Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

OhFunny posted:

America’s Navy Remains Crippled by Service and Repair Delays

The USS Connecticut is one of those attack subs. It hit an underwater mountain in 2021 while in the South China Sea, and repairs won't be complete until 2026.

laid down in 1992 and completed in 1997. it is going to take as long to repair the boat as it did to build it in the first place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Frosted Flake posted:

Warships rusting is absolutely anathema. It has nothing to do with structural integrity and everything to do with the basic standards of discipline and daily routine at sea. I'm not saying return to the brightwork of the "Buff and Black" Royal Navy, though it wouldn't hurt, but goddamn surface combatants with visible rust points to a standard that has collapsed.

Needle gunning rust and putting down paint are usually busywork in the navy unless you are staring down an inspection like ORSE or INSERV.

Less people in divisions means you spent all your time knocking out your OMS deck and standing watch.

Having one or two junior guys who are currently not tasked made it real easy to keep poo poo shiny.

Honestly the dumbest most American way to do it would be to make painting and rust abatement its own loving rate.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Turtle Sandbox posted:

Honestly the dumbest most American way to do it would be to make painting and rust abatement its own loving rate.

I think it's been posted here before, but they're trying to procure robots to do it, which is surely the dumbest, most American, way.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

bedpan posted:

iirc, NATO planners gave the A-10 an effective lifetime measured in minutes in the event of a war with the Soviets.

It is really funny how we've boughtnournown propaganda in thinking the A-10 is invincible, and would have melted while Soviet tank armies on its own

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

bedpan posted:

The US Army proposed several years ago to take possession of the A-10s and run their own CAS program. The USAF immediately went into action and crushed this proposal mercilessly.

Total myth, though a commonly repeated myth. Air Force was generally fine with the idea, though warned the CAS mission isn’t cheap. The army decided it would be too hard and cost too much once they looked into what it would require. Far cheaper to fund artillery and helicopter fires.

Now the USAF does CAS primarily with F-16s, Strike Eagles, and A-10s. More and more will include F-35s, but F-35s aren’t the A-10 replacement. If anything that mission may fall more often to 4th gen fighters that will be around for decades to come.

The war in Ukraine is a good example of how aircraft like SU-25s and A-10s are highly marginalized even when fighting pretty antiquated air defenses like those of Ukraine.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

KomradeX posted:

It is really funny how we've boughtnournown propaganda in thinking the A-10 is invincible, and would have melted while Soviet tank armies on its own

Leadership actually believing the previous generation's propaganda is basically the entire story of American decline the past ~40 years lmao

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

KomradeX posted:

I'll actually check this one but as I recall, the estimated life was literally something ridiculous like 15 minutes

mlmp08 posted:

Total myth, though a commonly repeated myth. Air Force was generally fine with the idea, though warned the CAS mission isn’t cheap. The army decided it would be too hard and cost too much once they looked into what it would require. Far cheaper to fund artillery and helicopter fires.

Now the USAF does CAS primarily with F-16s, Strike Eagles, and A-10s. More and more will include F-35s, but F-35s aren’t the A-10 replacement. If anything that mission may fall more often to 4th gen fighters that will be around for decades to come.

The war in Ukraine is a good example of how aircraft like SU-25s and A-10s are highly marginalized even when fighting pretty antiquated air defenses like those of Ukraine.

Thanks for the correction!

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

bedpan posted:

I'll actually check this one but as I recall, the estimated life was literally something ridiculous like 15 minutes

Thanks for the correction!

Youre right it was estimated to be literal minutes, but the Gulf War and attacking people without stable AA defence over the last 30 years convinced people beating the Soviets would be a peice of cake, "just look atneasy we took out those Iraqi T-72s"

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
what's funny to me is how despite outgunning ukraine 10:1, russia has barely even used their airforce in this conflict, because even at that disparity, SAM launchers will immediately gently caress your day up

but now people want ukraine to fly f16s over the same front lmao

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Frosted Flake posted:

I think it's been posted here before, but they're trying to procure robots to do it, which is surely the dumbest, most American, way.

Sounds expensive, time consuming, something that won't be real for a decade more while attempting to solve a problem we have right now.

Make it cost 50 mil a robot, make all the maintenance on said robot depot level, and you've got a real money maker.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Truga posted:

what's funny to me is how despite outgunning ukraine 10:1, russia has barely even used their airforce in this conflict, because even at that disparity, SAM launchers will immediately gently caress your day up

People honestly think American planes are magic that can't be shot down

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Remulak posted:

Why did she bring her purse?

Women be shopping

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

KomradeX posted:

People honestly think American planes are magic that can't be shot down

IEDs can't hit plane and that's what modern warfare mostly looked like in the middle east.

If you got hosed up, odds are thats what hosed you up.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Truga posted:

I have an unfounded intuition that russia could run a succesful SEAD campaign but they would not be able to replace the losses incurred in the medium term

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Stairmaster posted:

I have an unfounded intuition that russia could run a succesful SEAD campaign but they would not be able to replace the losses incurred in the medium term

The whole SMO concept was about carefully shepherding resources and doing everything on the cheap. It makes sense to me that they've been trying to keep valuable assets out of harm's way, even if it's made the whole thing clunkier than it needed to be.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Truga posted:

Russia has used their airforce a lot in this conflict, just not the level that appears "normal" to a Western eye because the US's use of air power is basically as a hammer for every possible nail. The US uses air strikes the way a Russian formation would use its divisional artillery.

go for a stroll
Sep 10, 2003

you'll never make it out alive

Pillbug
I don't know poo poo but I was under the impression that anything under, say 20k feet was dead if something like an S-400 went after it, and top gun style evasive maneuvers and flares are bullshit in that scenario.

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 70 days!
the us will easily win any conflict with china because this is the lord's land and we are his people

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

inshallah

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

go for a stroll posted:

I don't know poo poo but I was under the impression that anything under, say 20k feet was dead if something like an S-400 went after it, and top gun style evasive maneuvers and flares are bullshit in that scenario.

Not really, the same for any SAM system in that some dodging and juking can actually work but it is really about volume of the missiles fired and the skill of the pilot. The Ukrainians don’t always get shot down.

Also if you stop to just above the ground, you are also much harder to it, but then you can be also shot down by all types of other types of ground fire and MANPADs.

That said, it seems like the aim in any peer to peer conflict with the US is to disrupt their first few waves as much as possible and reliable strikes, the US is very vulnerable on the ground.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

sams have a certain kill radius based on altitude and speed where that doesn't work. it will not surprise you that state of the art systems have a very large one.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
its the summer of sams

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

the s-500 will destroy amerikkka

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

go for a stroll posted:

There are a lot of variables. The sites can't be located too close to the front line without being exposed to things like rocket artillery, and if you stay at a low altitude and far enough away, the site's radar can't see you due to the horizon and terrain so you might be able to do low altitude CAS without ever being shot at by those particular systems. Distance from the site and the minimum abort distance of the missile and the altitude and speed of the plane. If you're far enough away and fast enough, you can use the advanced tactic of "just leave, just walk away" and the missile will run out of energy before it gets you. Also whether the radar operator wants to switch on and make themselves potentially vulnerable to anti-radiation missiles in the first place, etc. There's also reverse attrition: every time you shoot a SAM and don't hit, that's a missile you've expended without getting a plane and that missile has to be replaced. That's not trivial in a full scale war.

However S300s/400s do generally mean that the "we fly whever we want whenever we want" US air supremacy assumptions don't hold because that airspace is going to be contested and you can't just fly into it and drop your JDAMs whenever and wherever you want.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

The Oldest Man posted:

There are a lot of variables. The sites can't be located too close to the front line without being exposed to things like rocket artillery, and if you stay at a low altitude and far enough away, the site's radar can't see you due to the horizon and terrain so you might be able to do low altitude CAS without ever being shot at by those particular systems. Distance from the site and the minimum abort distance of the missile and the altitude and speed of the plane. If you're far enough away and fast enough, you can use the advanced tactic of "just leave, just walk away" and the missile will run out of energy before it gets you. Also whether the radar operator wants to switch on and make themselves potentially vulnerable to anti-radiation missiles in the first place, etc. There's also reverse attrition: every time you shoot a SAM and don't hit, that's a missile you've expended without getting a plane and that missile has to be replaced. That's not trivial in a full scale war.

However S300s/400s do generally mean that the "we fly whever we want whenever we want" US air supremacy assumptions don't hold because that airspace is going to be contested and you can't just fly into it and drop your JDAMs whenever and wherever you want.

Something something stealth bombers will clear the way- US doctrine, probably

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

KomradeX posted:

Something something stealth bombers will clear the way- US doctrine, probably

I think they'd probably sling a lot of standoff munitions (Tomahawks being one of the main ones) at the launchers and hope to overwhelm them with the mass of fire but it's not clear there's actually enough of those in the inventory to attrit them and the US has very little ability to regenerate those weapons at this point.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

bedpan posted:

iirc, NATO planners gave the A-10 an effective lifetime measured in minutes in the event of a war with the Soviets.

Didn't they give the entire USAF like, 2 weeks of sustained fighting before they were attritted to nothing?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

skooma512 posted:

Didn't they give the entire USAF like, 2 weeks of sustained fighting before they were attritted to nothing?

Also Warsaw Pact was expected to hit most major air bases with tactical nuclear weapons (or, optimistically, overwhelming conventional attacks) at zero hour.

Once NATO telegraphed not only that their entire war depended on airpower but that reinforcements from the continental US flying by transport and airliner would be relied upon to fill NATO combat formations, you did not want to be hanging out anywhere near Ramstein.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 19:58 on Jul 5, 2023

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

skooma512 posted:

Wait have we devolved that badly, cause I remember that beinf attributed to most of Europe which is why we had to take over bombing Libya after a week cause only the US had the stockpile for a sustained air campaign

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The Oldest Man posted:

I think they'd probably sling a lot of standoff munitions (Tomahawks being one of the main ones) at the launchers and hope to overwhelm them with the mass of fire but it's not clear there's actually enough of those in the inventory to attrit them and the US has very little ability to regenerate those weapons at this point.

This makes sense if your strategy is the short victorious war won by one overwhelming blow

Which makes sense if your doctrine is based on the inherent superiority of your people and technology

Which makes sense if you integrated a bunch of Wehrmacht officers into your strategic planning apparatus

Which makes sense if you thought they should've won ww2

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

Also Warsaw Pact was expected to hit most major air bases with tactical nuclear weapons (or, optimistically, overwhelming conventional attacks) at zero hour.

Once NATO telegraphed not only that their entire war depended on airpower but that reinforcements from the continental US flying by transport and airliner would be relied upon to fill NATO combat formations, you did not want to be hanging out anywhere near Ramstein.

there were some really great posts on SA about 10 years ago or so where a guy recounted stories of his time in the military working with either chemical or nuclear weapons (I think) in Germany. whatever it was, one of the things that popped up in a lot of his stories was that the nature of the job they had in the military meant they would be target #1 and couldn't expect to survive past minute one of full combat

I'll need to find those posts again. Great stuff.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

KomradeX posted:

Wait have we devolved that badly, cause I remember that beinf attributed to most of Europe which is why we had to take over bombing Libya after a week cause only the US had the stockpile for a sustained air campaign

No, it’s in the Operational Logistics textbooks, I’m sure I have one around here somewhere.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

bedpan posted:

there were some really great posts on SA about 10 years ago or so where a guy recounted stories of his time in the military working with either chemical or nuclear weapons (I think) in Germany. whatever it was, one of the things that popped up in a lot of his stories was that the nature of the job they had in the military meant they would be target #1 and couldn't expect to survive past minute one of full combat

I'll need to find those posts again. Great stuff.

That guy told great stories. drat that takes me back.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

That guy told great stories. drat that takes me back.

Do you remember the poster's name? I don't

I never looked far into considering if his stories were legit. Incredible stories though.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
Oh man, wasn't that the guy who had to check the wind and other weather stuff to see where he'd have to aim chemicals to kill the maximum number of people? And he became a massive alcoholic because of that?

I also remember the building they were quartered at makimg a loud-rear end boom sound every so often, for reasons no one had determined, and him finding a concealed space with nazi knives?

That one? Or did I dream that?

If it's the same, I always thought his story of him turning down his big-boobed, older fellow soldier was BS. In my headcanon he did the deed.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Ant something?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Phase one looking pretty optimistic imo

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

that graph sucks and is very small component of logistics.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Bar Ran Dun posted:

that graph sucks and is very small component of logistics.

Yeah, it's one graph in an entire book about Land Force Logistics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 70 days!
sorry brd that graph means the covenant has been broken and the us will be destroyed