Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

ShredsYouSay posted:

to be fair, so was alec guinness.

... lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Vichan posted:

IIRC he's also a moon denier. (As in the moon is a projection).

what

zone
Dec 6, 2016

What rubble doing?

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA

Uhhhhh.... Congrats, you got cargo planes? Truly the pinnacle of 2023 technology.

celewign
Jul 11, 2015

just get us in the playoffs

tiaz posted:

it's easier with close up sure but interferometry (et al) is pretty nuts in terms of what it lets you do? like, we photographed a black hole kinda, which iirc was significantly beyond normal diffraction limits.
I don't have real evidence either way but I can easily imagine the folks behind KEYHOLE coming up with something better than Hubble since like uh 20+ years before Hubble, without requiring a physical mirror 5 times the size nowadays. And for military intelligence purposes photorealism doesn't rate.

e: drat this moves fast.

:golfclap: for "Kevin Sorbo to Kevin Sorb"

I work in this industry, and although I can't go into detail I can say that your mistake is assuming technology advances on these sensors are limited to visible light resolution improvement.

I'm not sure why the government would want to resolve a face from orbit anyways, people choose to have unique RF signatures associated to themselves 24/7 that are highly detectable.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Tafferling posted:

Uhhhhh.... Congrats, you got cargo planes? Truly the pinnacle of 2023 technology.
I mean... we're talking about RU army for which pallets are an unfamiliar concept (probably because their usage turns men gay and real men move everything by hand when they create giant piles of explosive stuff)

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Dwesa posted:

I mean... we're talking about RU army for which pallets are an unfamiliar concept (probably because their usage turns men gay and real men move everything by hand when they create giant piles of explosive stuff)

relevant:

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

I absolutely adore nonsensical conspiracy theories. Who the gently caress benefits from the moon not being real lmao

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

I feel like there's a multifaceted reason as to why Ukraine is accurately blocking Russian ammo depots. Partly I believe it is due to Russian intelligence but also I think it is part of the CIA bragging about how easy it is to recruit Russian spies in the federation. And part of that gives them a lovely wealth of knowledge as to where these shells and everything are going and what routes are being run.

I mean the US government has satellites that can recognize people's faces from loving orbit it's not hard to track ammunition centers and where they are going.

Also the Russian informants can very simply just tell the US which loving buildings they are in and then you crane can be told of this and then bomb them very accurately.

Or it's drones too.

Like I said I think it's multifaceted and I think drones are going to get you pretty far informants are going to get you farther but all of these things combined are going to get you to the point where you're popping 9 ammunition depots a day.

Bingo.
If an informant says "They are stockpiling ammo *here*" and a drone goes and confirms the info, then OH HIMARS!

Satellite imagery is good for tracking overall force movement but the results can be delayed just because there's so much info to sift through. Now if they have the eyes in the sky on a big ammo dump far from the lines, and notice in a later pass that the pile of missiles got smaller, then they know to track the movement towards the front lines and oh tell the UAF to get some drones in the area and hey maybe the CIA can lean on an informant because they know stuff is on the move.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

zone posted:

What rubble doing?

number go up that's good I'm sure

so many rubles!

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

zone posted:

What rubble doing?

As much fun as number go up/down is, due to the sanctions and currency controls imposed by Russia, the rubble value is completely arbitrary.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Dwesa posted:

does the Russian Army have socks yet? (not a joke)

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Wurzag posted:

I absolutely adore nonsensical conspiracy theories. Who the gently caress benefits from the moon not being real lmao

Werewolves.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

That's why Russia invaded the Don bass is to secure the literature that proves the Moon is fake

And to liberate the US Ukrainian Moon indoctrination centers

Vaginaface
Aug 26, 2013

HEY REI HEY REI,
do vaginaface!

Samovar posted:

Werewolves.

Only closeted ones though

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Lord Stimperor posted:

It is my opinion that in the entire alternative facts world, including the Russian propaganda extended universe, contradictions are more thought of as a test / show of loyalty. It doesn't matter if it's impossible or not, you either go along or you dont.

It could also be a sort of voluntary barbarism, an attitude of asociality where the only things that are real are what you have personally experienced or remember, or what feels right to you. In contrast to the collectivist mass formations of the 1930s, modern fascism seems almost like the opposite extreme, extolling atomization and alienation as ideals. If you have no respect for or trust in society at all, you are superior to the :smug: sheeple :smug: who paid attention in school and try to work with other people.

Oldsmobile
Jun 13, 2006

SPERMCUBE.ORG posted:

Lmao apparently Prig can just show up and do whatever the gently caress he wants or something? Gonna poo poo in Putin's yogurt next? It looks so bad the longer nothing very bad and highly visible happens to this loving guy.

The Hot Dog Putsch: From Blyat to Wurst

I'm not sure if I'm disappointed he's not dead or happy he can just waltz in like that.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

No, they don't have socks again. They abandoned footwraps in 2013 and started issuing them to mobiks again in 2022 due to a shortage of socks.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

zone posted:

What rubble doing?

Nothing good

zone
Dec 6, 2016

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Even recently there's been footage of a number of mobiks wearing sandals with no socks or even footwraps.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Vichan posted:

IIRC he's also a moon denier. (As in the moon is a projection)

Ah, the Imperishable Night Incident

Also, given how comically visible and drawn out the preparations around ZNPP are, I'm starting to wonder if they are trying to be noticed. In other words, the point is not to actually blow it up, but to be SEEN to be going to blow it up/threatening to blow it up in the near future, in the hope that the mere prospect of such an incident causes European publics to get nuclear anxiety that the Russians are "really going to do it", causing them to regain their fear of nukes, and increase support for making concessions to Russia and throwing Ukraine under the bus.

Basing it on the recent psychotic blog from that Russian scientist (and Medvedev's various drunken rants) about how the Western public had become desensitised to nuclear threats and needed to be reminded that they should be cowed by them and submit to Russian demands.

Basically, it could be theatre, attempting to evoke public fear of nuclear escalation, without actively creating a REAL nuclear incident, which carries ACTUAL risks of genuine escalation.

On the other hand, if the last year has shown anything, it's that a good chance they are just really that loving dumb.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1676939704183275521
45 more POWs were returned in an exchange today.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

From CNN (Can't link direct to it but you can ctrl-f the text to find it)

https://www.cnn.com/europe/live-news/russia-ukraine-war-news-07-06-23/index.html

quote:

Prigozhin is "free," Lukashenko says

Belarus President Alexander Lukashenko said he did not believe Russian President Vladimir Putin would seek vengeance on Yevgeny Prigozhin.

“I know for certain that Prigozhin is free. And right now, as well, he is free. We spoke several times on the phone. Yesterday after lunch, we talked with him on the phone and just discussed ... further actions of Wagner [private military company].”

Lukashenko said earlier that Prigozhin, who has not been seen in public since June 24, was now in Russia, despite an earlier claim that he would be exiled to Belarus.

Speaking at a news conference in Minsk on Tuesday, he said:

“What will happen to Prigozhin next? Well, everything happens in life. But if you think that Putin is so malicious and vindictive that he will ‘kill’ Prigozhin tomorrow – no, this will not happen.”

Putin knows Prigozhin “much better than I do,” Lukashenko said.

“You have to understand that Putin knows Prigozhin much better than I do and knows him longer than I do, about 30 years, as they both lived and worked in St Petersburg. They had very good relations with each other, maybe even more than that.”

In the wake of Prigozhin’s aborted insurrection and Lukashenko’s intervention, the Kremlin touted Lukashenko’s relationship with Prigozhin.

“The fact is that Alexander Grigoryevich [Lukashenko] has known Prigozhin personally for a long time, for about 20 years," Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said on June 24. "And it was his personal proposal, which was agreed with Putin. We are grateful to the President of Belarus for these efforts.”

:raise: that puts an angle on it I never considered :lol:

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Wurzag posted:

My dad who will finally buy my book for 70 doll hairs :)

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

slidebite posted:

https://www.cnn.com/europe/live-news/russia-ukraine-war-news-07-06-23/index.html

Luka making his opening play to be the next Tsar :allears:

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!
For non-moving targets you can combine multiple images using superresolution techniques to improve, well, resolution. This is probably great to get details on a moored ship, rocket launch complex or airbase, not so great for getting the unique scalp-print ID on someone.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

slidebite posted:

😳

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.

slidebite posted:

the boyars back in town

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

potee posted:

the boyars back in town

:golfclap:

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Arzachel posted:

As much fun as number go up/down is, due to the sanctions and currency controls imposed by Russia, the rubble value is completely arbitrary.

The value of rubble will skyrocket while the value of the ruble plummets.

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

slidebite posted:

Schrödinger's Vatnik

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
https://twitter.com/Maks_NAFO_FELLA/status/1676961319776575488?t=f_M8lWJDyH74QPJG8RLmFA&s=19

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

In other lighter news, from a Danish newspaper:

Jens Stoltenberg reassures everyone that he is treated well

Last night, Jens Stoltenberg showed up in a hostage video from NATO HQ, where he assured us he was not unduly suffering.
"My guards have informed me that I will be staying in Brussels until the 1st of October 2024, which is not that long when you consider that I've already been here for over nine years. Besides, the people here are both competent and kind, and I can reassure you all at home that I am being treated in accordance with the requirements of the Geneva convention", says Stoltenberg in the video.

"I look forward to going home to my family upon my release. I miss Norway, and would be thankful if anyone could send me some lutefisk - I'm not crazy about the food down here", he added.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
heard on the news Lviv got hit, go home russia what are you even doing like please we need an adult

zone
Dec 6, 2016

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS posted:

heard on the news Lviv got hit, go home russia what are you even doing like please we need an adult
Simple terrorism, because they're tired of getting their rubbish shot down near Kyiv, they aim their missiles and drones at less protected locations now.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

CannonFodder posted:

Satellite imagery is good for tracking overall force movement but the results can be delayed just because there's so much info to sift through.

Also clouds

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

Computer viking posted:

In other lighter news, from a Danish newspaper:

Jens Stoltenberg reassures everyone that he is treated well

Last night, Jens Stoltenberg showed up in a hostage video from NATO HQ, where he assured us he was not unduly suffering.
"My guards have informed me that I will be staying in Brussels until the 1st of October 2024, which is not that long when you consider that I've already been here for over nine years. Besides, the people here are both competent and kind, and I can reassure you all at home that I am being treated in accordance with the requirements of the Geneva convention", says Stoltenberg in the video.

"I look forward to going home to my family upon my release. I miss Norway, and would be thankful if anyone could send me some lutefisk - I'm not crazy about the food down here", he added.

Jens not being useless is pretty weird as a Norwegian. He’s actually doing a good job (despite/because him never being in the military)

Before he was asked to continue as leader of NATO he almost became the director of the national bank, and he’d be a train wreck there as he wouldn’t have any legitimacy

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Arzachel posted:

theres almost certainly both a black market for hard currency and peeps arbitraging the black and white market prices, so this is the show of how the currency controls failed (they always do, but to radically varying extents. sometimes 1%, sometimes 99%)

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
I wonder if russia has ebay, I could probably be a rubble millionaire with what I have in my swear jar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
I can't wait for the rubble to be the next Iraqi Dinar currency fad.