Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
gently caress Cordero and German.

Also, Tungsten Arm O'Doyle was recently photographed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Since the All Star Game is mid season in most sports, has there ever been serious conversation about whether players' performance in the back half of the previous season should be taken into account?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Kirios posted:

NGL STAC propping up the Yankee bullpen only for one of their relivers to immediately get suspended for the season is pretty funny.

The bullpen is like top in baseball. Cordero is part of it, big or small. Screw him. Suspend him. Remember when a domestic abuser helped win you a World Series and some were so happy for him? Only for Astros fans to now get a laugh out of a domestic abuser?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

The bullpen is like top in baseball. Cordero is part of it, big or small. Screw him. Suspend him. Remember when a domestic abuser helped win you a World Series and some were so happy for him? Only for Astros fans to now get a laugh out of a domestic abuser?

Oh right, the time we won the world series in 2019.

The defining moment of the 2019 Astros post season was when Altuve hit a series winning home run off of...who was it again?

zoux fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jul 5, 2023

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

zoux posted:

Oh right, the time we won the world series in 2019.

The defining moment of the 2019 Astros post season was when Altuve hit a series winning home run off of...who was it again?

The buzzer. He hit it off the buzzer.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

General Dog posted:

Since the All Star Game is mid season in most sports, has there ever been serious conversation about whether players' performance in the back half of the previous season should be taken into account?

Well it's based on fan votes and player/managerial voting so in a way it already is if that's the factor people use to vote.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Ross rightfully pissed about some really bad ump calls and the Brewers closing the roof in the middle of an inning.

https://twitter.com/ClubhouseCancer/status/1676377486110629888

The called strike 3s on Tauchman and Hoerner were egregiously bad, and the two worst calls in the game:

https://twitter.com/UmpScorecards/status/1676600672500736002

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Can we not have an argument about whose organization is the worst abuser-harborers? Any team that doesn't cut bait with these assholes is awful and calculating degrees just lightens the issue.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Ross rightfully pissed about some really bad ump calls and the Brewers closing the roof in the middle of an inning.

https://twitter.com/ClubhouseCancer/status/1676377486110629888

As far as I can tell the roof shenanigans were also rule breaking. Teams have the discretion to start the game with a stadium roof open or closed, but once that decision is made it can only be changed mid-game due to inclement weather. The weather was fine yesterday though, so the only reason they'd seemingly want to close the roof was because the afternoon sun was casting a ton of shadow onto the field and the Brewers figured closing the roof would improve visibility for their batters in the bottom of the inning.

idk even if it was totally benign in nature it was still really bizarre

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I thought the league office made the call on roof open or closed. I know for a fact you can't change it midgame, but what, do they fine the groundskeepers?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Maybe they should have thought about the shadows in their stadium for more then 5 seconds before building it. Every day game in Milwaukee it's an issue.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

mcmagic posted:

Stop jerking off.

You know I was getting tired of jerking off to my team winning the 2022 WS but now you gave me an idea. Looks like you're finally good for something after all

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Well Played Mauer posted:

Can we not have an argument about whose organization is the worst abuser-harborers? Any team that doesn't cut bait with these assholes is awful and calculating degrees just lightens the issue.

Every yankee fan who posts here wanted Chapman, German and Cordero cut from the team immediately. I don't remember that being true with the Osuna situation.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

Every yankee fan who posts here wanted Chapman, German and Cordero cut from the team immediately. I don't remember that being true with the Osuna situation.

Even if true, what does that have to do with anything in the post you're quoting?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

mcmagic posted:

The Cubs probably cursed themselves for another 108 years by trading for Chapman after his incident.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

zoux posted:

I thought the league office made the call on roof open or closed. I know for a fact you can't change it midgame, but what, do they fine the groundskeepers?

https://www.jsonline.com/story/spor...me/70382881007/

quote:

According to the Brewers' roof policies, the club has sole discretion over starting a game with the roof opened or closed, but mid-game changes require consultation with the umpiring crew chief.

Major League Baseball rules stipulate the roof shall only be closed in the event of adverse weather conditions, and the crew chief shall notify the visiting club, which can challenge the decision to close the roof if it feels that it creates a competitive imbalance. The umpires make a final decision after weighing the challenge.

The sun pouring through the windows near the roof on the first-base side of American Family Field have frequently created a challenging mixture of sunlight and shadows on the field during afternoon games like Tuesday's, a problem that remains in some part even when the roof is closed. It's uncommon for the Brewers to open or close the roof mid-game.

It did apparently rain a bit in other parts of Milwaukee so maybe that's why the umps allowed it? Supposedly Ross was allowed to challenge it but clearly he lost.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sydin posted:

https://www.jsonline.com/story/spor...me/70382881007/

It did apparently rain a bit in other parts of Milwaukee so maybe that's why the umps allowed it? Supposedly Ross was allowed to challenge it but clearly he lost.

did that count as his official challenge? Umps on the headphones and everything?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
No I think it's just that when the ump goes to inform the visiting club that the roof position is going to be changed, the manager is allowed to make a case for it not happening.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sydin posted:

No I think it's just that when the ump goes to inform the visiting club that the roof position is going to be changed, the manager is allowed to make a case for it not happening.

I'm kidding.

N: Yanier Diaz has hit his second HR of the day

V: https://twitter.com/Chandler_Rome/status/1670974151568261121

Why was Cesar Salazar even on the roster?????

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Remember when Korey Lee was supposed to be The Catcher of The Future™️?

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Free Yanier Diaz!!!! God I hope he becomes the primary catcher when Yordan returns but we all know what will happen

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Bout to be the Trade Piece for Stroman of the future

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Popete posted:

Maybe they should have thought about the shadows in their stadium for more then 5 seconds before building it. Every day game in Milwaukee it's an issue.

Stadiums in general face between north and east, but American Family Park faces south for some reason. Maybe they forgot to reorient it after it fell down during construction?

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Well Played Mauer posted:

It's complicated. Zero-tolerance policies (whether explicit or implicit) have a large adverse affect on reporting of abuse. MLB has a pretty strong DV policy, and can and does hand down suspensions without criminal charges. If teams have a handshake agreement not to employ any player who's served a DV suspension, the effect wouldn't be less DV, it'd be less reporting.

It doesn't make it feel less gross for your team or any team to pick up a player "at a discount" because of their abuse, but I don't think saying "any team that would employ Chapman/Osuna/German/etc is garbage and enabling abuse" is all that helpful either.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Wanna hear something hilarious?

We got him for Myles Straw. Thanks Cleveland!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Abuse is terrible, suspensions are justified. Broadly I believe in forgiveness and second chances. I have no idea how to judge when someone has earned that. What kind of suspension or time or forgiveness or community service gets you there. It’s really not my place to decide, it’s the victims. I just rather not have the guys on my team so I don’t have to wrestle with the awkwardness of the question.

I’m not gonna score points by saying the Yankees should cut a middling reliever. It’s weird that German is basically now locked into Yankee history. I have no idea what to do with that. I’ll probably learn to live with it. David Wells is kind of an rear end in a top hat too I think? I dunno. I just want to watch games and have fun and not have assholes ruin it whether they’re on the field, in the stands, online, or whatever.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jul 5, 2023

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
I feel bad for Korey Lee because its not like he ever got a solid opportunity really (so far, at least I feel like)

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Diaz/Lee starting next season with Maldy maybe becoming a coach would be nice. Feels like Lee is going to be tradebait though and I don't know that he's worth that much in a trade

Really hoping they don't fully panic and trade Gilbert

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

No fuckin way, that's Dana's boy. Also literally our only prospect.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

more falafel please posted:

It's complicated. Zero-tolerance policies (whether explicit or implicit) have a large adverse affect on reporting of abuse. MLB has a pretty strong DV policy, and can and does hand down suspensions without criminal charges. If teams have a handshake agreement not to employ any player who's served a DV suspension, the effect wouldn't be less DV, it'd be less reporting.

It doesn't make it feel less gross for your team or any team to pick up a player "at a discount" because of their abuse, but I don't think saying "any team that would employ Chapman/Osuna/German/etc is garbage and enabling abuse" is all that helpful either.

IIRC, there's a clause in the CBA where teams are not actually allowed to waive players that were suspended for DV

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
My gf flew EVA air last night and there were multiple Ohtani ads before the pre-flight safety video. She lands in Taipei and the Angels game is playing in the EVA lounge. Ohtani is so loving cool.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://twitter.com/AaronGleeman/status/1676663562771615747

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Gorman Thomas posted:

My gf flew EVA air last night and there were multiple Ohtani ads before the pre-flight safety video. She lands in Taipei and the Angels game is playing in the EVA lounge. Ohtani is so loving cool.

I feel so loving lucky to be alive while he’s playing baseball :D

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Kilometers Davis posted:

I feel so loving lucky to be alive while he’s playing baseball :D

I was at a conference in SF during the final of the WBC, so I went to a bar to watch it with some work friends. Except none of them particularly care about baseball, so when it became clear that Ohtani was gonna face Trout for potentially the last out, I was futilely trying to get across how absolutely loving insane it was that what was just about to happen was happening. The last time I had felt like that was 2016 game 7, when it felt like the gods of baseball had arranged fate specifically to make the coolest possible thing happen.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

IIRC, there's a clause in the CBA where teams are not actually allowed to waive players that were suspended for DV

Yeah, they cannot release him until the suspension is served. For whatever it's worth, you also don't get paid while suspended.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

drat Angels you just owned by the world's biggest baseball expert.

https://twitter.com/Jared_Carrabis/status/1676671240822554626?s=20

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

What kind of bizarro universe are we in? The best staff in baseball, the #1 and #2 draft picks of 2012, and we're still only winning half our games.

It's like we constantly return our 51-card deck for another one, over and over, forever.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/MLBastian/status/1676718442517258240

:rip: could very well be Madrigal's season, at a minimum he's out until mid-August. It's a shame his legs are made of hopes and dreams because he was finally starting to hit well.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

MrMidnight posted:

drat Angels you just owned by the world's biggest baseball expert.

https://twitter.com/Jared_Carrabis/status/1676671240822554626?s=20

Where's the lie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

https://twitter.com/MLBONFOX/status/1676743313230286850

Every year this bracket comes out and I am annoyed by some of the first-round matchups.

They never listen to my pure and good advice on how to improve the format, which is to not have any head-to-head in the first round at all. Let everyone hit for full time and then seed the top four based on that result.