Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Intruder posted:

He'd be first ballot if he retired today

Mike Trout has 85.2 WAR across 13 seasons, including his very short rookie season and this current half of 2023. That still equates to ~6.5 WAR per season, ie in an almost decade and a half career he's average being an MVP candidate every single year. His career slash line is .301/.412/.582 :psyduck:

Again it's kind of funny that Trout is otherwise a fairly milquetoast person who doesn't garner a lot of media attention because he has already put up one of the greatest careers in MLB history and he's still only 31.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

it's only a blister for Ohtani, thank God

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
don’t care as much about the no hitter but holy hell these unis https://vxtwitter.com/milb/status/1676443582092255233?s=46&t=2RtKUZF-7mtwaGnhOLp93A

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

GPTribefan posted:

I know he’s still very young and has a lot of time to get past it, but he’s looking more and more like Danny Salazar 2.0 at this point. Great pitcher, tons of potential, just can’t stay healthy. Here’s hoping he comes back strong in 2024

We ALREADY have a guy with good stuff who can't stay healthy in Civale! We don't need another one!

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Feels weird to say after their decade of dominance but the Dodgers just aren't that incredible this year? Like yeah they're a good team but certainly not the unstoppable super team it feels like they've been in one form or another for a good while. The rotation and pen are actually pretty dire.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Welcome to the new age of Diamondback Dominance

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

mdemone posted:

Diamond Kings Bo Jackson #1, mint condition

Yoooooo

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Ohtani was wearing an acrylic nail, and in discomfort the whole time. His fastball was averaging something like 95mph while dipping to 92mph.

Still, he did Ohtani things and made it to the sixth only giving up two runs. He said he couldn't properly grip the ball, yet still punched out Soto twice, and worked out of runners on the corners with NO OUTS out by punching out Machado and Soto.

He had not business going back out for the sixth, where he gave up back to back homers.

He isn't pitching in the All Star Game, thank God. I love to see stars in that game, but dude needs to rest. He'll eventually have a Cy Young season, but probably needs to be kept on a leash when pitching early in the season.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

MrMidnight posted:

Add Altuve to injury list. Hurt during batting practice

More oblique discomfort, which isn’t encouraging since it’s his second time dealing with it since returning from his broken thumb.

Astros are having some Angels like injury luck this year, but luckily they also have tapped into the Cardinals devil magic of getting solid seasons out of guys not on anyone’s radar before the year and staying afloat.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
At least the ASB is about to be here. Sucks to have to play the M's while crippled but it's just 4 games plus one against the Rockies and Abreu is Back so maybe it'll be ok. I'd be fine with a split against the M's, better would be great

Abreu since June 1: .301/.328/.531

Would love to see that OBP come up a bit

Intruder fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Jul 5, 2023

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
I've always believed, especially after the Nationals/Braves World Series Wins and Phillies appearance, that being close to .500 at the ASG means a team is still alive. If you're much below .450, things are hosed.

With that said, let's look at the teams who are dead or on life support.

The Cardinals are the only real surprise out of the bunch.

That A's run differential is the stuff of legend.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

MrMidnight posted:

Add Altuve to injury list. Hurt during batting practice

That dude has the worst luck this year

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

After one atrocious FCL start and one good AA start? The move smacks of desperation to me. Apparently they think that the Blue Jays season is still salvageable, and are just hoping he's better. I guess we'll see, but so far the season has had a whole bunch of moments loudly proclaiming "they're back" only to shortly prove that they are not back.

Agree 100%

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Intruder posted:

At least the ASB is about to be here. Sucks to have to play the M's while crippled but it's just 4 games plus one against the Rockies and Abreu is Back so maybe it'll be ok. I'd be fine with a split against the M's, better would be great

The M's just staggered their way back to .500 for what seems like the 20th time. Astros good for three at least, with roughly a 70% chance of a sweep just because.

Speaking of frustrating teams that tread water and make being a fan a freaking non-stop chore....
Is there any way of finding THE MOST .500 TEAM?

Looking at the schedule, at one point the M's have been:

42-42
37-37
35-35
34-34
33-33
30-30
29-29
24-24
21-21
20-20
19-19
18-18
17-17
8-8
1-1

15 times in 84 games. That's probably not even very high. Assuming a maximum of being at .500 81 times in a 162 game season, any way of finding what team pulled it off the most times in a year?

EDit - quick google. The 1959 Cub were at .500 35 times.

Tony Phillips fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jul 5, 2023

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Just catching up on yesterday's game: Ian Happ owns. The Cubs' bullpen: not so much.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Sydin posted:

Feels weird to say after their decade of dominance but the Dodgers just aren't that incredible this year? Like yeah they're a good team but certainly not the unstoppable super team it feels like they've been in one form or another for a good while. The rotation and pen are actually pretty dire.

It's the same situation as the Astros - two teams devastated by injuries. It's honestly impressive both teams are ~10 games over .500 when they've lost... Eight starting pitchers between them? Nearly a dozen hitters?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Kirios posted:

It's the same situation as the Astros - two teams devastated by injuries. It's honestly impressive both teams are ~10 games over .500 when they've lost... Eight starting pitchers between them? Nearly a dozen hitters?

Dustin May and Lance McCullers even had to have the same procedure

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Kirios posted:

I dunno about Houston but the Dodgers were clearly lacking depth this winter and explicitly did not address it. This season is so far playing out about as was expected. Injuries always happen, the difference is that this roster isn't able to absorb them the way it could the past 5 or 6 years.

I shouldn't be annoyed because again, this is about what was expected (Fangraphs initially projected the Dodgers to win 88 games and now projects them to win 90), but it is still frustrating to watch this team just not address obvious flaws and then be predictably mediocre as a result.

But hey, maybe they'll get hot at just the right time, cause baseball is weird and dumb.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jul 5, 2023

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

bawfuls posted:

I dunno about Houston but the Dodgers were clearly lacking depth this winter and explicitly did not address it. This season is so far playing out about as was expected. Injuries always happen, the difference is that this roster isn't able to absorb them the way it could the past 5 or 6 years.

I shouldn't be annoyed because again, this is about what was expected (Fangraphs initially projected the Dodgers to win 88 games and now projects them to win 90), but it is still frustrating to watch this team just not address obvious flaws and then be predictably mediocre as a result.

But hey, maybe they'll get hot at just the right time, cause baseball is weird and dumb.

Their bullpen seems awful, but I've not checked the numbers.

It's painful, because my father is a spoiled Dodger's fan who is used to them being dominant.

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.

Tony Phillips posted:

Speaking of frustrating teams that tread water and make being a fan a freaking non-stop chore....

15 times in 84 games. That's probably not even very high. Assuming a maximum of being at .500 81 times in a 162 game season, any way of finding what team pulled it off the most times in a year?

Ok someone feel free to check my work, but the Twins are at 10 times. HOWEVER! They were over .500 all season until June 7th. So at least 10 times in a month.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Captain Log posted:

Their bullpen seems awful, but I've not checked the numbers.

It's painful, because my father is a spoiled Dodger's fan who is used to them being dominant.
...did your father just start watching the Dodgers in 2017?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The Yankees are right there with the Dodgers and Astros in terms of history and still maintaining the competitive record. Rodon is due to make his season debut on Friday and Cortes has started rehab. Severino is a big question at this stage and I could see him moving to the pen for a bit if they have enough starters. The bullpen's been great. Judge is still a question mark but he has been hitting off a tea and jogging which is something. The offense seems to be coming around without him. Stanton doesn't look off balance anymore and is starting to kill baseballs again. Volpe has adjusted his stance and is exciting again. Gleyber, Rizzo, and Bader are producing as is oddly IKF. DJLM sadly remains lost with no one offering any suggestions as to why. But things are definitely looking better although obviously the shadow of Judge's injury is looming over everything and its hard to see them winning in the postseason without him. Which is almost certainly why the Yankees are playing it so safe with his injury and not rushing anything. But just a nervous waiting game.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The Yankees have 2 guys in the lineup with an OBP over 320. You're painting a very optimistic picture of what the offense is. Even with Judge it's middle of the league at best.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/1676638095381331977

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't watch sports to be miserable and boo and yell so yeah, I'm not discounting players seeming to turn it around and play better because they played poorly before they turned it around. That's kind of how that works.

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.

jfc, cut him

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

humpthewind posted:

jfc, cut him

The last domestic abuser they kept on the roster just threw a perfecto

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

What a shithead.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Wander Franco is an all-star (replacing Judge) :toot:

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

NGL STAC propping up the Yankee bullpen only for one of their relivers to immediately get suspended for the season is pretty funny.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

On top of that, this Judge toe issue looks like it will linger for years and he's currently only running at 10%. Tough day for the fans

https://www.pinstripealley.com/plat...s-randy-vasquez

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Judge Toe sounds like a Mad Max character.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

R.D. Mangles posted:

Judge Toe sounds like a Mad Max character.

One of Cormac McCarthy's rare misses

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

zoux posted:

This is a reliever with a sub-1 career WAR. There isn't even a baseball reason

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

zoux posted:

Which has literally no relevance for how good he is. German is not a good pitcher and the only reason he's still around is because he is relatively cheap and durable (these aren't a justification for having not relasing him IMO)

Cordero should be released

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

MrMidnight posted:

On top of that, this Judge toe issue looks like it will linger for years and he's currently only running at 10%. Tough day for the fans

https://www.pinstripealley.com/plat...s-randy-vasquez

Stop jerking off.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Stop jerking off.

Turn your monitor on

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Forrest on Fire posted:

Turn your monitor on

this doesn't make sense... why would I, a yankee fan, be jerking off to getting bad news on Judge?

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
It's between 9-5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

mcmagic posted:

this doesn't make sense... why would I, a yankee fan, be jerking off to getting bad news on Judge?

So much more to complain about.