Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Shoop the bubble screen master

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

KDdidit posted:

Shoop the bubble screen master

Crowton in '99! Shoop was the architect of the '01 -'03 'offense'. 11th, 27th, 23rd in points scored which is .. actually fairly good for the Bears.

For comparison, Terry Shea led the offense to 32nd in '04. I'm frankly shocked that that's the only year they've ever finished in the bottom 3 points per game in the NFL.

its been a rough century

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

'01 bears is probably my favorite football season I've ever seen.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

R.D. Mangles posted:

'01 bears is probably my favorite football season I've ever seen.

the highlight of my sports fandom was playing foosball in one apartment when people burst out of another one yelling about a hail mary; then running over to see the replay and immediate pick six

the lowlight were these two plays on MNF towards the end zone I was in
1 10:56 Packers Donald Driver 85 yard pass from Brett Favre (Ryan Longwell kick) 7 0
3 8:53 Packers Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila 72 yard interception return (Ryan Longwell kick) 31 14

and then the even worse lowlight with awful reffing in the Patriots game where Brady threw an INT that got calvin johnson ruled into an incomplete, but was spotted where the INT happened so he did a qb 'sneak' for 3 yards on 4th down in the official play by play before throwing a game winning td over urlacher

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jul 5, 2023

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Lol wait what. They called it an incomplete but spotted it where the pass was not caught?

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

MJeff posted:

Lol wait what. They called it an incomplete but spotted it where the pass was not caught?
I actually found the old video and was completely wrong!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLhN9eAkd_Y
at 2:21:35, ball is spotted/snapped from just short of the 30. This leads to the incomplete INT and review.

At 2:28:28 the ball is spotted at right around the same spot. It gets shifted forward a bit by the center but nothing egregious.

The markers still said 2nd and 1 when they stopped the game after the sneak, never measured, then conferred and gave them the first down.

I was just convinced that the Bears were somehow cheated when watching it from the stands, like when the refs cheated for Michigan during the game there a year prior (and the Big Ten issued an apology for the two blown fumble calls and Lloyd Carr whined about it). https://www.news-gazette.com/sports/the-fumble-game-illinois-vs-michigan-20-years-later/article_a5cbd0c7-fdfe-53d3-961e-de9b9f8ecb9c.html
I probably created a false memory when I later checked the play by play and mixed up the refs blowing the play after the sneak dead and the lack of spot , with a 'how did he sneak for 3 yards' on the actual play.

Woops! I retract my accusation about the refs and will instead blame Dick Jauron for loving up that play.

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.

trevorreznik posted:

That was all 01

The two Mike Brown tds were both in OT in back to back weeks
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200110280chi.htm

I’ll never forget watching this game with my 49er fan roommate where he went from boastful to incredulous to shotgunning a beer with me after the pick six.

Next weekend we went to a bar and watched Brown do the same poo poo.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

my dad left the browns game early

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

R.D. Mangles posted:

Never leave early. Traffic sucks, just deal. Also '01? Like what you like, but '06 had hester, a monster defense, the most bears way of qbs, and denny green (rip).

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

ZombieCrew posted:

Never leave early. Traffic sucks, just deal. Also '01? Like what you like, but '06 had hester, a monster defense, the most bears way of qbs, and denny green (rip).

To this day I still crown em

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.

ZombieCrew posted:

I almost left that game at halftime.

My wife told me to sit back down.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

R.D. Mangles posted:

My dad was a Browns season ticket holder in the 80s and he was at "The Drive" game. He probably should've left the Browns game early.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

JGdmn posted:

I almost left that game at halftime.

My wife told me to sit back down.

I was in college in Boston for the '06 Arizona game. It was a mishmash of friends from my suburban Chicago high school who were all going to different colleges in Boston, as well as the Fenway Park organist, who grew up in Evanston and knew one of my friends who was interning with the Red Sox at the time. When Hester returned the TD, we got so loud in my friend's apartment that neighbors on both sides of us started pounding on the walls for us to shut up.

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I was in college in Boston for the '06 Arizona game. It was a mishmash of friends from my suburban Chicago high school who were all going to different colleges in Boston, as well as the Fenway Park organist, who grew up in Evanston and knew one of my friends who was interning with the Red Sox at the time. When Hester returned the TD, we got so loud in my friend's apartment that neighbors on both sides of us started pounding on the walls for us to shut up.

It was a special game.

Was weird getting back to our hotel and turning on ESPN and seeing all the poo poo I didn’t catch from being in the nosebleeds and half drunk.

Everyone singing Bear Down as we funneled down the stairs was hilarious. Felt like the stadium was 75% Bears fans.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

JGdmn posted:

Everyone singing Bear Down as we funneled down the stairs was hilarious. Felt like the stadium was 75% Bears fans.

I had the same experience in Cleveland after game 7:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWXLwp3-af8

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
Chicago fans travel well when their teams do well. Chicago has also been exporting people across the country for 3 decades so there are significant fanbases in most major cities or their burbs. Too bad most of the teams are poo poo most of the time.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

ZombieCrew posted:

Chicago fans travel well when their teams do well. Chicago has also been exporting people across the country for 3 decades so there are significant fanbases in most major cities or their burbs. Too bad most of the teams are poo poo most of the time.

even when the teams are poo poo they travel well.

It's just usually they aren't loud when the teams are poo poo lol.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Dexo posted:

even when the teams are poo poo they travel well.

It's just usually they aren't loud when the teams are poo poo lol.

Yep. That was me at the Dallas game last year.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Terrible news: my four year old declared that he wanted to support the Bears, like daddy. Told him this would mean lots of being sad, like daddy. He was not put off by this.

He also asked for a shirt with 25 on it so I guess Trestan Ebner made a real impression on him.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Not gonna go with a throwback Brad Muster jersey?

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Party Boat posted:

Terrible news: my four year old declared that he wanted to support the Bears, like daddy. Told him this would mean lots of being sad, like daddy. He was not put off by this.

He also asked for a shirt with 25 on it so I guess Trestan Ebner made a real impression on him.

Maybe he's just a Garrett Wolfe fan

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Have him jump in with both feet, get him an account

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Sorry Mangles

Northwestern bad

Spoilered for content warning.

https://twitter.com/thedailynu/status/1677735104599187457

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

fire his rear end

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/ESPNRittenberg/status/1677849108852375557

lmao

This didn't happen, but if it did Pat Had no knowledge of it.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
You only get one opportunity this golden to fire an extremely entrenched coach at a bottomed out program without having to pay him and this is all you can muster?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Really didn't think northwestern football can be more embarrassing than "being northwestern football"

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
Just fire the coach and team, you don't need players to be this bad.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/thedailynu/status/1678456863405293573

Aye this poo poo is loving wild.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

jesus christ

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

I regret to inform you that I'm now an enemy of Northwestern Athletics

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

GNU Order posted:

I regret to inform you that I'm now an enemy of Northwestern Athletics

I always have been, but now I feel righteous in that decision.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/_kaylacohen/status/1678478567984726019?s=20

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

I'm starting to think there is a problem at Northwestern.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
https://www.thedrawplay.com/comic/offseason-chaos-predictions/

Shoutout to Febreze for correctly identifying the entire NFC North as the only division to be fully committed to Chaos. All four teams will engage in maximum chaos in the upcoming season by this prediction, and I for one could not be happier or prouder.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

sweet geek swag posted:

Yeah they almost formed a union a couple years ago

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

sweet geek swag posted:

I love all this is happening while they try to build a new monstrosity of a stadium (that seats fewer purple than the current stadium).

But Jesus just fire Fitzgerald, he sucks as a person and a coach.

I'm leaving the purple autocorrect, seems appropriate.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/PeteThamel/status/1678535730967072773

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Crazy to think there's an alternate universe where he parlayed a couple of 10-win seasons against baby-soft schedules into a head coaching gig with the Bears because Chicago media and fans have a hard time extending their imagination outside the greater metropolitan area

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

xbilkis posted:

Crazy to think there's an alternate universe where he parlayed a couple of 10-win seasons against baby-soft schedules into a head coaching gig with the Bears because Chicago media and fans have a hard time extending their imagination outside the greater metropolitan area

Very funny that the thing that helped him continually get raises despite being mid(the top flight journalism school and being able to push bullshit about him getting NFL jobs through many NU alums in media) turned out to be the downfall(kids in the journalism school doing very very good reporting.)