Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
I want to get excited about Exum cause I thought he was gonna kick rear end his first go round, but already having seen him in the NBA idk that I’d assume anything has been ‘fixed’. I do hope he succeeds though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

OzFactor posted:

He is worth so much more to the Mavs than the Dameless Blazers, they should not match. Are there stats somewhere about how many teams don’t match on their RFAs? Because it feels like nobody lets their RFAs go even when they should.

I think the Blazers will match. It’s likely something like 4 for $50ish. He is only 26 and a good role player.

Matisse is a Goodwin (Dame’s agent) client, so I think this is more about that than anything else.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Marc Stein downplays a PJ offer sheet in his newsletter today, and he's as plugged in with Dallas as anybody. A sign-and-trade is possible I guess but Charlotte doesn't have much incentive to play ball and his reported ask of $18M per year is very reasonable

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Pat Bev has the character of a wandering sage from a hong kong martial arts movie

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

i am a moron posted:

I want to get excited about Exum cause I thought he was gonna kick rear end his first go round, but already having seen him in the NBA idk that I’d assume anything has been ‘fixed’. I do hope he succeeds though

Yeah there's a question if he can shoot close to 38% on NBA contests. But even if he shoots 34%, as long he has to defended, that helps.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

I dont think i would want matisse on the mle

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

WhyteRyce posted:

I forgot that the Blazers drafted Kris Murray to appease Dame as well. Man you'd think that if Dame told them earlier he was bouncing they would have taken one of the bigger upside guys

Here's what I keep thinking about : if we take everyone at their word and Dame really was waiting to see what the team would do to set up for him between the draft and the first round of signings, what was the non-Portland signing where he said "welp, that's it, I'm out?" Like, who specifically was he waiting for and didn't get? I wonder if he told them "get me Draymond or I'm out" and they said "we'll try!"

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

WhyteRyce posted:

I forgot that the Blazers drafted Kris Murray to appease Dame as well. Man you'd think that if Dame told them earlier he was bouncing they would have taken one of the bigger upside guys

Imho it's a catastrophically low upside pick compared to what else was there. Median outcome he's mostly a floor spacer and nada mas

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Dejan Bimble posted:

Pat Bev has the character of a wandering sage from a hong kong martial arts movie

Training montage where the young student is messing everything up and Pat Bev is holding his nose

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

OzFactor posted:

Here's what I keep thinking about : if we take everyone at their word and Dame really was waiting to see what the team would do to set up for him between the draft and the first round of signings, what was the non-Portland signing where he said "welp, that's it, I'm out?" Like, who specifically was he waiting for and didn't get? I wonder if he told them "get me Draymond or I'm out" and they said "we'll try!"

It was probably them resigning Grant and doing literally nothing else to improve the team. Portland signing Edy Tavares must not have moved the needle as much as they hoped.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Dejan Bimble posted:

big time comedic sidekick energy.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Papercut posted:

It was probably them resigning Grant and doing literally nothing else to improve the team. Portland signing Edy Tavares must not have moved the needle as much as they hoped.

I do enjoy thinking of an NBA GM trying to get an extension on his paper. I have a great outline and the intro is so good, I promise, please let me have another week

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

Dejan Bimble posted:

Imho it's a catastrophically low upside pick compared to what else was there. Median outcome he's mostly a floor spacer and nada mas

Hey you don't even need to squint to see he can basically be Keegan Murray, who is a great pick at 22.

Yeah I know he probably won't be as good but they're twins how bad can he be?

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

Hey you don't even need to squint to see he can basically be Keegan Murray, who is a great pick at 22.

Yeah I know he probably won't be as good but they're twins how bad can he be?

He didn't get ncaa minutes til he was 21. What's the point of drafting bad keegan murray

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

I never said it was a good idea I was just trying to connect dots

Not that it's possible or likely, but wouldn't Conley for Murray be better fits for the other team if they were somehow traded?
Seems like people were trying connect Murray to the Wolves for a while and the Hawks might be better off with a leader like Conley around.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

OzFactor posted:

The Blazers offered:

#3 and Simons for Mikal Bridges

Simons and 2 future firsts for O.G (who is on an expiring)

Both are wild overpays and were turned down. It takes two to tango. It might be better in the long run for Portland, but definitely hurts!!!

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

IcePhoenix posted:

I never said it was a good idea I was just trying to connect dots

Ya I'm not saying you are suggesting that as a good trade just this rumour doesn't really seem to make any sense.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Papes posted:

Not on that contract he isn’t

Lol have you payed attention to the nba trade deadline ever?

This team is going to be bad, no free agent signing was going to change that. The van fleet signing is great because he helps teach the young guys a bit, the team stays bad for 2 years and then they either get to let him walk or trade him with assets for stuff that might help them get good.

The reason why the brooks contract was universally maligned was because it’s 4 years, which is long and if he is bad then he’s hard to trade. However it’s going to look like a fairly cheap contract when it’s all said and done. 20 million is going to be close to the MLE by 2027.

Eratik
Jun 23, 2004

I like your style.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Ya I'm not saying you are suggesting that as a good trade just this rumour doesn't really seem to make any sense.

A team with two point guards and no power forwards might want a power forward.

A team with three power forwards and no point guards might want a point guard.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Atlanta would need to gut their team and send picks they don't have for Siakam.

The pieces rumoured back aside from Murray don't fit the raptors either. Bufkin becomes the 4th? 5th? Guard? They don't need another centre that can't shoot either. So it's essentially Murray and filler for Pascal and it doesn't seem to make sense imo for either team.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jul 5, 2023

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I'm fully aboard the trade Siakam train cause you can't play Barnes/Pascal/Poetl together i just don't get this rumour.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Siakim is not a first option so I understand clearing him out, but he also seems to really like Toronto and not want to leave, and those are the guys who ALWAYS get traded

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

tadashi posted:

Not that it's possible or likely, but wouldn't Conley for Murray be better fits for the other team if they were somehow traded?
Seems like people were trying connect Murray to the Wolves for a while and the Hawks might be better off with a leader like Conley around.

I can't imagine the Hawks would do that trade without the Wolves throwing in more but yes that would be a no brainer on our side.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

In what world is 3 and simons a wild overpay for bridges.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

hifi posted:

In what world is 3 and simons a wild overpay for bridges.

that guy thinks scoot is equal to zion in trade value. just nod and smile till he leaves

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

https://youtu.be/T2rWlJwJZj8

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

They already have the best guard prospect of the decade at home

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

insane street preacher guy handing me a pamphlet that morphs into a 53 minute long youtube video about a portland trailblazers draftee

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

I mean, all you gotta do is watch one game - maybe the one against Wemby - to see why he is a highly touted prospect?

We can all be friends here no need to be mean :)

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Ghost Dog posted:

that guy thinks scoot is equal to zion in trade value. just nod and smile till he leaves

Hey he’s not that bad. We can trade him with a 3rd overall pick to Reddit for that guy who always posts about Westbrook.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Scoot is somewhere in the world of zion because no one knows if he's bad yet and everyone knows zion is going to miss 50% of games, which is not conducive to winning

Once people see scoot play, all bets are off

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Mean Baby posted:

I mean, all you gotta do is watch one game - maybe the one against Wemby - to see why he is a highly touted prospect?

I did see some games Scoot played in where, uhh, he didn't look that great.

That said, he's still a great prospect and would be a #1 overall guy in a bunch of drafts. Hard to compare value to Zion because that's just a question of getting on the floor. He's an MVP-level guy when he's there but if you don't think he can take the NBA stress on his body then Zion is basically worthless.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I'll be really sad if Siakam gets traded since he actually wants to be here. But at the same time I get it, he's pushing 30 and on a different timeline than Scottie and the other young guys. Might as well sell high on him.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

kingcobweb posted:

Hey he’s not that bad. We can trade him with a 3rd overall pick to Reddit for that guy who always posts about Westbrook.

But we already have Metapod here?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Wemby debuts on friday against the hornets, and then wemby vs scoot round 2 is sunday.

https://twitter.com/TheSteinLine/status/1676362344937529346

IcePhoenix posted:

But we already have Metapod here?

lol

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Mean Baby posted:

I don't think anyone is saying that Scoot is anything other than an very promising pick, and it's quite possible he has a better career than Mikal Bridges (maybe wildly better!)

Bridges has the advantage of already proving himself as a great player in the NBA in two fairly different situations in PHX/BKN, Scoot hasn't played a single game of actual NBA basketball yet

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Lockback posted:

I did see some games Scoot played in where, uhh, he didn't look that great.

That said, he's still a great prospect and would be a #1 overall guy in a bunch of drafts. Hard to compare value to Zion because that's just a question of getting on the floor. He's an MVP-level guy when he's there but if you don't think he can take the NBA stress on his body then Zion is basically worthless.

Zion would easily be a top 5 player if he could stay healthy.

I personally think Scoot’s playmaking will translate and will put him in that tier. He reminds me a lot of LeBron in high school with his court vision, speed, and passing ability. He is also clearly a leader. Obviously he won’t be as dominant given the size difference.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Dejan Bimble posted:

Siakim is not a first option so I understand clearing him out, but he also seems to really like Toronto and not want to leave, and those are the guys who ALWAYS get traded

Hell, last time Toronto did just that, they won a championship!

I'd be sad if Pascal was gone, I like his game, seems like a cool guy, and frankly players who contribute that WANT to be Raptors aren't in huge supply. But Ujiri has earned trust, largely.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I can't wait to see how this fails to materialize during his career in Nola.

https://twitter.com/Jim_Eichenhofer/status/1676664901706690562?t=-OD5EM4qJJ-ZJ9IXqd8tEw&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Kyrie Irving’s Stepmom Shetellia Riley Irving Reportedly Set To Become The First Black Woman To Negotiate And Complete An NBA Contract
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/kyrie-irving-stepmom-shetellia-riley-184632770.html

hifi posted:

Were the nuggets actually one of the longest shots to win a ring or is this just theatrics

There were many longer shots e.g. the Bulls as one example. The Bulls have been hovering around a 1 in 1000+ shot to win the title lately.

R.D. Mangles posted:

jim boylen... is BACK

Jim Boylen begins his PSYOP campaign in Indiana.