Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Waffle House posted:

What pain is this dumbfuck even talking about?
the existential pain of a bigoted melting candle that he projects onto every photo he views

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
there is a time and place for nudity. the time is now and the place is threads

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

temple posted:

there is a time and place for nudity. the time is now and the place is threads

gamer roomie is 41
May 3, 2020

:)
My twitter feed is really dull and lifeless now. I thought people were being overly dramatic about how it’s “over” but something definitely feels done, at least among the many people I follow. Some people just don’t post any more, and others clearly half-rear end it where they used to be really engaged. My “following” feed is mostly just a handful of bots that bothered to deal with the api changes. Not gonna lie it kinda sucks and is sad for me, ya don’t know what you got til it’s gone!

Maybe twitter is actually thriving and there’s a great platform renaissance elsewhere on the site but I can’t really tell because it’s hard to scroll through thousands of Alibaba reseller ads to find anything new!

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!

Grey Cat posted:

I know they're just SO dangerous. Empires have withered over such dark mystical tools such as these.

People actually believe this though! It's loving wild, there's an entire subgenre of chud video essay dedicated to how women having sexual freedom is what doomed the Roman Empire.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
So is threads.com a viable enough business in their own right that they’re super annoyed at Zuck for infringing on their namespace, or small enough that they’re hoping they can sell out the domain name for $$$?

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

gamer roomie is 41 posted:

My twitter feed is really dull and lifeless now.

yeah twitter sucks poo poo

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

emSparkly posted:

People actually believe this though! It's loving wild, there's an entire subgenre of chud video essay dedicated to how women having sexual freedom is what doomed the Roman Empire.

Godesses, I hate this timeline.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

The amount of people trying out Threads is pretty impressive. Way lower bar of entry than Mastodon.

Feed is a fire hose of absolute poo poo, but if they make a timeline that is just people you follow, could see it winning the war. You'd think Facebook would be a company that could eat a year or two on the tool being profitable (which lol) in favor of just making the Twitter people are asking for. But who knows.

gamer roomie is 41 posted:

My twitter feed is really dull and lifeless now. I thought people were being overly dramatic about how it’s “over” but something definitely feels done, at least among the many people I follow. Some people just don’t post any more, and others clearly half-rear end it where they used to be really engaged. My “following” feed is mostly just a handful of bots that bothered to deal with the api changes. Not gonna lie it kinda sucks and is sad for me, ya don’t know what you got til it’s gone!

Maybe twitter is actually thriving and there’s a great platform renaissance elsewhere on the site but I can’t really tell because it’s hard to scroll through thousands of Alibaba reseller ads to find anything new!

Nah, this is right. Most of my infrequent posting friends have abandoned the site, all the fun bots are shutting down, and the addicts mostly just tweet about how Twitter is over.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jul 6, 2023

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

I made a thread account this morning (aus time) and was given user number 7 hundred thousand or so. Got someone in the office to make an account just now and they were user 8.9 million (ish).

(If you go into your Instagram profile it tells you your threads join number under your profile pic/icon in the top left)

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Entropic posted:

So is threads.com a viable enough business in their own right that they’re super annoyed at Zuck for infringing on their namespace, or small enough that they’re hoping they can sell out the domain name for $$$?

If they're domain squatting, I imagine Zuck's first offer would have been one they couldn't refuse.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

throotse.cx

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

XYZAB posted:

Bleets.

Troats

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Threads is a hellscape because I have like 300 followers on Instagram and the only two (2) followers that made the hop are goon shitposters like me.

It'll even out in a few days once more normies come over.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

CatstropheWaitress posted:

The amount of people trying out Threads is pretty impressive. Way lower bar of entry than Mastodon.

Feed is a fire hose of absolute poo poo, but if they make a timeline that is just people you follow, could see it winning the war. You'd think Facebook would be a company that could eat a year or two on the tool being profitable (which lol) in favor of just making the Twitter people are asking for. But who knows.

Yeah the head of Instagram posted that a followed only feed is “on the list,” I think they just want it to be that firehose of content right now to make it look lively, even if it’s mostly trash

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Phrosphor posted:

I made a thread account this morning (aus time) and was given user number 7 hundred thousand or so. Got someone in the office to make an account just now and they were user 8.9 million (ish).

(If you go into your Instagram profile it tells you your threads join number under your profile pic/icon in the top left)

The ease of access, and the actual functionality will help establish that network effect before people start carving out niches. It's going to be pretty disruptive even if it doesn't immediately bury the corpse of Twitter.

Hope Musk starts publicly making GBS threads himself more.

Renreeja
Oct 11, 2007

Its an assassination coordinates level attack of Musky is what it is i tell ya, Zuck needs to be charged woth stochastic assassination! The bonesaws are braying!

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm proud of Zuck for finally doing something good in ruining Musk's dumb new toy.

Zuck still sucks major rear end, but he finally got himself a nice moment here.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

A newspaper item about Threads:

https://www.theage.com.au/business/companies/meta-takes-aim-at-twitter-with-the-launch-of-rival-app-threads-20230706-p5dm5h.html

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
Made my threads account using my Instagram account that I only created because I couldn't follow certain artists on Twitter anymore lol

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

It's a Mastodon instance? Do I understand this correctly?

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

lmao this naively calling right now "Twitter's lowest point". Hold Musk's transphobic, racist shitboer beer.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Phrosphor posted:

I guess that only works if you created your Threads account through Instagram. I downloaded the app from the App Store as soon as I got the notification it was available and my Instagram profile doesn't show a Threads user number. Shame, I was curious how quickly I got in, wanted to see if I finally beat my old ICQ number.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Phrosphor posted:

They plan on implementing the activity pub protocol which mastodon and other fediverse servers also implement. It is not/will not be a mastodon instance

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Phrosphor posted:

I don't quite understand how they're going to enforce "no nipples allowed" while also "you can interact with people on other platforms with random rules"

Tho I guess at some point it falls on "you brought this on yourself" territory

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Azhais posted:

I don't quite understand how they're going to enforce "no nipples allowed" while also "you can interact with people on other platforms with random rules"

I expect the rules will only apply to posts made on Threads, but you can subscribe to any content from third-party instances you want; because I have no idea how they'd even begin to enforce content restrictions on the fly for federated content.

I'm sure advertisers will love that. There's probably an 80% chance that Threads never actually supports the fediverse protocols, and they forget that they ever promised it.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Mastadon is full of people posting rear end and demanding the return of guillotines, I don't think threads federation is going to work unless it's just with the boring tech instances.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

biznatchio posted:

I expect the rules will only apply to posts made on Threads, but you can subscribe to any content from third-party instances you want; because I have no idea how they'd even begin to enforce content restrictions on the fly for federated content.

I'm sure advertisers will love that. There's probably an 80% chance that Threads never actually supports the fediverse protocols, and they forget that they ever promised it.

Yeah I kind of doubt federation is going to happen, both because of the challenges to Facebook and because most of the fediverse doesn't want to federate with Facebook

chird
Sep 26, 2004

My number is under 03 mil. Feels there's been a real drop in posting quality since 04s started joining tbh.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
Is there no web interface for this poo poo? Is it really only an app because it can't scoop up my data as well from Firefox?

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr
At Kirkr, you gape.
Verified gapers get a gold ring

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice

Carlos Lantana posted:

At Kirkr, you gape.

Looking into it.

Context
Sep 11, 2006
Assuming the fediverse thing happens though, does that mean I could just copy my Threads follow list to a Mastodon account and see all the posts in a timeline view? Effectively allowing third party apps?

That whole aspect is the only thing giving me hope in this whole endeavor. I don’t know why Meta would have brought up the idea if they’re not going to do it, so I wonder if they think it’ll make them less responsible for bad things that happen on the platform or something.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Here’s Mastodon’s post about the whole thing: https://blog.joinmastodon.org/2023/07/what-to-know-about-threads/

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

Edit quote not edit

KinkyJohn fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Jul 6, 2023

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

kazil posted:

"interesting" says the CEO of the racist company

Want this loving piece of poo poo to die so badly it eclipses my lust for Kissinger's death.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

Elon Musk: Welcome to the Plantation, n-word

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

quote:

XMPP did not exist on its own outside of nerd circles, while ActivityPub enjoys the support and brand recognition of Mastodon.

I like the fediverse but lol

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

I was never big on the "for you" page on Twitter but I don't mind the way Threads is set up. Mainly because so far it's not showing me a bunch of boring poo poo and mouth-breathing idiots, and it's showing me some decent posts. Still would like a "following" tab but so far I'm not hating it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

big black turnout posted:

I like the fediverse but lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXJKdh1KZ0w&t=40s