Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Toxic Mental posted:

Fellas, FELLAS

Take it to the FUCKIN NERD thread

I have bad news, **holds up mirror**

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

The roof seems like a weird place to plant explosives

Not if you want to make sure the explosions are nice and visible since Russia is taking the approach of portraying this as a Ukrainian false flag attack on their own nuclear power plant. Russians aren't letting the inspectors into a lot of areas of the plant (because that's where they planted the internal explosives). The IAEA have specified that they have not seen any explosives in areas they're allowed to see and that they are being kept from going into many parts of the complex by the occupeirs.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

It's not if you want to do a false flag saying it was a rocket attack by Ukraine. :shrug:

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

spankmeister posted:

I have bad news, **holds up mirror**

You're supposed to turn it around the other way bro

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Toxic Mental posted:

You're supposed to turn it around the other way bro

*flips it upside down like in a slapstick comedy*

Hmm nope no difference

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Oh yea lol I totally forgot the whole point was to pin it on ukraine :negative:

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
If you want a laugh, the latest insanity going around the tankiesphere is that like birds, nukes aren't real.

https://twitter.com/OwenBenjamin/status/1676079422489890816?s=20

https://twitter.com/OwenBenjamin/status/1676088966838366209?s=20

Never thought I'd see nuclear truthers but here we are. inshallah let it end already bring on the giant meteor

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

If you want to blow up a power plant, you blow up the entire thing, not just the inside part.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Toxic Mental posted:

If you want to blow up a power plant, you blow up the entire thing, not just the inside part.

not really. you can render a nuclear power plant completely useless permanently with a few well placed charges in the coolant pipelines or fuel rod rack assembly. or by destroying the water inflow pipes from the coolant source. or by removing the boron/graphite control rods too far from the reactor and letting runaway fission do the rest. or placing a charge on the pressurized relief tank and causing a steam explosion inside the reactor core. placing a charge on the condensor and turbine which would disable all electrical generation until total replacement (good luck!). hell the easiest way to render a nuke plant useless is to close the feedwater pump or circulation pump and just let overheating do the rest. tons of other ways too, and they'd all leave the building more or less intact structurally.

you can destroy a dam by placing a charge on the outflow control gate and let the cubic kilometers of water do the rest for you

its comically easy to destroy a power plant of any kind without destroying the entire complex - IF you have access to said plant.

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Jul 6, 2023

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

spankmeister posted:

:goonsay:

You clearly also have no loving clue what you're talking about. You're talking about microscopes and the physical effects being utilized are only present very close to the object emanating them. Show me a source describing an application of your magic lenses in imaging further away than a few centimeters and we can continue this discussion.

I said the diffraction limit is not a hard physical limit, and can be overcome. I gave an example of it being overcome experimentally.

You then said it was 'magical thinking' to believe that the diffraction limit could be overcome.

But sure here's a telescope imaging below the diffraction limit

OBSERVATIONS OF BINARY STARS WITH THE DIFFERENTIAL SPECKLE SURVEY INSTRUMENT. III. MEASURES BELOW THE DIFFRACTION LIMIT OF THE WIYN TELESCOPE*

https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/0004-6256/141/6/180/meta

or if you specifically want a superlens on a telescope

Design and fabrication of photonic crystal superlens for mid-infrared telescopes

https://www.spiedigitallibrary.org/...391.short?SSO=1

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jul 6, 2023

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Owen Benjamin isn’t a tankie, he’s a straight up Nazi and faintly successful(?) actor. Like, the Kevin Sorbo to Kevin Sorb

E: even faintly successful feels like an over exaggeration but he has a filmography with some totally normal entries (near where he called Obama the hard-r)

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Tunicate posted:

I said the diffraction limit is not a hard physical limit, and can be overcome. I gave an example of it being overcome experimentally.

You then said it was 'magical thinking' to believe that the diffraction limit could be overcome.

But sure here's a telescope imaging below the diffraction limit

OBSERVATIONS OF BINARY STARS WITH THE DIFFERENTIAL SPECKLE SURVEY INSTRUMENT. III. MEASURES BELOW THE DIFFRACTION LIMIT OF THE WIYN TELESCOPE*

https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/0004-6256/141/6/180/meta

or if you specifically want a superlens on a telescope

Design and fabrication of photonic crystal superlens for mid-infrared telescopes

https://www.spiedigitallibrary.org/...391.short?SSO=1

quote:

We are developing a photonic crystal superlens based on negative refraction effect for mid-infrared astronomical telescopes to improve their angular resolution. The superlens will convert incident beams of large F-number to output beams of small F-number without changing image height. Firstly, we designed the superlens by theoretical calculations. We optimized two-dimensional dielectric structures of the superlens by calculating its band structures and iso-frequency contours using Plane-wave expansion (PWE) method. We also studied interface structures of input/output ports of the superlens in order to maximize its transmittance by numerical calculations using Fourier modal method (FMM). Then, wave-propagation simulations through the superlens by Finite-difference time-domain (FDTD) method showed that Full Width Half Maximum (FWHM) of point spread function will be reduced by approximately 15%. Secondly, we are trying to manufacture the superlens using a three-dimensional laser lithography system based on two-photon polymerization process. We also have measured complex refractive indices of SU-8 photoresist around wavelength of 10micron by spectroscopic ellipsometry. The fabrication and optical benchmark of the superlens are currently underway. In this paper, we present experimental results as well as the design process of the superlens.

Thank you, Mr. La Forge. When will my warp core be back online?

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

spankmeister posted:

:goonsay:

You clearly also have no loving clue what you're talking about. You're talking about microscopes and the physical effects being utilized are only present very close to the object emanating them. Show me a source describing an application of your magic lenses in imaging further away than a few centimeters and we can continue this discussion.

it's easier with close up sure but interferometry (et al) is pretty nuts in terms of what it lets you do? like, we photographed a black hole kinda, which iirc was significantly beyond normal diffraction limits.
I don't have real evidence either way but I can easily imagine the folks behind KEYHOLE coming up with something better than Hubble since like uh 20+ years before Hubble, without requiring a physical mirror 5 times the size nowadays. And for military intelligence purposes photorealism doesn't rate.

e: drat this moves fast.

teen witch posted:

Owen Benjamin isn’t a tankie, he’s a straight up Nazi and faintly successful(?) actor. Like, the Kevin Sorbo to Kevin Sorb

E: even faintly successful feels like an over exaggeration but he has a filmography with some totally normal entries (near where he called Obama the hard-r)

:golfclap: for "Kevin Sorbo to Kevin Sorb"

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
They (:nsa:) probably just use AI to fill in the face details from lower-resolution images

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

HonorableTB posted:

Thank you, Mr. La Forge. When will my warp core be back online?

:techno: Why don't you take a look yourself?
:ughh: What do you mean, Mr. LaForge?
:techno: You see, Captain, the refractive index is a measure of how light propagates through a particular medium. It's like the speed limit of light, so to speak. It slows down depending on what it's moving through, and a higher number means light is moving slower.
:ughh: Go on.
:techno: Now the funny thing is, this material has a negative index of refraction. You know, back in the 20th century, astronomers used to use large ground-based telescopes to see what the universe was like in the distant past.
:ughh: Then, you're saying that this telescope -
:techno: Can see the future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tIWYtcwp2I

Ripperljohn
May 13, 2014

Is it time to blast Fire-Water-Burn yet or are we still waiting

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Dr. Quarex posted:

I am not sure if she is the final form, as I feel like they can always get worse, but she can contradict herself in the same sentence and none of her supporters care. As long as you hate Democrats you can never have a wrong opinion

It is my opinion that in the entire alternative facts world, including the Russian propaganda extended universe, contradictions are more thought of as a test / show of loyalty. It doesn't matter if it's impossible or not, you either go along or you dont.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 27 hours!)

Lord Stimperor posted:

It is my opinion that in the entire alternative facts world, including the Russian propaganda extended universe, contradictions are more thought of as a test / show of loyalty. It doesn't matter if it's impossible or not, you either go along or you dont.

Hence Zelenskyy, the Nazi Jew.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
buy the dip

https://twitter.com/economics/status/1676581691341565955

https://twitter.com/Maks_NAFO_FELLA/status/1676866990445678592

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?
"General, we've created a super meta-material spy telescope, and can finally image a face from orbit! The only issue is that we need a secondary mirror next to the person's face at a 45 degree angle, otherwise we're just stuck looking at the tops of their heads."

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the serious things are maps and things like that, which is why major power generals can't really do things outdoors anymore

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

HonorableTB posted:

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1676707829250502657?t=S7CwGNggi6_gryA6sOriag&s=19

- Breakthroughs around Bakhmut and Velyka Novosilka
- HIMARS o'clock at Makiivka AGAIN
- 36 artillery pieces destroyed in last 24 hours including 9 MLRS
- Three Shaheds were shot down
- A BM-21 Grad was destroyed
- Railway station at Yasynuvata was destroyed, an important logistics hub for RU
- RU clowning around in Sevastopol and causing traffic accidents
- Tokmak received some bavovna
- T-90S destroyed
- Local administration building in occupied Volnovakha destroyed by HIMARS
- 1 Scooby-Doo van liquidated

I'm a bit sceptical whether Yasynuvata is really a major hub. It's only 8 km from Avdiivka, so it's easily hit by a howitzer or even a heavy mortar. I suspect Ilovaisk and Debaltseve are the major logistics hubs in the Donbas.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

HonorableTB posted:

If you want a laugh, the latest insanity going around the tankiesphere is that like birds, nukes aren't real.

Never thought I'd see nuclear truthers but here we are. inshallah let it end already bring on the giant meteor

Gawd, anything they cannot see with their own eyes in their front porch is not real to these people. How do they even function? :psyduck:

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

ShredsYouSay posted:

"General, we've created a super meta-material spy telescope, and can finally image a face from orbit! The only issue is that we need a secondary mirror next to the person's face at a 45 degree angle, otherwise we're just stuck looking at the tops of their heads."
The Russians just made people look up.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

A nuclear power plant seems like a weird place, too, but but here we loving are.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Tarquinn posted:

Gawd, anything they cannot see with their own eyes in their front porch is not real to these people. How do they even function? :psyduck:
Great, they are selling their stupidity to people even stupider than they are. Stupidity is thus validated and no one needs to think, reflect or face reality.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

There's a thriving, unironic Flat Earth community on YouTube and other places. Nuke denial, while bizarre, doesn't surprise me at all at this point.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

I'm a bit sceptical whether Yasynuvata is really a major hub. It's only 8 km from Avdiivka, so it's easily hit by a howitzer or even a heavy mortar. I suspect Ilovaisk and Debaltseve are the major logistics hubs in the Donbas.

By vatnik standards, even one small railway station is enough to build 'major logistical hubs' around them. This being said, the Yasynuvata station and environs have often been hit by Ukrainian strikes aimed against either stored supplies, passing trains, or troop concentrations.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1676851235519967232

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

The claim by Ukraine is that Russia would cause at the explosion at the ZNPP so it could point the finger at Ukraine. An explosion on the roof would presumably not endanger the reactor itself, but still draw international condemnation.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

HonorableTB posted:

This is an old conspiracy theory. I remember "nukes are fake" videos being some of the first videos on Youtube back in the day.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

teen witch posted:

Lmao. He went from being married to Christina Ricci to this.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

mobby_6kl posted:

They (:nsa:) probably just use AI to fill in the face details from lower-resolution images

Actually, they just yell ENHANCE a lot

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Thundercracker posted:

Lmao. He went from being married to Christina Ricci to this.

IIRC he's also a moon denier. (As in the moon is a projection) Guy's gone insane.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Vichan posted:

IIRC he's also a moon denier. (As in the moon is a projection) Guy's gone insane.

yeah but have you ever been to the moon?

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?

Vichan posted:

to be fair, so was alec guinness.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

ShredsYouSay posted:

lol, took me a second

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Lukashenko claims nuclear weapons were transported to Belarus 'not by land'

quote:

Speaking about the means of delivery, Aleksandr Lukashenko said: “I will give you a deadly fact: we did not transport the nuclear warheads by land. We didn't interfere with anyone. We transported them in a way that neither you nor the United States of America, nor MI6, nor Germany, nor anyone else had noticed it. That was the idea.”

Which is dubious

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

ShredsYouSay posted:

Wow. :discourse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 31 hours!
Spy agencies also have spy planes and spy balloons.