Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Lancaster deputies throw this lady to the ground while she's filming and pepper spray the gently caress out of her.
All because they think the guy may have stolen a $5 cake.
https://abc7.com/lancaster-winco-grocery-store-deputies-caught-on-video/13459979/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccbxRxXEG3c

Language and violence in this vid.
https://twitter.com/TheTNHoller/status/1676329781795647488

OgNar fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jul 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

OgNar posted:

Lancaster deputies throw this lady to the ground while she's filming and pepper spray the gently caress out of her.
All because they think the guy may have stolen a $5 cake.
https://abc7.com/lancaster-winco-grocery-store-deputies-caught-on-video/13459979/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccbxRxXEG3c

Language and violence in this vid.
https://twitter.com/TheTNHoller/status/1676329781795647488
I can't tell if that music when the news report switches to the "New Desk" is parody or not. Like it almost seems like something right out of The Onion.

The Full videos are actually worse...
Edit: Made this easier; here's youtubes of the full videos:

Bodycam Video 1 (From the officer restraining the alleged cake shoplifter):
https://www.lasdvideos.org/mediaportal/062423-lancaster-incident-dep-1/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2uub3T6_PQ

The alleged cake shoplifter was there communicating with the officers that he told the security guard to call the cops if he thought he stole the cake and that his was sitting there waiting for them to arrive. The cops immediately go, flank him while he's sitting on a rock holding the cake, and immediately go to pat him down. No questioning, no conversation, nothing; just immediate patdown. On top of it to pat him down they start to handcuff him. At no point is he resisting, and he's verbalizing that. Then the officer tells him to have a seat and forces him to the ground (I mean, there's a rock nearby, he could have just asked him to have a seat, but whatever), forcing him to fall into the bushes. Doesn't let him get back up. The whole time the alleged cake shoplifter is fairly calm given the circumstances. He's worried about his sister who is getting manhandled for recording since she has cancer.

Bodycam Video 2 (From the officer restraining the sister):
https://www.lasdvideos.org/mediaportal/062423-lancaster-incident-dep-2/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_4nbuH3cLE

Starting from 52 seconds... The officer has been helping detain the alleged cake shoplifter notices the sister is nearby recording them with her smartphone. He then immediately approaches her without any communication, and starts reaching to grab the phone (at 58 seconds). Not her, but her phone. She pulls it away, tells him he can't touch her while making a downward swipe as he approaches; he grabs her arm and begins detain her, tries to press her to the car, fails, then throws her to the asphalt. Then goes to tackle her on the ground, restrain her with a neck hold from behind and a hand grabbing for her arm. He releases the neck hold, pulls her face up, and tells her to stop or she will be punched in the face. She says if he punches her he'll get sued (she's a paralegal). She says she can't breathe. She screams, says to stop manhandling her, the officer pulls out the pepper spray and continually sprays her for 3 or 4 seconds, starting with her head and trying to get her eyes. She tells the officer, crying, to call the Sheriffs Commander, and the officer continues to manhandle her while trying to handcuff her.

This whole situation is bullshit, especially over a loving $5 cake. No attempt at de-escalation, no sign of any threat from the suspects, no real communication, attempting to stop recording by force... just everything wrong and violent. I hope the officers lose their jobs (because that's the best we can hope for unfortunately), I hope the department eats poo poo in court, and I hope the man and his sister win a huge settlement from the city.

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jul 6, 2023

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

BeAuMaN posted:

I hope the officers lose their jobs (because that's the best we can hope for unfortunately),

The inconvenience of having to apply to the department a town or two over will surely teach them a lesson.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

BeAuMaN posted:

This whole situation is bullshit, [...]. No attempt at de-escalation,

Serious question, is de-escalation even taught/advised in police academies outside of maybe Berkeley

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

iirc salt lake city does. there's body cam footage out there somewhere of a SLC cop talking down someone with a knife trying to suicide by cop, where most would have just happily shot the dude and taken the free vacation. the bar is so fuckin low

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

withak posted:

The inconvenience of having to apply to the department a town or two over will surely teach them a lesson.

Vallejo PD has probably already reached out to them offering a job

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

OMGVBFLOL posted:

iirc salt lake city does. there's body cam footage out there somewhere of a SLC cop talking down someone with a knife trying to suicide by cop, where most would have just happily shot the dude and taken the free vacation. the bar is so fuckin low

Didn’t that dude get fired for not shooting the person holding the knife?

Edit: It was West Virginia lol

Cop fired for not shooting armed suicidal suspect

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

FlapYoJacks posted:

Didn’t that dude get fired for not shooting the person holding the knife?

Edit: It was West Virginia lol

Cop fired for not shooting armed suicidal suspect

"for insurance reasons, I now have to shoot you, otherwise I'll lose my job"

amazing society we live in

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Hadlock posted:

Serious question, is de-escalation even taught/advised in police academies outside of maybe Berkeley
I couldn't say for sure; I'm not a cop :v:. Verbal Judo has been around since at least the 90s (I also watch Deviant Ollam a lot; a physical security researcher/penetration tester, and he gave a great talk on de-escalation applied to non-LEOs in management or say, security at conventions). CA POST (Police Officer Standards and Training) held a summit on De-escalation in 2019 and published this in 2020. SB-230 from the 2019-2020 session was passed into law requiring standardization and public posting of use of force, along with regular and periodic training on use of force.

All of this is to say that officers should be receiving regular training on use of force. That may not be the finer art of de-escalation, but you can see if you watch the videos that they didn't even TRY conversation; which would be the go-to for investigation. The guy was holding a cake, so he wasn't reaching for a weapon. He waited there for them, to talk with the police, to give his side of the story. They immediately went and restrained him to put in handcuffs because they wanted to pat him down. For what? Weapons? He's holding a cake. Stolen goods? The alleged thing that he stole is right in plain sight. I mean when I said de-escalation, we're talking about a super low bar. It's not like, as
OMGVBFLOL, talking someone with a knife down trying to suicide by cop.

What could have happened: Have a conversation with the guy (He's waiting to tell his side of the story!), have a conversation with the guard to confirm also that this is the guy he was talking about, and get their side of the story; review any evidence if there is any, and if there's any previous incidents with this person. If it's over a $5 cake, advise the store to just let it go. If they don't want to, there's a simple solution: Trespass the alleged cake shoplifter for a period of time as advised by the representative of the store (the guard or manager); maybe 6 months, maybe a year. That does not mean an admission of guilt; tell the person the store is convinced they're guilty, doesn't want them back, and they're officially trespassed, and to not walk upon the store's property for x amount of time. Done.

I mean it's also allegedly over a single incident of a $5 cake; the store should just loving drop it. The police should have just asked for any footage. This should have never even resulted in a police interaction. It's all incredibly dumb.

Also I note the guy wanted to talk to the cops; don't talk to the cops.

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jul 6, 2023

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I mean, you can also go over and look at the LA Sheriff's Department Policy Manual:
https://pars.lasd.org/Viewer/Manuals/10008?returnContentID=10235#pagePosition_15

Use of Force Policy:

LASD 3-10/020.00 posted:

Department members are authorized to use only that amount of force that is consistent with Department policy and objectively reasonable to perform their duties. "Objectively reasonable" means that Department members shall evaluate each situation requiring the use of force in light of the known circumstances, including, but not limited to: the severity of the crime at issue, whether the suspect poses an immediate threat to the safety of the member or others, and whether the suspect is actively resisting, in determining the necessity for force and the appropriate level of force.

NOTE: For additional considerations, see Factors in Determining the Reasonableness of Force, MPP 3-10/111.00 - Use of Force Review - Watch Commander/Supervising Lieutenant's Responsibilities.

When force is utilized, it shall be deployed in a manner that avoids unnecessary injury to deputies and civilians. Department members maintain the right to self-defense and have a duty to protect the lives of others.

Department members may only use a level of force that they reasonably believe is necessary, reasonable, and proportional to the seriousness of the suspected offense or the reasonably perceived level of actual or threatened resistance.
Force Prevention and De-escalation Principles

LASD 3-10/009.00 (Partial Quote) posted:

Department members shall only use that level of force which is objectively reasonable, and force should be used as a last resort. Whenever feasible, Department members should endeavor to de-escalate confrontations through tactical communication, crisis intervention, advisements, warnings, verbal persuasion, and other common sense methods (such as utilizing alternative tactics) which can prevent the need to use force, or reduce the amount of force, that is required.

When force must be used, deputies and staff shall endeavor to use restraint techniques when possible, and use only that level of force necessary for the situation, de-escalate force immediately as resistance decreases, and discontinue using force once a threat or resistance no longer exists.

This poo poo is clear as day. They hosed up. Again, I hope they eat poo poo in court. The cops in question should get criminal charges imo (I'm not a lawyer though), but I imagine this will be relegated to failure to train by the department somehow, so I hope the victims from this police brutality are able to win a large settlement from the city.

Edit: Since this whole incident occurred on WinCo's property as well, which can trigger liability, I hope they get a suit as well and end up settling.

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jul 6, 2023

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Pretty sure this is the same district where the one deputy got the wrong gang tattoo, so they took him camping, fired a shotgun and tried to burn it off with the hot barrel.
The deputy later got disability.

e: wait, no, that was in Kern County, which is just north of Lancaster
https://knock-la.com/deputy-gang-tattoo-shot-off/

OgNar fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jul 6, 2023

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

withak posted:

I hear ya, but california does have a law about this!

Unfortunately it's only decertified 53 cops so far, but we do have a list:

code:
Alameda County SD: Javier Manzo
Cathedral City PD: Claudiu Murzea
Contra Costa County SD: Erick Anthony Rossi
Desert Hot Springs PD: Andrew Zamudio 
Fairfield PD: Camille Langi
Fort Bragg PD: Christopher K. Awad
Fresno County SO: Francisco Perez 
Kern County DA: David Wesley Hubbard 
Kern County SO: Brandon Michael Lawrence 
Los Angeles County SD: Jose L. Carranza, 
Jim A. Devoe, Hiraudi Y. Lopez-Romero, Kevin J. Pacheco, Remin Felix N. Pineda, Armando R. Ramirez
Los Angeles PD: Luke Baxter Walden
Madera County SD: Jassiem Wills
Oakdale PD: Nicholas Stewart
Oakland PD: Phong Thanh Tran
Pittsburg PD: Patrick Berhan 
Redwood City PD: Shawn Patrick Nimau
Riverside County SD: Nicolas Nolten
Rohnert Park DPS: Joseph Huffaker
Rohnert Park DPS: Brendon Jacy Tatum
San Bernardino PD: Sonny Aguilera, 
Fidel Ocampo-Rodarte
San Diego County SD: Jose A. Soto, 
Allen Wereski, Cory D. Richey
San Diego PD: Cesar Alcantara
San Francisco PD: Davin Lyle Cole, Adam Eatia, Kevin Lyons, Kevin Sien
San Rafael PD: Daniel Lawrence Fink
Sanger PD: J. Deshawn Torrence. 
Sierra County SO: David Morris 
Sonoma County SO: Adam Marlowe
Stockton PD: Nicholas Bloed, 
Torrance PD: Christopher W. Allen-Young, 
Omar Alonso, David Frederick Chandler, Anthony R. Chavez, Matthew Brian Concannon, Brian Keith Kawamoto, Joshua G Satterfield, Blake Williams, Victor Valley College PD: Robert Leander Seeley III
Whittier PD: Jose Angel Escobedo, Cynthia Lopez, 
Salvador Murillo
Willits PD: Raymond D. Hendry
Torrance....not surprising and also LOL

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

BeAuMaN posted:

I mean, you can also go over and look at the LA Sheriff's Department Policy Manual:
https://pars.lasd.org/Viewer/Manuals/10008?returnContentID=10235#pagePosition_15

Use of Force Policy:

Force Prevention and De-escalation Principles

This poo poo is clear as day. They hosed up. Again, I hope they eat poo poo in court. The cops in question should get criminal charges imo (I'm not a lawyer though), but I imagine this will be relegated to failure to train by the department somehow, so I hope the victims from this police brutality are able to win a large settlement from the city.

Edit: Since this whole incident occurred on WinCo's property as well, which can trigger liability, I hope they get a suit as well and end up settling.

i mean, the LA County Sherrif has also had actual organized crime operating protected within their ranks, so idk how much credence i'd give their published policies

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Law has only been in effect for ~1 full year; according to statista 93,000 police officers in california* and according to icma 66% of officers do patrol** = 61,000 patrol officers, 53 bans = ...

1 in slightly less than 1200 chance, per year, of getting banned from being a cop

Although apparently the average cop only stays in the profession for 3 years***, so basically 1/1200 people who apply and ultimately are hired are criminally bad at their job. Or something.

*https://www.statista.com/statistics/750805/number-of-state-and-local-police-in-the-us-by-state/
**https://icma.org/sites/default/files/305747_Analysis%20of%20Police%20Department%20Staffing%20_%20McCabe.pdf (page 9)
***https://www.zippia.com/law-enforcement-officer-jobs/demographics/

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

OMGVBFLOL posted:

i mean, the LA County Sherrif has also had actual organized crime operating protected within their ranks, so idk how much credence i'd give their published policies
It's not about how credible they are, it's about that they have these policies and the officers violated them clear as day. Which will feed into failure to train and potentially stripping them of protections (I doubt the latter will happen).

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

right, and my point is that violating written policy clear as day is beyond routine, it's top-down de facto policy. violating a written policy doesn't mean poo poo, if this lady hadn't been filming there wouldn't even begin to have been a case here

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

OMGVBFLOL posted:

right, and my point is that violating written policy clear as day is beyond routine, it's top-down de facto policy. violating a written policy doesn't mean poo poo, if this lady hadn't been filming there wouldn't even begin to have been a case here
It does mean something when it goes to court (or when it gets setup for settlement pre-court). And there would have been a case because of the bodycams. Maybe it wouldn't have spread on social media as fast, but she could have PRAed the bodycam footage (or her lawyer subpoena'd them) and it could have gone on social media after. It's actually the bodycam footage that looks the worse than the tweeted footage.

We can talk about how corrupt cops are forever, but the policies and laws do mean something when you can sue the agencies. The larger amounts of money the city has to pay, the more likely they're going to take steps to try and rectify the problem. If they continue to incur increasingly large settlements, the city's insurance will increase rates or stop insuring the city unless they implement different policies. Further, depending on how far the individual officers violate the policies, they can lose qualified immunity (don't hold your breath though), or perhaps breech the terms of the insurance coverage.

I'll laugh if the victims get Ben Crump for representation, though this case might not be large enough for him to step in.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

BeAuMaN posted:

We can talk about how corrupt cops are forever, but the policies and laws do mean something when you can sue the agencies.

I'm the immigrant mother of children working 2 jobs that's just gonna sue, ez.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Ranter posted:

I'm the immigrant mother of children working 2 jobs that's just gonna sue, ez.

Hi, I'm the ACLU, nice to meet you. I read about your story in the news.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
the system works 🥰

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Hi, I'm the ACLU, nice to meet you. I read about your story in the news.

Oh so now not only do we need to have a 3rd party video of the incident, it needs to make the news.

Good system you have there lmao

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
Am crazy or have PG&E's prices been going up again?

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

side_burned posted:

Am crazy or have PG&E's prices been going up again?

the spice must flow

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Gotta pay for all those destroyed towns and murdererd people somehow.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

jetz0r posted:

Gotta pay for all those destroyed towns and murdererd people somehow.

Remember when Newsom threatened to nationalize them and then ultimately didn't do jack poo poo

Why can't we have a nationalized grid :(

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
because you said something mean to a democrat once🙈

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

MUDs work great and everyone should have one. it isn't even hypothetical, Sacramento kicked out PG&E decades ago and literally everything about utilities improved, including cost. pg&e continued existence is a waste of money

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
we have seattle city light up here and they are pretty good

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I mean yeah if you just have to own and maintain the infrastructure in an urban area that's super cheap. PG&E has to maintain all the infra for pretty much the entire state right? Urban areas probably subsidize rural customers to a huge extent, and rural customers (or, infrastructure that services them anyways) are almost exclusively the source of wildfires. If cities become their own providers of course it's cheaper, the risk of fire is pretty low and manpower needed to inspect/maintain power infra in urban areas is probably a third of what is needed in rural areas, maybe less.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
PG&E mostly doesn't do the "maintain" part of that equation. Just the own, and get paid, parts.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Captain Oblivious posted:

PG&E mostly doesn't do the "maintain" part of that equation. Just the own, and get paid, parts.

Sometimes they have to say they’re sorry for burning down a forest and causing a few billion dollars worth of damages and killing several people and thousands of animals.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

FlapYoJacks posted:

Sometimes they have to say they’re sorry for burning down a forest and causing a few billion dollars worth of damages and killing several people and thousands of animals.

only if the stock price takes a dip

e: also smud serves all of sacramento county, not just the city of sacramento. parts of placer too. sacramento's rural areas aren't like, deep rural but there's a shitload of farms and open space

Cactus Ghost fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Jul 7, 2023

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

FlapYoJacks posted:

Also occasionally exploding an entire suburban neighborhood.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

OMGVBFLOL posted:

MUDs work great and everyone should have one

I mean usually, but sometimes they let the highest level users create content, and they create very newbie unfriendly zones as some sort of misguided gatekeeping

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

OMGVBFLOL posted:

MUDs work great and everyone should have one. it isn't even hypothetical, Sacramento kicked out PG&E decades ago and literally everything about utilities improved, including cost. pg&e continued existence is a waste of money
During the Enron rolling state brownouts of the early 2000s the city-owned Los Angeles Department of Water and Power kept everyone's lights on at 100% with zero disruptions, which just goes to show the superiority of the Free Market, I guess?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Jaxyon posted:

I mean usually, but sometimes they let the highest level users create content, and they create very newbie unfriendly zones as some sort of misguided gatekeeping

lol nice

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Jaxyon posted:

There generally should be zones for all levels and it's OK to have newbie unfriendly zones as long as there are warnings and they are located off an area further from the newbie friendly zones

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

fermun posted:

There generally should be zones for all levels and it's OK to have newbie unfriendly zones as long as there are warnings and they are located off an area further from the newbie friendly zones

Yeah but having them be right next to newbie zones or putting roaming high level agro mobs in newbie zones is lovely

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Hadlock posted:

PG&E has to maintain all the infra for pretty much the entire state right? Urban areas probably subsidize rural customers to a huge extent, and rural customers (or, infrastructure that services them anyways) are almost exclusively the source of wildfires.

Power for urban areas is usually generated a fair distance away, with the lines traveling through rural areas to get there. The neglected power lines in the rural Feather River Canyon that started the Camp Fire carry electricity to places as far away as Oakland. Just because the lines fail in rural areas doesn’t mean that’s where the power is going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

fermun posted:

Jaxyon posted:

Yeah but having them be right next to newbie zones or putting roaming high level agro mobs in newbie zones is lovely

That plus the high level zones clearly have the most attention to detail put into them and are given all the best loot and most interesting quests, not to mention they're often the most convenient to access. Grinding in newbie zones is usually a miserable and tedious experience, involves a lot of travel time, and gives very minimal reward.