Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

greazeball posted:

Twitter embeds broke for me a while ago. They had been enabled and then just stopped one day. I've tried disabling them in the options and re-enabling them but no dice. This is on my Fairphone and also on my Samsung tablet. I don't see anyone else talking about this but it's weird that it hasn't resolved itself and they never stopped working on my PC. I know Twitter is the source of the problem, not the app, but is there anything else I can try?

Update to this, I'm in the states on holiday (op was made from Europe) and twitter is embedding for me now (most of the time, twitter is still janky though)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

A while ago I got signed out of the app, and now whenever I try to login it throws me Login Failed. It's not my credentials, I use a password manager and obviously posting here.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I have a feature request. I read a few threads that include massive effortposts, and it's kind of a pain to scroll all the way up to the top of the post so I can access the menu and say "mark post last read". Could we get one of these two features, please?

- add the three-dots menu to the bottom of each post as well as the top
- add a "mark previous post read" option to the menu

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Every time I open the app, it defaults to the Favorites screen, which I don't use. Could we have an option to have it default to the forum index or bookmarks?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Pope Guilty posted:

Every time I open the app, it defaults to the Favorites screen, which I don't use. Could we have an option to have it default to the forum index or bookmarks?

What is the Favorites screen?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Pope Guilty posted:

Tap the little star in the top right and it'll go back to defaulting to the forum index

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I have a feature request. I read a few threads that include massive effortposts, and it's kind of a pain to scroll all the way up to the top of the post so I can access the menu and say "mark post last read". Could we get one of these two features, please?

Seconded

hooah posted:

What is the Favorites screen?

It trims the forums list to the ones you like. It's a bookmark star in the top right. Hold-click a forum from the list to favorite it then click the star to filter by those.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Harold Fjord posted:

Seconded

It trims the forums list to the ones you like. It's a bookmark star in the top right. Hold-click a forum from the list to favorite it then click the star to filter by those.

I have never noticed that starbefore! Interesting.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Michaellaneous posted:

A while ago I got signed out of the app, and now whenever I try to login it throws me Login Failed. It's not my credentials, I use a password manager and obviously posting here.

Remove/reinstall and try again?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

sourdough posted:

Tap the little star in the top right and it'll go back to defaulting to the forum index

Thank you!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I forgot to say this in my previous post: thank you to the devs of the Awful App! I use it all the time. Fantastic work!

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

It's true and I'm tired of pretending it isn't
Using dark mode, and one person's posts have a red background, what's that about?

e: nvm it's the "Mark user" function

erosion fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Jul 4, 2023

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

same, this would be a great improvement
I vote for the second option

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Montague Tigg posted:

same, this would be a great improvement
I vote for the second option

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Sometimes I open a thread with a YouTube embed, go back to my bookmarks, open another thread, and the app locks up my entire phone (garbage collecting youtube poo poo maybe?) to the point where only the home button works and I have to clear apps from there

Is there anything to be done about this

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Midjack posted:

Remove/reinstall and try again?

First thing I tried, including installing the beta branch. Nothing works.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
getting a "page not found" error when following this link because this lunatic is using 10 posts per page i think floor(pagenumber * (perpage / 40)) would give the right page number?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

butt dickus posted:

getting a "page not found" error when following this link because this lunatic is using 10 posts per page i think floor(pagenumber * (perpage / 40)) would give the right page number?

10 posts per page is clearly superior, much more frequent breaks and it's but like I need to spend meaningful time to load content in advance.

Anyway, maybe the copy thread URL feature from the kebab in threads should just copy the thread URL, not the page number?

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Private messages that I have since deleted still appear in Awful app. Is there a way to clean up the list or re-delete the messages?

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

So I'm going to necro the "can't attach files" on the android app. It just tells me I never gave it permissions even though I was never prompted. The thing is I could on my old phone, but after installing it on my new phone, it just refuses to check for permissions. There's no permissions at all to play with in the permission manager as if it won't install properly on recent OS versions. I've checked developer options, reinstalled, nada.

I can use the app fine, but it's missing all kinds of settings in the app too that were there on my older android.

TypeOneWombat
Jun 9, 2023

Grey Cat posted:

So I'm going to necro the "can't attach files" on the android app. It just tells me I never gave it permissions even though I was never prompted. The thing is I could on my old phone, but after installing it on my new phone, it just refuses to check for permissions. There's no permissions at all to play with in the permission manager as if it won't install properly on recent OS versions. I've checked developer options, reinstalled, nada.

I can use the app fine, but it's missing all kinds of settings in the app too that were there on my older android.

I'm here to bring up the same issue, it says I didn't give the app permissions, but I can't give it permissions via the app or the phone settings.

I've only had the app on this phone (Pixel 7 Pro) so I don't know what is and isn't working properly.

TypeOneWombat fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jul 16, 2023

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

TypeOneWombat posted:

(Pixel 7 Pro)

Have you gotten it to stop dinging at you when you save pictures, because it's driving me crazy

TypeOneWombat
Jun 9, 2023

Inspector Hound posted:

Have you gotten it to stop dinging at you when you save pictures, because it's driving me crazy

I honestly don't notice it, my phone is permanently on silent.

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

Michaellaneous posted:

First thing I tried, including installing the beta branch. Nothing works.

The symptoms sound like what happens if you get hit by a captcha. I wrote a PR a while ago that fixes that in Awful. If you know how to build Android apps you can fetch that PR and install a build with it on your phone, it might help.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
No automatic dark/light mode in Android? iOS has had it for years. Years!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Whoops, thought you were talking about Android in general.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Why would anyone have anything but dark mode at all times anyway??

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Skarsnik posted:

I think it's an age thing, but dark mode hurts my eyes after a bit and makes then blur as though I'm about to have a migraine after five minutes or so. It's not so bad if the background is that sort of grey color Discord uses, but most dark mode I've seen is just white on black. I used to be all about it! But not so much anymore.

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

Skarsnik posted:

My phone has an eInk screen. Dark mode is the worst.

Llyr
Mar 24, 2010

Music is the best
Previewing a post with a video bbcode shows a blank.

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":
I think a nice feature would be the ability to hide threads, even if it's just a locally saved list. There are certain popular threads that I am just absolutely not interested in at all and will never be interested in.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

A corresponding app change for this would be appreciated:

Pragmatica posted:

alright, good news time! i talked to Jeffrey! this was a pretty simple logic fix, and it is live now. posts will flag as reported before giving you the box to type in a reason. :woop:

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
What happened to the handy dandy bookmarks widget?

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
It's no longer a widget but instead an app shortcut. Long press the Awful app, then in the little sheet that comes up long press Bookmarks. That will let you drop the app shortcut to Bookmarks on your home screen.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
Bless you goon sir!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Is there something that can be done so I can add YouTube videos to my queue without having to open them in the YouTube app? The videos play in the Awful app just fine, but pressing the three dot menu only gives me the option to share the video, not to save it in a playlist.

Just annoying having to switch apps to save something to watch later.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
The app is great and I use it every day - thank you!

Request: would it be possible for the (USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST) text in a post to link to the corresponding rap sheet entry, like it does when viewed in a web browser?

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

I used to be able to embed photos from my phone (iPhone 14 pro), but the app won't let me anymore--when I click [img] it adds the [url=][/url] tags. Any ideas?

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Judgy Fucker posted:

I used to be able to embed photos from my phone (iPhone 14 pro), but the app won't let me anymore--when I click [img] it adds the [url=][/url] tags. Any ideas?

Hmm, are you hitting "insert image" or "insert imgur"? "Image" just brings me URL, "Imgur" lets me do both. I don't know how different the Android/iPhone apps are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Inspector Hound posted:

Hmm, are you hitting "insert image" or "insert imgur"? "Image" just brings me URL, "Imgur" lets me do both. I don't know how different the Android/iPhone apps are.

I've never even seen an "imgur" option before.

I copy the photo I want to embed, tap and hold to bring up the menu, select [img], which then populates the post with [url=][/url]. Previously, I would copy the photo, tap to bring up the menu, then select [img] would prompt something else that let me embed the image (I don't remember the precise steps, not something I did a lot).