Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

quiggy posted:

i think the term "classical roguelike" is probably ok for the strict berlin interpretation ascii roguelikes, in particular the big five (nethack/dcss/adom/angband/tome), but as for forming a strict rogulikiness axis where we try to place nethack and jupiter hell and shiren and slay the spire and spelunky and so on, who gives a gently caress

Seems to me like there's way fewer berlin-approved roguelikes than non-approved. I say we flip the table on them and call those a subgenre of roguelikes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

AnimeIsTrash posted:

i like video games

same

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
was a time you’d get probed for posting about vibeo games

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

goblin week posted:

Seems to me like there's way fewer berlin-approved roguelikes than non-approved. I say we flip the table on them and call those a subgenre of roguelikes

its because there is 0 reason to use ascii graphics nowadays unless you are weird enough to roll your own engine. the moment you crack open unity/godot you just kinda get graphics for free may as well get some crappy free icon packs and use em

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Tony Pizzuto Says Hello

Silver Alicorn posted:

was a time you’d get probed for posting about vibeo games

thats why this is the James thread :ssh:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

AnimeIsTrash posted:

people getting roguelites and rogue likes confused-_-

noobs love their meta progression

the meta progression is stored in the brain

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

*thinking really hard*

poker is a roguelike

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

obviously personal preferences are what they are but saying a game with metaprogression isn't a roguelike is loving dumb. quit gatekeeping video game genres like a big nerd

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
radical roguelike anarchy

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

fart simpson posted:

*thinking really hard*

poker is a roguelike

real life is a roguelike per berlin:
- randomly generated
- permadeath
- turn-based (planck time)
- non-modal
- emergent
- resource management
- hack and slash (capitalism)
- unidentified items

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

it’s not a soulslike if it doesn’t have combat rolling and a stamina bar

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
real life isn't randomly generated, everyone plays the same dungeon

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Armitag3 posted:

it’s not a soulslike if it doesn’t have combat rolling and a stamina bar

gmtk has a really good video entitled "do we need a soulslike genre" that includes this v good (imo) parody of the berlin interpretation

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

i flip flop a bit on mark brown. on the one hand his videos seem well researched and all, but then again how much stock can you put into someone’s lectures when until very recently he hasn’t made a single game? seems all a bit armchair-y to me. i don’t know you tell me, you’re a game dev

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i think the differentiation between rouge like and rouge lite being meta-progression is fine. its good enough to understand what people are talking about and you dont need a huge technical list of features

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

his vids are usually pretty good but a little basic, kind of a good crash course into design methodologies and such

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Shaggar posted:

i think the differentiation between rouge like and rouge lite being meta-progression is fine. its good enough to understand what people are talking about and you dont need a huge technical list of features

this falls apart for me with stuff like shiren the wanderer though, which is very clearly a direct descendent of nethack but also includes some very light metaprogression elements (there's a few rare ways to store items for future runs, some side quests take multiple runs to complete, the most recent game has a very light item creation system that modifies the loot tables). do we really want to throw out the baby with the bathwater and claim it's not a True Roguelike because of this small handful of secondary features?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Shaggar posted:

this mf said rouge

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

fart simpson posted:

*thinking really hard*

poker is a roguelike

poker is a trading card roguelike soulsborne game

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

the new classic roguelike is Caves of Qud

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
idk what that is but all you roguelike classic fans will ike this game

https://en.bandainamcoent.eu/elden-ring/elden-ring

matti
Mar 31, 2019

Captain Foo posted:

the new classic roguelike is Caves of Qud

neo classical, maybe

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

quiggy posted:

this falls apart for me with stuff like shiren the wanderer though, which is very clearly a direct descendent of nethack but also includes some very light metaprogression elements (there's a few rare ways to store items for future runs, some side quests take multiple runs to complete, the most recent game has a very light item creation system that modifies the loot tables). do we really want to throw out the baby with the bathwater and claim it's not a True Roguelike because of this small handful of secondary features?

ive never heard of it but if its not a "true rogue like" who cares? the reason people like rogue lites more is they're generally better games. the meta-progression allows for more flexible gameplay elements that the player can have control over, whereas rogue-likes are way more dependent on randomness to the point that they become a hassle to play.

AnimeIsTrash posted:

this mf said rouge

lol

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

AnimeIsTrash posted:

idk what that is but all you roguelike classic fans will ike this game

https://en.bandainamcoent.eu/elden-ring/elden-ring

looks a bit too ubisofty for my tastes

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

matti posted:

neo classical, maybe

sure

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

quiggy posted:

- randomly generated
- permadeath
- non-modal
- emergent
- resource management
- unidentified items

why does germany get to define it

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

quiggy posted:

- randomly generated
- permadeath
- non-modal
- emergent
- resource management
- unidentified items

removing unidentified items this is a way better definition of roguelike than what berlin actually reads like. unidentified items are just dumb though, no game has actually done them well.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

fart simpson posted:

why does germany get to define it

comedy answer go ask the germans, real answer because a bunch of turbonerds at the international roguelike development conference 2008 got together to build the definition and it was held in berlin

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

removing unidentified items this is a way better definition of roguelike than what berlin actually reads like. unidentified items are just dumb though, no game has actually done them well.

disagree, i think unidentified items as they exist in classical roguelikes are actually pretty interesting. you can still use the items without knowing what they are and good/knowledgeable players can often find ways of identifying certain kinds of items without either using them or using identify scrolls. it's when you bring them over to diabloland where it's a "click button to unwrap present" mechanic that it gets dumb

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

goblin week posted:

looks a bit too ubisofty for my tastes

its like assassins creed but with more stuff to do on the map

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

quiggy posted:

disagree, i think unidentified items as they exist in classical roguelikes are actually pretty interesting. you can still use the items without knowing what they are and good/knowledgeable players can often find ways of identifying certain kinds of items without either using them or using identify scrolls. it's when you bring them over to diabloland where it's a "click button to unwrap present" mechanic that it gets dumb

i heavily dislike the "knowledgeable" bit though, in that i find the encyclopedic knowledge of what to do with what a really limited gameplay mechanic. that's not to say that judging the unknowns is bad, but i've never seen this done in a way where it is not basically wiki bait.

we can grab slay the spire there, where you're taking a guess at the future all the time, but outside runic dome (which i forgive easily as it is the singular thing in the game which echoes that kind of thing) there's nothing where you really get past by extremely specific and precise knowledge.

matti
Mar 31, 2019

quiggy posted:

throwing unidentified potions at enemies to figure out wtf they are is a cool mechanic

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

matti posted:

throwing unidentified potions at enemies to figure out wtf they are is a cool mechanic

:emptyquote:

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i heavily dislike the "knowledgeable" bit though, in that i find the encyclopedic knowledge of what to do with what a really limited gameplay mechanic. that's not to say that judging the unknowns is bad, but i've never seen this done in a way where it is not basically wiki bait.

we can grab slay the spire there, where you're taking a guess at the future all the time, but outside runic dome (which i forgive easily as it is the singular thing in the game which echoes that kind of thing) there's nothing where you really get past by extremely specific and precise knowledge.

using slay the spire as your example here feels off given how extremely important foreknowledge of the card pools/relic pools/events/fights are, especially at higher ascensions

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

the difference between rougelike and rougelite is that rougelike changes the CMYK values to remain close to rouge, while rougelite only changes the gamma value

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

quiggy posted:

using slay the spire as your example here feels off given how extremely important foreknowledge of the card pools/relic pools/events/fights are, especially at higher ascensions

hey, want to make it fair here as i do love my roguelikes. i specifically dislike the legacy rogue random-color potion though, with nethack being the most notorious example where there's extremely specific obviously-best identification procedures that you'd just memorize (either by playing 10k hours trying every interaction, or, more likely, by rote learning). slay the spire has a knowledgeability aspect, but it is *way* smoother, you'll naturally be shown all there is to see very quickly, and the game revolves around a lot of small choices none of which are catastrophic.

e: and there runic dome is the example in that that is actually a relic that is good if you know by heart the action patterns of the enemies, which nothing else *requires* you to, but which is knowledge that tends to be somewhat useful to slowly accrue.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

that's fair, and fwiw im also not a big fan of how nethack handles a lot of its mechanics

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

of the big five classical roguelikes i'm a dcss girl

matti
Mar 31, 2019

nethack makes a lot more sense if you refrain from reading spoilers and treat it like a puzzle game like zork

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
2 more weeks till pikmin comes out