Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Zetsubou-san has a new favorite as of 13:17 on Jul 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Phy posted:

My dude as soon as I could manage big words like "sodium laureth sulfate" I was reading the shampoo bottles and toothpaste tubes because honestly my brain would rather be anywhere but in the room where my body is dropping its guts. phones just broaden the available text

this is for you

Only registered members can see post attachments!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Not a meme but I just found out there's a volume of Donald Duck's Pocket Book specifically dedicated to shitters:

Täysistunto - Plenary Session (of Parliament). Literally "full sitting", often used to refer to #2.
Varattu! - Occupied!
Walt Disney - Walt Disney
Huussi-Taskari - Outhouse pocket book

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Thank you Zetsubou-san

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Not a meme but I just found out there's a volume of Donald Duck's Pocket Book specifically dedicated to shitters:

Täysistunto - Plenary Session (of Parliament). Literally "full sitting", often used to refer to #2.
Varattu! - Occupied!
Huussi-Taskari - Outhouse pocket book

Do you know what makes it huussi suitable? I tried google and there's not much info. My guess would be that the stories are very short?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Just put your tongue between your front teeth and vibrate it with expressed air . TH

There

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

lobsterminator posted:

Do you know what makes it huussi suitable? I tried google and there's not much info. My guess would be that the stories are very short?

No idea. All of them are very suitable shreading material.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

3D Megadoodoo posted:

:crossarms:

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

They're lying Walt Disney literally means "cesspool pit"

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

euphronius posted:

Just put your tongue between your front teeth and vibrate it with expressed air . TH

There

No that's "hhht"

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Just when I think Finnish couldn’t be any more hosed up they have a phrase for “Walt Disney”

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

euphronius posted:

There

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMo6RN_Z43I

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

freeedr posted:

Just when I think Finnish couldn’t be any more hosed up they have a phrase for “Walt Disney”

Well he was one of the Disniest of people.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rwlm55UQqs1zadjlk.mp4

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Well he was one of the Disniest of people.

Disneyland Helsinki looking bland.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

HisMajestyBOB posted:

Disneyland Helsinki looking bland.

That's still the happiest place in Finland.

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎
The funny thing about English is that we do have a bunch of “those weird foreign sounds”, we just don’t have separate letters for them and you have to learn which is which. Icelandic has two different letters for the “th” sound in English - one for the sound at the beginning of “that” and one for the more aspirated sound at the beginning of “thistle” (I’m not Icelandic so I may not have it exactly right there, but from my understanding it’s a fairly close approximation)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Dental fricative, voiced vs unvoiced

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

The funny thing about English is that we do have a bunch of “those weird foreign sounds”, we just don’t have separate letters for them and you have to learn which is which. Icelandic has two different letters for the “th” sound in English - one for the sound at the beginning of “that” and one for the more aspirated sound at the beginning of “thistle” (I’m not Icelandic so I may not have it exactly right there, but from my understanding it’s a fairly close approximation)

eth and thorn used to be part of the English alphabet too. They were eventually dropped leaving "th" ambiguous.. Relevant to the meme I imagine Tolkien had some interesting opinions on that.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

*Tholkien

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.
Tolkien differentiated the sound in his writings by using "th" and dh". "Eledhwen" would sound like the "th" in "thistle".

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Killer robot posted:

eth and thorn used to be part of the English alphabet too. They were eventually dropped leaving "th" ambiguous.. Relevant to the meme I imagine Tolkien had some interesting opinions on that.

Iirc that's how we ended up with 'ye olde' whatever, that y is a misread thorn

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Killingyouguy! posted:

Iirc that's how we ended up with 'ye olde' whatever, that y is a misread thorn

Yeah but that sucks so I ignore it

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

zoux posted:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Some dinosaurs - primarily the coolest ones - had feathers? Sounds fake actually, and I refuse to believe it.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

zoux posted:

just gotta keep the pronunciation with the same enthusiasm

ye olde = folksy, charming
the old = bland, unremarkable
Thee Olde = holy, touched by the grace of god, miracles occurred within this taffy shoppe

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Still do

mystes
May 31, 2006

zoux posted:

Some dinosaurs - primarily the coolest ones - had feathers? Sounds fake actually, and I refuse to believe it.
This "birds aren't real" conspiracy theory is getting out of hand

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

freeedr posted:

*Tholkien

Jirth.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

mystes posted:

This "birds aren't real" conspiracy theory is getting out of hand

A birds aren’t real conspiracy in the hand is worth two in the bush but idk about out of hand

mystes
May 31, 2006

a conspiracy out of pocket is worth two out of the toosh

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

This is not quite right. Castilian Spanish, Greek and Arabic all have the [θ] in their vocal inventory. Besides, even if it doesn't exist in my language, I found [θ] (and [ð]) not that hard to learn. When I speak English, what usually betrays me is that my rhythm isn't quite as it should be for a native speaker. My most successful con lasted about one minute when a British person thought I was also actually British. Americans were much easier to trick. The Irish simply didn't give two shits.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

birds aren't real, they're spies crafted after scale models based on the (very real and true) fossil record, which the department of homeland security deliberately misrepresented in media for decades to throw off the scent. jurassic park was a psyop, first the movie and then also the book. same with elephants

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

freeedr posted:

Still do

That doesn't look very scary

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

zoux posted:

lol

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

zoux posted:

until you wake up as a cockroach

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

freeedr posted:

Still do

that birb has really cool feathers, too bad it's fake

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's called a Wyandotte and you are alive when it starts to eat you

https://twitter.com/leyawn/status/1676629227326636032

Obama...

zoux has a new favorite as of 18:45 on Jul 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

zoux posted:

It's called a Wyandotte and you are alive when it starts to eat you

https://twitter.com/leyawn/status/1676629227326636032

Obama...

People like to joke about their cat eating them after they're dead but chickens? Man, those things will try and eat you when you're alive. SIL gave the chickens and barn cats some turkey as a treat. Cats may think they can keep a chicken away but those birds gorged themselves. They'd go to town on your dead body and there's nothing a cat could do to stop it.