Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Huh. Sounds like the leak was from January and involved a "consumer products" portal that someone found their way into animation files from. It's rather hard to find information on what all is in this given the current state of Twitter and that I do not seem to be in animation leak discords.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
At least one of those never released shows is another SpongeBob spinoff I'm sure

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
The issue is that while the creator might have been expressing a very specific background, it's in the context of being a Disney show. It's a company that exports its products to everywhere whether they want it or not, and tends to be much more risk-adverse. Normally they hire culture consultants to make sure there aren't going to be massive confusion when it's exposed to the -wider world-. Thus "oye primos" instead of "oigan primos" ends up taking more weight than it otherwise probably would have if it was some Fox show, whereas a show aimed at kids ends up having more of a "they're going to give people the wrong idea" moral panic.

Terremoto Heights is just a really weird choice for a gag that isn't really all that interesting to base their entire setting on. Like, the blandest observation about California, with the extra foot-in-mouth of accidentally referencing the horrifyingly devastating earthquakes that hit Mexico in the last 10-15 years.

Naming characters Cuqita and Gordita was also asking for trouble.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Larryb posted:

Were any of the previous Japanese adaptions of western comic books any good out of curiosity?

There was one Marvel copro so iconic and faithful to the original comic's vision that some purists call it the definitive version of the character.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1PePr8hAsc

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
if that was 500GB of emails it would be one thing but with a media company 500GB could just be one uncompressed Rugrats episode

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Randallteal posted:

There was one Marvel copro so iconic and faithful to the original comic's vision that some purists call it the definitive version of the character.

Yeah, that one was fun despite having very little to do with Spider-Man. Any others though?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Larryb posted:

Yeah, that one was fun despite having very little to do with Spider-Man. Any others though?

There was a Japan only Avengers cartoon called Disk Wars I think that was supposed to be fun if on the kiddy side of things

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

claw game handjob posted:

Huh. Sounds like the leak was from January and involved a "consumer products" portal that someone found their way into animation files from. It's rather hard to find information on what all is in this given the current state of Twitter and that I do not seem to be in animation leak discords.

I wonder if more entertainment conglomerates will see more hacks and leaks like this now that we've entered the age of media erasure for tax write off purposes, purely to see some of these voided out movies and TV shows scattered into the public domain and out of the grip of their corporate censors.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

nine-gear crow posted:

I wonder if more entertainment conglomerates will see more hacks and leaks like this now that we've entered the age of media erasure for tax write off purposes, purely to see some of these voided out movies and TV shows scattered into the public domain and out of the grip of their corporate censors.

I hope that if it's true it fucks up their attempts at writing off the shows. Like because they tried and failed to erase it, now not only do they have to pay taxes on it but the IRS are REALLY unhappy with them for trying to dodge it.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

BioEnchanted posted:

I hope that if it's true it fucks up their attempts at writing off the shows. Like because they tried and failed to erase it, now not only do they have to pay taxes on it but the IRS are REALLY unhappy with them for trying to dodge it.

I keep seeing "tax write offs" as the explanation for already produced and released shows being removed, but to my understanding, that write off only applies to unreleased productions. Shows being removed from streaming is more like outright getting canned and because they want to cut even those small outflows of residuals payments in an effort to cut costs (and in possible future anticipation of exclusive licensing agreements to lower tier services)

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

With Megas XLR it was some kind of tax thing that I don't really understand, with the more recent undoing media it's a bit more confusing, and there's not really any official reasons given, but the main suspicion is that it's being done to get out of having to pay out royalties, which I think also makes it a grievance in the writer's strike, so that may change over time.

After a show's run its course, it's no longer going to be a driving source of subscriptions, so in the accounting of streaming it will be seen as more of a liability than an asset (since it's still a new show, royalty payments will be higher). To be charitable to the big companies, it's mechanically not very different from a pre-internet show not getting reruns after it finishes, but it still sucks rear end (and I remember it sucked rear end when Nickelodeon just didn't air any reruns of Avatar so it was harder and harder to catch new episodes).

Randallteal posted:

This one I think was important in the development in the sentai genre.

There's plenty of just dubbed western stuff that's big in Japan, but I don't think any of the made-for-japan adaptations have hit the bigtime much. Western tropes constantly filter into Japanese media anyways.

Maybe if you count Transformers.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

With Megas XLR it was some kind of tax thing that I don't really understand, with the more recent undoing media it's a bit more confusing, and there's not really any official reasons given, but the main suspicion is that it's being done to get out of having to pay out royalties, which I think also makes it a grievance in the writer's strike, so that may change over time.

After a show's run its course, it's no longer going to be a driving source of subscriptions, so in the accounting of streaming it will be seen as more of a liability than an asset (since it's still a new show, royalty payments will be higher). To be charitable to the big companies, it's mechanically not very different from a pre-internet show not getting reruns after it finishes, but it still sucks rear end (and I remember it sucked rear end when Nickelodeon just didn't air any reruns of Avatar so it was harder and harder to catch new episodes).

There's plenty of just dubbed western stuff that's big in Japan, but I don't think any of the made-for-japan adaptations have hit the bigtime much. Western tropes constantly filter into Japanese media anyways.

Maybe if you count Transformers.

Not wanting to pay royalties and residuals anymore isn't a tax write off. It's a completely different thing but people keep calling these post cancelation delistings a tax write off which is mostly my point of contention.

There's two Japan produced spider-men btw that are independent from each other and in different mediums, but from around the same era. There's the toku Toei Spider-Man and there's also a manga version that more closely follows original comic and then also veers off wildly.

As for other made for Japan adaptations, there's Super Beast Wars which was traditionally animated and was run between the first season and fuzors (or w/e). It never aired in the US, but some of the toys did show up.

It's really only in the last decade or so where the Japanese and western markets have aligned enough financially and interest-wise where there's enough comfort in licensing US properties to do more than just a simple dub.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Thank you for the write up

SlothfulCobra posted:

IIRC it was one of the first in the genre.

Still holding out hope he shows up in Beyond the Spider-Verse. Also let Miles pilot the giant robot.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

claw game handjob posted:

A ton of series bibles got leaked and the source code for all their flash games. Nickelodeon is going after people pretty hard for posting stuff.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Electric Phantasm posted:

Still holding out hope he shows up in Beyond the Spider-Verse. Also let Miles pilot the giant robot.

Definitely the first to do it with a giant robot

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

He was in the Spider-verse comics and even met some of the other Japanese Spider- people, but I imagine there's some licensing hell via Toei for a screen adaptation despite the show being from the 70s

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Xelkelvos posted:

He was in the Spider-verse comics and even met some of the other Japanese Spider- people, but I imagine there's some licensing hell via Toei for a screen adaptation despite the show being from the 70s

They had the logo in the first BTSV teaser, I’d imagine rights were cleared back then.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

The_Doctor posted:

They had the logo in the first BTSV teaser, I’d imagine rights were cleared back then.

That might have been before they decided to split it into two movies so he might just be pushed back to part 2

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Didn't TMNT also get some Japanese only episodes?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Didn't TMNT also get some Japanese only episodes?

The '87 series got a 2 part OVA (which was never dubbed but we did get some toys from it in the west) and a manga that somewhat connected to said OVA, that's all I'm aware of though

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwqKg76GJCo

Doesn't look very good.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Wash it out with the opening to Beast Wars II

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLveiEHjB0E (OP 1)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jx2Ufr6FmM (OP2)

Notably, a number of series at the time, when exported to Japan from North America got their own original opening themes. The ones I know prominently are Beast Wars and X-Men the Animated Series.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I actually found the first OP to the Japanese dub of TMNT 2k3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZUs3XQ6fuY

Actual OP to establish credibility, and here's the song in full:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fwNJo7PBHE

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

IShallRiseAgain posted:

A ton of series bibles got leaked and the source code for all their flash games. Nickelodeon is going after people pretty hard for posting stuff.

ah yes source code for flash, something that got kille dlike 2 years ago?

man gently caress megacorps, literally doing nothing and they still get their panties in a bunch.

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010

IShallRiseAgain posted:

the source code for all their flash games.

drat, I bet a lot of lost internet media people are throwing a party rn.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

I think it might have been one of the first to have both a powered costumed hero and ALSO a giant robot. I find it funny that when it came back around, the Power Rangers played up being high school students balancing school, home, and saving the world, with a couple of bullying jocks who admire their heroic identities.

The rest of the sentai genre basically can be traced back to Thunderbirds and kabuki theatre.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The first two episodes of the new Superman cartoon are finally out, seems fun so far (also Clark literally has a magical girl transformation)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Jul 7, 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of, the first episode is now on YouTube:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=CuuZSAm-PaI

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
And a second episode is up too! But not for free.

This show is really adorable, and I don't think I've ever called a DC anything adorable before. It may not be the first time Clark's been portrayed as being a nice guy but I think this is the first time he's been portrayed as wholesome in a very cute way that makes you want to be his friend rather than have him come across as a kinda bland boy scout.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Argue posted:

And a second episode is up too! But not for free.

This show is really adorable, and I don't think I've ever called a DC anything adorable before. It may not be the first time Clark's been portrayed as being a nice guy but I think this is the first time he's been portrayed as wholesome in a very cute way that makes you want to be his friend rather than have him come across as a kinda bland boy scout.

The second episode’s on YouTube? Where (or did you just mean it was out in general, I know it’s on Adult Swim’s website for a price at least)?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Yeah, I meant in general--in this case, on the AS site.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of, it is kind of interesting/refreshing that the show doesn’t even bother going into the origin story (or at least, not fully) and instead just more or less gets right into the thick of it.

Also not only do Lois and Jimmy look like adult versions of Luz and Gus from The Owl House but they sort of act like them as well (I would not be surprised if Clark’s identity gets revealed to them sooner rather than later), though the former has some shades of SPoP Adora as well

Larryb fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jul 8, 2023

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Maybe Clark will reveal his identity to Lois and Jimmy and only give them exclusive interviews as a way to get back at Perry for screwing them out of the byline in episode 2. Kinda like Spiderman's deal to let Peter be his sole photographer for the Bugle.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Just by and by, the overwhelmingly positive response makes me real happy. It's a very kind and cute show and the crew was likewise. I know a 3rd season is pending on audience response and I'll definitely be happy to return if that happens.

(But also feel free to criticize! Unless it's my specific BGs, then you're just dumb and wrong. :v:)

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Das Boo posted:

Just by and by, the overwhelmingly positive response makes me real happy. It's a very kind and cute show and the crew was likewise. I know a 3rd season is pending on audience response and I'll definitely be happy to return if that happens.

(But also feel free to criticize! Unless it's my specific BGs, then you're just dumb and wrong. :v:)

Hey, awesome work! Some people in the BSS thread were asking if Studio Mir worked on this; are you able/allowed to confirm or deny that?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Argue posted:

Hey, awesome work! Some people in the BSS thread were asking if Studio Mir worked on this; are you able/allowed to confirm or deny that?

I can now! Yes, it's Studio Mir. We kiiiinda suspect they outsourced a lot of S1, but they were 100% behind the S2 wheel.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If I had to criticize I'd say that Metropolis feels rather sparse population-wise and the Daily Planet should be a fair bit busier given that it is a newsroom. But that's a minor point and it could change for all I know now that the main cast is established.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Xelkelvos posted:

I keep seeing "tax write offs" as the explanation for already produced and released shows being removed, but to my understanding, that write off only applies to unreleased productions. Shows being removed from streaming is more like outright getting canned and because they want to cut even those small outflows of residuals payments in an effort to cut costs (and in possible future anticipation of exclusive licensing agreements to lower tier services)

My understanding is that it's also possible to do a different tax write off thing where you can mark a show as substantially underperforming compared to your original projections and cancel out some of the tax you had originally spread to pay over the lifetime of the project. It's not as effective as a Batgirl type write-off but it seems that between that claim back and the royalties cancellation it's theoretically worth doing for these. (Although it'll likely have more of a negative effect in the long run, but it'll help boost this quarter)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jul 8, 2023

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Arc Hammer posted:

If I had to criticize I'd say that Metropolis feels rather sparse population-wise and the Daily Planet should be a fair bit busier given that it is a newsroom. But that's a minor point and it could change for all I know now that the main cast is established.

You're not wrong; the budget was shoestring as hell. There's definitely some hard decisions being made on crowd shots and the like. It's suspected that the low cost of the show was a major factor in what saved us from Zaslav's axe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Even if the show is low cost it still looks great especially the facial expressions.