Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Captain Monkey posted:

Definitely don't look up what summer is like vis a vis the sun before you do.

gently caress i forgot goddammit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Henchman of Santa posted:

I'm fine with the sun being up at 8 p.m. but I don't like it being so bright at 6 a.m.

We're down to under six hours of dusk here now, sun sets after 22 and is up before 4.

We don't mind, really, but it is a saddening reminder that in six months we'll be down to less than six hours of sun instead.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Phosphine posted:

We're down to under six hours of dusk here now, sun sets after 22 and is up before 4.

We don't mind, really, but it is a saddening reminder that in six months we'll be down to less than six hours of sun instead.

where do you live and can i move there

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The Fast & The Furious is a significantly better film series than James Bond.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

No. James Bond is the only half decent thing England ever did, don't take it from them.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

olives black posted:

where do you live and can i move there

South-ish parts of Sweden. You probably can!

If you go further north you eventually reach the parts where the sun just doesn't set. In Kiruna it's up from mid may to mid july or something like that. It's pretty freaky. And conversely, you get some time during winter where there is no sun at all.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Gaius Marius posted:

No. James Bond is the only half decent thing England ever did, don't take it from them.

Looks like someone has forgotten about the Reliant Robin.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

As much as I loath the English, and I think that fact is pretty well established, they were responsible in a way for making America so they do deserve the worlds praise and credit for that. However, they also started Australia which is an unforgivable sin.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
I feel the English were responsible in a way for making America, which is an unforgivable sin.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Grassy Knowles posted:

I feel the English were responsible in a way for making America, which is an unforgivable sin.

This is a hate crime

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

oldpainless posted:

This is a hate crime

America isn’t a hate crime, it’s a collection of hate crimes

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Hey pal, a lot of those are just regular crimes

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Grassy Knowles posted:

America isn’t a hate crime, it’s a collection of hate crimes

But America gave us Jazz and Insane Clown Posse

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

oldpainless posted:

This is a hate crime

good

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

forest spirit posted:

But America gave us Jazz and Insane Clown Posse

And Doom and Quake.

None of this absolves us, sorry.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The next Fast and the Furious movie should reveal that Ramsey is Lydia Tars daughter from Tar. It would make perfect sense, they both have British accents, nothing in the movies contradicts each other, and it would be a very natural way to get Tar into the Fast and Furious franchise.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Gripweed posted:

The next Fast and the Furious movie should reveal that Ramsey is Lydia Tars daughter from Tar. It would make perfect sense, they both have British accents, nothing in the movies contradicts each other, and it would be a very natural way to get Tar into the Fast and Furious franchise.

Isn’t there tons of tar from the pavement?

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Grassy Knowles posted:

Isn’t there tons of tar from the pavement?

Tars are the rubber things on the wheels.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
The Power of Positive Thinking has caused more unnecessary death and destruction than The Anarchist's Cookbook and it's not remotely close.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Nameless Pete posted:

The Power of Positive Thinking has caused more unnecessary death and destruction than The Anarchist's Cookbook and it's not remotely close.

yep :d2a:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Sherbet is severely underrated. It’s a lighter, more refreshing treat than ice cream.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Gripweed posted:

Sherbet is severely underrated. It’s a lighter, more refreshing treat than ice cream.

Do you mean sorbet?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
How is that pronounced? I want to call it "sher-bey" because it looks French but everyone I know calls it "sher-bert" even though that adds an R

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

alexandriao posted:

Do you mean sorbet?

I said sherbet, I meant sherbet

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

edit: not the star trek thread lol

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Gripweed posted:

I said sherbet, I meant sherbet

Sherbet is a powder so I don't know why you are comparing it to Ice Cream

Sorbet is a frozen desert

They're two completely different things so idk why you would use the former term for the latter

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
I’ve only ever seen it spelled “sherbert” but it’s a frozen dessert as well and isn’t the same as sorbet. Pretty sure it’s a southern US thing. I don’t like it. Ice cream or that fancy Italian ice cream that I don’t know how spell but sounds like Geppetto from Pinocchio is the way to go.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

It's not the same thing as sorbet and it's pronounced "sherbert" (but not spelled that way)

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Huh…I’ve been spelling a dessert wrong my whole life. Well, this being maybe the second or third time I’ve ever done it since being so thoroughly disappointed in a frozen dessert.

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.
Just, what?

I guess my milquetoast opinion is more people need to read a cookbook or some poo poo, because sherbert and sorbet are both very different foods and pronounced differently

Sherbert (sher-bert) is fruit + dairy in it and you've probably gotten it at the country club as dessert, a majestic scoop of rainbow sherbert that they scoop out of a five gallon cardboard parcel that's been sitting in the walking freezer for five months

Sorbet (sorr-bey) is just frozen fruit juice and sugar whipped and frozen

It's often touted as a fancy thing you can buy at jennis or vanhuesens or whatever for 11 bucks a tablespoon but it's just fruit and sugar, my people

They call that wudda-ice in Philadelphia and nobody cares

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Sherbet :eng101:

When I just type "sherbert" into Google, the first results are "what's the difference between Sherbet and Sorbet?"

I didn't know the difference. I mean, I knew there was one, but I only know because sorbet doesn't typically have dairy in it and so I eat that, and haven't touched sherbet since I was a kiddo.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

alexandriao posted:

They're two completely different things so idk why you would use the former term for the latter

Nope. They said what they said and they were right.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

alexandriao posted:

Looks like you have a lot of learning and growing to do about sherbet

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.
Sherbet vs Sherbert is a UK/USA as far as I know, and in my personal experience the south/southwest says sherbet, the northeast is sherbert??

All I can say is I worked in canada-bordered restaurants a ton in NY and if you asked for sherbert you got garbage, if you asked for sorbet you got the nice stuff

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
I am from Oregon and say “sherbet” and it drives my wife, who is also from Oregon and says “sherbert,” crazy.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Blue Moonlight posted:

I am from Oregon

My condolences

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

oldpainless posted:

My condolences

Oregon rocks. I can't find my house on Google Earth because there are too many trees, there is no sales tax, and minimum wage sufferers have to pump our gas while we fart in our SUVs like kings

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Oregon the state or the municipality in Wisconsin?

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

Grassy Knowles posted:

Oregon the state or the municipality in Wisconsin?

Wisconsin is very cosmopolitan. It has a Denmark, a Luxembourg, a New London, and a New Berlin (pronounced with the emphasis on the Ber- instead of the -lin), and probably more that I can't think of at the moment. I'm sure other states have them too, I'm just more familiar with the ones in my home state.

All of those places are little villages with barely anything there.

Fifty Farts has a new favorite as of 04:32 on Jul 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

beats for junkies posted:

Wisconsin is very cosmopolitan. It has a Denmark, a Luxembourg, a New London, and a New Berlin (pronounced with the emphasis on the Ber- instead of the -lin), and probably more that I can't think of at the moment. I'm sure other states have them too, I'm just more familiar with the ones in my home state.

All of those places are little villages with barely anything there.

You forgot Cuba City