Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

FlapYoJacks posted:

If we give the rich enough money, they will ??? and the climate will be saved!

They'll buy a new climate and let you subscribe to livable temperatures for a nominal monthly fee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Lmao, classic Peter "Calm" Kalmus

Peter "Remain" Kalmus

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7252150673301605675

Soggy Muffin
Jul 29, 2003

We should Midsommar all cars quite frankly

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
yeah i remember that from midsommar

E. Lol I typed this, left the window open for a while, and then hit reply. must post faster

Mola Yam has issued a correction as of 14:26 on Jul 5, 2023

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
hmm, think we might be boned

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
that looks bad

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
I mean its not great

xiaoren
Dec 9, 2021

We simply need to shift the mining, let the market handle it. As we all know, the issue just needs a lot of money

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Fun to see the phrase "limit warming to 2 degrees" become more and more prevalent, in news articles, op-eds, charts etc.

I wonder when we'll see the phrase "limit warming to 2.5 degrees" start to enter the literature and public consciousness. At 1.95C perhaps? Or will we recognise the hopelessness a little earlier than that and start taking about it at 1.8C, 1.7C?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

i'm not sure what that chart is trying to say. maybe i'm trying to read something into it i shouldn't

is it saying that those transition metals would replace all the fossil fuels...? by providing battery storage, solar power, etc.??

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Microplastics posted:

Fun to see the phrase "limit warming to 2 degrees" become more and more prevalent, in news articles, op-eds, charts etc.

I wonder when we'll see the phrase "limit warming to 2.5 degrees" start to enter the literature and public consciousness. At 1.95C perhaps? Or will we recognise the hopelessness a little earlier than that and start taking about it at 1.8C, 1.7C?

pointed this out to a coworker a while back, i got a "i think it's always been the goal to avoid 2ºC"

oh

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

i'm not sure what that chart is trying to say. maybe i'm trying to read something into it i shouldn't

is it saying that those transition metals would replace all the fossil fuels...? by providing battery storage, solar power, etc.??

that is how I am reading it. the transition metals needed to remove oil/coal/gas from the equation are not being mined in the quantities to meet the 2040 target

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

pointed this out to a coworker a while back, i got a "i think it's always been the goal to avoid 2ºC"

oh

it’s also always been a goal to avoid 2.5, 3, 3.5, 4, etc if you think about it

Cold on a Cob has issued a correction as of 13:34 on Jul 5, 2023

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Microplastics posted:

lmao that there will be no reflection on how the previous limit was 1.5 and that we blew right past it. The reporting is just going to be adding 0.5C every so many years

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

bedpan posted:

lmao that there will be no reflection on how the previous limit was 1.5 and that we blew right past it. The reporting is just going to be adding 0.5C every so many years

wrasslormonkey, we need a gif of a speeding car passing a construction worker holding a stop sign but the stop sign says "1.5C"

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
"We have always been at war with 1.5C"

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
As long as we don't go past 3.5 I'm sure we'll be alright

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Why would China do this to us

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

bedpan posted:

Greenhouse Gaslighting

There I invented the term for it

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

You didn't watch my video. It’s fine, we got this covered. Go out and enjoy your day as normal, citizen.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Microplastics posted:

Greenhouse Gaslighting

There I invented the term for it

new thread title

Jizzny Princess
Aug 24, 2021

WHILE YOU WERE LEARNING TO SPELL YOUR NAME,
I WAS BEING TRAINED TO CONQUER GALAXIES
UwU
https://twitter.com/ClimateBen/status/1676494386350137345

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
ive been waiting for the phrase "multiple breadbasket failure" to start making it into headlines

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
pfft just grow the crops inside, where it's cooler. do i have to think of everything??

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
Climate change could swamp this island. Home sales are surging.

quote:

SMITH ISLAND, Md. — Ten summers ago, Maryland offered to buy residents off this iconic bit of land in the Chesapeake Bay known for picturesque watermen’s villages, famous cakes and pyrotechnic sunsets. Hurricane Sandy had damaged homes and climate change models offered the direst of forecasts: Rising waters could virtually wipe it off the map.

The four-square-mile archipelago was held up as a national example of what global warming could eventually mean to many more people living in vulnerable areas, and a way governments may respond. One article called residents “candidates to become the first climate refugees of the contiguous United States.”

But Smith Islanders rejected leaving, instead organizing to get tens of millions in government funding for infrastructure upgrades and fortifications against the waves. And in recent years, something improbable has trailed in its wake: a real estate boom.

More homes have sold on Smith Island in the last three years than in the previous 11 combined, according to sales data. Locals see a story of hope. Their efforts to rescue a 400-year-old way of life tied to tide and season are beginning to bear fruit. Many question the doomsday predictions for the island or hope they can find a way to ride out rising waters.

Environmentalists see a dangerous kind of denialism. They say Smith Island’s long-term survival is doubtful, so the only rational path is retreat. They see the recent interest in the island as part of an unsettling national trend — studies show more Americans are moving into climate danger zones.

i'm all for making places more resilient to climate change but uh this island was down to 200 people and the govt spent millions to keep them there.

lol. lmao.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
i don't eat a lot of bread so I'll be fine

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

we're all going to be carb free, sweaty, and SEXY

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
worse than yesterday, but better than tomorrow

https://twitter.com/EliotJacobson/status/1676565154786607105?t=nsyB3XDq_7yyYLfwKAmiRg&s=19

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Cold on a Cob posted:

pfft just grow the crops inside, where it's cooler. do i have to think of everything??

I think we really need to explain to seeds and crops in general that 2 degrees of temperature rise in my house is barely noticeable and only weak liberals with ulterior motives would refuse to grow because of it.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

PFFFFF Nothing happened and the world didn’t end. Wrap it up 1.5C doomers. :smug:

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Hmm, about time to dim the sun, maybe even put it out for a week

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Jeez don't worry so much. We will have several years of "random" "unexpected" 25% crop failures to get us used to starving millions before the 50 and 75% events hit.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

gonna get those seed to sprout with a good old american "what are you, a pussy???"

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Crop failures can safely be blamed on president Hunter Biden in five years when you can no longer buy food

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

SorePotato posted:

Crop failures can safely be blamed on president Hunter Biden in five years when you can no longer buy food

and he’ll post videos throwing out cooked meals from the white house kitchen

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

Confusedslight posted:

As long as we don't go past 3.5 I'm sure we'll be alright

loch ness monster always asking for three-five-c

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Interstellar was a crappy movie that still has one of the best depictions of what a slow collapse is probably going to look like for rich western countries. Food is going to end up being a much bigger issue much sooner than a lot of people expect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I eagerly await the D&D posts complaining about doomers as the thwaites glacier slides fully into the ocean in 2030 2024