Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Pobrecito posted:

I'll believe it when I see it in full production. There are scores of major battery technology breakthrough announcements that never come to fruition as a usable, scalable product.

Typically not from a company like Toyota though, right?

But it checks off every major issue which is pretty incredible. A 10 minute charge gets us close enough to gas-station parity that that roadblock for people who can’t home charge goes away. Especially combined with the range. That’s game changing if they deliver.

But, reading the article, it sounds like two things may be conflated. They said they aim to halve production costs and battery size/weight. That’s just a goal, not necessarily something the breakthrough allows. And later it talks about the breakthrough which is related to durability and will allow for the increased range and lowered charge times. Here they said they hoped that it would lower the cost to the same or less than current batteries. But that’s a hope and I would expect they’ll probably still cost more, and definitely more than half since after the breakthrough they didn’t mention half anymore.

2027/2028 is an aggressive timeline though. To design everything and get it ramped up to production, that tells me they have to really be right there in terms of readiness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Actually they recently promoted a Hydrogen Internal Combustion Engine which was dumb as hell and misleading

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Jaxyon posted:

Actually they recently promoted a Hydrogen Internal Combustion Engine which was dumb as hell and misleading

Was the combustion external?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Yeah, that's a good rule of thumb for the media breathlessly announcing a pure science breakthrough, but a major manufacturer building a product roadmap around it really makes it seems like there's more to this than puffery

As for the conflation, I think they're just leaving themselves room to tweak the tradeoffs. If the new battery has vastly greater energy density, then they could do any combination of more capacious and less bulky, from 1200km range on a battery that weighs and volumes about the same as present-day batteries to a significantly smaller and lighter battery that only gets somewhat more range instead of 5x as much

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
The NYT has an interesting article on global inflation.

From 2021 through 2022, the inflation rate for most of the world was pretty close. It all rose around the same time and the inflation rate in majors countries was within about 1.5% of each other.

Now, it looks like several places are stuck at nearly 8 or 9% inflation, while other places have seen inflation cut in half.

Canada and the U.S. seem to have done much better than the Eurozone in getting inflation down, but there is concern that they might get "stuck" at higher levels of inflation (3.5% to 4%) for a long period of time.

The U.K. appears to be unable to get inflation down and is one of the few areas where inflation was still rising in 2023.

Japan has historically had incredibly low inflation or deflation, which has led to stagnant wages for decades, so their 3.2% inflation rate is actually historically high and causing disproportionate cost of living problems.

The weird thing is that nobody knows exactly why it is happening in some areas and not others. The central banks in the E.U., Canada, and U.S. have all raised their rates on a similar schedule for the last year and supply chains are mostly global.

Part of it is energy prices and food prices seeing much more dramatic impacts in Europe as a result of the Russian invasion of Ukraine. But, even controlling for that, the E.U. is still experiencing stubbornly high inflation despite pursuing very similar monetary policy to the U.S. and Canada.

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1676565348689104896

quote:

It’s a World of Inflation

Prices are still rising too fast for comfort in many major economies, and policymakers across the globe are trying to wrestle them under control.

From Melbourne to Manchester to Miami, people are struggling under the weight of hefty price increases for the things they buy each day.

The worst spike in inflation that many advanced economies have seen in decades underscores the global forces driving prices higher, namely the disruptions set in motion by the coronavirus pandemic.

The stakes are high for policymakers around the world, who are facing similar problems. To try to get inflation under control, central bankers have rapidly lifted interest rates, trying to slow their economies in hopes of cooling prices.

If they fail to bring inflation under control, it could result in a destabilizing period of spiraling prices. Higher and less predictable inflation would squeeze families and businesses and make it harder to plan for the future.

But if economic policymakers react too aggressively — and all at once — it could crimp global economic growth to a painful degree. That could raise the risk of a major recession that shutters businesses and puts people out of work. Given the potential cost, policymakers do not want to overdo it, harming their economies more than is necessary to bring down inflation.

Many central banks are approaching those trade-offs similarly: They are focused on fighting stubbornly high inflation. Officials fear that if they let inflation persist for too long, it could become entrenched and prove even more painful to stamp out.

The leaders of major central banks in North America, Europe and elsewhere have said recently that they expect to continue raising rates, as inflation is moderating but remains well above their typical target rates — which are often around 2 percent.

Officials at the U.S. Federal Reserve have raised their policy rate to just above 5 percent from near zero in March 2022, and they forecast raising it two more times in 2023, to just above 5.5 percent. Policymakers at the European Central Bank, which sets policy for the 20 countries that use the euro, also expect to continue raising rates, which have reached the highest level since 2001. The Bank of England recently surprised investors by raising rates more than expected with its 13th consecutive increase.

Inflation surged substantially in the United States in 2021 but has come down more quickly than in many parts of Europe. That’s in part because Europe has more significant exposure to the effects of Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, which has pushed up food and energy prices sharply.

But stripping out those volatile prices, so-called core inflation looks stubborn across many countries. That underscores the common problem facing policymakers: Slow-moving prices for services are climbing much more quickly than before the pandemic.

Prices for labor-intensive services like medical care and education tend to track wage gains and the strength of the overall economy. In short, they are the type of price increases that central banks can do something about by raising rates to slow down borrowing, curb spending and ultimately cool the economy.

At a recent gathering of central bankers, Jerome H. Powell, the Fed chair, said that for inflation in the services sector, such as hotels, restaurants and banks, “we are not seeing a lot of progress yet.”

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

haveblue posted:

Yeah, that's a good rule of thumb for the media breathlessly announcing a pure science breakthrough, but a major manufacturer building a product roadmap around it really makes it seems like there's more to this than puffery

As for the conflation, I think they're just leaving themselves room to tweak the tradeoffs. If the new battery has vastly greater energy density, then they could do any combination of more capacious and less bulky, from 1200km range on a battery that weighs and volumes about the same as present-day batteries to a significantly smaller and lighter battery that only gets somewhat more range instead of 5x as much

Yes if they can get a good charging network (I doubt these new batteries will work with existing chargers?) then with a 10 minute charge you really do not need 750 miles of range. I drive a Leaf that gets about 150 miles and that is honestly enough for most people but 300 is going to cover just about everyone.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

haveblue posted:

4 years is enough product roadmap to say "Sorry, this didn't work out according to our projections. Back to the drawing board." I'm extremely skeptical of this until we see more - and I hope I'm wrong.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I would love to see the solid state battery be true, but Toyota's track record with EVs so far has me thinking this is them trying to get people to hesitate to jump in now. "Keep buying our gas cars, wait and see on EVs".

Yes if they can get a good charging network (I doubt these new batteries will work with existing chargers?)

Why wouldn't they? Electricity is electricity.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Mellow Seas posted:

A lot of people on the left don’t consider “the economy doing well” as an accomplishment if it wasn’t done with the nationalization of all industries, abolition of free markets and jailing or execution of all the wealthy.

Well yeah, you can't actually get better if the parasites are still feeding on you. Any rallying of health just goes to them.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Wayne Knight posted:

Why wouldn't they? Electricity is electricity.

There are no kWh numbers in the article but 10-minute fast charges are beyond the capability of existing chargers

The cars will almost certainly be backwards compatible but it'll take a lot longer than 10 minutes

e: if any of this actually happens

haveblue fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jul 5, 2023

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
I'm surprised that the (alleged) breakthrough in solid state batteries came from Toyota of all car manufacturers. They've been banking on the market going away from full EV and have been trying to develop and sell their Hybrid and Hydrogen-fuel vehicles.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Was the combustion external?

I don't know how reliable this guy is but here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJjKwSF9gT8

It's a video analyzing it vs electric

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

haveblue posted:

There are no kWh numbers in the article but 10-minute fast charges are beyond the capability of existing chargers

The cars will almost certainly be backwards compatible but it'll take a lot longer than 10 minutes

e: if any of this actually happens

I hope they’re backwards compatible but that will require them to have (at least) two ports, as like you said I don’t think any existing standards will allow that kind of transfer speed. Or maybe some sort of adapter?

kzin602
May 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Velocity Raptor posted:

I'm surprised that the (alleged) breakthrough in solid state batteries came from Toyota of all car manufacturers. They've been banking on the market going away from full EV and have been trying to develop and sell their Hybrid and Hydrogen-fuel vehicles.

I've always thought the big battery and self driving breakthroughs are not going to come from an 'excing' tech company like Tesla but from a 'boring' industrial company with diverse interests in manufacturing and automation like Toyota or Hyundai.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

kzin602 posted:

I've always thought the big battery and self driving breakthroughs are not going to come from an 'excing' tech company like Tesla but from a 'boring' industrial company with diverse interests in manufacturing and automation like Toyota or Hyundai.

A Nissan or Ford wouldn’t have shocked me since they’re pretty into EV already. Toyota fumbled the lead it originally had with the Prius and this represents a pretty big change of course for them. Which leads me to believe they have the goods.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

kzin602 posted:

A Nissan or Ford wouldn’t have shocked me since they’re pretty into EV already. Toyota fumbled the lead it originally had with the Prius and this represents a pretty big change of course for them. Which leads me to believe they have the goods.

Pretty much this is why I'm surprised it's Toyota announcing the breakthrough. They've been pretty adverse to full EV and trying to push hybrid and alternate fuel engines. I'm very much in a wait and see mindset, but if they've actually made a breakthrough and have accelerated widespread production (and ultimately adoption) of EVs, I'm all for it.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Velocity Raptor posted:

Pretty much this is why I'm surprised it's Toyota announcing the breakthrough. They've been pretty adverse to full EV and trying to push hybrid and alternate fuel engines. I'm very much in a wait and see mindset, but if they've actually made a breakthrough and have accelerated widespread production (and ultimately adoption) of EVs, I'm all for it.

They have a few version of the EV Prius, though? Its not like they have no EVs in their stable at all.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
This story out of Wisconsin reminds me how much line item vetoes and partial vetoes are some of the dumbest things politicians have ever dreamed up

https://twitter.com/kenklippenstein/status/1676701438678822913

The increase in funding for the next 400 years is funny and pretty good, but its just so unimaginably dumb that there are places where you can just play legislative word search to make whatever law the governor wants

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Oracle posted:

They have a few version of the EV Prius, though? Its not like they have no EVs in their stable at all.

That's one of the hybrids, it's an ICE car with a battery for short trips. Most people don't really consider those EVs when they're talking about EVs.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Oracle posted:

I don’t think there has ever been a Prius that wasn’t a hybrid. They have plug ins which is a step up but they still have combustion engines onboard and the range is like 40 miles.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Papercut posted:

That's one of the hybrids, it's an ICE car with a battery for short trips. Most people don't really consider those EVs when they're talking about EVs.

I don’t think there has ever been a Prius that wasn’t a hybrid. They have plug ins which is a step up but they still have combustion engines onboard and the range is like 40 miles.

Nope, not a Prius, but an... SUV??

quote:

The 2023 Toyota bZ4X is the automaker's first mass-produced electric vehicle and is currently the only EV the brand offers. It's a small SUV that's about the size of a RAV4 and is closely related to the all-new Subaru Solterra.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

For people saying their own situation is good but the economy is bad that’s how I feel, I have a good job but in a larger and long term sense everything is getting too expensive especially housing and no one seems to have any real plans to fix it

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Oracle posted:

Nope, not a Prius, but an... SUV??

Wonder how much the design firm got paid to come up with that name!

For real though it looks like a pretty decent car which is cool. About time Toyota got on board.

Edit: ew, no one pedal?

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

pencilhands posted:

For people saying their own situation is good but the economy is bad that’s how I feel, I have a good job but in a larger and long term sense everything is getting too expensive especially housing and no one seems to have any real plans to fix it

Yeah, I mean 57 percent of Americans say that they live paycheck-to-paycheck, and while that's down from the low 60s a few months ago, it's still kind of scary, as is the record credit-card debt & other indicators.

And even those who are in good economic situations say things like they can't afford to have children, or they know that a medical bankruptcy could wipe out their savings, and they see themselves surrounded by the unhoused & unfed.

Old people are the fastest-growing demographic among the unhoused. How do you read about people in their 70s living at the airport or in the underpass or in their cars & not figure that poo poo has gotten real, and really ugly?

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

Willa Rogers posted:

There are plenty of examples in the DHS meeting minutes for the working group linked to in the Intercept story.

Could you be more specific, such as by citing passages or pages?

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

pencilhands posted:

Everyone knows something is gonna break soon. The older order clearly doesn't work, but its inertia and structure are such that it is going to take time to untangle, and is much more likely to just shatter. Everyone can feel it, even if they can't express it well, or point out what it is (not saying that I can). I really suspect its just representing "I'm presently fine and if things go right, I'll be okay in the future, but the odds of things going right in the future seem cloudy at best, so not so happy about that."

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Koos Group posted:

Could you be more specific, such as by citing passages or pages?

Back to the Intercept article summarizing it:

quote:

In June, the same DHS advisory committee of CISA — which includes Twitter head of legal policy, trust, and safety Vijaya Gadde and University of Washington professor Kate Starbird — drafted a report to the CISA director calling for an expansive role for the agency in shaping the “information ecosystem.” The report called on the agency to closely monitor “social media platforms of all sizes, mainstream media, cable news, hyper partisan media, talk radio and other online resources.” They argued that the agency needed to take steps to halt the “spread of false and misleading information,” with a focus on information that undermines “key democratic institutions, such as the courts, or by other sectors such as the financial system, or public health measures.”

To accomplish these broad goals, the report said, CISA should invest in external research to evaluate the “efficacy of interventions,” specifically with research looking at how alleged disinformation can be countered and how quickly messages spread. Geoff Hale, the director of the Election Security Initiative at CISA, recommended the use of third-party information-sharing nonprofits as a “clearing house for information to avoid the appearance of government propaganda.”

This work was not disclosed to the public, and the government actively sought to mask the origin of the information.

Is that sufficient for proving my initial contention or would you like to see more sources?

eta: As far as government pressure on media, I'm putting together some cites right now but we're undergoing severe thunderstorms so either give me some time or probe me, idc. I'll provide the sources when I can post again, in that case.

Willa Rogers fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jul 6, 2023

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I have joined a new social media app, Threads by Instagram that seems like a twitter replacement

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

pencilhands posted:

I answer this way because I'm in a good spot right now but I'm one car accident away from losing my good job and one wrong cancer diagnosis away from complete financial ruin for my entire family unless I end things on my own terms to save them the hospital bills. That's not a "good" economy.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Mellow Seas posted:

It will take several more months for people to notice their purchasing power isn’t being eroded by inflation like it was a year ago. Public opinion is a lagging indicator on that kind of thing.

Cross posting something Vox Nihili posted elsewhere. This is what’s happening in France right now. I think it’s very dangerous to assume any particular outcome in any economy in the next few months.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Gatts posted:

I have joined a new social media app, Threads by Instagram that seems like a twitter replacement

In 100% seriousness, I cannot find the website for this Twitter competitor. Threads.com is some slack clone instead.

I just want to view posts anonymously without an app and without an account, and hopefully embed them into forums. is this too much to ask

Edit found it: https://www.threads.net/ but doesn't seem to do anything

With respect to the economy, I know several people who have been laid off from cushy non tech jobs and for the first time in ages are completely unable to find similar employment. There's a lot of worrying about what if that happened to me?? Going on. These are GenXers.

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jul 6, 2023

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Basically any economic research I'm doing that isn't specifically looking at the pandemic or inflation uses 2019 as the last year of data just because we have no idea what's going on with the economy. I'm cautiously optimistic because it seems like inflation is coming down but labor market is still strong, but that's with a thousand caveats.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

trevorreznik posted:

In 100% seriousness, I cannot find the website for this Twitter competitor. Threads.com is some slack clone instead.

I just want to view posts anonymously without an app and without an account, and hopefully embed them into forums. is this too much to ask

Edit found it: https://www.threads.net/ but doesn't seem to do anything

Threads is the Facebook competitor to Twitter that just launched today. I believe it is currently only available as a standalone app on your phone or through Instagram right now.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Threads is the Facebook competitor to Twitter that just launched today. I believe it is currently only available as a standalone app on your phone or through Instagram right now.

Weird, someone should set them straight on the point of the internet being ad free.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Ohio abortion rights supporters greatly exceeded the target for a referendum in November

quote:

The groups — Ohioans for Reproductive Freedom and Protect Choice Ohio — had until Wednesday to collect about 413,000 valid signatures (10% of the total votes cast in the latest governor’s race, under Ohio law) across at least 44 of the state’s 88 counties to have the amendment placed on the ballot.

State officials must now review the signatures for duplicates and other potential errors. (Signatures can be thrown out, for example, if the person wasn’t registered to vote at the address submitted or if the person’s handwriting was unreadable.)

The groups, however, said they’d collected nearly twice the needed number of signatures — more than 710,000 — in the event that any were deemed invalid.

It would invalidate Ohio's (currently enjoined) heartbeat bill if it passes- which could be made more difficult if voters fail to shoot down a proposal to increase the majority needed for a state constitutional amendment to 60% in August

This is also the app that the Mastodon federation threw a collective shitfit over and made some noises about pre-emptively blocking, which doesn't appear to have actually happened

haveblue fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jul 6, 2023

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
A guy I work tried to convince me that Ukraine is a "state" - as in "part of the UNited States" - because the US government currently sends them money and arms. He was dead serious.

I guess that me correcting him and telling him unequivocally that, no, Ukraine is not part of the United States violates his free speech. Or something.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

bird food bathtub posted:

I answer this way because I'm in a good spot right now but I'm one car accident away from losing my good job and one wrong cancer diagnosis away from complete financial ruin for my entire family unless I end things on my own terms to save them the hospital bills. That's not a "good" economy.

Yeah same here. I'm doing ok now but if I saw a vision of 5 years in the future where I was completely hosed it would be very believable. Everything feels too tenuous.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Willa Rogers posted:

Back to the Intercept article summarizing it:

This work was not disclosed to the public, and the government actively sought to mask the origin of the information.

Is that sufficient for proving my initial contention or would you like to see more sources?

eta: As far as government pressure on media, I'm putting together some cites right now but we're undergoing severe thunderstorms so either give me some time or probe me, idc. I'll provide the sources when I can post again, in that case.
I'm just an observer with no power in this situation, but I'm interested in this subject and, I'll admit, skeptical about the extend and characterization of government intervention in free speech any of this implies.

What you're citing there doesn't seem to imply censorship of any kind. "Countering disinformation" does not, in my mind, necessarily imply censorship. It could involve censorship, or it could just involve promoting "accurate" information.

Basically, what you're presenting a summary of evidence for is propaganda, not censorship, if I'm reading it right. It is very far from the information that was originally requested, that I'm also very curious about, which was this:

Can you post an example from the article of a specific time that the CDC/HHS/DHS either secretly threatened/coerced an unwilling participant to censor the internet or they directly censored the internet?

If I'm reading it wrong, and there was censorship, that the government actually prevented certain speech from being expressed, I would be very curious about the specifics of any such case. If they were just pointing out to platforms that some content violated own terms of service, as in the case of Hunter Biden nonsense, that's kind of unseemly, but doesn't seem like a big deal. If their requests were actually threatening in some way I would be a lot more concerned.

I agree that the principle of free speech is important, and violating it even for a "good" cause is disturbing by the precedent it sets. So what I'm most curious about is what specific "norms" were broken, what boundaries crossed. Because a nebulous "managing the narrative" could mean anything, and I don't see that demanding the government not advocate a position is really practical or important. This is why I am very curious about actual specific examples, and think that's an important question to answer.

tl;dr: I read way too many of those drat minutes 'cause you said with confidence they proved "active censorship," and all I got out if them was that reasonable people were discussing how to run an informational campaign, so I want to know what you're talking about because I would agree with it being a really serious issue if it has been accurately characterized.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I’ve been traveling today and all the random news channels have been talking non stop about finding cocaine at the White House. Is this the current Thing? I thought it was old news.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Boris Galerkin posted:

I’ve been traveling today and all the random news channels have been talking non stop about finding cocaine at the White House. Is this the current Thing? I thought it was old news.

It's weird. I saw it on ABC or CBS News' Youtube, but I didn't see any reports on CNN or the NY Times.