Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Fragrag posted:

New Hitman level looks really good

The train level sucked though so I don't know why they would do it again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
This story from the NY times is interesting. They interview a captured Russian soldier who talks in detail on what the experience was like going from a Russian prison to the front lines. It could all be an elaborate piece of propaganda stages by the Ukrainians, but it does sound like how I would expect the Russians would operate.

In particular I find the lack of food provided to be a sign on worsening Russian logistics.

https://news.yahoo.com/dig-dig-dig-russian-soldier-114309653.html

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Ynglaur posted:

https://www.ft.com/content/c5ce76df-9b1b-4dfc-a619-07da1d40cbd3

I'll risk the probe for Clancychat since it's the Financial Times doing Clancychat. They don't cite sources (for obvious reasons), but if true this is pretty significant. I think we've suspected this for a while but I haven't seen it reported in the past year-and-a-half: apparently the US, UK, and France told Russia very directly that if Russia used tactical nuclear weapons then NATO would hit Russian forces directly with conventional weapons. That's kind of a big deal. (And yes, FT kind of buried the lede.)

I remember seeing this reported but can't find the exact details now - it was around a year ago, in various mainstream papers, I saw it in the Guardian I think. The message was the same: ultimatum to Russia that if they use nuclear weapons, various NATO countries will directly intervene, with conventional weapons only.

This seems like the kind of message that would be more effective if it were more officially communicated, but I'm not a diplomatic expert

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

https://www.iaea.org/newscenter/pressreleases/update-171-iaea-director-general-statement-on-situation-in-ukraine

New IAEA update, requesting additional access to check the mining reports

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

I don't know if I should feel relieved that the IAEA is taking Ukraine's claims seriously enough to investigate or nervous that the on site investigators couldn't immediately go verify explosives being on the roofs.

I think there are only two people on site, so I don't imagine they are able to monitor everything with a daily walkthrough, but not having full freedom of movement in the facility was a surprise to me at least.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

WarpedLichen posted:

I don't know if I should feel relieved that the IAEA is taking Ukraine's claims seriously enough to investigate or nervous that the on site investigators couldn't immediately go verify explosives being on the roofs.

I think there are only two people on site, so I don't imagine they are able to monitor everything with a daily walkthrough, but not having full freedom of movement in the facility was a surprise to me at least.

I mean, it is a war zone.

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Can we still report people for JAQ and disingenuous posting, then? Because this was a very strange development from "wow, I sure do wonder why my American friends are so excited about Ukraine" to "why are people being mean to this specific theory of international relations that incidentally is trumpeted by anglophone pro-Russians?"

Yes, if someone is being disingenuous that is bad faith and an offense in D&D. Please direct further questions to my PMs.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

WarpedLichen posted:

IIRC they don't even have access to onsite sensors. All the numbers are told to them by russians.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Couple of weird/interesting headlines that popped up:

Reuters and AFP tell that one person died and two were injured in a Kyiv district court explosion. The interior minister says that a man had walked into the court with an explosive device and blown himself up, injuring two cops. By the sound of it it's not directly related to the war, although I don't have any peace time district court explosions stats at hand right now.

Bloomberg says, using anonymous European intelligence sources, that Russia doesn't want to do another mobilisation. Instead, they will send more Chechens to Ukraine to fill the vacuum left by Wagner. When Wagner withdrew from Bakhmut Russia had to send replacements from other front sectors, which had already been suffering from staff shortages. Then the Wagner mutiny and sending Wagnerites to Belarus has worsened the situation. My take is that as Wagner was a much more proficient fighting force than average mobik units, Russia needs far more conscripted men to replace their "weight". Kadyrovites have a reputation as capable fighters, despite what their TikTok videos make you think.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Nenonen posted:

Couple of weird/interesting headlines that popped up:

Reuters and AFP tell that one person died and two were injured in a Kyiv district court explosion. The interior minister says that a man had walked into the court with an explosive device and blown himself up, injuring two cops. By the sound of it it's not directly related to the war, although I don't have any peace time district court explosions stats at hand right now.

It's weirder than that. Supposedly it's the person who is on trial for throwing a grenade at the crowd at protest near parliament who did it, which raises some WTF-level questions of how someone like that brought in explosives to their own trial.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

jaete posted:

This seems like the kind of message that would be more effective if it were more officially communicated, but I'm not a diplomatic expert

This is actually the way a lot of government-to-government messages are communicated, especially if you know it's something the other side doesn't want to hear.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Fragrag posted:

New Hitman level looks really good

Level progression is too strongly on rails though, only really one way to go

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Moon Slayer posted:

This is actually the way a lot of government-to-government messages are communicated, especially if you know it's something the other side doesn't want to hear.

Mm, that's interesting.

Found some related articles:
From 22 Sep 2022: https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2022/09/22/russia-nuclear-threat-us-options/
From Oct 2022: https://www.iiss.org/online-analysis/online-analysis/2022/10/russia-is-unlikely-to-use-nuclear-weapons-in-ukraine

So USA has warned Russia previously against using nuclear weapons, also in private according to Washington Post. Second link has some additional analysis.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

And reporting that the external power line has been reconnecting, which is certainly good news.

RockWhisperer
Oct 26, 2018
The Economist: Technology is deepening civilian involvement in war

quote:

Not uncommonly for total wars, the civilian-military distinction has broken down. “A huge role was played by the local population,” says General Nikolyuk. Locals hid mobile phones from Russian troops and revealed the location of their equipment by dropping virtual pins on Google Maps (a dedicated government app, eVorog, now offers a way for civilians to pass on intelligence).

quote:

Britain’s chief of defence intelligence at the outset of the invasion, armies tried to make every soldier and platform a sensor. “What’s happened is that so many people have become sensors.”

^ Interesting article y'all

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

jaete posted:

Mm, that's interesting.

Found some related articles:
From 22 Sep 2022: https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2022/09/22/russia-nuclear-threat-us-options/
From Oct 2022: https://www.iiss.org/online-analysis/online-analysis/2022/10/russia-is-unlikely-to-use-nuclear-weapons-in-ukraine

So USA has warned Russia previously against using nuclear weapons, also in private according to Washington Post. Second link has some additional analysis.

A huge amount of very serious international diplomacy is conducted through informal back channels; pulling someone aside at a conference, passing each other in the hallway at an embassy function, being next to each other at urinals in the men's room ...

source: had a college professor who was a retired State Department North Korea expert and would cancel classes on Friday to fly to New York to meet with the North Korean delegation to the UN. They'd go out to a pizza joint or a sushi place and he'd pass along whatever the White House or State wanted them to be made aware of.

edit: also if it's something that the other side isn't going to like doing it that way prevents everyone from getting into a performative tit-for-tat where they have to kick out a bunch of diplomats on both sides or other such nonsense.

Moon Slayer fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jul 5, 2023

Radio Prune
Feb 19, 2010
Zhenya content

https://twitter.com/clashreport/status/1676708216938328065

https://twitter.com/michaelh992/status/1676657987367084056

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

The mobile app thing was shocking at first, makes sense in the 2020’s though. Same thing happened to us in Iraq (and I’m sure Vietnam and Afghanistan) without a standing government to coordinate it and is just a fact of life when you invade a country. Nobody who lives there wants that poo poo, and pretty much no one wants to die over it either for obvious reasons. Plenty of ways to help though, technology turbocharging it is really interesting.

Although I doubt it, I wish that this would at least teach governments all over the world that the juice of protracted urban combat and full on invasions of countries isn’t worth the squeeze.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Christ, post-soviet Russia is so tacky.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

https://twitter.com/kromark/status/1676717262911205378?t=YE_mTlENd5J0GcjxgEZvXg

It seems Ukraine's statements about the mining of the roof of the ZNPP are not totally unfounded. Recent satellite images show new objects on the roof of power unit 4 placed there after July 3rd. Ukraine explicitly named units 3 and 4 as those that've been mined, and no other objects like that have been spotted on the roofs until now (even before the war). However, they could be something like EW, we cannot tell from the images.

The idea behind explosives on the roof would be to create the appearance of shelling coming from the outside. I think it's also important to note these objects are on the generator halls, and not the containment dome.

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jul 6, 2023

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

What's the text on the sledgehammer?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

What's the text on the sledgehammer?

"In case of important negotiations".
(Huh, clicking on the link worked for me).

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Ynglaur posted:

https://twitter.com/noclador/status/1676278761342345216

While Thomas Theiner is definitely on the optimistic side of OSINT analysts, he's also been fairly realistic in terms of expectations and timing. That is, his optimism is mostly in the long-term, and his adjectives tend to be more grandiose than the specifics of his predictions. At any rate, this is a good thread for anyone wondering why the Ukrainian offensive seems to be taking as long as it is, what it might mean, etc. Personally, I'd call the current phase "Phase 2", or I'd add a "Phase 0" to his model to reflect shaping operations prior to the current broad-based attritional, pressuring fight, but it's a decent analysis.

I'd note, too, that Ukraine is in some ways out-Sovieting the Russians. Part of the Red Army's doctrine was to launch offensives on very broad fronts, and use that to identify a weak point, and then slam that weak point with a heavy force.

It's funny, dozens of ex-military and FP think tank writers were basically posting long threads about the exact same thing more or less, with different wording along with some version of 'everything is fine'. I am just wondering how they are measuring the success level when I am unsure how much extra info they have over OSINT in terms of losses and exchange rates wrt to the key systems being talked about. Some of the more cynical comments rightly point out that when the Russians were doing the attacking and getting bogged down in places like Bakhmut, the slow pace was just Russian incompetence etc etc, when the reality seems to be both sides have entrenched heavily and both sides are finding it very hard to sustain offensive operations. While the Russians have been more....carefree in terms of their manpower expenditures, they are not unique with older Ukrainians also showing up on the front lines and documented cases of poorly trained Territorial brigades being sent in during the winter to try and hold Bakhmut.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

OddObserver posted:

"In case of important negotiations".
(Huh, clicking on the link worked for me).

Yeah me too. Looks like Elon paid his google bill.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
https://www.newsweek.com/2023/07/21/exclusive-cias-blind-spot-about-ukraine-war-1810355.html

quote:

"Don't underestimate the Biden administration's priority to keep Americans out of harm's way and reassure Russia that it doesn't need to escalate," the senior intelligence officer says. "Is the CIA on the ground inside Ukraine?" he asks rhetorically. "Yes, but it's also not nefarious."

quote:

"In some ironic ways though, the meeting was highly successful," says the second senior intelligence official, who was briefed on it. Even though Russia invaded, the two countries were able to accept tried and true rules of the road. The United States would not fight directly nor seek regime change, the Biden administration pledged. Russia would limit its assault to Ukraine and act in accordance with unstated but well-understood guidelines for secret operations.

"There are clandestine rules of the road," says the senior defense intelligence official, "even if they are not codified on paper, particularly when one isn't engaged in a war of annihilation." This includes staying within day-to-day boundaries of spying, not crossing certain borders and not attacking each other's leadership or diplomats. "Generally the Russians have respected these global red lines, even if those lines are invisible," the official says.

quote:

Now, more than a year after the invasion, the United States sustains two massive networks, one public and the other clandestine. Ships deliver goods to ports in Belgium, the Netherlands, Germany and Poland, and those supplies are moved by truck, train and air to Ukraine. Clandestinely though, a fleet of commercial aircraft (the "grey fleet") crisscrosses Central and Eastern Europe, moving arms and supporting CIA operations. The CIA asked Newsweek not to identify specific bases where this network is operating, nor to name the contractor operating the planes. The senior administration official said much of the network had been successfully kept under wraps, and that it was wrong to assume that Russian intelligence knows the details of the CIA's efforts. Washington believes that If the supply route were known, Russia would attack the hubs and routes, the official said.

quote:

"The CIA learned with the attack on the Crimea bridge that Zelensky either didn't have complete control over his own military or didn't want to know of certain actions," says the military intelligence official.

quote:

A senior Polish government official told Newsweek that it might be impossible to convince Kyiv to abide by the non-agreement it made to keep the war limited. "In my humble opinion, the CIA fails to understand the nature of the Ukrainian state and the reckless factions that exist there," says the Polish official, who requested anonymity in order to speak candidly.

Good article that tell you a lot about what the CIA is doing wants to be known it is doing in Ukraine.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

drat those "reckless factions" that don't want to comply with CIA guidelines

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Isn’t Newsweek a crank brand coasting on its old print reputation these days?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Yeah, the Ukrainians are the ones breaking all the rules here! Sure! That sounds right! Let's go with that, comrade!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

whydirt posted:

Isn’t Newsweek a crank brand coasting on its old print reputation these days?

Yes, it is.

Bizarre Echo
Jul 1, 2011

"I am pleased that we have differences. May we together become greater than the sum of both of us."
Where in the world is Yevgeny Prigozhin?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Stuck around St. Petersburg
When I saw it was a time for a change
Killed the Tsar and his ministers....

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Hannibal Rex posted:

https://www.newsweek.com/2023/07/21/exclusive-cias-blind-spot-about-ukraine-war-1810355.html
Good article that tell you a lot about what the CIA is doing wants to be known it is doing in Ukraine.

As others have said, Newsweek went off the rails after WaPo sold it.

https://www.splcenter.org/hatewatch/2022/11/04/newsweek-embraces-anti-democracy-hard-right

quote:

Although opinion pages in ostensibly nonpartisan, mainstream publications promote political opinions, sometimes controversial ones, Newsweek stands alone among such brands in its willingness to elevate such figures as Jack Posobiec, known for promoting the Pizzagate disinformation campaign, and Dinesh D’Souza, whose film 2000 Mules researchers roundly debunked for spreading conspiracies about the 2020 election. Under Hammer’s leadership, Newsweek has also aired bigoted views, like appearing to call for the state to deny adults access to trans-affirming medical care and supporting a ban on all legal immigration into the U.S. They have also spread baseless conspiracies about COVID-19, with one of Hammer’s collaborators describing vaccines designed to fight the virus as a “bioweapon.”

Newsweek has also failed to disclose potential conflicts of interest emerging in the content published through Hammer’s opinion section and his Newsweek-branded podcast, “The Josh Hammer Show.” Hammer donated to the campaign of Arizona U.S. Senate candidate Blake Masters and at least four times published the work of a man who ran one of Masters’ fundraisers. On his podcast, Hammer told Newsweek’s audience to “go ahead and vote for Blake Masters.” Hammer also promoted hard-right Hungarian leader Viktor Orbán in a Newsweek dispatch authored from Hungary, without disclosing that he arrived there in collaboration with a group directly affiliated with the Hungarian government. Hammer also claims membership in a number of reactionary activist groups, and regularly publishes people who are also affiliated with them. He will appear on behalf of the New York Young Republican Club alongside Posobiec and QAnon influencer-turned-congressperson Marjorie Taylor Greene in December.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah, the Ukrainians are the ones breaking all the rules here! Sure! That sounds right! Let's go with that, comrade!

Intelligence services running targeted assassinations and sabotage missions (if you can call hiring unsuspecting drivers to deliver explosives that) and covering under deniability by not getting authorization from the President should be concerning.

:ironicat: granted it is CIA complaining and, welp, Newsweek is trash as mentioned above

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Mr. Apollo posted:

As others have said, Newsweek went off the rails after WaPo sold it.

Yeah, thanks. Maybe a warning sign that William Arkin is coasting off his former reputation.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

do we know if that kerch bridge guy realized he was a suicide bomber?

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

i say swears online posted:

do we know if that kerch bridge guy realized he was a suicide bomber?

No, and doubt we'll find out for many years if ever. Makhir Yusubov was the driver and the vehicle was owned by Samir Yusubov, his ... nephew? There is no clear evidence he was a willing Ukrainian agent, except that circumstantially whoever triggered the bomb had impeccable timing, so either the driver did it, someone driving at the same time had eyes on it, or it was remotely detonated by an INCREDIBLY lucky person with a GPS tracker, in that a fuel train was just so happening to pass by at the same time.

E: Here's a pretty good, as far as I can tell, summary: https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/who-really-blew-up-the-kerch-bridge/ which makes the case that the driver was murdered.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jul 6, 2023

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008
https://twitter.com/zhgun/status/1676951211373895680

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Saladman posted:

No, and doubt we'll find out for many years if ever. Makhir Yusubov was the driver and the vehicle was owned by Samir Yusubov, his ... nephew? There is no clear evidence he was a willing Ukrainian agent, except that circumstantially whoever triggered the bomb had impeccable timing, so either the driver did it, someone driving at the same time had eyes on it, or it was remotely detonated by an INCREDIBLY lucky person with a GPS tracker, in that a fuel train was just so happening to pass by at the same time.

E: Here's a pretty good, as far as I can tell, summary: https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/who-really-blew-up-the-kerch-bridge/ which makes the case that the driver was murdered.

I think it's pretty clear that he wasn't in on it. One argument I've seen is that he'd have switched to the inner lane if he wanted to do the most damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

Yeah it really feels like the driver and the couple killed in a car were just victims.