Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

you do get respawn bonuses for being alone but that doesn't really compensate for the problem where every now and then you'll hear cannon fire while in the middle of some cave network or deep underwater on a quest, because no matter how quickly you get back to your ship there's gonna be some rear end in a top hat sitting on it waiting to spawn kill you while his friend clips your season pass to davy jones'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
From what I understand, Dead Island 2 delivered better on the whole 'It's a sequel to a mostly brainless zombie smasher, there's a plot maybe whatever who cares it exists to push you towards more zombies so gently caress off' than Dying Light 2 did.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

My impression of DI2 is that the characters are supposedly terrible but if you can push through that there's an enjoyable (though perhaps a little outdated) game in there. I thought it released relatively bug-free compared to other AAA games this year.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Oh yeah, another mandatory thing for Sea of Thieves is an SSD, so hope you've got 100+ GB free on one or every load screen will last upwards of 4 minutes, including respawning

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Oh yeah, another mandatory thing for Sea of Thieves is an SSD, so hope you've got 100+ GB free on one or every load screen will last upwards of 4 minutes, including respawning

Yeah you're not wrong... SoT is insanely slow without an SSD. No other game I've played seems to be nearly as bad as SoT, if it's installed on a regular HDD! This is the most annoying thing about SoT for me, personally

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Mordja posted:

Yeah I think most people were pretty happy about DI2 so I just put it down to Jack Trades being Jack Trades.

I'm not gonna pretend that I'm not aggressively biased against bland AAA poo poo but from what I've seen of DI2 it's exactly that.
Bland story, cringeworthy dialogue, damage spongy enemies, garbage loot and crafting systems, bla bla bla you've all heard before. It's a modern AAA game through and through.

I don't particularly wanna yuck anyone's yums, it's definitely no Redfall or Gollum, but I don't think I've seen a single interesting thing in that game.

EDIT: Actually, the amount of times the game tries to push you to use "Alexa Game Control" could be described as "interesting".

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
Dead Island 2 has interesting bits: the world assets

They spent all that time making a detalied Los Angeles and then bolted a stat/weapon grinder on top. The combat system is better than Cyberpunk, but they have the better story and characters, both made the same assets mistake (imo). And unlike Cyberpunk you can't save the game by making more Dead Island in a DLC, because "just more combat" is not gonna be interesting (compared to more good characters and story).

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

sebmojo posted:

Speaking of pirates I got rogue from ps plus and there is a bit 20 minutes in when it drops to the real world and there's some corporate woman screaming at you and calling you a dumbass and in what insaneo universe did they think that was a good idea lol

Welcome to Assassin's Creed games. People always complain about it but they just keep doing it because it's part of their lore and ~vision~ or whatever.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Wait Dead Island 2 actually came out?

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
Epic Games exclusive, I think, which is why i missed it releasing.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

lol, that'd do it

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

EGS is a marketing black hole.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Dead Island 2 is supposedly super good at least, but yeah i'm waiting for the Steam release.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Jack Trades posted:

EGS is a marketing black hole.

That’s not true, they have squarely marketed themselves as the free games store

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Platinum Collection for July 2023 is live on fanatical:
https://www.fanatical.com/en/pick-and-mix/platinum-collection-build-your-own-bundle

3 for $9.99/5 for $14.99/7 for $19.99

quote:

Soulstice
Tails of Iron
Garden Story
Tyrant's Blessing
Battle Axe
Wall World
Severed Steel
Beyond the long night
Camp Canyonwood
NecroBuncer
Floppy Knights
Them's fightin' herds
Kitaria Fables
Unsouled
Escape the Backrooms
Plebby Quest

https://www.fanatical.com/en/game/far-cry-6-game-of-the-year-edition
Far Cry 6 is fanaticals star deal.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Ended up picking up the Case of the Golden Idol and it was pretty neat.

Hopefully not the last Obra Dinn-style deduction game.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

So a friend gifted me a copy of a game I'd previously deleted from my library... and Steam won't let me accept the gift, citing an "unknown error"

I'm guessing that's because of the whole "the original game key is still tied to your account" detail of the deletion process?

edit: okay I did not know you can straight-up just restore the game via Steam support, huh

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jul 6, 2023

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

You can delete games from your library?

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

explosivo posted:

Well, from your account, but apparently it's not even as permanent a choice as the prompt makes it out to be lol

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Can I delete my account??

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Fun Times! posted:

One of the admins here can

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Fun Times! posted:

https://help.steampowered.com/en/faqs/view/21A6-7C93-6CFE-100B

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

explosivo posted:

You can.

But it’s not permanent. It’s just as easy to add them back to your account as it is to “permanently” remove them. It’s all just done via Support and it’s self serve.

A “removed” game won’t appear in your library anymore but you can’t scrub existence of it from your account entirely. They’ll still pop up in some areas, such as the “similar to the games you’ve played” bit in the store, along with your play time.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Cross-Section posted:

So a friend gifted me a copy of a game I'd previously deleted from my library... and Steam won't let me accept the gift, citing an "unknown error"

I'm guessing that's because of the whole "the original game key is still tied to your account" detail of the deletion process?

edit: okay I did not know you can straight-up just restore the game via Steam support, huh

what game was it?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

what game was it?

Duke Nukem Forever

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqCxyt5QRSg
Helldivers 2 really does just look to be the first game but in 3D now. The one noticeable thing that seems to be missing is vehicles, though maybe they just haven't shown them off yet.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I'm sure it's going to be great I just feel like you lose the thing that made the game unique when moving to a behind the back shooter like every game already is.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

cruelty squad makes me feel like I've died and gone to hell

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Black Griffon posted:

Life makes me feel like I've died and gone to hell.
Cruelty Squad makes me feel like I co-own a JoAnn's fabrics with Satan

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Black Griffon posted:

Someone's divine light is severed

Everyone point and laugh at the flesh automaton animated by neurotransmitters

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
*points and laughs at monitor, which is turned off*

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

So I saw Dying Light 2 got a big update recently that people seem to like, is it worth getting now or is it still better to just go back and play the first game?

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006

explosivo posted:

I'm sure it's going to be great I just feel like you lose the thing that made the game unique when moving to a behind the back shooter like every game already is.

I agree, but I'm also excited for new Helldivers. The first game was one of my top ten for that year and I've always dug Arrowhead's games. Who knows, Risk of Rain 2 was a big hit that people seemed to like even more than the first one, and it made a similar transition of perspectives.

Here's hoping they capture some of the same magic, and here's hoping that pubbies learn that you don't need to kill every bug on higher difficulties!

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Bad Seafood posted:

Dave the Diver looks fun but how's it run on a laptop? I've had a few modern games with unintimidating specs run surprisingly hot.

I travel for my job so just getting a PC isn't really in the cards.

this doesn't really answer your question, but fwiw, it works great on a steam deck

i've largely switched to a steam deck over laptop gaming for anything that doesn't need kb+m, and even games that need kb+m, you can start it on a deck and stream it to your laptop (i did this with Satisfactory and the Dark and Darker Demo, and was impressed with the performance both times)

Colin Mockery fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jul 7, 2023

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

drat Dirty Ape posted:

So I saw Dying Light 2 got a big update recently that people seem to like, is it worth getting now or is it still better to just go back and play the first game?

unless they changed the entire story somehow, stick with the first game

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Hwurmp posted:

unless they changed the entire story somehow, stick with the first game
I liked the first game in spite of the story. You’re saying this is somehow worse?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Dying Light 2 is good and worth it if you enjoyed the first one, especially if you can get it on sale and even moreso if you can rope a friend in with you. The story is still dogshit but they've been supporting the hell out of the game since it came out. It looks better, runs better, has new weapons and overhauled parkour system as of this latest update.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I liked the first game in spite of the story. You’re saying this is somehow worse?

Yes, they somehow made the story in DL2 even more dogshit

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Also, a new gore update a few months ago. I thought it was ok but I still haven't finished it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I played it when it first came out, and it ended with a fight against the evil zombie mastermind who is also your loving father, and zombie blood injections have somehow given him powers of superjumping and throwing goddamn kamehamehas

you beat him and then you find your adopted sister who always called you AYDENBABAYDEN, and you have to turn off her life support to stop missiles from destroying the city for...some reason

then there was literally just a black screen that says "You saved the city"