Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I think the like actual content was good, but yeah the like comedy and writing parts that were obviously written by a team of writers and not just Bomani riffing did not work.

He just never seemed like he felt comfortable rattling off the canned jokes.

It was just like a weird mix of Bomani himself which I enjoy from The Evening Jones and The Right time, and like writing you'd expect to get on like the John Oliver show only about sports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
That sucks but it didn’t feel like a great fit from what I saw on socials etc. the pod is still really good when he’s not hitting the usual espn focuses

felked
Jul 4, 2023

Is there a better basketball pod than Lowe Post these days? I’m sick of this show, it’s a shell of what it was before. Ppl like Doris Burke, Bobby Marks, Ramona Shelburne, Windhorst or Tim McMahon don’t know anything about anything and are on there all the time

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

felked posted:

Is there a better basketball pod than Lowe Post these days? I’m sick of this show, it’s a shell of what it was before. Ppl like Doris Burke, Bobby Marks, Ramona Shelburne, Windhorst or Tim McMahon don’t know anything about anything and are on there all the time

Sam Vecenie does excellent work primarily focusing on young players but covers a lot of topics very well. I think him and Andrew Schlecht are considered gold standards.

I’ve come to like David Thorpe’s TrueHoop as it comes from the player development and coaching angle. The most recent episode talked about what coaches are trying to look for in summer league and I find the “here’s what it’s like for the guys trying to get into the league/stay in” aspect interesting.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
My main bball pods are Suns specific but Dunc’d On seems pretty good, I just started listening to that. Idk I feel like a lot of the nba podcasters are more interested in basketball as a spreadsheet than an actual thing to watch and analyze and that poo poo bores me. Maybe I just jumped in on an ep of Dunc’d that isn’t like that so hopefully I’m not barking up the wrong tree there

But if you decide you just want suns info The Timeline is really good.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Bismack Billabongo posted:

My main bball pods are Suns specific but Dunc’d On seems pretty good, I just started listening to that. Idk I feel like a lot of the nba podcasters are more interested in basketball as a spreadsheet than an actual thing to watch and analyze and that poo poo bores me. Maybe I just jumped in on an ep of Dunc’d that isn’t like that so hopefully I’m not barking up the wrong tree there

But if you decide you just want suns info The Timeline is really good.

Dunc’d has that reputation but it’s mostly because they tend to be harsh on teams that are kind of going towards nowhere. (Eg they probably hate the Vucevic resigning)The enthusiasm they show in their post game episodes show they actually enjoy the product on the court even if they are cap nerds.

I don’t think most people enjoy cap/metagame talk but I actually like the mock offseasons/interviews with Coon and people who know what they’re talking about

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
It's a show where people who aren't very good at their job personally insult people who are very good at their job because they make 2% more than they think they should. It has good factual info though, certainly better than you're going to get from Bobby Marks on one of the ESPN shows he floats through.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
The quality of the broadcast of summer league games is somehow worse than the product on the court. Every decision is bad and wrong. The biggest problem is it’s difficult to watch the game muted because it is in reduced screen mode more often than full screen mode and the thing going on in the corner most of the time is a guy talking in a headset. Why do we need to see this? But the funniest thing is they shrunk the screen to put an animated basketball that said “sounds of the game” at one point.

And even when they aren’t shrinking the game half the time the camera is on someone in the stands. Like almost never an actual celebrity. Maybe a coach or a player but almost never anyone of note. Sometimes it’s just a fan in the stand. And these aren’t quick cuts but it just lingers on these people uncomfortably while things are presumably happening on the court.

But if I unmute to find out what is happening, good luck to me because the announcers are more repetitive than 2K and are saying almost word for word what they said about the in season tournament the last time I had it unmuted and have no idea a game is happening on the screen at all. It’s somehow worse than JVG and Mark Jackson.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Bomani is a charismatic guy but everytime I watched that show he came across so stiff and lifeless.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/HowardBeck/status/1678418476174548996

Not quite broadcasting, but still sports media

Its really sad that as the NYT continues to become a solely national brand that its abandoning its local sports coverage

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Codependent Poster posted:

Bomani is a charismatic guy but everytime I watched that show he came across so stiff and lifeless.

Bomani can be real funny and clever when on a podcast or riffing with friends.

But it is a real hard and different talent to come off as authentic, funny and engaging when reading a combination of other people's writing from a teleprompter or script.

I liked the show, but yeah it rarely hit in an authentic way.

Besides that Duke segment.

That Duke segment was loving hilarious.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/status/1679300425357336577?s=20

Doctors found more cancer but they are treating it with radiation

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
He annoyingly screamed his way to fame and fortune. He gave himself throat cancer but earned 20m in the process. I'm sure he feels like it's a great trade

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
I will take this latest opportunity to once again mention that I have Dick Vitales autograph on a Hooters poster.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
https://www.cnbc.com/2023/07/13/disney-ceo-iger-opens-door-to-unloading-tv-assets.html

CNBC posted:

At the top of the list is assessing the traditional TV business, Iger said on Thursday. Disney owns a portfolio of TV networks, from broadcast station ABC to cable-TV channels like ESPN.

Disney is going to be “expansive” in its thinking about the traditional TV business, leaving the door open to a possible sale of the networks. “They may not be core to Disney,” Iger said, adding the creativity that has come from those networks has been core to Disney.

Cable-TV channel ESPN is in a different bucket, however. On that front, Iger said Disney is open to finding a strategic partner, which could take the form of a joint venture or offloading an ownership stake.

Iger said when he had left the company he had predicted the future of traditional TV and had been “very pessimistic,” and has found since his return that he was right in his thinking, adding it’s worse than he expected.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yeah I think ESPN gets spun off or sold soon. Disney has been axing people left and right at the network for several years now

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

the cw is getting some acc football/basketball games

https://twitter.com/theACC/status/1679582896896573440

these might have been the games that were on regional sports networks

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Bismack Billabongo posted:

I will take this latest opportunity to once again mention that I have Dick Vitales autograph on a Hooters poster.

Nice

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

So that means OTA right? That will be pretty sweet, if I remember to look for it that is.

ohhyeah
Mar 24, 2016

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah I think ESPN gets spun off or sold soon. Disney has been axing people left and right at the network for several years now

I feel like I’m 18 months behind conventional wisdom. I thought live sports was the only tv people still watch. So why would Disney want to sell ESPN?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

ohhyeah posted:

I feel like I’m 18 months behind conventional wisdom. I thought live sports was the only tv people still watch. So why would Disney want to sell ESPN?

My guess is that Disney is zigging where Fox is zagging and they’re going all-in on streaming. It wouldn’t surprise me if in five years, all the current TV channels owned by Disney are spun off, sold, or shuttered.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
ESPN is eventually going to start losing money as the carriage fees evaporate over the next decade. But they've also agreed to $$$$$Billion in rights agreements with a bunch of different leagues. The leagues are still going to want that money.

Edward Mass posted:

My guess is that Disney is zigging where Fox is zagging and they’re going all-in on streaming. It wouldn’t surprise me if in five years, all the current TV channels owned by Disney are spun off, sold, or shuttered.

Iger said as much today at that freakshow billionaire summit: https://www.cnbc.com/2023/07/13/dis..._source=twitter

quote:

Disney is going to be “expansive” in its thinking about the traditional TV business, leaving the door open to a possible sale of the networks. “They may not be core to Disney,” Iger said, adding the creativity that has come from those networks has been key for Disney.

Mike_V fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jul 14, 2023

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Vertical Lime posted:

Bring back Jefferson Pilot you cowards.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

C. Everett Koop posted:

Bring back Jefferson Pilot you cowards.

hell no

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

ohhyeah posted:

Put simply, because live sports were so lucrative, Disney was essentially naming its own price when it came to carriage fees for ESPN. And they were able to bully whatever they wanted out of the cable and satellite providers because without ESPN, those services were essentially worthless. So they’d start up the SEC Network, and the ACC Network, and whatever other channels, then demand that not only should those channels be part of the same basic tier as ESPN, but also that the carriage fee go even higher. (Something like $8-10-12 of everyone’s cable bill went JUST to ESPN networks for like ~20 years) But now no one has cable or satellite anymore and so, while live sports are still super lucrative, they’re not AS lucrative as they have been specifically to ESPN/Disney because millions of cable and satellite subscribers aren’t forced to pay for ESPN on even the most basic plan.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Disney needs cash to pay Comcast for Hulu, they are contractually obligated to pay at minimum 9 billion for the remaining stake in it. It could, and almost certainly will, go higher since that valuation was from a few years ago. Getting out ahead on ESPN before it starts becoming an anchor is a good start on that

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Apple has talked with Bundesliga about getting their media rights after the current deal with ESPN expires after the 25-26 season

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
I guess Disney can put their on brand stuff to Disney+ and adult fare on Hulu (Star overseas) and call it a day. Even if they shutter the cable channels like they did in Europe, who would be able to take ABC?

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Edward Mass posted:

The joint venture with Disney in the offloading of ESPN makes more sense because there is also going to be a lot of anti-trust hurdles they have to go through. Recall when Disney bought Fox they had to sell off all the RSN's to be able to finalize the deal. I think as others have pointed out the carriage fees are evaporating but the one thing they certainly also like is when they have a big sporting event they know they have guaranteed eyes which is becoming a rarity for selling advertising blocks. I think its a really tough situation right now that does have a lot of contradictory things going on.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Give me my Daves back. Add even more. Dave Pasch. Dave O'Brien. Dave Flemming. Davoris Burke. All of them. Advertise nothing but Golden Flake and Yellawood. Book nothing but South Carolina and Missouri. Do it dagnabbit.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

soggybagel posted:

The joint venture with Disney in the offloading of ESPN makes more sense because there is also going to be a lot of anti-trust hurdles they have to go through. Recall when Disney bought Fox they had to sell off all the RSN's to be able to finalize the deal. I think as others have pointed out the carriage fees are evaporating but the one thing they certainly also like is when they have a big sporting event they know they have guaranteed eyes which is becoming a rarity for selling advertising blocks. I think its a really tough situation right now that does have a lot of contradictory things going on.

My guess is that selling ESPN is something a lot of shareholders definitely want, but also another very large group does not want them to do this so they are trying their best to look like they are ready to do either if the wind ever blows definitively one way.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

C. Everett Koop posted:

Give me my Daves back. Add even more. Dave Pasch. Dave O'Brien. Dave Flemming. Davoris Burke. All of them. Advertise nothing but Golden Flake and Yellawood. Book nothing but South Carolina and Missouri. Do it dagnabbit.

i hated seeing lsu in those games uggghh

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

Vertical Lime posted:

I assume these will be the worst conference game of the week. Glad to see Syracuse get the national spotlight finally.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

If - same as MLS on AppleTV - this is a global deal, then I'll be happy, because I don't want to go through another service in Japan to access the Bundesliga but I would like to watch it.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Ugh. Someone in the NBA hire me to build their vertical monopoly broadcast strategy. It's right there, and it's almost to easy to just grab.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Lockback posted:

Ugh. Someone in the NBA hire me to build their vertical monopoly broadcast strategy. It's right there, and it's almost to easy to just grab.

Not really? MLS happened because the league went out of their way to make sure all regional, national, and international rights expired at the same time to make MLS Season Pass happen.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Edward Mass posted:

Not really? MLS happened because the league went out of their way to make sure all regional, national, and international rights expired at the same time to make MLS Season Pass happen.

NBA is a much better product in the US, and they already have a multi tier broadcast ready to go.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Lockback posted:

NBA is a much better product in the US, and they already have a multi tier broadcast ready to go.

That's the problem! If you want all the games in one (and only one) place, you need for all the TV contracts to run out simultaneously so as to not break contracts with the current broadcasters.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Can’t recall if this was in this thread or the Sports Journalism thread, but anyway:

So when Timothy Burke was subject to a FBI raid, he stopped posting on Twitter at the same time. Turns out just a few days later he moved solely over to Blue Sky. He’s not posting sports footage like he used to on Twitter, and ASAIK we still don’t know the result of that raid but at least for the time being he’s not in jail. - https://bsky.app/profile/bubbaprog.ilovecitr.us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Nybble posted:

So when Timothy Burke was subject to a FBI raid, he stopped posting on Twitter at the same time. Turns out just a few days later he moved solely over to Blue Sky. He’s not posting sports footage like he used to on Twitter

This is partially because Bluesky doesn’t support gifs yet lmao. CJ Zero still isn’t posting gifs there either, don’t think any of the rasslin’ gif accounts have moved over either.

But yeah not sure if that’s fully a technical limitation or due to the legal situation.