Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

sexy tiger boobs posted:

We don't need satellites. If it happens it was Russia.

Oh yeah absolutely. But it would be nice to have some kind of video proof even though the people who believe that it wasn't Russia wouldn't believe the video proof anyway.

I'm just saying, there's going to be absolute proof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Samovar posted:

While... I don't want to devolve things into needless slapfighting (so why the hell am I writing this then, huh?) and while I agree the first point is absolute pants-on-heads lunacy, the second point... Has precedence.

Though I am more than certain that tankies would be pointing at completely unhinged pieces of evidence to prove it.

I called out that particular statement because is specifically popular as a gaslighting method by the parts of the left that want to excuse why they (and the theoretically leftist parties they support/defend) have such a spotty record of attacking fascism themselves. To be fair, the only fascists that leftists/centrists/liberals/whatever can really be relied on fight are the ones that have bloodied them first, and furthermore none of them fight any harder than the other once they know they're in an existiential fight. For example, lot of liberals in the Nazi era played much nicer with the Nazis then anyone should have before and after the war, though at the same time most of the claims of "fought the leftists as hard as the Nazis" glosses over that many of the leftist groups described themselves as existiential threats to the existing democratic order as much as they were to capitalism, and it wasn't idle speech by powerless fringe elements: authoritarian "leftist" regimes were first out the gate in overturning governments, getting taken over from within by bandits, and doing mass killings. And of course the one time, the biggest time when it mattered, authoritarian leftists eventually fought back against the fascists who had attacked them, by joining into an existing coalition of liberals, conservatives, and actual antifascist leftists who had been fighting them for some time already.

The main point is that the lens where leftism, particularly authoritarian leftism, displays any kind of unique or consistent opposition to fascism or where liberalism has any sort of unique or consistent capitulation to it is a dishonest one. More than that, it's a deliberate lie long cultivated by the parts of the left with the most skeletons to hide. When it's recited as a known fact there's usually other bullshit nearby.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Force de Fappe posted:

Medieval Chechen warrior: "Aaight, guess I'm gonna leave my hill fort egalitarian homestead and defeat the Mongol hordes for the second time as the only people in history"

Kadyrovites: dude put me in the tiktok too

Lol @ the googly eyes

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

Icochet posted:

Medieval night vision: can't see poo poo

knight vision was a freebie right there

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

steinrokkan posted:

Lol @ the googly eyes

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer

Icept posted:

knight vision was a freebie right there

Nah

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Remember, liberals will always ally with fascists to crush leftism... which is why we leftists need to ally with the fascists first to crush the liberals!

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

*Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact intensifies*

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
I'm hearing 2 brigades have already been knocked out and need to be merged. I have zero footage to back this up but trust me bro!

I loving love tankies

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Coolguye posted:

"locals"

i'd need some convincing that anyone outside of the conflict zone cares about cancer risks in 5 years, or the welfare of any civilians for that matter.

Hurr durr

I assume you're all in favor of increased war materiel and support for Ukraine, to push the Russians out faster, so that ecological impact assessment and repair can occur? This is the official Ukrainian "local" position re: the dam.

Do you think all of the post-war rebuilding will be left to the "locals", instead of being cynical about the influence of and role that international money organizations will play?

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

the holy poopacy posted:

Remember, liberals will always ally with fascists to crush leftism... which is why we leftists need to ally with the fascists first to crush the liberals!

It just makes sense, -Sun Tzu :hmmyes:

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Damned liberals, they ruined liberalism!

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Are people not aware that radiation travels on wind via particulates or something? That's the only thing I can think of for why someone would think nobody outside the immediate conflict zone would not care about increased health risks and radioactivity

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

HonorableTB posted:

Are people not aware that radiation travels on wind via particulates or something? That's the only thing I can think of for why someone would think nobody outside the immediate conflict zone would not care about increased health risks and radioactivity

From the intelligence that the Russian government is displaying, they probably don't understand the practical reasons why chemical weapons are banned. Because a change in the weather can just as easily turn it back on you.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

HonorableTB posted:

You'd think enough people would have been recommended that "It will keep spreading its poison until the whole continent is dead" Chernobyl scene on YouTube by this point to Get It

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

I heard putin is going to drop a "dirty bomb" (a poo poo) on "kiev" (his pants), for "real this time" (again).

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Pretty dope:

https://twitch.tv/spacemanlive

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

Toxic Mental posted:

You'd think enough people would have been recommended that "It will keep spreading its poison until the whole continent is dead" Chernobyl scene on YouTube by this point to Get It

Yeah but that was due to continued fissioning, exposed core pile burning and other stuff. Consider Fukushima, definitely a nuclear disaster but not "Japan would be uninhabitable but for a tremendous effort and two enormous sarcophagi"

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

HonorableTB posted:

It's not that actors like India and China don't care at all. I don't think any country actively likes the idea of a nuclear incident of any kind happening anywhere (either a powerplant 'accident', or someone breaking the nuclear weapons taboo).

But if the main fallout (pun intended) is thousands of KM away from you, and primarily or only really impacts snooty countries (some of who oppressed you in the past and are still a bit racist to you), and who are closely allied to your main rival, there are going to questions as to whether such countries really care enough to significantly change foreign policy course. Especially if Russia manages to throws out enough misinformation, noise and and propaganda to create the impression of doubt and uncertainty about what exactly happened.

And this applies even more so if taking any real action (beyond thoughts and prayers, or both sides) means lining alongside your hated geopolitical rival against someone who is supposed to be your geopolitical ally, with who you have an 'unlimited partnership'.

You are going to be very tempted to just ignore it, claim the CIA MUST have been behind it, claim even if Russia might theoretically have done it, we can't be certain, and anyway it's America's fault for prolonging the war and supporting Taiw... I mean Ukraine, etc.

Some countries are too comfortably stuck in cynical self interest mode. They're wrong, as they underestimate just how pissed off the West is, and that Russia attempts to "escalate to deescalate" threaten to widen the war

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Drone_Fragger posted:

I heard putin is going to drop a "dirty bomb" (a poo poo) on "kiev" (his pants), for "real this time" (again).

Discord leaks of secret military plans again!? Information warfare for this conflict has been bananas. Like theres a real diaper making GBS threads monkey running things or something.

Putin is a real piece of poo poo.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

the holy poopacy posted:

Gregor Strasser, right before he was shot, yeah?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Victis posted:

Hurr durr

I assume you're all in favor of increased war materiel and support for Ukraine, to push the Russians out faster, so that ecological impact assessment and repair can occur? This is the official Ukrainian "local" position re: the dam.

Do you think all of the post-war rebuilding will be left to the "locals", instead of being cynical about the influence of and role that international money organizations will play?

we literally just did the one where weirdos vivisect my posts to push some goofy poo poo from outer space and it wasn't very funny the last time, do you have another joke you can tell

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Coolguye posted:

we literally just did the one where weirdos vivisect my posts to push some goofy poo poo from outer space and it wasn't very funny the last time, do you have another joke you can tell

"Someone ELSE saying I'm stupid? :smug:"

In any case,

Dwesa posted:

Another and more detailed footage of explosion in Makiivika, drone filmed the site before and during the explosion.

It's uh- fairly big explosion :eyepop:

They are among the symptoms but I guess we'll need to wait for confirmation, it might be different agent, if any.

One thing you can notice from the cookoffs is that this was a staging site for the incendiary grad warheads you would see raining down on Bakhmut and areas on the eastern front, so that's removing a pretty nasty capability (for now)

Victis fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jul 5, 2023

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

IAEA update:

quote:

International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) experts present at Ukraine’s Zaporizhzhya Nuclear Power Plant (ZNPP) have in recent days and weeks inspected parts of the facility – including some sections of the perimeter of the large cooling pond – and have also conducted regular walkdowns across the site, so far without observing any visible indications of mines or explosives, Director General Rafael Mariano Grossi said today.

The IAEA experts have requested additional access that is necessary to confirm the absence of mines or explosives at the site, Director General Grossi said. In particular, access to the rooftops of reactor units 3 and 4 is essential, as well as access to parts of the turbine halls and some parts of the cooling system at the plant, he added.

Director General Grossi stressed the importance of the IAEA team checking all parts of the ZNPP to monitor full compliance with the five basic principles for protecting Europe’s largest nuclear power plant during the current military conflict, following opposing statements and allegations in recent days regarding the military situation at the site.

“With military tension and activities increasing in the region where this major nuclear power plant is located, our experts must be able to verify the facts on the ground. Their independent and objective reporting would help clarify the current situation at the site, which is crucial at a time like this with unconfirmed allegations and counter allegations,” Director General Grossi said.

As previously indicated, the IAEA is aware of reports that mines and other explosives have been placed in and around the ZNPP.

The five basic principles for the protection of the ZNPP that Director General Grossi established on 30 May at the United Nations Security Council state that there should be no attack from or against the plant and that it should not be used as storage or a base for heavy weapons – multiple rocket launchers, artillery systems and munitions, and tanks.

Director General Grossi said that the IAEA team had not reported any recent shelling or explosions and added that the military presence at the site appeared unchanged.

Separately, the IAEA team reported that the single remaining main external 750 kilovolt (kV) power line had been reconnected to the ZNPP yesterday afternoon, around 12 hours after it was suddenly cut, leaving the plant reliant on back-up power supplies.

https://www.iaea.org/newscenter/pressreleases/update-171-iaea-director-general-statement-on-situation-in-ukraine

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Victis posted:

"Someone ELSE saying I'm stupid? :smug:"

i genuinely have no idea what the hell you're on about and your approach makes you look like the psychos who tried to say i espouse beliefs i literally said in the posts they were quoting were provably untrue so like

idk

GRECOROMANGRABASS
May 14, 2020
Wagner was just enforcing the long-standing rule that only the president of russia is allowed to fly in a helicopter over moscow.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I think at some level, the ethnic supremacist authoritarians in power over India and China would very much like to see Moscow succeed. It would show that ~third way~ media control police states are ascendent and western finger wagging moralists are in decline.

Oldsmobile
Jun 13, 2006

the holy poopacy posted:

This is scary accurate.

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

Dwesa posted:

Another and more detailed footage of explosion in Makiivika, drone filmed the site before and during the explosion.

It's uh- fairly big explosion :eyepop:

They are among the symptoms but I guess we'll need to wait for confirmation, it might be different agent, if any.

JFC the rockets that fly off into the surrounding neighborhoods.

:stare:

You'd think that after a year and a half of this stupid war where drones are heavily used by both sides they'd would have realized "hey maybe we shouldn't have this ammo dump completely out in the open." Nope.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

DiomedesGodshill posted:

JFC the rockets that fly off into the surrounding neighborhoods.

:stare:

You'd think that after a year and a half of this stupid war where drones are heavily used by both sides they'd would have realized "hey maybe we shouldn't have this ammo dump completely out in the open." Nope.

They don't even use pallets for quicker logistics. it's literally a pile of rockets out in the open. Russian logi is both turbo lazy and inefficient.

As far as being located right next to a hospital and residential area, well--human shields/guaranteed collateral damage is a feature, not a bug.

Edit: VVVV The US, France, and GB threatening to rain (conventional) missile hellfire on their units the likes of which God has never seen probably had something to do with it too.

OAquinas fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jul 5, 2023

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
Xi allegedly convinced Putin to back down from nuclear threats.

This was later confirmed by Peskov, when he denied it.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Russia ceases to exist as an entity the moment a nuke detonates, that much is for certain. Even without a nuclear response from the west, the consequences would be incompatible with continued existence as a nation-state

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Strategic Tea posted:

I think at some level, the ethnic supremacist authoritarians in power over India and China would very much like to see Moscow succeed. It would show that ~third way~ media control police states are ascendent and western finger wagging moralists are in decline.

One of the few upsides of this conflict is it's definitely giving Xi an ulcer.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

yeah the two cats i know who still live in shenzen agree on very little but one thing they concur on is that the war in ukraine is aging xi rapidly.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Xi probably curses putin every night before going to sleep for loving up his best chance at seizing Taiwan. If the SMO worked as planned and Kyiv fell in a week then I can't imagine that Taiwan wouldn't be in the cards

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
there is no way to lead a world power without aging like poo poo, war or no

Burns
May 10, 2008

OAquinas posted:

They don't even use pallets for quicker logistics. it's literally a pile of rockets out in the open. Russian logi is both turbo lazy and inefficient.

There has been a photo making the rounds of a pallett being used for... other purposes.

kuarduck
Nov 15, 2012

I'm in disguise, you stupid tart!

Burns posted:

There has been a photo making the rounds of a pallett being used for... other purposes.

He means the "meat pallet" :nms:

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

kuarduck posted:

He means the "meat pallet" :nms:

the lurid version is almost definitely false. it's still gross, but :nms: it isn't made of people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burns
May 10, 2008

I saw it posted yesterday and i genuinely hope its not true.