Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Theris posted:

Also DNC

maybe this is unique to how my brain works but dancer's optimization feels waaaay more annoying and difficult than most other jobs. it's probably right there with rdm/smn/mch if you aren't doing that but when i dipped into the next level optimization stuff (which i like to do) it seemed really tedious and weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

It's brown on brown on brown so it's a mess from a distance, but I like it.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Alder posted:

Yes, but I always thought Au ra scales were one of their main appealing traits along with having horns. For my au ra alt I always add more horns and scales too.

They should have more of them. Let women have the forehead lobster.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
My least favorite mod I've ever seen was one that didn't just remove the scales and horns from female au ra, but gave them elf ears.

C'mon, that's taking the longest, stupidest possible route around the problem of not knowing how to make elezen look good.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Cleretic posted:

My least favorite mod I've ever seen was one that didn't just remove the scales and horns from female au ra, but gave them elf ears.

C'mon, that's taking the longest, stupidest possible route around the problem of not knowing how to make elezen look good.

"Love FFXIV, but hate that the elves have distinct flavor and don't look like a cookie-cutter MMO? Have we got a solution for YOU"

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Failboattootoot posted:

Reaper is easier than rdm imo. Also mch.

I dunno, I can't stand Reaper. The play pattern is fine, but there's just too many buttons for my tastes.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
My main issue with Reaper is that I'm an idiot and keep forgetting to re-apply the "do more damage" buff. It's oddly like a DoT except not in that sense.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Antivehicular posted:

"Love FFXIV, but hate that the elves have distinct flavor and don't look like a cookie-cutter MMO? Have we got a solution for YOU"

People don't want elves to look "unique" or "visually distinct", they want them to look like normal people with pointy ears
See also: Catgirls.

lines posted:

My main issue with Reaper is that I'm an idiot and keep forgetting to re-apply the "do more damage" buff. It's oddly like a DoT except not in that sense.

Yeah, that always gets me as well. I'll be midway through a transformation burst and realize they don't have the debuff applied.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

it has an advantage over most (all?) actual dots in that they actually let you stack it

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

has anyone made a mod to make the miqote look like the cats from Cats (2019)

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.

the_steve posted:

Yeah, that always gets me as well. I'll be midway through a transformation burst and realize they don't have the debuff applied.

I think I would like it to have an element on the job gauge maybe? The issue I guess is that it's a debuff per enemy. But something like how DRK does its buff.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

lines posted:

I think I would like it to have an element on the job gauge maybe? The issue I guess is that it's a debuff per enemy. But something like how DRK does its buff.

My kneejerk gut idea was "have it refresh at the end of the 1-2-3 combo", but honestly, as simple as the class already is, I think I would almost feel insulted if they did do that. Same with removing the attack that applies the debuff and just putting it at the end of the combo.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

quiggy posted:

Yeah they called it Final Fantasy XI

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Finn 3:16 says I just licorice
whipped your peppermint ass

quiggy posted:

Close

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Beautiful, thank you

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

:stare:

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

:catstare:

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

rat

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Bat!

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
sphynx

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Me:
Sphynx Miqo'te isn't real. It can't hurt you.

Sphynx Miqo'te:

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Countblanc posted:

maybe this is unique to how my brain works but dancer's optimization feels waaaay more annoying and difficult than most other jobs. it's probably right there with rdm/smn/mch if you aren't doing that but when i dipped into the next level optimization stuff (which i like to do) it seemed really tedious and weird.

Nah, DNC takes way more brain power then MCH. Dealing with the procs and randomness and trying to optimize takes some effort, and MCH is basically don't overheat when drill <10s. Otherwise it's rote every single time.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jul 5, 2023

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I ran Syrcus Tower for the first time in months, and I remembered that Xande's attacks are all named after Sabin's blitzes for some reason. And I realized that this was probably the case of some poor confused translator looking at his model and saying "yes, this is Sabin from Final Fantasy 3."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

I ran Syrcus Tower for the first time in months, and I remembered that Xande's attacks are all named after Sabin's blitzes for some reason. And I realized that this was probably the case of some poor confused translator looking at his model and saying "yes, this is Sabin from Final Fantasy 3."

No, he just has Monk attack names even in Japan

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

What the gently caress.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Every day we stray further from Hydaelyn's Light.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

ImpAtom posted:

No, he just has Monk attack names even in Japan

Also "Aura Cannon" is his only Sabin move. Burning Rave was actually one of Zell's.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

I mean, to be fair, Amano had drawn Xande and Sabin like this.

(Sabin did get some redesign art from Amano that's more in line with the final game sprite, putting a shirt on and changing the pants to white.)

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

New meta dropped.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Saint Freak posted:

New meta dropped.

That's a lotta Iron Jaws

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Iron Jaws with only one DoT running has to be performance art

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

They hit Troubadour, they're in the top tiers of Bard players.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

my brother's portrait with the new gun.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
I also appreciate them barraging iron jaws.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

a pretty decent day o' fishin

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Steelion posted:

I also appreciate them barraging iron jaws.

Going by the time, they were really weighing their options. Stuck with ol' reliable though.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

It’s the single Bloodletter after already using Empyreal twice that does it for me

Lazer Viking
Jul 11, 2008

GBO
I feel so much better about my bard-ness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Part of me gets why some people have difficulty with Bard; the abilities don't obviously flow into each other like melee dps combos or some other jobs (Summoner comes to mind), the irregularity of procs can feel like it dominates more than it does, and just the sight of multiple timers can make some people panic even though they're all the same length so it's not "juggle these timers" it's "do these things at the same time". Still, for me it just works.

It's like Tanxiety; it hits some common psychological weakpoints hard, it's not nearly that big of a deal, but knowing that doesn't make it go away.