Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Seems weird not see comparisons to the preceding FF, which was also action-focused but took a different approach, as inevitable and understandable, and frankly interesting too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

fridge corn posted:

I'm not really sure I understand the point of comparing ff16 to ff7r but go off goons

They are videogames in the same franchise delivering action gameplay that carries the spirit of the franchise forward. The new games are releasing like six months apart. They are story driven prestige RPGs from Japan. Clive and Cloud. Cid is a deadbeat dad in both of them. Am I missing something?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah it makes sense to compare them. They're the two most recent major releases in the series and both have action combat, so it's inevitable their different approaches would be compared.

Though at the same time, trying to figure out which one is the future direction of the series is probably silly (even though I'm guilty of it, too) because the most likely answer is that neither of them will be. The rest of the FF7R trilogy will continue that gameplay style, obviously, but chances are whenever FF17 happens, it won't be like either 7R or 16.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rinkles posted:

Seems weird not see comparisons to the preceding FF, which was also action-focused but took a different approach, as inevitable and understandable, and frankly interesting too.

Sorry but everyone has agreed to pretend FFXV didn't exist when discussing FFXVI.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Comparing things is fun

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Sorry but everyone has agreed to pretend FFXV didn't exist when discussing FFXVI.

It is kind of weird how people just forget 15 existed when they complain about 16 being an action game, like it's the first time the mainline series has done that. I mean, poo poo, on launch FF15 also only let you control Noctis, just like you can only control Clive in 16. Sure, they added the ability to control the other three in the PC/Royal Edition but that wasn't until over a year after its initial release.

I can understand not liking it but it's just weird how people acted like this is the first time it's ever happened.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Harrow posted:

It is kind of weird how people just forget 15 existed when they complain about 16 being an action game, like it's the first time the mainline series has done that. I mean, poo poo, on launch FF15 also only let you control Noctis, just like you can only control Clive in 16. Sure, they added the ability to control the other three in the PC/Royal Edition but that wasn't until over a year after its initial release.

I can understand not liking it but it's just weird how people acted like this is the first time it's ever happened.

They were too busy complaining that the game is anti woman and no woman would play a game starring 4 hot guys talking about their feelings, so the action game complaint fell to the wayside.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I had strong emotions twice during XV and never during XVI, outside of whatever emotion it is when you go "awesome" at a big explosion or whatever.

I wonder if FFXVI hits differently when you have a sibling. Absolutely meaningless relationship to me.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I might be making this up, but iirc it was also a less big deal because XV was a re-badging of what was originally going to be more of a spin off project (versus xiii)

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
I'm starting Dragon's Dogma! I always end up defaulting to a standard sword/board class when I play fantasy games so in an effort to not be boring are either the strider or mage more fun?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Rinkles posted:

I might be making this up, but iirc it was also a less big deal because XV was a re-badging of what was originally going to be more of a spin off project (versus xiii)

Yeah that could be. People already got used to this action Final Fantasy project under its original name so when it changed to XV there was less whiplash maybe?

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Fifteen of Many posted:

I'm starting Dragon's Dogma! I always end up defaulting to a standard sword/board class when I play fantasy games so in an effort to not be boring are either the strider or mage more fun?

Strider's a lot of fun, focuses on quick hits and climbing and bow skills are varied and neat . Magick Archer should be the last vocation you try (I'm only saying this because every character I run inevitably becomes one because it's flashy and fun)

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

JBP posted:

They are videogames in the same franchise delivering action gameplay that carries the spirit of the franchise forward. The new games are releasing like six months apart. They are story driven prestige RPGs from Japan. Clive and Cloud. Cid is a deadbeat dad in both of them. Am I missing something?

Eh? Cid in 16 rescued a war orphan, raised her, and got her into the most prestigious university in the lands. How does that make him a deadbeat dad?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Because the alternate read is he packed the kid off to boarding school instead of taking care of her himself I guess

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Captain Oblivious posted:

I don’t think FFXVI is even trying to blend action game with traditional FF mechanics. FF7R absolutely is but FFXVI is just a pure character action game with a Final Fantasy aesthetic. It’s Clive May Cry. That’s not a bad thing, what holds it back is kinda chickening out on that very premise and failing to provide encounter design appropriate to the game it’s set out to be for fear of alienating people.

Makes for an ultimately kinda forgettable experience save for the Eikon fights.

I'm kinda feelin this too, really. I like the game, don't get me wrong, and I'd probably give it a solid 3 on the 3.5 point scale, but it does feel like there's a little uncertainty in the way everything is put together. The RPG mechanics are barely there at all, which would be fine with me if they'd had more faith in players to handle their actiony combat system. But most of the typical encounters can be mashed to death in seconds with little difficulty, and even the bosses are often more of a spectacle than they are a challenge. I guess because they didn't want usual RPG gamers to get stuck and feel frustrated? Whereas something like Devil May Cry understood that the combat was the main draw, and put some challenge into even the usual encounters at the base difficulty to keep players engaged. I think I'd be fine with either by itself, oddly enough -- put in some more RPG mechanics and interesting items and stuff to play around with, and I wouldn't care that the difficulty is so low because I get to experiment with different styles, or ramp up the difficulty and I'll focus on mastering it and not ever worry about the lack of items.

Game is too long for me to even think about starting another playthrough after this, but I'm curious to know whether it feels better to play on the higher difficulties that unlock after you beat the game.

(How far am I from the end, btw? I recently got the fifth Eikon and I just went to a town named Tabor.)

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

History Comes Inside! posted:

Because the alternate read is he packed the kid off to boarding school instead of taking care of her himself I guess

Paying an adopted kids way through expensive school doesn’t make you a deadbeat dad! He’s just a normal dead dad.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Fifteen of Many posted:

No matter how much you love that game you'll never love it more than Austin Walker

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Okay, yeah it makes sense to compare ff16 and ff7r, but I was thinking along the lines to lament the fact that one is not like the other. They are both different yet awesome in their own way games imo

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

Bugblatter posted:

Nah it’s pretty much dead on.

Nah pal

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Captain Oblivious posted:

I don’t think FFXVI is even trying to blend action game with traditional FF mechanics. FF7R absolutely is but FFXVI is just a pure character action game with a Final Fantasy aesthetic. It’s Clive May Cry. That’s not a bad thing, what holds it back is kinda chickening out on that very premise and failing to provide encounter design appropriate to the game it’s set out to be for fear of alienating people.

Makes for an ultimately kinda forgettable experience save for the Eikon fights.

I wish FFXVI had committed more in the character action direction, with finer attention paid to systems for players who truly wanted to master it. Clive has a DMC moveset but your enemies are stuck in MMO mode, meaning you can just mindlessly mash through almost every encounter. It's fine when you're playing a 10 hour campaign, but gets real old after 50.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Fifteen of Many posted:

I started with Strider and have jumped around after mastering it. Apparently that's a bad idea if you care about min maxing because your attribute growth is determined by your vocation, but from what I've heard it's not that big of a deal. I like the strider classes for their versatility (they're both ranged and close combat), but they're maybe a bit less skill testing than the pure melee classes (where you have to for instance worry about block timing).

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Look who's back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kl2JZZ1UgsI

PixelJunk Eden 2

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Oh wow, wave if nostalgia with just those first few bars.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I think FF16 would have been much improved if the difficulty could be notched one higher for the first playthrough - and there was an option to go a little harder on the combat rankings first play through.
I dont want to play it a second time, but I do want a bit more challenge with the regular enemies and I would get a lot out of being told my mixed use of skills and barely touching the ground was an SSS rank that time. As it is there's not much reward for playing better than the bare minimum beyond fights being over sooner.
It's the ONLY flaw I have against the game - made even more frustrating by knowing they designed it around making all this possible, just locked it behind a second playthrough/score attack mode. I very rarely if ever play games a second time, no matter how much I loved them, there's far too much good poo poo in my backlog already. If the second playthrough you could immediately do as a DMC style stage by stage run with no cutscenes, i'd actually be into that and i'd go straight in for a second pass/treat it like an arcade game. but you cant even do that! you have to play the entire story again to unlock that - so you're talking about hitting a third equivalent playthrough. it's extremely dumb.

In comparison, the combat in ff7r was a flawless execution of what it was going for imo - if you didnt engage with it like a puzzle and play to the systems as designed, it would kick the poo poo out of you, even on normal. if you leaned into how the game expected you to play, it was engaging, but not difficult - yet still rewarded and demanded using all the nuances of the combat system.

e: has anyone here started on the ng+ difficulty yet? i'm obviously making some assumptions here.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jul 5, 2023

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
VIIR has the best combat in the entire series.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

fridge corn posted:

I'm not really sure I understand the point of comparing ff16 to ff7r but go off goons

The point is to have something more interesting to read than this:

fridge corn posted:

They are both different yet awesome in their own way games imo

:dumb:

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

unattended spaghetti posted:

I'd have to mull this over to stake a real claim on it/make sure I'm not forgetting anything, but it might have the best combat of any game I've played.
At least all time top 3 for sure.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

acksplode posted:

The point is to have something more interesting to read than this:

:dumb:

How many more iterations of ff7r owns/ff16 is too easy do you need?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The main reason I prefer 7R is because it has characters I actually care about with a ton of depth. Combat-wise I think they both excel at what they’re going for even if 16 definitely could have done with more difficulty options from the beginning

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Mad

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

cubicle gangster posted:

I'd have to mull this over to stake a real claim on it/make sure I'm not forgetting anything, but it might have the best combat of any game I've played.
At least all time top 3 for sure.

Have you gone through on hard? That's on my list but there are too many games to play. Was just curious about it because I've heard a lot of differing opinions and am curious how it changes the game since it sounded like it was trying to be a genuinely distinct experience worth a run through.

If I do have a combat complaint with that game it's mostly that they have this genuinely unique, bizarre, cool as gently caress combat system and they do an awful job of explaining to players what's cool about it. I can't tell you how many people I explained the whole deal with character switching to and was met with, no exceptions, surprise followed by lightbulbs followed by joy.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's no FFX-2 but it comes close enough.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

exquisite tea posted:

It's no FFX-2 but it comes close enough.

Yeah, the dresssphere system was one of my favorite job system iterations.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Have you gone through on hard? That's on my list but there are too many games to play.

No, and for the same reason - after I finished it I played 2 chapters on hard. Found it thoroughly enjoyable, but put it down for a year or so to play other games and tried to go back. the level that hard demands you play at means you have to be at the top of your game with it - I got loving spanked for an hour straight and gave up trying to remember how to play it.

That's my biggest issues with ff16 locking hard behind ng+ - unless I go straight into it after the credits roll, I might as well not bother. So there's a good chance even though I love the game, I'm probably going to jump to bg3 or diablo4 or anything else in my backlog.

Ff7r just needed a tip that said 'always be switching characters'. It clicks once you realize it's not an optional system, and is 100% mandatory.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

cubicle gangster posted:

e: has anyone here started on the ng+ difficulty yet? i'm obviously making some assumptions here.

Yeah, I finished FF mode. It has the problems you assumed plus a few more.

As you guessed, being able to select missions for the arcade mode at the higher difficulties does require a second full playthrough. The post-fight score is only in the arcade mode as well, it’s still absent in NG+.

Also, FF mode doesn’t do quite as much as you might think based on the previews. It only remixes a few fights in each dungeon, and non-dungeon areas are completely unchanged. So even if you only do the main quest, most of it will be identical to NG, except easier since you have all the Eikons (enemies get level bumps, but not enough to keep up with your own power gain).

The remixed fights kind of hurt because when they are present they show how good the combat could have been with adequate encounter design. So long as you don’t just use the Vergil (Odin) move set too much. Because lol that move set just obliterates everything.

I played a few levels of the Ultimaniac mode too. That seems good, though I dunno how I’d feel about the permadeath in the longer missions. I stopped after two just because I was really burnt out of the game by the time it was all unlocked.

Don’t think I’ll ever go back to it. The game made me want to replay some DMC, which I am now. It’s just so much more fun to use these moves on well designed encounters, I’m wishing I’d abandoned FF for this replay sooner.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jul 5, 2023

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

cubicle gangster posted:

No, and for the same reason - after I finished it I played 2 chapters on hard. Found it thoroughly enjoyable, but put it down for a year or so to play other games and tried to go back. the level that hard demands you play at means you have to be at the top of your game with it - I got loving spanked for an hour straight and gave up trying to remember how to play it.

That's my biggest issues with ff16 locking hard behind ng+ - unless I go straight into it after the credits roll, I might as well not bother. So there's a good chance even though I love the game, I'm probably going to jump to bg3 or diablo4 or anything else in my backlog.

Ff7r just needed a tip that said 'always be switching characters'. It clicks once you realize it's not an optional system, and is 100% mandatory.
Glad it’s not just me. Need to finish P5R, YLAD, and XVI and then I’ll go back to it.

So many good games.

XVI’s combat is pretty cool but it’s also not the kind of thing I want to bother mastering. I’ll just play SF6 for that particular dopamine hit. But it’s still dumb as hell they gate so much behind multiple playthroughs.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDxPQqkSyL4

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Bugblatter posted:

Yeah, I finished FF mode. It has the problems you assumed plus a few more.

As you guessed, being able to select missions for the arcade mode at the higher difficulties does require a second full playthrough. The post-fight score is only in the arcade mode as well, it’s still absent in NG+.

drat. So close to nailing it.

Ng+ should have had an option to play it as arcade mode first time. Maybe the best way for it to work would have been for FF mode to create a new save before the final point of no return that locks in a higher difficulty, and when you switch to that, the hunts reset for weapon farming. There's really no need to go through the entire story a second time.

When I say nailing it, I mean I still love the game, but if they'd threaded the needle and given me a DMC rpg, it might have ended up at my all time number 1 slot.

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

factions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Romancing saga games on discount on psn :siren: 70% off saga 2 and 3 :siren: