Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Rochallor posted:

You have to get through the first five movies of Phase I: Rum, before you get to Phase II: Sodomy.

Phase III: The Lash would do numbers, ngl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Orange Devil posted:

The Hornblower series owned.

Oh, yes. Inspired casting.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

PERPETUAL IDIOT posted:

Didn't read the article but isn't it weird how these countries become personified in this kind of reporting. It's not Canadian firms or Chinese individuals who own the farmland, it's "China" or "Canada".

the entire reason were supposed to be scaremongered about china but not canada is because were supposed to tacitly understand that canadian firms are free to do whatever they like but the chinese government very evilly wont allow its corporations to take up arms and overthrow the government like they can in any other country

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwFaSpca_3Q

Forgot how stupid/evil he is for a moment

lol that he literally says "we invaded iraq to prove we could invade other countries if we wanted to" right at the end

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

Some Guy TT posted:

the entire reason were supposed to be scaremongered about china but not canada is because were supposed to tacitly understand that canadian firms are free to do whatever they like but the chinese government very evilly wont allow its corporations to take up arms and overthrow the government like they can in any other country

yeah any canadian business is purely driven by the markets, no real difference from an american one or w/e, itll act as the market acts and how every other firm acts. and we can lever on the market to move things around. but if a chinese firm can do things against the will of the market its unpredictable and uncontrollable.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

GlassEye-Boy posted:

the Chinese just used giant gently caress off sails with roughly the same claimed fuel savings as the kite.

https://maritime-executive.com/article/china-delivers-first-vlcc-equipped-with-four-rigid-sails

https://youtu.be/t0OzcQslz4I
honestly kind of surprised these sails are as small as they are relative to the ship

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

SardonicTyrant posted:

So many riggers are going to die.

this dude gonna just get away with not 1 but 2 hard r's?

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

only white guys actually enunciate the full -er at the end of rigger

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Zeroisanumber posted:

I grew up reading those Horatio Hornblower books as a kid. I'm such a loving sucker for any media offering that "Wooden Ships and Iron Men" slop.

One Piece is technically in this genre, though I only make that comparison for the joke.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Okay. Almost peak times. Can they throw in some war mongering to deal the deal?

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
oppressed corporations are actually people therefore democracy

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Making health care contingent on corporate employment was so successful that now it'll be rights contingent on employment! Work will make you free.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
kia gave me an abortion

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Al! posted:

kia gave me an abortion

The 21st century version of Lord won't you buy me a Mercedes benz

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/NewYorker/status/1676384793360060422?t=E0iFOvB_D7uMPDNMIHDpfg&s=19

Eugenics, but woke

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
That's really old. I remember SA dunking on that photo years ago.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

okay you're right - I even posted about the first time

but what the gently caress why would they repost it???

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/NewYorker/status/1435073821267177473

https://twitter.com/NewYorker/status/1448506062030753796

what the gently caress is going on???

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Twitter loving up?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

6 months to the day, might be some automated repost for the most recent identical copy. the other ones with different wording speak to a dark obsession.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Orange Devil posted:

That's really old. I remember SA dunking on that photo years ago.

turn on your monitor

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

6 months to the day, might be some automated repost for the most recent identical copy. the other ones with different wording speak to a dark obsession.

does that happen with all their articles or just barefoot eugenics?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Clark Nova posted:

does that happen with all their articles or just barefoot eugenics?

are you accusing me of being a New Yorker follower?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

2021 @_@

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

are you accusing me of being a New Yorker follower?

oh god no, sorry, sorry. I can't view twitter at all aside from SA embeds any more

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

your typical new yorker reader is a rich lib who at the end of the day wants to believe that its something special who got them to where they are owning a successful dog catering business, and not the millions their families and various opportunities that were thrown at them

the typical new yorker subscriber just hoards unread issues until they can be taken to the dump

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Yeah weird that this bible quoting evangelical who put on a liberal persona to advance in academia turned out to be a head-measuring phrenologist who advocates a "third way" politics that involves education tracking based on genetic testing of kids

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Hey what's Kathryn Paige Harden has been up to since the publication of that old New Yorker piece, just for kicks, let's see how's she advancing the frontier of science these days

quote:

"There is a cultural assumption in the United States that if teens have sex early, it is somehow bad for their psychological health. But we actually found that teens who had sex earlier seem to have better relationships later. Now we want to find out why," she said.

In the next phase of this research, Harden plans to closely examine the contexts of early teen sexual activity, such as the types of relationships, the age of the partners, where the sex occurred and why, and how long, the relationships lasted.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/Healthday/story?id=4509435&page=1

oh

The Oldest Man has issued a correction as of 20:32 on Jul 5, 2023

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The Oldest Man posted:

Yeah weird that this bible quoting evangelical who put on a liberal persona to advance in academia turned out to be a head-measuring phrenologist who advocates a "third way" politics that involves education tracking based on genetic testing of kids

lol :911:

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1676687435600740353

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The Oldest Man posted:

Hey what's Kathryn Paige Harden has been up to since the publication of that old New Yorker piece, just for kicks, let's see how's she advancing the frontier of science these days

oh

Surprisingly, the research actually reveals that sleeping with old men leads to healthier and happier lives for teens

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

seems like a weird thing for a geneticist to investigate she's not a geneticist :ssh:

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Ytlaya posted:

Surprisingly, the research actually reveals that sleeping with old men leads to healthier and happier lives for teens

Taking the Emily Oster for-hire contrarian dipshit model and upping the ante from drinking during to pregnancy and not wearing a mask to eugenics and pedophilia

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

wasnt this the subject of freddie db's book, and didnt he come to the same conclusion

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

I think in general the nature/nurture debate is intractable and there’s so many different variables all the way from how environmental conditions impacted your grandparents right up to whether you found an eager mentor in middle school that it’s all just a mess that’s unproductive to really spend much time talking about/thinking about unless you, as an article of faith, really want to choose to believe some people are just genetically inferior

But otherwise it’s just not productive to spend time on it, there’s no control groups or experiment design that could tell us, and anyway there’s so much variation even among like siblings

So if you want to wax poetic that some people are genetically inferior I guess go for it but otherwise just work towards a more just and equitable society

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Ytlaya posted:

Our research has definitively concluded that being enslaved in Immortan Joe's breeding harem promotes quality of life along twelve different indices

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

HashtagGirlboss posted:

unless you, as an article of faith, really want to choose to believe some people are just genetically inferior
Absolutely. We did believe in "only nurture" for a couple (at least) of decades and then were very surprised when adopted children often turned out to share mannerisms, food preferences, and other characteristics with the bioparents they'd never known.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

what if we lived under an economic system where lower educational outcomes did not doom people to a life of miserable toil and strife