Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Nothing is ever going to top the adaptation of Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe that one crazy theater production in South Carolina put out with its nightmare-skeleton-tree take on Aslan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

I don't understand why film production people always want to try and do the entire Chronicles of Narnia; the 'main characters' (as in the people you can try to Daniel Radcliffe) are only in four of the seven books and like everyone has always said trying to adapt 'The Last Battle' is pointless. 'Dawn Treader' doesn't feature the full family cast so really you've got two credible films that you can sell. Just do those two and put a post credits thing that explains that Narnia is a big world with many other stories and then, if the money and cultural impact somehow appears, you can do other films (but you probably shouldn't since most of the books are bad).

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
A TV series makes more sense as than you can do each season as it's own sort of different thing, you know as the books did looking at a different aspect and story of Narnia with each. You know exactly like The Wire!

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

I'd also bet money none of them have read the books they just know it is a franchise with name recognition

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

NorgLyle posted:

I don't understand why film production people always want to try and do the entire Chronicles of Narnia; the 'main characters' (as in the people you can try to Daniel Radcliffe) are only in four of the seven books and like everyone has always said trying to adapt 'The Last Battle' is pointless. 'Dawn Treader' doesn't feature the full family cast so really you've got two credible films that you can sell. Just do those two and put a post credits thing that explains that Narnia is a big world with many other stories and then, if the money and cultural impact somehow appears, you can do other films (but you probably shouldn't since most of the books are bad).

I think some of them are doable -- A Horse and His Boy and The Magician's Newphew wouldn't take much tweaking to become great films tbh. I've always thought the former would work really well as an animated adventure series in the vein of something like Avatar, but the economics aren't there so it'll never happen.

The Last Battle is laughably impossible to adapt, for more reasons than just fantasy Muslims declaring Jihad on Narnia, but the bit with the dryad being chopped down has stuck with me.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They should really just start with The Magician's Nephew since it is a prequel about the origins of Narnia and would let them test the waters (and also keep them from doing ANOTHER adaptation of the first book.)

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
A lot of those proposed Mattel movies sound dire. Kaufman-esque Barney, gently caress off. On the other hand knocking out cheap PG-13 horror programmers based on gimmicky toys like the Magic Eight Ball seems likely to turn to a profit. I expect we'll see a bunch of those and the more expensive prospects like Hot Wheels go unmade.

muscles like this! posted:

They should really just start with The Magician's Nephew since it is a prequel about the origins of Narnia and would let them test the waters (and also keep them from doing ANOTHER adaptation of the first book.)

Only if they get Swinton back as Jadis/The White Witch.

High Warlord Zog fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jul 4, 2023

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Magician's Nephew also has some really cool imagery like the wood between worlds and the dead world where the White Witch is the only living being.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

The Magician's Nephew also has some really cool imagery like the wood between worlds and the dead world where the White Witch is the only living being.

Yeah, it gets a bit boring when it leans into the creation myth and "actually being a prequel" stuff in the second half, but the first half of the book is chock full of amazing concepts. I can think of at least two different properties that have nicked the wood between worlds concept outright, and they should, it's great.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

High Warlord Zog posted:

A lot of those proposed Mattel movies sound dire. Kaufman-esque Barney, gently caress off. On the other hand knocking out cheap PG-13 horror programmers based on gimmicky toys like the Magic Eight Ball seems likely to turn to a profit. I expect we'll see a bunch of those and the more expensive prospects like Hot Wheels go unmade.

It's hard to get really mad about the slate they've proposed because a "Magic 8 Ball Horror Comedy" piques my interest so strongly.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Also Narnia is hella Christian and if you want to adapt that side of it (and honestly you kind of need to for a proper adaptation) you have to have people that at the very least won't immediately turn it into Evangelical propaganda

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Kevin Sorbo as Aslan. He wears the costume from The Wizard Of Oz.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

well why not posted:

It's hard to get really mad about the slate they've proposed because a "Magic 8 Ball Horror Comedy" piques my interest so strongly.

Here's 15 million dollars and a toy, try to make the next M3GAN, is the kind of cynical branded content I can get behind to be honest

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Someone should adapt the Space Trilogy instead, or at least the first one. Still Christian but at least there are some giant space otters on Mars.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Chairman Capone posted:

Someone should adapt the Space Trilogy instead, or at least the first one. Still Christian but at least there are some giant space otters on Mars.

They wouldn't be space otters, then. They'd be Mars otters. Think these things through.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Feldegast42 posted:

Also Narnia is hella Christian and if you want to adapt that side of it (and honestly you kind of need to for a proper adaptation) you have to have people that at the very least won't immediately turn it into Evangelical propaganda

Ideally I would love to see Ridley Scott do this. But Greta Gerwich has made movies critical of Christianity too so this can also be interesting.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

they should do magician's nephew if only because im curious how greta gerwig would do the jadis's weird, hosed up dead world and the "deplorable word"

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jul 4, 2023

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

well why not posted:

Kevin Sorbo as Aslan. He wears the costume from The Wizard Of Oz.
“Do it gayer Kevin or no Spaghettios for you tonight”

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Prowler posted:

Sweet, can't open the lovely site to see the embedded pictures without logging in and had to instead read the article.

...It was in that article that I learned Sony grabbed the rights to Candy Land and tried to make an Adam Sandler movie out of it.

Edit: And "Unfrosted: The Pop-Tart Story" by Jerry Seinfeld

"that's not chocolate :cry:"

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

There was a TV adaptation of Candyland a few years ago. It was a reality cooking show on the Food Network starring Kristin Chenoweth as the Candy Fairy.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Kristin Chenoweth’s head is so small sometimes I think she’s a birdhouse.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

There was already a good adaptation of Narnia up to the Silver Chair. :colbert:

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Disney+'s Crater was released May 12th and has now been removed from Disney+

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWIeQmRNZEY

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Tars Tarkas posted:

Disney+'s Crater was released May 12th and has now been removed from Disney+

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWIeQmRNZEY

The viewership for that particular movie must have significantly collapsed

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
It definitely leaves a hole in the lineup.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

never heard of this in my life

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
It looks like a by-the-numbers Disney tween movie?

Not particularly good, but also I don’t see anything in the trailer to pull the whole movie

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

whydirt posted:

It looks like a by-the-numbers Disney tween movie?

Not particularly good, but also I don’t see anything in the trailer to pull the whole movie

I was gonna say. Did I miss that someone in the cast or production pulled a Spacey?

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Warner Brothers pulling Batgirl and a Zemeckis movie for tax write-off purposes means it’s now open season on anything that “underperforms” by the nebulous standards of streaming.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah WBD memory holed a bunch of things and now everybody is doing it.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Well that doesn't bode well.

Knowing Hollywood finances every-time they shelve a film as a tax write off they're adding in the costs from at least half a dozen other movies.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
It's not for tax write offs, you can only do that if you never aired the product.

It's to cut licensing fees to the production companies and residuals to cast and crew, particularly the writers and actors during the strike.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Streaming continues its decline. Buy physical media.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

🏴‍☠️

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Streaming continues its decline. Buy physical media.

Yuppp. Unfortunately, there's a growing number of things that have no physical release of any sort. That leaves only one option :yarr:

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Jose Oquendo posted:

Yuppp. Unfortunately, there's a growing number of things that have no physical release of any sort. That leaves only one option :yarr:

Barbarian never got a physical release. What the gently caress!!!!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Okay which Nepo baby do we have to green light to get criterion printing on overtime

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Jose Oquendo posted:

Agreed, but the reason I say to buy it is because if there's strong physical media sales this actually encourages these dummies to release stuff on it.

I know, I know. Me telling a handful of people on a dead old forum isn't going to make any difference. But I'm pretty evangelical about it IRL, and unlike in the last 5 years I'm actually getting some traction now. Encouraging!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

We need a bargain bin streaming service

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Alan Smithee posted: