Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

more falafel please posted:

I was at a conference in SF during the final of the WBC, so I went to a bar to watch it with some work friends. Except none of them particularly care about baseball, so when it became clear that Ohtani was gonna face Trout for potentially the last out, I was futilely trying to get across how absolutely loving insane it was that what was just about to happen was happening. The last time I had felt like that was 2016 game 7, when it felt like the gods of baseball had arranged fate specifically to make the coolest possible thing happen.

It still feels like some false memory I created in my head lmao. So awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bawfuls posted:

https://twitter.com/MLBONFOX/status/1676743313230286850

Every year this bracket comes out and I am annoyed by some of the first-round matchups.

They never listen to my pure and good advice on how to improve the format, which is to not have any head-to-head in the first round at all. Let everyone hit for full time and then seed the top four based on that result.

Might be the least exciting HRD lineup I've seen in a long time.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

put in morel you cowards

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Sydin posted:

It's pretty sad yes

They should have put someone like Jorge Soler in

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Stadiums in general face between north and east, but American Family Park faces south for some reason. Maybe they forgot to reorient it after it fell down during construction?

Guaranteed Rate Field/Comiskey faces SE too and I’m not sure why. Maybe they just didn’t want to look towards the north side. Not that they would’ve had downtown views or anything if they faced NE, but probably better than SE.

And when did I miss they changed Miller Park to American Family Park?

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.

Kirios posted:

Where's the lie

That man has never left his house, much less been to LA

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

bawfuls posted:

https://twitter.com/MLBONFOX/status/1676743313230286850

Every year this bracket comes out and I am annoyed by some of the first-round matchups.

They never listen to my pure and good advice on how to improve the format, which is to not have any head-to-head in the first round at all. Let everyone hit for full time and then seed the top four based on that result.

Sydin posted:

Listen, you have to put Mookie and Vlad against each other in the first round so that everyone interesting is completely gassed by the semifinal, paving the way for yet another bland-rear end Pete Alonso win.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Adley Rutschman is cool, should have put in guys like Joc Pederson and Patrick Wisdom though.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
bring up that minor league kid who hit one over 500 feet

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
https://twitter.com/SamuelAdams_12/status/1676770647354081280

lmao

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
this is Wilson Contreras fault

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

The Marlins are 21-5 in one-run games :psyduck:

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.

Popete posted:

this is Wilson Contreras fault

The worst thing that ever happened to the Cubs was Wilson Contreras leaving.

The best thing that ever happened to the Cubs was Wilson Contreras leaving.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Proposal to change Cardinals Devil Magic to Marlins Devil Magic.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Sure would have been nice for the Phillies to pick up a game but noooooo

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Kirios posted:

Proposal to change Cardinals Devil Magic to Marlins Devil Magic.
The Marlins are 100% Devil Magic this year and also I am Satan

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
I've been bandwagoning the Marlins hard ever since the Pirates fell off in May. And then called up Henry Davis and refused to play him at catcher

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

FlamingLiberal posted:

The Marlins are 100% Devil Magic this year and also I am Satan

pure chaos energy, continually winning in the stupidest possible ways

as much as the Braves have owned them this year i think it might be a problem if they're the only team the Marlins can't beat

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I was listening to the end of this game in the shower. I was so excited about the Walker homer in the top of the 9th that I forgot I was showering for a bit. After that ending I was so defeated I had to just lean my head against the wall and let the disappointment flow through and out of me down the drain.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
hell yes i checked and they were up 1 with 2 outs and figured they'd win and gently caress up draft position/give mo more leverage not to sell the team, but thank god for this clown team

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

Jesus Christ what a loving loser. The ways this team has found to lose games this year are incredible

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

Mike_V posted:

hell yes i checked and they were up 1 with 2 outs and figured they'd win and gently caress up draft position/give mo more leverage not to sell the team, but thank god for this clown team

The one thing I'd ask from our fan base right now is a little bit of patience, because we do think that we do have the talent to win.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Didn't Elly De La Cruz hit one like 480 feet already, put him in

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.

They improved on every one of these tonight

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Hey at least the Cardinals aren't alone in the NL Central with a bad throw to 1st losing their team the game in the 9th, Brewers did it too.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Tauchman for Ohtani who says no?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Poque posted:

Throw in Trout and maybe we can talk

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Bismack Billabongo posted:

The one thing I'd ask from our fan base right now is a little bit of patience, because we do think that we do have the talent to win.

i want to see local media actually throw a fastball to Mozeliak or at least bother dewitt for an interview.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Popete posted:

Throw in Trout and maybe we can talk

That injured bum? Maybe the Cubs would take his contract, but Angels would have to sweeten the pot.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Also I'd just like to go on record that this stupid loving thing Adames is doing where he refuses to make eye contact with the pitcher until the last possible second and if the pitcher goes nah buddy you're clearly ready and throws the pitch anyway he cries to the umpire is bush league as gently caress. Absolute loving tool.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

Mike_V posted:

i want to see local media actually throw a fastball to Mozeliak or at least bother dewitt for an interview.

Pretty sure he lives in Chicago. Maybe the Ricketts have his number

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Poque posted:

Tauchman, probably

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Popete posted:

Hey at least the Cardinals aren't alone in the NL Central with a bad throw to 1st losing their team the game in the 9th, Brewers did it too.

https://twitter.com/MLBastian/status/1676785711633117189

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Milovan Drecun posted:

They improved on every one of these tonight

Five years without a CGSHO and then 2 in as many weeks lol

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
Pirates lose after 2 NOBLETIGERs in the same game. Beautiful

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

thehoodie posted:

The dodgers bullpen loves to flirt with disaster. Better than full-on making out with it, which is what they had been doing

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Significantly less brutal than Hicks's throw though

thehoodie posted:

I truly hate that NOBLETIGER has supplanted the far superior grand strand

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Davey Martinez trying to prevent all fun

https://theathletic.com/4669657/2023/07/06/david-martinez-elly-de-la-cruz-bat-inspection/?source=user_shared_article

quote:

Martinez said he wasn’t trying to penalize De La Cruz by speaking with the umpires: “I love the way he plays the game. I didn’t like his antics after he hit the home run. We can do without that. He’s only got two weeks in the big leagues. But he’s gonna be a good player.”

Apparently he had some swing metrics sensor stuck to his bat. Martinez questioned it, but it’s legal. The umps shrugged and made him take it off for an at-bat (a K), then he put it back on and hit a dinger. He pointed to the sensor, and something something unwritten rules.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
That's actually pretty weird they let him swing a bat with a sensor on it, I'd have assumed that was illegal. Looks like a Blast Motion sensor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Luigi Thirty posted:

Davey Martinez trying to prevent all fun

https://theathletic.com/4669657/2023/07/06/david-martinez-elly-de-la-cruz-bat-inspection/?source=user_shared_article

Apparently he had some swing metrics sensor stuck to his bat. Martinez questioned it, but it’s legal. The umps shrugged and made him take it off for an at-bat (a K), then he put it back on and hit a dinger. He pointed to the sensor, and something something unwritten rules.

Martinez has really lost it this year.