Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

amigolupus posted:

Thinking about the latest chapter some more, I can see a few ways it plays out:

- Aqua's up to his old fuckboi antics yet again. He knew/suspected that Ruby was Sarina quite some time ago, yet only chose to reveal it when she's this emotionally vulnerable. He's probably hoping this will make Ruby more amenable to his plan, which I guess might involve having Kana take over the role of Ai?

I think he had suspicions, but the keychain made it definitive.

Also, I feel that he is trying to push her away from revenge and completely remove her from the equation altogether. Everything he's done up to this point has been for the sake of avenging Ai, only because he feels that is specifically his cross to bear. He knows deep down that this is going to end with him either broken or dead (you can tell by the way he was devastated after finding out that the killer isn't actually dead and that he would have to resume the hunt). He wants Ruby to pursue her dream while he works in the shadows.

My prediction is that he's going to tell her to focus on her dream and her part as Ai, honoring her legacy by being the best drat Ai she can be, while he redeems the sins of the past. I'm going to go on a limb and say that he's going to tell Akane about the whole reincarnation thing, and she's going to believe him. I don't want to make assumptions that are too crazy, but my brain goes to them confronting the bad guy together and her going into full Ai mode, convincing the bad guy that she's still alive in spirit, which messes him up. We'll see, though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Aqua has been trying to keep everyone else away from his revenge since the beginning, not sure why everyone buys into his "bwahaha I'm a ruthless manipulator" act so easily every single time.

theGrooseofLegend
Dec 29, 2013
My personal theory is that Aqua's transparently acting like an rear end in a top hat manipulator to burn every bridge so that no one feels bad when he disappears/dies. Aqua telling himself Ruby leaving him after breaking the secret is "necessary for her to live without me" implies to me that Aqua is gonna commit murder/suicide.

I think Akane wants to stop Aqua's plan because she realizes this and obviously doesn't want him to die

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
are there people who don't think that's what he's doing?

it's extremely obvious he really cares about everyone but also knows his plan will result in him likely dying/being locked away forever so he wants to make sure nobody will be hurt by him achieving his goal. of course he doesn't understand that almost no matter what he does it's not going to make people not care about him.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Oshi oh No what are you doing

FrozenPhoenix71
Jan 9, 2019
Aka no

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Ruby step away from the ledge.

Mautr
Sep 8, 2008
yikes Aka

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Can't say I didn't see this coming.

Exia
Feb 12, 2014
Aka made fun of these types of things a bunch in Kaguya, and I think Ruby’s crush/devotion to Gorou is something that was gonna need to be dealt with at some point. I’m sure Aka has no actual plans to go down this path, but I am sure he enjoys seeing peoples reactions

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i cant believe someones being unhealthy and weird in oshi no ko

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Exia posted:

Aka made fun of these types of things a bunch in Kaguya, and I think Ruby’s crush/devotion to Gorou is something that was gonna need to be dealt with at some point. I’m sure Aka has no actual plans to go down this path, but I am sure he enjoys seeing peoples reactions

Dropping this and then immediately going on a break makes this obviously a troll job by Aka.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
:sickos:

drat and that dude got probated simply for accurately predicting the next chapter last week smh.

Free the Homie

edit: I say this because yeah, this probably(*hopefully*) isn't how it ends up going.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Whoa whoa hol' up

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

im pretty sure the flash forwards from earlier in the series already confirm they arent going down this route anyway

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Mraagvpeine posted:

Can't say I didn't see this coming.

I think someone for probated for guessing exactly this.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

STOP IT AKA

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Don't hate on his decisions if you're only ever going to be cryptic, crow lady

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I like how nobody posted the chapter link

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1017035

Anyways it's not a surprising turn, given that this is a messy drama, it just depends on how the characters react to it, and will likely create further conflict for the cast.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

SpacePig posted:

I think someone for probated for guessing exactly this.

The Cassandra of our age.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
BAD MOVE

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
Aka is a loving madman and it rules.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Please pretend I posted a gif of Caim's disgusted reaction face from Drakengard. You know the one.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

I cannot imagine reading this chapter and having any takeaway other than lmao aqua cannot stop taking advantage of every single person who remotely loves him for his own purposes

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Apollo, the gift of prophecy, etc. Ruby fans, we're in the dark ages.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

TheFlyingLlama posted:

I cannot imagine reading this chapter and having any takeaway other than lmao aqua cannot stop taking advantage of every single person who remotely loves him for his own purposes

Yes, but also I took Crow Girl's musing as Aqua actually hosed up and let the mask drop inadvertently. The original plan was clearly making everyone detest him so no one cares when he does his murder/suicide or whatever, but now Ruby knows who he was and extremely cares about him again.

edit: I mean I guess he could still be on some 5D chess manipulation poo poo with what's happening right now I don't know

marumaru
May 20, 2013

:stare:

e: guys why are her clothes different in the beginning of the chapter and the end. what the gently caress

marumaru fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jul 5, 2023

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

marumaru posted:

:stare:

e: guys why are her clothes different in the beginning of the chapter and the end. what the gently caress

She leaves the room while Aqua is talking to the crow. She then changed clothes.

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Endorph posted:

i cant believe someones being unhealthy and weird in oshi no ko

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah Aqua is not going to return those feelings.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
This is the first time I've read Oshi no Ko beyond the first chapter, and man, I loving burst into laughter upon reading the last page.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

SpacePig posted:

She leaves the room while Aqua is talking to the crow. She then changed clothes.

oh phew dude

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Oshi nooooooooo Ko

marumaru
May 20, 2013

oshi oh no

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Oh. Oh my, that’s gross.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Man, I just can't get a handle on this series. It'll do something light and funny and then swerve into some really uncomfortable territories.

I still trust Aka but I have no idea where he's taking us on this trip.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
I told you all!

Also, I'm fine with the supernatural reincarnation stuff.
But I'm not into the actual talking crow spirit in the middle of all this. And I played SMT games, so i know about crows already.

perfect chapter title. Noticed I haven't actually been looking at what the title of each chapter has been for a long while.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

GateOfD posted:

But I'm not into the actual talking crow spirit in the middle of all this.

yeah that honestly just feels really cheap imo

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
the reincarnation thing is a fine hook into the series, and I think it would have been good if that was all it was. but then the series keeps jamming in this cryptic godchild steering them smugly along and it always feels bad to me, like it's a different series.

it reminds me of My Wife Has No Emotion, where it's set in a world on the cusp of full blown androids, relatively "realistic" and grounded, and then like 50 chapters in it has this strange one-off chapter with a literal space alien that's shaped like a human head with octopus legs/tentacles coming out of it. and you're like "oh that's weird, but haha that's a funny what-if sort of extra chapter!" and then a bit later there's multiple more chapters with it. and it isn't no-name side characters but interacting with main characters. and you're like "oh no what are you doing author"

that's how the godchild makes me feel, that the series could have just been excellent with this reincarnation premise, but it keeps veering into having a literal manifestation of a god loving around directly with the characters in an otherwise pretty normal setting where they are entirely unnecessary. like aka feels the need to have an explanation for the reincarnation rather than just being like "yeah that's how it starts and that's it" which I would have been totally fine with tbh

also yeah don't like Ruby going that route in this chapter but I suppose this was an issue that needed dealing with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

last week: YESSSSS FINALLY WOOOO HELL YEAH

this week:

RuBisCO posted:

Oshi oh No what are you doing

I trust Aka, this is going to be good - the crow thing is eh though