Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

wheatpuppy posted:

There was that one woman who wrote a book about (iirc) homosexuality being punishable by death in England. Only to find out, in a live interview after publication, that she had completely misunderstood the legal terminology she was quoting.

Naomi Wolf, this link includes the interview: https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-50153743

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

Oh yeah, I remember that one too. There was some wording that was confusing if you accepted it at a cursory level without any further research, but I forget the exact details and my searches are way too vague to find that case.

"Sentence of death recorded". She thought it meant "we sentenced them to death, which is recorded here" but what it meant by this point in history was "we wrote down that they had been sentenced to death but we didn't actually do it christ what do you think we are, barbarians?"

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Captain Hygiene posted:

Oh yeah, I remember that one too. There was some wording that was confusing if you accepted it at a cursory level without any further research, but I forget the exact details and my searches are way too vague to find that case.

It was buggering me so I Googled until I found her. Can't wait to see what the algorithm starts recommending for me based on searches like "sodomy legal research" and "19th century buggery laws."

Naomi Wolf posted:

"People widely believe that the last executions for sodomy were in 1830,” Wolf told the Observer. “But I read every Old Bailey record throughout the 19th century, so I know that not only did they continue; they got worse.”

quote:

According to Sweet, who first challenged Wolf on Radio 3’s Arts and Ideas, her error concerning Silver stems from a misunderstanding of “the very precise historical legal term, ‘death recorded’, as evidence of execution, when in fact it indicates the opposite”.

The historian Richard Ward agreed, adding that the term was a legal device first introduced in 1823. “It empowered the trial judge to abstain from formally pronouncing a sentence of death upon a capital convict in cases where the judge intended to recommend the offender for a pardon from the death sentence. In the vast majority (almost certainly all) of the cases marked ‘death recorded’, the offender would not have been executed.”

E:f,beaten like a 19th-C prisoner

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

wheatpuppy posted:

There was that one woman who wrote a book about (iirc) homosexuality being punishable by death in England. Only to find out, in a live interview after publication, that she had completely misunderstood the legal terminology she was quoting.

Naomi Wolf

E: drat, I had this tab open for longer than I thought.

Lemniscate Blue has a new favorite as of 04:29 on Jul 6, 2023

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Captain Hygiene posted:

The confusion was that she kept seeing "death recorded" in courtroom records of trials for homosexuality, and thought it meant the person had been executed, but actually it meant that they had been sentenced to death and the sentence was "recorded" but was almost never actually carried out.

Confusing? Yes, somewhat. Something a historian should have been able to clarify before she published a book about it? Also yes

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
It would be an understandable mistake if it was like, in a blog post, but wasn't she writing some kind of academic thesis? Lmao

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

mycatscrimes posted:

It would be an understandable mistake if it was like, in a blog post, but wasn't she writing some kind of academic thesis? Lmao

A book, sold for the mass market. Publication was largely cancelled after the interview lol.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Sagebrush posted:

The confusion was that she kept seeing "death recorded" in courtroom records of trials for homosexuality, and thought it meant the person had been executed, but actually it meant that they had been sentenced to death and the sentence was "recorded" but was almost never actually carried out.

Confusing? Yes, somewhat. Something a historian should have been able to clarify before she published a book about it? Also yes

It was incredibly easy to find out too. Like, you can look up the courtroom records yourself and find out that many of the people who had their 'deaths recorded' went on to have other things happen to them later on.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

HopperUK posted:

It was incredibly easy to find out too. Like, you can look up the courtroom records yourself and find out that many of the people who had their 'deaths recorded' went on to have other things happen to them later on.

Well that's a whole 'nother book in itself, about the Secret Zombie Invasion of 1843.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Arivia posted:

A book, sold for the mass market. Publication was largely cancelled after the interview lol.

Ok not quite as bad as a thesis but still terrible lol

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Naomi Wolf also wrote that people had been convicted of being in 'gay relationships with other men' when in fact they had raped children or animals. She's a loving hack liar and she sucks. Her wikipedia page is example after example of lazy, incomplete research.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
She also got really, really insistent that COVID vaccines are the devil. Naomi Wolf is an incredibly stupid person.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
So for my own clarification did the Death Penalty Recorded thing basically come out of it technically being illegal but people not caring as much, like "Technically I should give you the death penalty for this but we all know that's bullshit so let's just not and say we did. There'll be a fine tho"

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

From what I understand, legalistically there were two seperate processes. First you convict them, which results on sentence of death, then you can pardon them to some lesser sentence. But you can't pardon someone for sonething they haven't been convicted of so its neccesary to go through Step 1 first.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Captain Hygiene posted:

This isn't anything new, but it popped up in my feed and made me laugh all over again: Great Moments in Historical Novel Research, when an author did some googling for dye ingredients and somehow wound up putting recipes from a Zelda game into their book :bravo:

Makes me wonder what other dumb/blatant research fuckups have made their way to publication by other authors.

If memory serves, that's the author who wrote that piece of poo poo book the Boy in the Striped Pyjamas.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

This isn't anything new, but it popped up in my feed and made me laugh all over again: Great Moments in Historical Novel Research, when an author did some googling for dye ingredients and somehow wound up putting recipes from a Zelda game into their book :bravo:

Makes me wonder what other dumb/blatant research fuckups have made their way to publication by other authors.

It was really funny as he very obviously took the first result he got on google and did absolutely zero reading on what the result was.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

he obviously asked alexa and just wrote it down

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Samovar posted:

If memory serves, that's the author who wrote that piece of poo poo book the Boy in the Striped Pyjamas.

The very same, John Boyne. Imagine writing a book about the Holocaust that's so bad that the loving Auschwitz Museum is advising people not to read it, and somehow not immediately crumpling into a black hole of shame. Dude just loves writing about things he knows nothing about and refuses to do research for. And then he gets very pissy when criticized, to the point of suing people left, right, and center using the UK's garbage libel laws.

It probably won't come as a surprise that he also wrote a book about trans people, which is also really loving bad.

Perestroika has a new favorite as of 07:48 on Jul 6, 2023

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

what's really funny is people get hung up on him making a pun in english when the characters are in germany and speaking german ("they would not confuse those two words when speaking German!" *cinemasins ding*), rather than any of the rest of the book being awful

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Huh, the vampire Jesus book is on Kindle unlimited. Tempting...

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

If Google told me that you could use Hylian Shrooms and Red Lizalfos Tails to make red dye, and I was looking for that information because I wanted to write about a dressmaker preparing to poison Attila the Hun, I might do a bit more research to confirm that those things were both available, and usable in 5th century Europe. But that's not shocking from someone who wrote a book about the nine-year-old son of a high-ranking Nazi who somehow doesn't know who Hitler is.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Shwoo posted:

If Google told me that you could use Hylian Shrooms and Red Lizalfos Tails to make red dye, and I was looking for that information because I wanted to write about a dressmaker preparing to poison Attila the Hun, I might do a bit more research to confirm that those things were both available, and usable in 5th century Europe. But that's not shocking from someone who wrote a book about the nine-year-old son of a high-ranking Nazi who somehow doesn't know who Hitler is.

My favorite part is after being raked over the coals about how stupid he was, the only thing he learned was, according to him, was not to look up poison recipes anymore.

Not to like... check where he got the recipe from. Just... not to do research in the first place.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Kchama posted:

My favorite part is after being raked over the coals about how stupid he was, the only thing he learned was, according to him, was not to look up poison recipes anymore.

Not to like... check where he got the recipe from. Just... not to do research in the first place.

If the book was written a year later it would say "as an AI language model, I cannot tell you which dyes can be used as poisons"

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.

Captain Hygiene posted:

There was the romance author who plagiarized an article about the black-footed ferret for their historical romance novel.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Arivia posted:

Naomi Wolf, this link includes the interview: https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-50153743
remember with the easy poem

https://twitter.com/markpopham/status/1186995263807864832?lang=en

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Naomi Klein isn't much better really.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
Naomi Klein has written a whole book about how she is not Naomi Wolf.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Does it have a foreword by Matt Gertz?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Naomi Klein isn't much better really.
I would say that she is in fact "just fine", in that I have no complaints

she should have cowritten that book with Matt Gertz or whatever that guy's name who isn't Matt Gaetz is

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Captain Hygiene posted:

Atilla the Hun, Ganondorf, to-MAY-to to-MAH-to

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012
I had never heard of The Boy in the Striped Pajamas before and after a bit of Googling uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Like, isn't there someone at the publishing company who's supposed to stop stuff like that?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

GreenMetalSun posted:

I had never heard of The Boy in the Striped Pajamas before and after a bit of Googling uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Like, isn't there someone at the publishing company who's supposed to stop stuff like that?

They fired all their editors as a cost-saving tactic.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

GreenMetalSun posted:

They actually made a movie adaptation of it too.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

HopperUK posted:

Hard disagree but I think they're doing different things anyway.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

GreenMetalSun posted:

If you have a friend at a publisher it is extremely easy to get complete poo poo through and have their entire marketing budget behind you.

See: Patrick Rothfuss.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Kchama posted:

If you have a friend at a publisher it is extremely easy to get complete poo poo through and have their entire marketing budget behind you.

See: Patrick Rothfuss.

lol did he ever finish his super tedious Mary sue trilogy?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

NoiseAnnoys posted:

lol did he ever finish his super tedious Mary sue trilogy?

In 2013 he posted a picture of a fat manuscript and claimed it was nearly done. In 2020 his editor said she hadn't ever seen a word of Book 3 and didn't think he'd written any of it. In 2021 he read the prologue at a live event but never followed up with Chapter 1 as he promised.

Not having read any of his stuff I find it extremely funny.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Having made the mistake of reading the first book, it's extremely funny.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

A few years ago I did a class on post-war German literature, which was fairly harrowing, but also we read The Boy In The Striped Pajamas and i have never, in my entire academic career, seen a book universally loathed by the entire class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Captain Monkey posted:

Having made the mistake of reading the first book, it's extremely funny.

You need to read the second book, if only to appreciate that the guy had one half-baked idea and clearly had no idea on how to develop it, he blows through 600 pages and nothing of import happens.