Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Nice. Anyone care to do a before/after on their FPS with multithread enabled? It'll be a few days before I can check back in on the game myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I did a very basic quick test, staring at the entrance to my ~93 dwarf fort not moving the camera around. I bumped game FPS up to the max limit of 1000 (default is 100) and without multithreading enabled I was getting a pretty consistent 290-300 FPS, switching over to multithreading I was 340-350 FPS range.

Again a very imperfect test and I only switched back and for a few times without controlling for anything else going on in my fort.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I wish I could easily roll back to the previous version and do a similar test to see what it was at before.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Looking forward to the stories of heatstroke and fires caused by this change

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Holy poo poo df with multithreading were all gonna die this is the sign of the end times

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

tokin opposition posted:

Holy poo poo df with multithreading were all gonna die this is the sign of the end times
Strike the earth!

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Steam has the previous version 50.08 as a beta branch. I rolled back to see what FPS I was getting and it hovered around 240-250, going back to the new update without multithreading it is around 290-300 from the same save. I didn't notice much difference reloading the save with multithreading enabled but again this was all pretty limited testing. I think multithreading will make a bigger difference in larger forts and when there is a lot of stuff happening probably not much of a noticeable affect in smaller forts.

Overall the switch from SDL to SDL2 along with other optimizations seems to have boosted performance on average though.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I don't believe we know exactly what parts of the code was made thread-aware, though?

Without knowing that, it's hard to say exactly what'll benefit - but the upgrade to SDL2 is definitely going to be beneficial irrespective of anything else.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
according to putnam it's the line of sight calculations that have been parallelised, as those were previously one of the biggest performance bottlenecks. they tried parallelising temperature calculations as well but couldn't get it to work.

there's supposed to be a bunch of further performance optimisations in this patch beyond just the multithreading though - offloading rendering work to the gpu with sdl2, line of sight calculation optimisations, and using object pooling to optimise memory management

https://www.reddit.com/r/dwarffortress/comments/1374goa/sdl2_public_test_up_on_the_experimental_beta/

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

I've been trying and failing via cavern collapses to make sheer carved walls three layers deep. Can someone explain to me the safest way to make, say, a 3x3x3 room?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

parthenocarpy posted:

I've been trying and failing via cavern collapses to make sheer carved walls three layers deep. Can someone explain to me the safest way to make, say, a 3x3x3 room?

Channel, don't dig. And start from the top and work your way down one layer at a time, for hopefully obvious reasons. You shouldn't need to cause a collapse to achieve what you're describing.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Carve out the room with stairs. This will give you scaffolding to smooth the walls or install statue niches and the like. Once the room is as you like it, channel one layer at a time downward until you reach the floor and use remove stairs to clear the floor.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

7c Nickel posted:

Carve out the room with stairs. This will give you scaffolding to smooth the walls or install statue niches and the like. Once the room is as you like it, channel one layer at a time downward until you reach the floor and use remove stairs to clear the floor.

Brilliant. Thank you so much. There are about fifty issues I've managed to figure out on my own but I kept seriously wounding dwarves trying my own methods here.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The main use of collapses for construction are when you want a wall in a specific place, and either need it to be a non-constructed wall for some reason, or it's in a place that's difficult to build (like underwater)

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

I think I figured out why I had a collapse. First off, I was having an issue with channeling where I'd end up with an "unusable mound" or something to that effect. So I started channeling in wide lines, like 1x15 for a 15x15 room. And before that, what I was doing is channeling huge sections at a time of multiple layers, so multiple dwarves were channeling different levels and some got rocks on them.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Yeah, always channel one layer completely before you start on the next. Dwarves don't have the intelligence to do things in the correct order.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Forget the dwarves. I barely have the intelligence to delegate.

This is extremely my poo poo. Oh, to train a building admin I need to lock him in a room and have him set up constructions that never actually happen? I loved victory dancing in DCSS, bring it on

Mr.Fuzzywig
Dec 13, 2006
I play too much Supcom
For some reason between yesterday and today the game has decided its not playing any sounds anymore. Has anyone experienced this issue on steam? all other sounds work and the game volume isnt set to zero or anything.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

parthenocarpy posted:

I think I figured out why I had a collapse. First off, I was having an issue with channeling where I'd end up with an "unusable mound" or something to that effect. So I started channeling in wide lines, like 1x15 for a 15x15 room. And before that, what I was doing is channeling huge sections at a time of multiple layers, so multiple dwarves were channeling different levels and some got rocks on them.

Unusable ramps aren't a big issue, you can just use the remove ramps/stairs designation to clean them up

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

I think I've succeeded in making elves extinct. At least I think I've knocked over all the elf places.

Though I'm sure theres a few elf refugees scattered around human towns. Which leaves me no other options.

I think I have to make humans extinct too.

(Maybe when I'm done I'll make the other dwarves extinct. Then unplug the gates to the circus.)

duck monster fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Jul 3, 2023

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

I was reading about fluid dynamics and how there are really only two types of fluids in the game. It got me wondering, why is one of the most important systems, alcohol, so simple? It should be possible to generate entire rivers of alcohol

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

I think you can dump liquid containers with some weird combination of forbidding the liquid and dump-designating the container.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Dwarf Fortress is not ready for 1.0 unless we can create a self-serve system for free public wine.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

resistentialism posted:

I think you can dump liquid containers with some weird combination of forbidding the liquid and dump-designating the container.

Putting the liquid on display is by far the easiest way, I think

Flavahbeast posted:

Someone found an elegant solution for removing unwanted water from barrels and bins:

you can then un-designate the liquid on display and it will dump on the ground

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

resistentialism posted:

That just makes an object called a puddle of alcohol. It doesn't behave like a fluid in the same way that water and magma do.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
If I had to guess it would simply be a situation where they judged that performing a check for whether a puddle converts to enough liquid to justify being 1/7th the volume of a tile would be extra overhead for something expected to happen very rarely. From every impression I've ever gotten from reading devlogs or posts from Toady I'd go so far as to say he might have even given thought to the matter when first implementing liquid dynamics and probably he jotted it down on the mental list as a neat feature if it should happen that the dwarven society he was coding ended up spilling a crap ton of alcohol for whatever reason but other than visitors getting too drunk to stand or the occasional combat interruption there's really no way to get dwarves to dump their alcohol without player intervention. So probably it got left off the drawing board for being a niche application.

That said, Toady implemented minecarts and an entire third dimension pretty much on a whim. I am not necessarily ruling out someday having a booze river.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

The GIN OCEAN update.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

River of alcohol is cool, but imagine pools, dunking stuff in them, flavoring...

Except instead of making nice Limoncello, it's going to be goblin-flavored beer

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
I give it 1 hour upon release before someone makes a literal pool of tears.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Telsa Cola posted:

And a week after that to discover a bug wherein the bad thoughts that generate tears stick with them, and transfer to anyone who comes in contact with those tears, leading to literal Swamps of Sadness filled via Tragedy Engines for the mass extraction of tears with the express purpose of depressing invading armies to death.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Telsa Cola posted:

Wouldn't take long, basically everyone in the fortress is always crying.

At least in mine :smith:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Tears of joy, right?

...tears of joy, right?

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Literal cisterns full of blood. Barrel it, sell it, serve it to the vampires.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Blood reseller to armok

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Urist didn't feel anything in particular after being immersed in a Blood Waterfall.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Thinking too small.

With better liquid implemntation you know toady would also add the frozen states of said materials.

Forts made with blood bricks.

Forts made with bricks made from the tears of siegers.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Regarding the tear collection system, is there a certain rock type you want to avoid making the grates out of so the fluid isn't absorbed before collection?

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Melting elves in boiling hot maple syrup

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Grates every few feet outside to collect the cave adaptation vomit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

Bad Munki posted:

And a week after that to discover a bug wherein the bad thoughts that generate tears stick with them, and transfer to anyone who comes in contact with those tears, leading to literal Swamps of Sadness filled via Tragedy Engines for the mass extraction of tears with the express purpose of depressing invading armies to death.

This was already a thing pre-steam. The dead body bad thoughts used to be cascading and bridge-atomized creatures left a corpse marker for thoughts even though there was no physical body to remove. You could make a hallway of atomizers and squish so many goblins in there that any new visitor entering it would immediately get a mental breakdown.