Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

"gently caress all those other dogs; we got back the one we care about, and that's all that matters. Dog-fighting ring? Never heard about it. Get off my lawn."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Murdstone posted:

It does look like it's his tongue sticking out within his protruding lip, which is really weird if you try to do it yourself.

This is making me try to think of how many comic strips have changed their premise. Like Barney Google and Snuffy Smith is now basically just Snuffy Smith. Fritzi Ritz became Nancy. On the Fastrack has always been about office stuff but the focus has changed. The Robotman strip has already been mentioned.
'Ernie' got renamed 'The Piranha Club' at some point, I think because the focus had been sliding from Ernie to his sleazebag uncle and his fellow sleazebag friends for years.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

"gently caress all those other dogs; we got back the one we care about, and that's all that matters. Dog-fighting ring? Never heard about it. Get off my lawn."
Yeah if we just sort of end the story here what the hell.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

It seems like "a few pounds" a lot of weight for a dachshund?

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Our Boarding House (March 27-29, 1924)

Toonerville Folks (June 2-4, 1921)

Dok's "Bloody Tourists" Duck (October 24, 1914)

Little Lefty (October 17-18, 1938; no strip on the 19th)

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Fingerpori

Näköispatsas = statue in someone's likeness, literally "likeness-statue"
The last panel translates more to something like "Statues in someone's likeness are not today's thing/not trendy these days", but I tried to go for a less clunky English phrasing that gets the idea across.

Here's Tove Jansson, the creator of the Moomins.

ANSU

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (August 01, 2001)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

Or what? He’s cranking hog on Lake Ontario?

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

don Jaime posted:

I doubt anyone who thinks homelessness is a cutesy premise for a comic strip is capable of telling any kind of story well.

They aren't homeless, that's not the premise. They are living in their backyard while their house is remodelled, it's practically a one episode sitcom plot, or enough material for maybe a week of comic strips.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Yeah they're not able to live indoors but they're still on their own private property so they're going to dodge a lot of problems of actual homelessness, I reckon.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
So, I'm only barely initiated on Kevin & Kell, but when the hell did a little human boy come into it? That really seems to throw a spanner in the works of the whole "predators and prey animals as a metaphor for racism" concept that has never worked as an appropriate parallel for real life race relations any time it's been done.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I AM GRANDO posted:

Or what? He’s cranking hog on Lake Ontario?

I don't remember that verse from Edmund Fitzgerald.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

emSparkly posted:

So, I'm only barely initiated on Kevin & Kell, but when the hell did a little human boy come into it? That really seems to throw a spanner in the works of the whole "predators and prey animals as a metaphor for racism" concept that has never worked as an appropriate parallel for real life race relations any time it's been done.

The human's mother is a human, transformed into a rabbit when she dimensionally swapped with her rabbit counterpart via magic bird portals. She still managed to have some human DNA pass on when she had her son with her fox husband. Does this help?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

emSparkly posted:

i hope this teaches you not to ask questions about kevin & kell, but here you go :

Kevin & Kell is set in an alternate timeline to our universe, where after destroying the world and ourselves all humanity has gone extinct. In our wake, birds are the next species to gain sapience and using the remnants of our civilisation they determine that humanity was a mistake, so they build a time machine and go back before humans ever evolved in order to ascend and manage the sapience of all other animal species.

However, multiverse rules mean that this alternate timeline runs parallel to our timeline at the same space, and a weakening barrier allows the idea of a fictional race of "humans" to arise in the Killverse, which creates a further weakening of the barrier leading to a 'hole' near the Bermuda Triangle (I think?) that allows passage between the two.

This 'hole' "corrects" things between it, so animals travelling from the Killverse to the Humanverse transform to humans and vice-versa (since despite being a radically different timeline, all the same people still exist between the worlds), and Danielle HumanPerson accidentally finds her way into the hole where she is transformed into a Rabbit since Danielle in Killverse was a rabbit - but she died years earlier, so Danielle HumanPerson takes her identity until she can figure out a way home.

Then she decides she doesn't want to go home and has a baby, who because Holbrook has human DNA due to one of his parents being a secret human who is not really a rabbit. So he's just a fulltime mythical animal nobody ever questions who in canon should also be passively destroying the universe due to his lack of 'instincts' weakening the barrier separating the timelines.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!

Ghostlight posted:

i hope this teaches you not to ask questions about kevin & kell, but here you go :

Kevin & Kell is set in an alternate timeline to our universe, where after destroying the world and ourselves all humanity has gone extinct. In our wake, birds are the next species to gain sapience and using the remnants of our civilisation they determine that humanity was a mistake, so they build a time machine and go back before humans ever evolved in order to ascend and manage the sapience of all other animal species.

However, multiverse rules mean that this alternate timeline runs parallel to our timeline at the same space, and a weakening barrier allows the idea of a fictional race of "humans" to arise in the Killverse, which creates a further weakening of the barrier leading to a 'hole' near the Bermuda Triangle (I think?) that allows passage between the two.

This 'hole' "corrects" things between it, so animals travelling from the Killverse to the Humanverse transform to humans and vice-versa (since despite being a radically different timeline, all the same people still exist between the worlds), and Danielle HumanPerson accidentally finds her way into the hole where she is transformed into a Rabbit since Danielle in Killverse was a rabbit - but she died years earlier, so Danielle HumanPerson takes her identity until she can figure out a way home.

Then she decides she doesn't want to go home and has a baby, who because Holbrook has human DNA due to one of his parents being a secret human who is not really a rabbit. So he's just a fulltime mythical animal nobody ever questions who in canon should also be passively destroying the universe due to his lack of 'instincts' weakening the barrier separating the timelines.

Sorry I asked.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

catlord posted:

I'm pretty sure in the blurb about the comic when it started that the kid talking to animals was going to be the main thing, so I was also assuming that the renovation would be wrapping up after that ability was established. Maybe the primary setting is going to be this uncle's house?
I don't know how or why this unremarkable comic is breaking people's minds like this. The premise is that a family is camping in their backyard while their house is renovated, and one of the kids talks to animals. That kid can still talk to animals and will do so again, and they'll be back to the backyard after the stay at the uncle's. The renovations will take an implausibly long time so as to preserve the status quo. Sometimes they'll get to stay somewhere else for a while before returning to the backyard. Sometimes the comic will follow one of the family members, and other times they'll do something together. It's not about homelessness or people who are homeless. They have a house that they are voluntarily choosing not to live in so that it can be renovated.

Murdstone posted:

This is making me try to think of how many comic strips have changed their premise. Like Barney Google and Snuffy Smith is now basically just Snuffy Smith. Fritzi Ritz became Nancy. On the Fastrack has always been about office stuff but the focus has changed. The Robotman strip has already been mentioned.
If you wanted a Holbrook comic as an example, you should have gone with Safe Havens. It used to be about a daycare centre. Later it was about a university. For a while it was about a trip to Mars. Now it's about merfolk.

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

Murdstone posted:

This is making me try to think of how many comic strips have changed their premise... Fritzi Ritz became Nancy.

And transitioned back for a short period of time known as the Gilchrist Error

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

Vargo posted:

[

Wallace the Brave

I know we keep calling out Wallace as the best, but LOOKIT THE ZOMBIE SEAGULL IN THE MIDDLE PANEL

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From The Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side Of The Horse

Legend of Bill

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Tiggum posted:

I don't know how or why this unremarkable comic is breaking people's minds like this. The premise is that a family is camping in their backyard while their house is renovated, and one of the kids talks to animals.

Probably because the premise has worn out it's welcome and people are wondering how it can possibly sustain itself? I don't even hate the comic, I've had good stuff to say about it, but at some point one starts to wonder how long this premise can be extended.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (August 02, 2001)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

EasyEW posted:

Thimble Theater (February 6, 1940)

Now this is why I'm so hard on modern Popeye's version of Pappy- the interpretation of him being a well-meaning but obnoxious sailor is just a lot more interesting and funny than his being a generic Bad Dad.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

riderchop posted:

Heathcliff

pug shots

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

riderchop posted:

Classic Arlo and Janis (August 02, 2001)

:prepop:

1981 comics

I'm not a sports guy but I guess Too Many Bowl Games was a thing at this time? I saw a filler comic in the TV section on the same topic:

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Legends in the Heights

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

That's a lol from me.

Fingerpori

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Selachian posted:

He thrusts his fists against the post and still insists he sees the ghosts.

drat, was not expecting that to be applicable any way outside of It.

Also, Arlo and Janice was always cool.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Jul 6, 2023

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Haifisch posted:

I'm not a sports guy but I guess Too Many Bowl Games was a thing at this time? I saw a filler comic in the TV section on the same topic:

Early 1980 there were (quick Google) 15 different Bowl games, some of which had been added in recent years. I think what was really booming at that time, though, was televised football. It had happened in some form or another since television began, but the networks started having dedicated segments like Monday Night Football in the 70s and cable television was becoming more of a household stable as well, which spurs advertising and thus awareness. I definitely remember jokes growing up about the different names for Bowl games and that first comic fits right in. The second one is definitely about TV coverage in general, everyone was looking for eyeballs and providing a more exciting view of the action was part of that.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1943

Pluggers

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

manero posted:

Nancy 1943

I worry for these animals.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Feb. 09, 1958)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 7/5/03

Notice the coffee mug.

Brenda Starr 4/23-25/51

Whoa. This has gone from "bitter older sister holds her younger sisters back" to ... something else entirely.

"Suffer and deform your feet for arbitrary beauty standards like the rest of us!"

Smokey Stover 8/28/55

Everyday Movies 7/31/36

"So you took the last piece of candy? You were always that way, Sister. And I'll never forget either how you took the sewing machine when you left home to get married."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 10/20-22/41

And with that, I'm out for the weekend, so I'm afraid you'll have to wait a while to see the further adventures of Scarlet O'Neil, Advice Columnist.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Murdstone posted:

Andertoons

https://youtube.com/shorts/KMFtD1kM6yw

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Loving the granny announcing that she's gonna go demolish that dick. :allears:

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Tiggum posted:

If you wanted a Holbrook comic as an example, you should have gone with Safe Havens. It used to be about a daycare centre. Later it was about a university. For a while it was about a trip to Mars. Now it's about merfolk.

I can respect that Holbrook decided to do a real-time, multi-year trip to Mars and back in his comic strip, and stuck to it for the full duration.

Everything that happened on that trip, though, was sheer madness.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Curtis

I'm tempted to stop posting Curtis until the turtles resume.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Vargo posted:

Curtis

I'm tempted to stop posting Curtis until the turtles resume.

Just as he's about to get horribly scarred?

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Mr. Squishy posted:

Just as he's about to get horribly scarred?

The scar will be gone within three strips anyway.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Selachian posted:

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 10/22/41
I'd say that Brenda Starr had better watch out, except that Scarlet will get distracted and forget all about the newspaper within about two weeks.

Not that the same isn't also true of Brenda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Ghostlight posted:

He does appear to actually have "instincts" though and they're "tool use".

Why yes one of the supporting characters is a car mechanic what does that have to do with anything?