Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Basebf555 posted:

Good luck sifting through all the nonsense when it comes to Stallone stuff. It seems like there's a story surrounding every movie he's ever been attached to. He's always feuding with somebody.

Stallone signed a bad contract for the original Rocky and Irwin Winkler owns the character completely. Stallone has been fighting for royalties for decades and finally decided he was tired of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
M:I-DR1 reviews are out, and they're pretty much universal acclaim.

Holy Christ, though, the total budget for both films is apparently over $800 million. For that much money, they'd drat well better be doing as much as possible practically, even if that means Cruise dodging real bullets.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I assume $400 mil per film must have the ad budget included in that number. A lot of times you'll hear about big blockbusters that cost $200 mil or $250 mil but it's not including advertising, which for something like Mission Impossible can definitely be just as much as the actual production budget. It's pretty much guaranteed to make over a billion worldwide so it's a pretty safe bet all things considered.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Those movies had crazy pandemic issues but even if they only break even in theaters they'll keep hoovering up money forever, they play on streaming / tv constantly

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
The days before the summer holidays are a drought in things to do in school, so I watched Creed III with my class. I really liked the first one, but never took the time to watch Creed II, mostly because I thought the change in directors surely must have hurt it. The third one, I had already heard mixed things about, and mostly came away liking it despite knowing about what an awful person Jonathan Majors is.

One thing that caught my attention during Creed III was the sparring scene between Adonis and the big guy, Ivan. Being vaguely aware that this was the end boss of the previous movie, those scenes felt extremely Dragonball Z to me, and they were a lot of fun. With those scenes in mind, Creed II was a ton of fun. Florian Munteanu was frankly incredible, I wouldn't have expected a mountain like that to have such an emotional arch. So, with some minor point deductions for the third one due to story structure, the Creed movies are 3 for 3 for me.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Payndz posted:

M:I-DR1 reviews are out, and they're pretty much universal acclaim.

Holy Christ, though, the total budget for both films is apparently over $800 million. For that much money, they'd drat well better be doing as much as possible practically, even if that means Cruise dodging real bullets.

I think this is where it all went:

https://twitter.com/TomCruise/status/1676622885991972865

I am hype AF, already got tickets to an early screening.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Grendels Dad posted:

The days before the summer holidays are a drought in things to do in school, so I watched Creed III with my class. I really liked the first one, but never took the time to watch Creed II, mostly because I thought the change in directors surely must have hurt it. The third one, I had already heard mixed things about, and mostly came away liking it despite knowing about what an awful person Jonathan Majors is.

One thing that caught my attention during Creed III was the sparring scene between Adonis and the big guy, Ivan. Being vaguely aware that this was the end boss of the previous movie, those scenes felt extremely Dragonball Z to me, and they were a lot of fun. With those scenes in mind, Creed II was a ton of fun. Florian Munteanu was frankly incredible, I wouldn't have expected a mountain like that to have such an emotional arch. So, with some minor point deductions for the third one due to story structure, the Creed movies are 3 for 3 for me.

Yup! Michael B Jordan gave a bunch of interviews where we nerded out about anime and stuffed the movie full of references. Super fun article here: https://www.polygon.com/23617380/michael-b-jordan-creed-3-interview-anime

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

MI was so good. It never felt like a slog and the set pieces are absolute bangers.

Tibbeh
Apr 5, 2010
I'm been feeling like going on a kung fu movie binge. Anyone got any recommendations?

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
I watched Karate Kill recently and really enjoyed it, low budget old school chop sockey from the guy who made Gun Woman.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Project A 2 and Snake in Eagle's Shadow, both are good classic Jackie Chan movies

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
I can always watch Meals On Wheels, Dragons Forever, or Millionaire's Express

My kids rewatched Mr Nice Guy this week

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Just noticed Eraser is available on Prime. This is probably the only Schwarzenegger action hero-era film I’ve never seen.

Is it worth a watch, or no?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

MrMojok posted:

Just noticed Eraser is available on Prime. This is probably the only Schwarzenegger action hero-era film I’ve never seen.

Is it worth a watch, or no?

Definitely

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
It's okay fun imo, moves quick enough and has a few moments...not top tier Arnold but it'll hold a dear place in my heart because I love Arnold movies where the villain he's physically matched up against is a comical contrast, like a dad in a chainmail silver mesh tanktop or 60 year old James Caan. The latter trying to scrap with Arnold does make for some hilarity. Don't have a heart attack or break your hip bro.
It's stupid even for a Schwarzenegger film and has some really terrible cgi alligators so those are both solid draws too.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I love Arnold movies where the villain he's physically matched up against is a comical contrast, like a dad in a chainmail silver mesh tanktop or 60 year old James Caan. The latter trying to scrap with Arnold does make for some hilarity. Don't have a heart attack or break your hip bro.

I rewatched Roadhouse recently, and you've gotta love it trying to suggest that Ben Gazzara is in any way a physical threat to Patrick Swayze.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I don't think I can remember anything about Eraser other than the gator tank and those bomb-rear end guns.

Oh, and I think Vanessa Williams downloaded a file. That's the only other thing.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
The only thing I remember about eraser is that it's the only Arnold movie that passes the bechdel test.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Watching Extraction 2 and honestly the CGI is incredibly distracting but the movies still decent.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

dokmo posted:

The only thing I remember about eraser is that it's the only Arnold movie that passes the bechdel test.

don't forget the guns

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The railguns in Eraser were rad as all poo poo.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013
Rambo 4 talk

Snowman_McK posted:

It didn't even look good at the time. It's a very weird film. on the one hand, hundreds of people getting shot in half is a pretty good time. On the other, there's some impressively gratuitous and nasty violence directed towards civilians in the first half, including children getting bayoneted and babies thrown into fires spoilered just in case.

Whoa... what version did I watch? I remember civilians being made to run through the rice fields full of landmines, women being auctioned off, summary executions, etc but I don't remember babies in fires or baynoted children .

In terms of it holding up - I'm not sure you'll ever get the same "holy gently caress!" reaction to watching it in 2008, but at the time it was a refreshing change to have unapologetic war-is-hell violence that took Saving Private Ryan to near comic book excess levels. With all the massive CGI action films and over complicated set pieces saving the world, it was a breath of fresh air to see a small scale, small stakes no-bullshit bloodbath.

Don't forget it wasn't long after Rock Balboa, too. Rocky had a similar history where he went from from "dramatic character piece" to "80s cartoon superhero meme" and was then brought back down to his roots years later. Seeing Rambo do a similar thing and recapturing the small, "personal war" feel of First Blood after the crazy "oiled chest machine gun guy" years felt right. And as someone said, the violence seems excessive and spiteful, but the whole film is a pressure cooker building up to a MASSIVE payoff.

Like anything, looking back you can see elements of the rot that would lead to the awful poo poo-show that was Rambo 5, but at the time it was refreshingly dirty and great.

Dog_Meat fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Jul 10, 2023

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I remember the fire baby. Some dude yeets a baby into the fire pit lol

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

CelticPredator posted:

I remember the fire baby. Some dude yeets a baby into the fire pit lol

But it's not until we see the bad guy with a boy that the film finally unleashes Rambo. Genocide... rape... baby murder... wait... GAYNESS?!?!?!

Lock and load...

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

re: Eraser chat
Therapist: Wide James Caan isn't real, he can't hurt you
Wide James Caan:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

James Caaaaaaaaan

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Not James Caan't!

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Feels like James Caan in the Way of the Gun could have posed a much better threat to Arnold.

The ending of that movie is kinda funny esp if you hate the elderly

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Dog_Meat posted:

Rambo 4 talk

Whoa... what version did I watch? I remember civilians being made to run through the rice fields full of landmines, women being auctioned off, summary executions, etc but I don't remember babies in fires or baynoted children .

It's in the village massacre. It goes by really quick but it's there. All the action is shot in shaky cam and they crank that up for the especially nasty violence.

The irony of Rambo 4 is that it's both the most violent Rambo movie and also the only one without a dedicated 'sneakily and brutally murdering the guys chasing him' sequence which is a time honoured Rambo tradition in every other Rambo film. It's the film with a rating that most easily lends itself to Rambo sneaking up on dudes and doing Mortal Kombat fatality stuff to them, and it has the fewest stealthy takedowns of any Rambo film.

Also, Rambo was in the last Mortal Kombat game and neither of his insane fatalities https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWZF5vSZKR4 are quite as nuts as how he kills the last bad guy in the last (dogshit) film.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Snowman_McK posted:

The irony of Rambo 4 is that it's both the most violent Rambo movie and also the only one without a dedicated 'sneakily and brutally murdering the guys chasing him' sequence which is a time honoured Rambo tradition in every other Rambo film. It's the film with a rating that most easily lends itself to Rambo sneaking up on dudes and doing Mortal Kombat fatality stuff to them, and it has the fewest stealthy takedowns of any Rambo film.

It's anything but stealthy but he does take down his pursuers with a massive dud bomb from WWII. He spent all his stealth points ripping throats out in the camp just before.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Snowman_McK posted:

It's in the village massacre. It goes by really quick but it's there. All the action is shot in shaky cam and they crank that up for the especially nasty violence.

Also, Rambo was in the last Mortal Kombat game and neither of his insane fatalities https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWZF5vSZKR4 are quite as nuts as how he kills the last bad guy in the last (dogshit) film.

I have never played this game, and that is one of the most hilariously ridiculous clips I’ve ever seen.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

MrMojok posted:

I have never played this game, and that is one of the most hilariously ridiculous clips I’ve ever seen.

Oh my god it just keeps going

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

MrMojok posted:

Yeah, I swear half of MK's developmental time and effort is spent on the fatalities. They're completely loving ridiculous and get more so in each game.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Gonz posted:

The railguns in Eraser were rad as all poo poo.

They showed up in some FPSs around that time (notably Quake 2 and Quake 3) pretty much exactly as in Eraser, complete with the swirly blue trail.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Oh man the South Korean The Roundup is drat loving good action film.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
Please note that Don Lee is in two different movies titled The Round-Up and they both have sequels and are both great

Edit. -and if you like watching him pummel people I can also recommend his movie Unstoppable

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I’ve mentioned this before, it’s not the cgi in Eraser that makes the alligators terrible, it’s the old-school film-based optical composite. I don’t have an in with whoever did this, but late 90’s composition was kinda my thing when I was up-and-coming, not a dude that didn’t get up and came

They’ve been doing this poo poo since before I was was born, and I’m old, and that’s the worst optical composite I’ve seen in a major release. Worst digital was opening night of Gladiator and that poo poo was fixed the week after.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Eraser rules, bad comp or not. "Railgun with an x-ray scope" is more than enough of a premise for a 90s action movie. Especially when he gets two

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Is Everly any good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Is Everly any good?

It's eh. Theres some rape I think, and the action isn't amazing. But there is some horror movie level of gore in some scenes so thats something.

I like Joe Lynch as a person so i watched it.