope not.

I thought that was a bit ambitious given your impending heart surgery.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Very small and pathetic cycling accomplishment: did a well known climb here in Santa Monica for the first time (Mandeville Canyon). It’s about 5 miles and a thousand feet of climbing at a fairly consistent grade (tho the very end is like 8.5% which sucks).

Then I went and did some other stuff and ended up at 26.24 mi and 1921 feet of climbing in 1:54, which is the second most climbing I’ve ever done, and certainly the most this year.

Now I’m going to watch the Tour de France recap and wonder how the gently caress they do that.

Awkward Davies fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jul 6, 2023

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

evil_bunnY posted:

Yessss. Time to haul all the loving things/humans.
Trying to get it setup for baby hauling to daycare duty as it's primary mission. It's all old Xtracycle stuff and adapters to baby seats don't readily exist anymore so I may have to get a bit crafty or phone around some of the second hand bike shops.

The drive train is a 3x8 and is kinda poo poo but it works. Brakes are hydro shimano and work really well. Going to raid some parts bins to get the components I like. This bike build is definitely going to be on a budget.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe
I've got a little bit of a creek/click on my road bike coming from the handlebars, I think. I can't get it to make the noise unless I'm riding and I pull or push really hard on the bars, or if I death-grip them and go over some bumps. Relaxing my grip fixes the problem, but I can't do that very well while climbing. It's not making a ton of noise, but just a little click here and there at the moment of increased force. And, I'm not getting any unwanted movement or play in the handlebars. (Also, the handlebars are aluminum, not carbon.)

I'm thinking the stem clamp bolts (and probably the clamp) should be removed, cleaned, and re-torqued. I should be able to handle that after this coming Sunday. I'm tempted to do it before then, but I don't want to take something apart that's working fine before I need it to work for over 50 miles. Also, I don't have a torque wrench that I trust, and I don't know what 6 N-m feels like.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

woooooo it's here!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

actionjackson posted:

woooooo it's here!

That's a pretty af bike. Post that poo poo in the "show us your bike" thread so we stop talking about riding no handed over there.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

numberoneposter posted:

Trying to get it setup for baby hauling to daycare duty as it's primary mission. It's all old Xtracycle stuff and adapters to baby seats don't readily exist anymore so I may have to get a bit crafty or phone around some of the second hand bike shops.

The drive train is a 3x8 and is kinda poo poo but it works. Brakes are hydro shimano and work really well. Going to raid some parts bins to get the components I like. This bike build is definitely going to be on a budget.
For the beginning of our kids' lives we just used an infant car seat without the base, Cargo strapped to the deck of my bike with 4 layers of closed cell foam in between. Worked a treat.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

My beefy baby is gonna be 1 year old this month and is pretty beefy.

I feel like DIY creative solutions are in the spirit of the cargo bike.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

At 1 year old a kid bike seat or putting them right in a trailer is fine IMO. Strapping a carseat to a bike or trailer is more necessary for like a 6mo.

e: ah I see what you mean, the kid seats don't mount to it. Seems like something you should be able to figure out with a drill and some nuts and bolts.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I made a riser out of wood and bolted a little cut-down Sunlite front rack on top. Then you can fit a rack-mounted kid's seat to it:

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

kimbo305 posted:

I made a riser out of wood and bolted a little cut-down Sunlite front rack on top. Then you can fit a rack-mounted kid's seat to it:

That looks exactly like what I was thinking of doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

numberoneposter posted:

That looks exactly like what I was thinking of doing.

I can report it wasn’t a problem for the year or so with a kid that got up to 35lbs.