Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth's Mystery Box Vacation Adventure!

Skippy (July 24, 1935)

Peanuts (July 7, 1976)

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (February 7, 1940)

Out Our Way (March 23-25, 1942)

Still waiting for the reversal of fortune on this one.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Selachian posted:

Blondie 8/9/41

Dagwood Bumstead, veteran of the Great War.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "120 - Jucika Is Washing Strawberries"

"121 - Jucika And The Frogman"

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

holy poo poo Grumpaw

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
John Allison is channeling the great British authors of children's literature with this case, casually killing off a group of kids in a horrific way with the justification of "Well, they were naughty and/or were pals with the naughty child."

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cowslips Warren posted:

ugh Home Free is just disgusting. the art, the plot, everything. I'd swear it was some fetish of the artist like Glorious Master.

The goon mentioning knowing some kid in school whose family apparently actually did this during a house remodeling explains why the person who makes Home Free thought they could start a comic with this premise but not why they think they can keep going off of it indefinitely. To be entirely honest, once the son was introduced as being able to talk to animals I was kind of expecting that to become the premise of the comic and that the house remodeling would just, like, be done at that point.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

JethroMcB posted:

John Allison is channeling the great British authors of children's literature with this case, casually killing off a group of kids in a horrific way with the justification of "Well, they were naughty and/or were pals with the naughty child."

They still exist on the other side of the timehole (because they previously left) but their "ghosts" still existed in the timeloop when the girls reset and reentered it because they already had entered it.

Probably. Either way they're gooping apart because they're not the "real" versions of themselves. So it's only the body horror "death" of a copy of something that believes it's alive. Totally acceptable and PG friendly.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

I do not like the Pixar remake of Wool.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

goatface posted:

They still exist on the other side of the timehole (because they previously left) but their "ghosts" still existed in the timeloop when the girls reset and reentered it because they already had entered it.

Probably. Either way they're gooping apart because they're not the "real" versions of themselves. So it's only the body horror "death" of a copy of something that believes it's alive. Totally acceptable and PG friendly.

Ah, right. I just checked the archive and sure enough, we see them back at Griswalds soon enough. I feel like that that was one of the changes made for syndication/the trade paperback collection, but since JA has purged the original comics from the internet I can't check and have to assume that I'm just making stuff up.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

JethroMcB posted:

Ah, right. I just checked the archive and sure enough, we see them back at Griswalds soon enough. I feel like that that was one of the changes made for syndication/the trade paperback collection, but since JA has purged the original comics from the internet I can't check and have to assume that I'm just making stuff up.

IIRC they're still in the 'present' in the original story, yes.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Selachian posted:

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 10/19/41

While I really don't need another "Scarlet reforms a juvenile delinquent by pretending to be their conscience" storyline, I do find it funny that apparently the way to show this kid has a bad attitude is by drawing him sticking his tongue out in every panel.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

He's actually got a very protruding bottom lip, another fine thread that makes up the majestic tapestry of Scarlet character design.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Oops! I accidentally hit submit before I was ready!

Luann

Vanagon confirmed!

Gil Thorp

Coach Martinez kind of grew on me as a rival coach with an irrational hatred for Gil. I hope he doesn't stay down

Home Free

Some Guy TT posted:

The goon mentioning knowing some kid in school whose family apparently actually did this during a house remodeling explains why the person who makes Home Free thought they could start a comic with this premise but not why they think they can keep going off of it indefinitely. To be entirely honest, once the son was introduced as being able to talk to animals I was kind of expecting that to become the premise of the comic and that the house remodeling would just, like, be done at that point.

I agree. "Child can talk to animals and has lots of animal friends" is a much richer and more interesting premise than "Weird family lives in their back yard because of home construction." He really should have gone with that. He could still have the kid really preferring to camp outside with the animals.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

Vanagon confirmed!

Also Gunt continuing to be an rear end in a top hat.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Julet Esqu posted:

Child can talk to animals and has lots of animal friends" is a much richer and more interesting premise

That's debatable as implemented.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Let me tell you about these dam millennial dogs these days.

Krazy Kat(April 29, 2927)

Little Nemo(September 23, 1906) timg'd for suspect racial depiction

Not as bad as it could be is not an excuse.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

I think with the art and writing shown that Home Free could tell a decent goofy for-kids comedy story from start to finish but beating a few jokes into dust for 1-2 dozen strips in a row isn't playing to their strengths.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Julet Esqu posted:

Gil Thorp

Coach Martinez kind of grew on me as a rival coach with an irrational hatred for Gil. I hope he doesn't stay down

Sorry, I've only been skimming Gil Thorp - what did the dirtbag coach get fired for? Was he the one with the korean ringer?

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

Vanagon confirmed!

I thought Gunther's mom already owned the van, but I guess not.

Weembles posted:

Sorry, I've only been skimming Gil Thorp - what did the dirtbag coach get fired for? Was he the one with the korean ringer?

Put his son in as a relief pitcher for his korean star, immediately exploded when his kid didn't get a strikeout. Presumably it escalated from there.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Stultus Maximus posted:

Also Gunt continuing to be an rear end in a top hat.

How long have Toni and Brad been dating again? Because if they've been together for years and Gunther's been Luann's friend since forever, enough that he knows he should call Brad for help, then how the gently caress did Gunther manage to not know that it's Toni who can actually help him?

What an rear end in a top hat.

Green Intern posted:

I thought Gunther's mom already owned the van, but I guess not.

I had to recheck, but Gunther's mom only gave bets a flier for a van that's for sale, and then mentioned that Gunther's dad had owned an old camper van. So she doesn't even have an old van to give them.

Gunther's mom telling Bets to take over her dream of living in a fuckvan and then making Bets and Gunther have to buy their own ride sounds about right for this rear end in a top hat family.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Haraiso Days

That’s the cop from the volume 1 new year’s eve episode.

After School Ghost Stories

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

Doomykins posted:

I think with the art and writing shown that Home Free could tell a decent goofy for-kids comedy story from start to finish but beating a few jokes into dust for 1-2 dozen strips in a row isn't playing to their strengths.

I doubt anyone who thinks homelessness is a cutesy premise for a comic strip is capable of telling any kind of story well.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Julet Esqu posted:

I agree. "Child can talk to animals and has lots of animal friends" is a much richer and more interesting premise than "Weird family lives in their back yard because of home construction." He really should have gone with that. He could still have the kid really preferring to camp outside with the animals.

I'm pretty sure in the blurb about the comic when it started that the kid talking to animals was going to be the main thing, so I was also assuming that the renovation would be wrapping up after that ability was established. Maybe the primary setting is going to be this uncle's house? Or maybe I'm just hoping the comic finds it's groove, like Tinkersons.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Weembles posted:

Green Intern posted:

Put his son in as a relief pitcher for his korean star, immediately exploded when his kid didn't get a strikeout. Presumably it escalated from there.

Called his son some terrible names on the mound that they couldn't repeat on the radio broadcast (yes, this was an actual strip, but I can't be arsed to go back and find it), and then the whole team walked off the field in protest, presumably forfeiting the game.

My favorite thing about today's strip is that newspaper photo with a cop behind the coach, implying that he must have gone into some sort of rage, maybe throwing baseball equipment all over the infield or something, and ended up getting arrested as a result.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

manero posted:

Nancy 1943

Um, what?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

the dandelion on the ground is actually a very small firecracker, for which the child has taken scrupulous precautions

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I stared at it for a while too. It's a firecracker.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Weembles posted:

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Giant Ethicist posted:

This is the most realistic teen friend behavior in comics.

Doosh Doosh

Edit: oh poo poo I forgot about the FCC regulations joke in Gil Thorp. Good stuff

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

catlord posted:

I'm pretty sure in the blurb about the comic when it started that the kid talking to animals was going to be the main thing, so I was also assuming that the renovation would be wrapping up after that ability was established. Maybe the primary setting is going to be this uncle's house? Or maybe I'm just hoping the comic finds it's groove, like Tinkersons.

the name of the comic is literally "home free", as in, they don't have a home. i don't think they're going to change the thing they titled the strip after

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

someone awful. posted:

the name of the comic is literally "home free", as in, they don't have a home. i don't think they're going to change the thing they titled the strip after

Oh. Well it sounds obvious when you say it.

Though Robotman might have something to say about that second bit.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Giant Ethicist posted:

He thrusts his fists against the post and still insists he sees the ghosts.

Pogo 1/15-17/51

The B-and-the-O: the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad.

Tallulah Bankhead.

Archie 9/11-13/47

Another school experience that the modern whiteboard-and-computer-screen kids will never know.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

CommonShore posted:

I stared at it for a while too. It's a firecracker.

Okay, thanks.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Doomykins posted:

He's actually got a very protruding bottom lip, another fine thread that makes up the majestic tapestry of Scarlet character design.
It does look like it's his tongue sticking out within his protruding lip, which is really weird if you try to do it yourself.

someone awful. posted:

This is making me try to think of how many comic strips have changed their premise. Like Barney Google and Snuffy Smith is now basically just Snuffy Smith. Fritzi Ritz became Nancy. On the Fastrack has always been about office stuff but the focus has changed. The Robotman strip has already been mentioned.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Good plan.

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Apartment 3-G

And Andertoons finally updated so here's a bunch.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

Vanagon confirmed!

yeah the artist at least did their homework.
the vans were pretty underpowered hence the overheating.
nostalgia driving up the cost these days. better to just get a much more modern class-B imo for safety and value

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

y'know, none of them actually know that the dog was a captive of anyone. they just kinda found her running around outside, anything could've happened from their POV!