Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

ClassActionFursuit posted:

Also doesn't everyone cite the lowest low as the Warp 10 turn into salamanders Voyager episode that Brannon Braga wrote?

Trekkies tend to hate the good/weird episodes.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

Did nothing wrong. Also, murdered.

:hai:

Voyager is pretty bad but no more so than most trek, even the sacred ds9

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Big Bad Idiot posted:

if cops were bad guys in movies from 1960-present, instead of arabs, queers and black people, it would be a different world

large business owners were bad guys a lot in the 80s and 90s but there's a lot of countervailing propaganda

The Rockford Files, which was one of the most popular television shows of the time, regularly depicted cops as being corrupt, stupid, incompetent and entirely self serving. Even Jim’s “buddy” on the police force was presented as a two faced snake and always griped and complained whenever he had to do Jim a favor.

That being said, if you want to blame someone for the advent of Copaganda, blame Dick Wolf. He was very proud of the work he did on Law and Order convincing the American public that prosecutors were good and defense attorneys were bad.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Jaxyon posted:

Trump was the bad guy for several 80's movies including Back to the Future 2 and he got to be president

they made gremlins 2 too awesome and our society changed as a result

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Blood Boils posted:

Voyager is pretty bad but no more so than most trek, even the sacred ds9

lol

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Clip-On Fedora posted:

That being said, if you want to blame someone for the advent of Copaganda, blame Dick Wolf. He was very proud of the work he did on Law and Order convincing the American public that prosecutors were good and defense attorneys were bad.

dick wolf wants to be a cop so loving bad

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Big Bad Idiot posted:

people want to believe they are randian rational supermen

yeah this is cspam

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

ok this explains why I think about this television commercial literally six times a day

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=n_eAX-jQX6o

Inverted Hungry, Hungry Hippos.

God, I miss the nineties.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Big Bad Idiot posted:

if media didn't change your behavior they wouldn't spend so much money on advertising

and if you need an overt example look at super size me

Also, before Finding Nemo came out, Disney spent 2 years getting kids ready to accept a fish story. They put "did you know?" fish facts during the ad breaks on disney channel, like "what is the largest fish?" "did you know starfish can regrow their arms?". they made disney channel characters get pet fish and say "this fish is awesome! I love this fish!". They subliminally signaled that fish were always a cool thing that kids like and then the movie was met with no resistence.

The american admiration of the british royal family is a consequence of us being fed fairytales of royals for almost a century by the disney corp

Disney was right, fish are cool. It's a shame that it took a subliminal propaganda campaign for people to see it.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

inshallah they see it

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Big Bad Idiot posted:

this may be the case but disney did do the propaganda thing I'm talking about. are you arguing that it didn't matter or affect their developing minds?

just like how kids in the 90s loved slime, laser swords, ninjas, dinosaurs and trucks that become robot men. Do kids care about these things now? no. they love iron man which 90s kids had but didn't care for. they are changing the programming wake up people

I'm pretty sure I still see kids into star wars, transformers and mutant ninja turtles.

Also I liked iron man in the 90s.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Big Bad Idiot posted:

this may be the case but disney did do the propaganda thing I'm talking about. are you arguing that it didn't matter or affect their developing minds?

just like how kids in the 90s loved slime, laser swords, ninjas, dinosaurs and trucks that become robot men. Do kids care about these things now? no. they love iron man which 90s kids had but didn't care for. they are changing the programming wake up people

wtf? kids still love dinosaurs and robots what are you talking about

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

i say swears online posted:

birth of a nation was the most successful movie of all time

One of the most famous directors in history did Hitler's propaganda videos.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

are cultural artifacts like movies, ads, etc used to sway the culture? sure. but a one-way analysis critically misses the reality that cultural artifacts are always a product of their culture.

they made finding nemo because anthropomorphic fish telling the story of "kid gets lost at the mall" is one that is relatable and acceptable in our culture. subtle messaging by disney didn't make that true.

cops are the heroes in our movies because broadly our culture thinks there are a lot of cops who are heroes.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

mass shootings? like jackson filming lotr concurrently?

edit I swear someone switched this thread and the mass shooting thread but it just reverted back

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

edit I swear someone switched this thread and the mass shooting thread but it just reverted back
I saw it too. It was a They Live moment where you saw through the veil that pop culture is programming our next mass shooters.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

guy at pixar: movie effects u? thats my alma mater

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Knight posted:

I saw it too. It was a They Live moment where you saw through the veil that pop culture is programming our next mass shooters.

POP POP POP POPPPOPPOPPOP Culture

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

pop pop pop culture

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
mother fucker....

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Homeless Friend posted:

mother fucker....

owned

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Fellatio del Toro posted:

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

PerniciousKnid posted:

I'm pretty sure I still see kids into star wars, transformers and mutant ninja turtles.

Also I liked iron man in the 90s.

kids aren't into what you think of as those things, especially Star Wars. zoomers love the Clone Wars cartoons and the older ones love the prequels. they like the Bay transformers and the TMNT series you've probably never seen, not the one where they wear Uncle Fester masks to go out in public

I really enjoy how many people in this thread fully disbelieve the idea that popular media shapes childrens' and (to a lesser but still significant extent) the public's minds. it's a strange sort of magical thinking

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
if that were true then my kids would balk at playing with original TMNT action figures but I gave them to them and they said "heck yeah, this is Leo and Mikey!"

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

that only proves your children can distinguish colors

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

which is still an achievement

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

indigi posted:

kids aren't into what you think of as those things, especially Star Wars. zoomers love the Clone Wars cartoons and the older ones love the prequels. they like the Bay transformers and the TMNT series you've probably never seen, not the one where they wear Uncle Fester masks to go out in public

I really enjoy how many people in this thread fully disbelieve the idea that popular media shapes childrens' and (to a lesser but still significant extent) the public's minds. it's a strange sort of magical thinking

I don't believe any of it, and only a Sith deals in absolutes.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

indigi posted:

You know what I think is magical thinking? The notion that The writers of 24 tricked republicans into thinking that torture was a good idea, That Aaron Sorkin fooled a bunch of Democrats into sucking rear end, or even that The Blackboard Jungle turned a generation of young people into dangerous juvenile delinquents. Republicans already though torture was great, Clinton Democrats loved the West Wing because it lionized what they already believed, and the youth were already dissatisfied and looking to rebel before watching The Black Board Jungle. People choose these shows because they already represent the hopes, dreams, and aspirations they already held in their heart. If such a thing as the collective unconscious exists, then media is a mirror that reflects it.

I’m not saying Television is just a toaster, after all Henry Kissinger and the US government used pirated US media as part of a decades long project to successfully trick the soviets in rejecting communism and embracing capitalism. But recently a lot of media obsessed liberals in recent years have developed this bizarre shamanistic belief that if they force media and popular culture to be wholesome, they can force the society they live in to be wholesome as well. Much like Zangief in the Street Fighter movie, they think that if they simply change the channel, they can keep a truck filled with explosives from barreling towards the building they’re in. Shows like Ted Lasso feel like an attempt to drop a giant dose of Prozac into the American subconscious in order to make Americans more docile and obedient. However, this only works on the portion of the population that WANTS to chill out and be docile. Anyone who doesn’t will reject the show and it’s message.

You can see your reflection in a mirror, but you can’t give yourself a mustache by drawing one over your reflection. You can only give yourself the illusion that you have a mustache.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Fellatio del Toro posted:

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

indigi posted:

wow, exactly what voldemort would say!

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Clip-On Fedora posted:

You know what I think is magical thinking?

nope

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Clip-On Fedora posted:

You know what I think is magical thinking? The notion that The writers of 24 tricked republicans into thinking that torture was a good idea, That Aaron Sorkin fooled a bunch of Democrats into sucking rear end, or even that The Blackboard Jungle turned a generation of young people into dangerous juvenile delinquents. Republicans already though torture was great, Clinton Democrats loved the West Wing because it lionized what they already believed, and the youth were already dissatisfied and looking to rebel before watching The Black Board Jungle. People choose these shows because they already represent the hopes, dreams, and aspirations they already held in their heart. If such a thing as the collective unconscious exists, then media is a mirror that reflects it.

I’m not saying Television is just a toaster, after all Henry Kissinger and the US government used pirated US media as part of a decades long project to successfully trick the soviets in rejecting communism and embracing capitalism. But recently a lot of media obsessed liberals in recent years have developed this bizarre shamanistic belief that if they force media and popular culture to be wholesome, they can force the society they live in to be wholesome as well. Much like Zangief in the Street Fighter movie, they think that if they simply change the channel, they can keep a truck filled with explosives from barreling towards the building they’re in. Shows like Ted Lasso feel like an attempt to drop a giant dose of Prozac into the American subconscious in order to make Americans more docile and obedient. However, this only works on the portion of the population that WANTS to chill out and be docile. Anyone who doesn’t will reject the show and it’s message.

You can see your reflection in a mirror, but you can’t give yourself a mustache by drawing one over your reflection. You can only give yourself the illusion that you have a mustache.

actually the nazis took over because some broad made Hitler: Live in Concert

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

actually the nazis took over because some broad made Hitler: Live in Concert

arena reich

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

i just didn't get the disney channel as a kid. walt's efforts to make me love fish were squandered.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

The rest of the post goes on to explain it so you don't actually have to know what he thinks magical thinking is. I think they call that a rhetorical device

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Clip-On Fedora posted:

/

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

This was a big hit at my grade school https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrgpZ0fUixs

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

It's absolutely true that Disney and everyone uses media as propaganda to shape beliefs.

I just don't think it's true they used it to make Finding Nemo a hit.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

THEN WHYDJA ASK MAAAAN!?!?!?!?! AAAAAH!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Culture is downstream of material conditions. If our politics seems entirely preoccupied with culture, it's because the politics have already been decided.

It's Lib thinking to believe that society can be changed through "mindset shifting" or if we could just reach those dang Republicans through some amazing art they'd see the error of their ways.